Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Stat gating never felt prohibitive in P3 because there were only three social stats, and each one had one method of raising them which was very clearly the correct way. On top of that, there were hardly any nighttime social links in the original games, and so nighttime was almost exclusively used to boost stats. Now that there's five of them and a million bazillion ways to raise stats and sometimes you can raise two at once or raise a social link AND a stat, you're just much more likely to hit a gate you aren't ready for.

Stat gating was bad in P3, especially because there was a strictly set order for you to raise your stats (courage, charm, them knowledge). So if you didn't know that you'd probably be quite behind when those gates come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Harrow posted:

That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that if they did, like in a rerelease, I wouldn't be upset about it if they also made another method of money-making better. Not that I actively think they should, because like others have said, if they haven't patched it by now they sure as hell never will.

Just saying because you literally said patch it out :shrug:

I'd like to see more things at the end of persona games like the monad depths from p3. With enemy's near cap levels that just give great exp and great cash.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I feel like it's even easier in Persona 5 to make your MC an impenetrable wall of resistances than it was in previous Personas, but maybe I just know more about what to look out for now.

It's mainly easy because you are physically attacked by things a lot more than usual here.
Especially by bosses.
Some things that seem almighty element aren't and vice versa.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

Just saying because you literally said patch it out :shrug:

I'd like to see more things at the end of persona games like the monad depths from p3. With enemy's near cap levels that just give great exp and great cash.

I said I wouldn't mind if it got patched out. But the game's been out in Japan for ages now and it hasn't been so eh :shrug:

Also I agree, I liked the Monad Depths a lot. Really any sort of bonus challenge dungeon would be cool, I always like those when the combat's actually fun.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The reason to patch it out would be if a lot of players were ruining the game for themselves because they felt compelled to farm for money that way even though they don't want to, but I haven't heard of that happening. Money isn't that scarce in the rest of the game, and the exploit requires a fair bit of setup.

If I were another designer on the team it would piss me right off ("No! Don't let the player disrupt the balance of my painstakingly-crafted economy!") but as a player I don't mind so much.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've died maybe 4 times to bosses the whole game and like a dozen to unlucky crits from mobs with no weaknesses.

Thanks Kali, guess I'll start the whole last dungeon over again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

By the 5th dungeon I had made it a priority to get the crit skills + Down Shot as quickly as possible.

Also at that point any time I didn't ambush the enemy I seriously considered retreating

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Deified Data posted:

I've died maybe 4 times to bosses the whole game and like a dozen to unlucky crits from mobs with no weaknesses.

Thanks Kali, guess I'll start the whole last dungeon over again.

There are enough Null/Repel Phys Personas at that point that you shouldn't be having that issue unless they Ambush you.

Also this is why you max Futaba's Confidant.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So, I'm doing Makoto's Co-op right now, and I've been noticing there are some hangout spots I can't take her to. Were they just not available on that particular day, or are there just places some characters will never hang out at?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

So, I'm doing Makoto's Co-op right now, and I've been noticing there are some hangout spots I can't take her to. Were they just not available on that particular day, or are there just places some characters will never hang out at?

Each confidant has only certain places you can hang out with them at.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kay Kessler posted:

The latter. Every location you can take a character out to will always be white on the map, even if weather would not permit you to actually go there, so if you asked Makoto out and tried to go to Dome Town or Destinyland in the rain, Morgana would tell you no.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Gotcha, thanks.

As an aside, I'm not really feeling any hate toward Mementos. I probably would if not for the fact that a) dungeon crawling in a car is fun and makes all the wandering about go so much faster and b) I'm easily pulling 100k per run, which nearly instantly absolves it of any sins in my eyes.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think you can get somas early
I sold the one they give you as DLC--50,000 yen goes a long way towards easing the early game money crunch.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rangpur posted:

I sold the one they give you as DLC--50,000 yen goes a long way towards easing the early game money crunch.

Yeah. Totally. I sold that right at the start and I don't think I was above 50k again until after the 3rd dungeon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rangpur posted:

I did that to pay off the fortune teller, as just was a really fast way to get 100,000 yen.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

(Credit not mine)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

The reason to patch it out would be if a lot of players were ruining the game for themselves because they felt compelled to farm for money that way even though they don't want to, but I haven't heard of that happening. Money isn't that scarce in the rest of the game, and the exploit requires a fair bit of setup.

If I were another designer on the team it would piss me right off ("No! Don't let the player disrupt the balance of my painstakingly-crafted economy!") but as a player I don't mind so much.

This game has not only been out for over 6 months.

One of the extra bosses can kill itself in 3 turns.

Stop the theory.

It's there intentionally.

Bad. Stop.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
How dumb is it to play the game fresh on Merciless?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
By the way, what triggers taking a Confidant out to a place? I'm trying to stockpile room decor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

How dumb is it to play the game fresh on Merciless?

The real issue with Merciless on a fresh play through is that you get a lot less money and EXP from battles. But if you're good about getting weakness or technical hits you can do a lot of damage very quickly, because those are massively increased. If you have the patience for a bit of grinding and/or don't mind doing things "underleveled" you'll probably be fine.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

Stop the theory.

Bad. Stop.
What the gently caress are you on about? I know it's not a bug. Don't talk down to me, you wanker.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SectumSempra posted:

Stop the theory.

Bad. Stop.

FractalSandwich posted:

What the gently caress are you on about? I know it's not a bug. Don't talk down to me, you wanker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbsyy6RiHeQ

BearDrivingTruck posted:

By the way, what triggers taking a Confidant out to a place? I'm trying to stockpile room decor.

You can take someone out if hanging out with them would not be a rank up. I think you might have to be somewhat high with them to get the option but I'm just speculating

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 5, 2017

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yeah, if you're going for decorations, it's a good idea to not have Personas of their Arcana.

But you should always have a Hierophant and Temperance because Jesus Christ do they take forever to rank up even with them.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Kay Kessler posted:

Yeah, if you're going for decorations, it's a good idea to not have Personas of their Arcana.

But you should always have a Hierophant and Temperance because Jesus Christ do they take forever to rank up even with them.

You get the option to do any missed hangout scenes for decorations after the confidant is maxed. You just need to choose hang out with the person when you have free time, and the "should I invite them to ___" option will appear. Just remember that this doesn't apply to the holiday specific invitations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

So there was some talk earlier this week about making Arsene into the ultimate support persona and, uh, well...

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

They also didn't fix the DLC outfits messing up party members faces so I think they just don't do patches. P5: Crimson or whatever will probably change it, like the king summon thing in base P4.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

I'm midway through June and I'm wondering if the coffee shop owner's social link is story gated? I'm only on rank 3 but I've hung out with him like 3 times with a same type persona but we're still not going to get closer next time.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Captain No-mates posted:

I'm midway through June and I'm wondering if the coffee shop owner's social link is story gated? I'm only on rank 3 but I've hung out with him like 3 times with a same type persona but we're still not going to get closer next time.

You can get it to 4, but then yes it is story gated, and it should be obvious when you can continue

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Captain No-mates posted:

Sojiro takes a LOT of hanging out to go from 3 to 4, it's intended just because of the story gate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

So there was some talk earlier this week about making Arsene into the ultimate support persona and, uh, well...

:getin:

So how much of a pain in the rear end was it to get all those skills on him? Because that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking to make.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

So how much of a pain in the rear end was it to get all those skills on him? Because that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking to make.

I think you might be able to get a bunch of skill cards for those? I know Debilitate, Auto-Mataru, Null Phys and I think Drain Ice have skill cards. I know the other Auto-Ma skills have to be passed on via gallows or something, which can be a pain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I think you might be able to get a bunch of skill cards for those? I know Debilitate, Auto-Mataru, Null Phys and I think Drain Ice have skill cards. I know the other Auto-Ma skills have to be passed on via gallows or something, which can be a pain.

Yeah, skill cards will help for half of that, at least. Gallows inheritance is gonna be a pain but I guess that's how I'm leveling him up anyway, so there'll be plenty of chances.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you get the same amount of s. link exp for sojiro from making coffee as you do from hanging out with him and you can do it on days he isn't even 'available' for s. links so yeah

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I only used Debilitate and Null Phys skill cards, everything else being gallows. As for how much of a pain it is, I guess it depends on how ideal you want the stats to be. I didn't really care about them at first, but later when I was trying to concentrate my gains on Endurance and Agility it took a bit more time. You might want to have a podcast or something at the ready.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Every Persona will have the same stat total at the same level, so at level 99, you'll have a total of 304 in stats. That doesn't leave you a whole lot of wiggle room if you want to cap three stats. You can give yourself an extra 25 points if you use the Metatron gun though, since that's +5 to every stat.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ChaosArgate posted:

Every Persona will have the same stat total at the same level, so at level 99, you'll have a total of 304 in stats. That doesn't leave you a whole lot of wiggle room if you want to cap three stats. You can give yourself an extra 25 points if you use the Metatron gun though, since that's +5 to every stat.

Also the accessory you get from putting the Crystal Skull in the chair - +5 to every stat, and high evasion against all magic attacks.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ChaosArgate posted:

And another +5 with the Roland Medal from the fixed laptop.

Instant Grat posted:

Also the accessory you get from putting the Crystal Skull in the chair - +5 to every stat, and high evasion against all magic attacks.

This one is better, but the Crystal skull is being an rear end in a top hat and won't show up for me :saddowns:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

poo poo, I kind of want to do this now. How many skill cards did that take?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You don't really do that with skill cards.
Sometimes, you can seemingly manipulate the inherited skill by swapping what you want into the slot that inherited last time but that's quite hit and miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

AG3 posted:

This one is better, but the Crystal skull is being an rear end in a top hat and won't show up for me :saddowns:

It only shows up on the very bottom layer of Mementos after the fallout from the 7th palace, or in the very last area on the path to the very last boss via enemy reinforcements (throw a Treasure Trap, raise the security level to 99%, get into a fight "normally", by hitting them before they spot you without ambushing them, then kill all the enemies and hope a Crystal Skull shows up instead of a Hope Diamond).