Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Alienwarehouse posted:

Sorry man, we're stuck with a Cory Booker nominee in 2020.

Only if we let it happen. At this point, I don't think he's going to get the nomination, thank God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Thread title subject matter: Nancy Pelosi reaffirmed today that the Democratic Party has no plans to pursue single-payer when asked. :suicide:

We eagerly await shrike82 and JeffersonClay's explanations as to why this is a good thing.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Dear dems: When your opponents are making an unforced error by doing a really horrible thing maybe don't break into song to gloat about it while the horrible thing happens.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alienwarehouse posted:

Thread title subject matter: Nancy Pelosi reaffirmed today that the Democratic Party has no plans to pursue single-payer when asked. :suicide:

That tweet was false.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alienwarehouse posted:

*cough*

Oxxi don't ruin the surprise man, edit it out! I wanna hear Condiv and NFS get their hot takes in first. They still need to eat crow from the Montana bullshit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Dear dems: When your opponents are making an unforced error by doing a really horrible thing maybe don't break into song to gloat about it while the horrible thing happens.

Taunting evil people that you are going to punish them for doing evil things and take away their power to do yet more evil things isn't a sin

E: unless you mean it's bad 'optics' but it didn't seem to hurt the Republicans in 1993 when they sang about Democrats getting punished for raising taxes, and anyway "remember when I took away your healthcare, remember that when I hosed you over, well Democrats laughed at little ol me aren't they mean" would be an odd campaign ad for a Republican to run

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 5, 2017

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

SSNeoman posted:

*cough*

Oxxi don't ruin the surprise man, edit it out! I wanna hear Condiv and NFS get their hot takes in first. They still need to eat crow from the Montana bullshit.

Oh, because this totally exempts those two posters from relentlessly defending Hillary's centrist policies and neoliberalism altogether, correct?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Taunting evil people that you are going to punish them for doing evil things and take away their power to do yet more evil things isn't a sin

E: unless you mean it's bad 'optics' but it didn't seem to hurt the Republicans in 1993 when they sang about Democrats getting punished for raising taxes, and anyway "remember when I took away your healthcare, remember that when I hosed you over, well Democrats laughed at little ol me aren't they mean" would be an odd campaign ad for a Republican to run

If the 2016 election taught us anything, it's that voters care very very deeply about civility and proper decorum in politics.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

There's going to be a whole loving year and a half where people will be dying before the elections, and they're acting like it's a loving game of who gets more seats this time. I know it's not """good governance""" but maybe at that point it might be more courageous to gently caress off and deny the GOP a quorum.

Actually nvm, just checked and the house quorum is 218, so that's not an option either.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 5, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Alienwarehouse posted:

Oh, because this totally exempts those two posters from relentlessly defending Hillary's centrist policies and neoliberalism altogether, correct?

Lol you posted a gotcha which turned out to literally be fake news and you're gloating?

Talk about Chapo style left wing conspiracy theories.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alienwarehouse posted:

I don't think you're arguing what you're trying to argue about with this post.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

It was unnecessary, but I don't think it's going to hurt the Dems too much a year and a half from now.

shrike82 posted:

Lol you posted a gotcha which turned out to literally be fake news and you're gloating?

Talk about Chapo style left wing conspiracy theories.

Tipping your hand a bit there, silly little troll.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I go to the in and out and tell them to make my burg "chapo style"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Hi, I'd like a chapo sized bean burrito, no cheese, add guac.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That'll be 50 grand a month in patreon dollars and a healthy amount of white male privilege.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
God drat avocado prices. Screw it then, no guac.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

shrike82 posted:

That'll be 50 grand a month in patreon dollars and a healthy amount of white male privilege.

See, JeffersonClay and other Clinton apologists? This is you. This is what you sound like.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 5, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I have to say, the notion of a grifting group of white male educated podcasters that spend their time lambasting minority Democrats as being the same as the GOP while not having to worry about deportations or abortion rights is a pretty good summary of the leftist movement in the US right now.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I have to say, the notion of a grifting group of white male educated podcasters that spend their time lambasting minority Democrats as being the same as the GOP while not having to worry about deportations or abortion rights is a pretty good summary of the leftist movement in the US right now.

I like this guy

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Also a good summary of this thread

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

I like this guy

He's making fun of you, dude. Like, you in particular.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

x-post from c-spam:

quote:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/...Fm.facebook.com
A Principal Is Accused of Being a Communist, Rattling a Brooklyn School

Then one of her assistant principals, who had met with an investigator, revealed to her exactly what the allegation was, one that seemed a throwback to another era: Communist organizing.

Over the years, Ms. Bloomberg has become one of the most outspoken and visible critics of New York City’s public schools, regularly castigating the Education Department’s leadership at forums and in the news media. Most of her criticism is aimed at actions that she says perpetuate a segregated and unequal educational system and that penalize black and Latino students. Through the years, she has helped organize protests and assemblies to push for integration and equal resources and treatment for her almost entirely black and Latino student body.

"if the left is so popular, why aren't there more leftist politicians :smug:"

centrists will probably say this woman deserves to be investigated cause she was anti-segregation, unlike their darling samantha bee

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/Jaffe4Congress/status/860230770153078785

i hope jaffe wins :lol:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

shrike82 posted:

Welp, no one can criticize centrist policies any more if they come from a minority. Wrap it up, bernouts.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Majorian posted:

I'd describe my political beliefs as "woke shrike" lol

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

shrike82 posted:

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Don't you have homeless people to evict, troika.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Corey Robin on Facebook:

quote:

Here's why both Sanders and Pelosi are wrong about abortion and the left. It's not because they're saying the left is about coalitions and compromise. That is true, and it's something a lot of people on the left *and* liberals and more centrist types aren't particularly good at: alienating potential voters, pushing away potential converts, and picking stupid fights, seems to be the one thing that everyone in this broad camp knows how to do. The real problem with the Sanders/Pelosi narrative is that it's stuck in the 1970s and 1980s and 1990s. That was when the right shrewdly repositioned abortion—and questions of gender more generally—as an issue in the "culture wars," and a broad swath of the left, from neoliberal centrists like Bill Clinton to more radical class-first types, took the bait and began talking about "values voters" and how the left had to win back the working class (often positioned as white) by either soft-pedaling issues like abortion (which is, as a lot of people have pointed out, very much an economic and a class issue) or by adopting more conservative positions on abortion. That was always, I think, the wrong analysis, but it's really wrong today. Hillary Clinton did not lose voters to Trump (that is, voters who could have voted for her) because of his or her stance on abortion. Though Trump got the support of the Christian Right, no swing voter moved toward him because he somehow spoke for the "values voter." The left—again, from the neoliberal center to more radical strands of the left—can't, and perhaps more important, doesn't need to, rebuild itself by giving up on reproductive rights. Yet, like neoliberalism itself, this notion of the values voters lives on, a zombie idea, in the heads of a generation of leaders who don't realize that their work (from Pelosi's fighting to protect abortion rights to Sanders' redefinition of the political divide in the Democratic Party) has produced a new political field in which those ideas no longer obtain.

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

I just don't think the Democrats can recapture (in their minds) the Golden Era of FDR, or the Silver Era of LBJ. In 1964, Goldwater was defeated by a landslide. You had the Republican Party basically kicked out of the House and Senate. You had the liberal powerhouse of Earl Warren on the Supreme Court, and LBJ was able to jam his "Great Society" legislation through Congress. I feel like every Democratic Candidate has been trying to revisit this political era; and in some ways we have. You don't have to be a political scientist to realize the correlation between the Berkeley protests of the 1960s, and the Republicans coming into office with Nixon in 69' to the liberal protest on universities today, and the Republicans overwhelmingly recapturing the Presidency, House, and Senate.

Tommy_Udo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 5, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Wait, isn't this just implying that if you're white you have no choice but to agree with Democrats? Like, you could use this argument in literally any situation where a white person disagrees with the status quo.

You might have a point if the people in question actually advocated for things that would hurt minorities (or advocated against things that would help them), but that isn't the case?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It's a parody of a type of argument that many liberals / left-leaning people use legitimately.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Tommy_Udo posted:

I just don't think the Democrats can recapture (in their minds) the Golden Era of FDR, or the Silver Era of LBJ. In 1964, Goldwater was defeated by a landslide. You had the Republican Party basically kicked out of the House and Senate. You had the liberal powerhouse of Earl Warren on the Supreme Court, and LBJ was able to jam his "Great Society" legislation through Congress. I feel like every Democratic Candidate has been trying to revisit this political era; and in some ways we have. You don't have to be a political scientist to realize the correlation between the Berkeley protests of the 1960s, and the Republicans coming into office with Nixon in 69' to the liberal protest on universities today, and the Republicans overwhelmingly recapturing the Presidency, House, and Senate.

but apparently you have to be a political scientist to realize correlation != causation

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Condiv posted:

but apparently you have to be a political scientist to realize correlation != causation

Much less a correlation consisting of, uh, two data points.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Condiv posted:

there is absolutely a correlation, it's just a matter of how long it holds

the average white working class american hated and still hates college kids making a mess and act like they hate america

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Typo posted:

there is absolutely a correlation, it's just a matter of how long it holds

the average white working class american hated and still hates college kids making a mess and act like they hate america

yeah, two datapoints in a pattern is technically correlation. i never disputed that. i disputed that you can draw causation in this case

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Majorian posted:

and your point is...?

Oh poo poo it's you Maj. Jesus dude if you shoved some WELL MLK SAID into that post I wouldn't be able to tell you apart from Ze Pollack. Come on man.

Just on this page we had some moron take a fake tweet about Pelosi at face value. "Bu-b-b-but CENTRISTS!!!" You know what? No. Horseshit. This isn't about criticism, this is you guys firmly convinced that democrats can do no right. And as such you all use any bullshit post-hoc rationalizations to do it.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 5, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

and your point is...?

Oh poo poo it's you Maj. Jesus dude if you shoved some WELL MLK SAID into that post I wouldn't be able to tell you apart from Ze Pollack. Come on man.

Just on this page we had some moron take a fake tweet about Pelosi at face value. "Bu-b-b-but CENTRISTS!!!" You know what? No. Horseshit. This isn't about criticism, this is you guys firmly convinced that democrats can do no right. And as such you all use any bullshit post-hoc rationalizations to do it.

what are you even railing about SSNeoman? also what's this about a fake tweet against pelosi? the tweet i saw came from a checkmarked reporter that obama, keith ellison, etc followed so i kinda doubt he's making up fake news about the dems, but if you have evidence to the contrary i'd love to see it (i do hope pelosi's position on singlepayer has changed, but i doubt it)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
No checkmark. No follow-up. No verification. Posted by the editor for a left-wing zine who's retweeted it and begged for signal boosts multiple times in the last 24 hours despite having nothing to back up the story except for a brief article from his own newspaper.

Dirtbag-left Twitter is an ouroboros of credulous dipshits perpetually shrieking in each other's ears and mistaking it for a chorus of agreement.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pelosi also says that single payer needs to happen on a state level first, which is understandable since loving look at Obamacare and people's reaction to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Twitter is an ouroboros of credulous dipshits perpetually shrieking in each other's ears and mistaking it for a chorus of agreement.

• Locked thread