Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

These meltdowns over an utterly unsurprising turn of events are baffling.

Eh, the results today was completely unsurprising, but despite that I'm genuinely angry with Corbyn and his gang of wreckers for the first time since the aftermath of the EU referendum. I guess after that point I (a pre-Corbyn Labour member) sort of gave up, but now the all too obvious consequences are coming clear, yeah I'm angry.

I suppose if I had been for Corbyn the thin sliver of hope that I'd no doubt be holding onto would have disappeared this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
How many crippling election defeats is it going to take before you lot stop being furious at pissflaps for being right about Corbyn.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, you can see something coming and still be upset about it because people you care about are very likely to die.

When you demand labour is lead by somebody with a chance in hell of becoming prime minister I might believe you give a gently caress about people dying because of Tory governments.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peanut- posted:

How many crippling election defeats is it going to take before you lot stop being furious at pissflaps for being right about Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/caitlinmoran/status/860411007243563008

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

When you demand labour is lead by somebody with a chance in hell of becoming prime minister I might believe you give a gently caress about people dying because of Tory governments.

How does the Lib Dems losing ground fit into your narrative? You wanted Labour to be more pro-Remain. The centrist pro-remain party isn't doing any better? Isn't he fact of the matter that a lot of people want a right wing Brexit and that's what they're voting for?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

jBrereton posted:

Maybe a more reflective headcase would consider that someone largely liked by people like them was not representative of the aspirations of the country as a whole.

Tyrrany of the extrovert majority all over again, then.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

It's amazing that the UK still votes for the party that brought them Brexit - One can only imagine how lovely all the other parties must be.

Spoiler: people voted for brexit and are therefore quite keen on a party that will give them a red, white and blue full English brexit

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

peanut- posted:

Because at no point, ever has there ever been any indication that anyone else would have been an improvement.

Also the whole aforementioned fact that Corbyn has the gall to say that cutting services that leads to people dying is actually bad, instead of shuffling his feet and mumbling about "responsible government" or some poo poo like a good little liberal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Dude. Stop.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Yeah, it's just flabbergasting callousness.

vvv: Yeah and that one's just straight flabbergasting.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
UKIP actually gained a seat.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860465132333412354

Edit: Better result for Labour I guess

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860473479984021504

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

This is a bad enough morning without people responding to flaps.

Labour might have made some progress with a leader willing to promise not to fix anything and who got in bed with the papers but every party apart from the Strong and Stable leadership got destroyed which was a totally predictable outcome given the media narrative surrounding this election.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Looks like Labour will take West Midlands mayor comfortably.

Tees Valley is likely to be affected by the Con candidate having the very popular policy of taking the local airport into public ownership, ironically.

Stuff like this annoys me. Overall the Lib Dems have failed to recover from a massive collapse in 2015, Labour are down a few percent in vote share since the Brown/Milliband days, and UKIP has gone from 22% to 3%. Labour are the only opposition party whose vote share hasn't 'collapsed' recently. Our lovely political system simply rewards the Tories massively for uniting the right wing.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 5, 2017

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

peanut- posted:

Not his fault that the entirety of GB is full of people from both aisles who are completely delusional about Brexit. It’s going to take real, serious economic consequences, coming from Brexit, for the average working man before there is ever a chance for May to get deposed.

The Lib Dem policy of holding another referendum is retarded and shows the kind of mental gymnastics the center-left is going through at the moment.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/itnsourcenews/status/860446858883321856

50 is about 100?

Abbott must be an engineer.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Nuke everything. Seriously how the gently caress can Middlesbrough, Redcar, Stockton etc vote Tory.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is that West Midlands mayoral election result correct and is it the same electorate as the West Midlands EU Parliament seat? Because wtf if so.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is that West Midlands mayoral election result correct and is it the same electorate as the West Midlands EU Parliament seat? Because wtf if so.
Presumably the mayoral election is "Birmingham and environs" (ie the West Midland metropolitan area, the Birmingham equivalent of Greater Manchester) while the EU parliament seat includes more rural areas like the Marches.

e: Metro area vs. region

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 5, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ukle posted:

Nuke everything. Seriously how the gently caress can Middlesbrough, Redcar, Stockton etc vote Tory.

How do you normally get the poor to vote against their own best interests?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GaussianCopula posted:

It's amazing that the UK still votes for the party that brought them Brexit - One can only imagine how lovely all the other parties must be.

gently caress off Nazi

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

There is no optimistic outcome to Brexit and people are clinging to whatever notion tells them other

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jabby posted:

If the most recent opinion polls are right the vote share for Labour will be broadly similar as under Ed Miliband, although obviously polls aren't especially reliable. The vote share change in England so far in these local elections is -2% for Labour.

Labour may suffer a heavy defeat in the GE, but it seems unlikely to be because of a collapse in it's share of the vote. In that regard blaming Corbyn for the 'state of the party' is ignoring Brexit and UKIP as factors.

I reckon labour should be improving their vote share given the opportunities to do so and the fact that the pm this time round is far less charismatic.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If this abject display of abuse, excuses and self denial is the result of a bad night of local election results i dread to think what will happen on the night of the general election.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

learnincurve posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/9df67e0e-cf05-4eaa-91ce-0f5527e97d14/derbyshire-county-council

If this falls to the Tories then we will know labour are truly hosed. It would take some form of catastrophic gently caress up for People who live in houses built by the coal board to vote Tory.

Well then. Labour hosed level at maximum.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

ukle posted:

Brexit.

Redcar and Cleveland: 66.2% Leave
Middlesbrough: 65.5% Leave
Stockton-on-Tees: 61.7% Leave
Hartlepool: 69.6% Leave
Darlington: 56.2% Leave

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gort posted:

Normally you'd unite them against foreigners or some kind of other... Oh.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Looks like Labour will take West Midlands mayor comfortably.

https://twitter.com/golledge_star/status/860477581812002816

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Nobody believes you give the slightest gently caress beyond its relevence to your online attention seeking

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Nobody believes you give the slightest gently caress beyond its relevence to your online attention seeking

Every single one of your posts in this thread are about or to me.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Every single one of your posts in this thread are about or to me.

You're a narcissist who posts in this thread a hundred times a day to feed. You should be thanking me.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/860476725498695680

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Britain Elects have deleted the tweet I was talking about, looks like they were only reporting one area.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Full accelerationism is the new goal. Everything is terrible.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

This is hilarious.

How do you gently caress up so bad in only 32 seconds?

AP fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 5, 2017

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
My sister asked me to write an as unbiased as possible overview of Tories vs Labour policies as she doesn't have a clue and wants to understand them better. How does this look goons? Emphasis on trying to write this as unbiased as possible and saying what each side believes rather than what I or she should believe. Have I missed anything obvious? Made any glaring factual errors?

Firstly Brexit - you probably shouldn't make Brexit your main voting factor. Both the main parties support Brexit, and while on rhetoric Conservatives favour a "harder" Brexit than Labour, it's not possible to predict this far out what the negotiation results will be.

These are very general outlines and don't necessarily reflect the specific policies, but give an outline of each party's views towards the main issues.

Conservatives
Traditionally, the Conservative ideology is about tradition, order, hierarchy. It emphasises ambition and personal responsibility. It believes in Capitalism with minimal regulation (workers rights, environment, etc), with the money earned by large corporations trickling down to the population. Low taxes, with low Government spending & minimal Gov support/intervention.

Some general views:
- Welfare should only be available to those who most need it. The small amount of abusers should be avoided by placing the burden on claimants to prove they need it.
- Public services (trains, NHS etc) are often best run for profit by corporations. This introduces efficiencies and reduces the taxpayer cost.
- National security is usually more important than personal privacy, and certain human rights.
- Low taxes, esp for the rich and corporations, attract wealth to the country which "trickles down" to the population (via salaries, etc) and benefits the economy.
- Class and demographic privelege is over-exaggerated. Anyone with enough ambition and effort can become rich and successful. Poverty is largely the individual's fault.
- Immigration should only be available to a select few who have the skills or money to benefit the economy and society.
- Selective education (grammar schools) provides the best kids with the means to realise their potential.

Labour
In general, the Labour ideology is about rights for the population, fairness, empowerment. It emphasises equality, and believes state-provided services and welfare are important to lift people out of poverty. It still believes in a Capitalist market, but with greater emphasis on regulation (e.g. workers rights, environmental, etc) and redistribution, with progessive taxes (i.e. higher for rich/corporations) funding better public services.

Some general views:
- Welfare should be there for those that need it. They should not have to go through the stress of proving themselves, even if this means a small minority are able to abuse the system.
- For-profit public services (trains, power, etc) are abused by corporations, who care little about the public. The CEOs and stakeholders cut services to increase profits, while raising the cost (e.g. tickets) to the public. Public services (rail, health, etc) should be Government run and have greater funding.
- The unregulated capitalist market disproportionately benefits the already-rich, making them richer and more powerful. The "trickle down" effect is a lie - the rich get richer and accumulate the wealth, with benefit on paper to the economy, but no real benefit to the population and working class. Greater emphasis on supporting small businesses, rather than large corporations.
- Those from under-privileged backgrounds should be put on an equal footing with those that are naturally advantaged (through class, inherited wealth, etc). This starts at school. Poverty is largely the fault of under privilege and lack of opportunity and support.
- Traditionally more open to immigration than Conservatives (except in 2010 campaign), although have not made clear their stance these days.
- Selective education (grammar schools) is skewed towards the rich, white middle classes, and will increase the gap between them and kids from under privileged backgrounds. Money should be invested into the wider state school system.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 5, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benjamin Arthur posted:

You're a narcissist who posts in this thread a hundred times a day to feed. You should be thanking me.

Thank you for registering an account just to talk about me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/janemerrick23/status/860418712687583234

Guess I'm not British.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/860481281829859328

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/860481536981954560

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/860479577914847232

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/860481443709026304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Thank you for registering an account just to talk about me.

You're very welcome. I could happy feed your narcissistic personality disorder in exchange for you no longer trolling people who are worried about suicidal/disabled friends or family dying by repeatedly insisting that its their fault.

e- as someone whos been in that boat before, your insistence to keep trolling on that point really demonstrates what a vile little poo poo of a man you are.

• Locked thread