Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

JFairfax posted:

what if labour win?

-_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

mediadave posted:

If Corbyn doesn't resign immediately after the General Election I think the party will split.

It won't, because the right have nowhere to go and remember the fate of the SDP. If he does resign the party will 'split' in the way it did under Blair, i.e. by members leaving.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
labour is in quite the jam

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
remember when they were contemplating trying to leave the party and keep the name labour lol

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Shoppers said they were left in shock after realising they had walked past the body of a man – without realising he had died.

The man in his 50s was found dead on Merchant Street in Broadmead outside Optical Express at around 10.15am on a busy day in Bristol city centre.

A blanket was used to cover up the man, who is understood to be homeless, before emergency services got there.

It is understood the man, whose belongings were left scattered around the scene, had previously slept in the doorway.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/shoppers-shocked-homeless-man-died-45823

lol the tories are having people die in the streets and idiot brits are like 'oooh I dont know if I like the nice jam man'

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

remember when they were contemplating trying to leave the party and keep the name labour lol

it's this sort of visionary leadership that britain is crying out for.

fuckign idiots

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I don't really get what this means. What does it mean by their "2nd preference has gone to...X" ?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ewan posted:

I don't really get what this means. What does it mean by their "2nd preference has gone to...X" ?

lol u loving idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhAr_UeroCk

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

a lot of meltdowns today, the real deal general election is going to be interesting

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/TomChivers/status/860508164072058881

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/860492401152061440

it's fine, they said
it won't be a rerun of 1983, they said

*labour performs worse than 1983*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

a lot of meltdowns today, the real deal general election is going to be interesting

I am expecting a few of the posters having the police after them, given the hostility a few of them have shown to just this. God knows how they will act when Labour end up with under 150 MP's.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ewan posted:

Lib Dem and Green 1st preference has been eliminated, so their second preference vote get allocated to remaining people in the race, in this case the Tory because gently caress the Lib Dems and Greens

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

I've never voted in a mayoral election so have no idea how they work

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

the PLP were briefing against him from the moment the leadership election results were announced

imagine if we had two years of supportive Parliamentary LAbour Party going into these elections
It's incredibly hard to see how that could have improved Corbyn's actual personal performance, which was always going to be important seeing as he was meant to be, you know, PM material. He has proved beyond any doubt that he was never, and could never be, capable of doing the job right. Old dog, new tricks, etc.

He's also been surrounded by a tightly closed-in clique of people who are apparently as politically useless as he is (except for McDonnell). There was a fair chunk of the PLP who were willing to give it a shot at first. There have been tons of explanations as to why they subsequently gave up, mainly to do with the leadership's total lack of competence, coordination and communication with them.

You can't have the leadership and then blame the massive public destruction of your party on a few Blairites. We needed the leadership to bring the rest of the PLP on board, making the necessary and sane compromises on things like Trident to do so, and most of all we needed them to have some kind of media strategy that actually does what people voted for him to do - combat the economic bollocks that has been spewing out of the Tory party (and the labour right) for 6 years.
They have totally failed. It sucks, but they have. And it wasn't inevitable.

JFairfax posted:

I entirely blame the PLP for being scumbags and undermining Corbyn consistently through his leadership, he never had a fair crack at it and he is too good for the idiotic British people.
You are deluded I'm afraid. Most of the PLP weren't briefing against him, most of them were willing to give him a chance and a small blairite wing were trying to publicly undermine him. He loving failed. I don't see how this is so hard for people to get into their heads, given that surely none of us ever expected him to be a brilliant leader in the first place - he was entirely lacking in any kind of relevant experience?

Spuckuk posted:

It needs asking again, who would you replace him with?

The problems Labour are having run far longer and deeper than Corbyn.
Going to be interesting to see who stands. Seems like Corbyn won't go until they get a new measure through PLP to lower the nominations bar though? Do we know how long that might take?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Lib Dem and Green 1st preference has been eliminated, so their second preference vote get allocated to remaining people in the race, in this case the Tory because gently caress the Lib Dems and Greens
So as in most people that voted Libs or Green 1st preference chose the Tory as their 2nd choice?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

El Grillo posted:

It's incredibly hard to see how that could have improved Corbyn's actual personal performance, which was always going to be important seeing as he was meant to be, you know, PM material. He has proved beyond any doubt that he was never, and could never be, capable of doing the job right. Old dog, new tricks, etc.

He's also been surrounded by a tightly closed-in clique of people who are apparently as politically useless as he is (except for McDonnell). There was a fair chunk of the PLP who were willing to give it a shot at first. There have been tons of explanations as to why they subsequently gave up, mainly to do with the leadership's total lack of competence, coordination and communication with them.

You can't have the leadership and then blame the massive public destruction of your party on a few Blairites. We needed the leadership to bring the rest of the PLP on board, making the necessary and sane compromises on things like Trident to do so, and most of all we needed them to have some kind of media strategy that actually does what people voted for him to do - combat the economic bollocks that has been spewing out of the Tory party (and the labour right) for 6 years.
They have totally failed. It sucks, but they have. And it wasn't inevitable.

You are deluded I'm afraid. Most of the PLP weren't briefing against him, most of them were willing to give him a chance and a small blairite wing were trying to publicly undermine him. He loving failed. I don't see how this is so hard for people to get into their heads, given that surely none of us ever expected him to be a brilliant leader in the first place - he was entirely lacking in any kind of relevant experience?

Going to be interesting to see who stands. Seems like Corbyn won't go until they get a new measure through PLP to lower the nominations bar though? Do we know how long that might take?

lol yeah let's have a leadership contest a year in you loving scumbags

gently caress off, you tory piece of poo poo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ewan posted:

So as in most people that voted Libs or Green 1st preference chose the Tory as their 2nd choice?

yup, because british people are loving scumbags and deserve to be cut adrift into the atlantic to survive off the bodies of paupers and badly fried potatoes

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ewan posted:

When you cast a ballot for the mayoralty, you were asked to nominate first and second preference candidates. If any candidate gets >50% of the first preference votes, they win. Otherwise, the two candidates with the highest first preference votes are given the votes of every voter who selected them as second preference, and whichever of the two has the highest adjusted vote total wins.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

JFairfax posted:

yup, because british people are loving scumbags and deserve to be cut adrift into the atlantic to survive off the bodies of paupers and badly fried potatoes

you should chill out dude

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

JFairfax posted:

Shoppers said they were left in shock after realising they had walked past the body of a man – without realising he had died.

The man in his 50s was found dead on Merchant Street in Broadmead outside Optical Express at around 10.15am on a busy day in Bristol city centre.

A blanket was used to cover up the man, who is understood to be homeless, before emergency services got there.

It is understood the man, whose belongings were left scattered around the scene, had previously slept in the doorway.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/shoppers-shocked-homeless-man-died-45823

lol the tories are having people die in the streets and idiot brits are like 'oooh I dont know if I like the nice jam man'

My friend was the first attender to this, said it was pretty hosed up; people would stop and watch them whilst they did their thing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you look at the breakdowns for a lot of the wards which switched to Tory in Derbyshire, less than 100 votes in it, one ward has a 20 vote difference. That's 21 people sat at home thinking "no way anyone round here would vote Tory" and that my internet friends is how labour lost the northern territories.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The left is dead

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Looke posted:

The left is dead

Maybe it's just time to admit that the majority of the UK doesn't feel particularly left, and that waffly centrism with immigration mugs is the best you can hope for?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/robmayor/status/860514517935149056

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
We always knew it was going to be bad but what a loving pasting labour took.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
everything is cool and there is nothing to be disheartened about : http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-local-elections-jeremy-corbyn-momentum-a7719456.html

quote:

As a Momentum member, I'm not disheartened by Labour's losses in the local elections
The local elections results don't reflect the support Jeremy Corbyn has across the country as the anti-establishment candidate many voters are looking for

The local election results are coming in, and the pundits are predicting doom for Labour in next month’s general election. I could have written that line before we even knew the results – in fact I did – because it relies on two hard facts that were never going to change. Firstly, that these local elections are not nationwide and exclude pretty much everywhere that Labour’s vote share has been improving (for instance, there were no elections in London). Secondly, that large sections of the media are committed to building a narrative against Jeremy Corbyn.

But the pundits should be careful because the ground is shifting from under that narrative. Labour, which under Corbyn’s leadership has grown to be the biggest left of centre party in Europe, has woken up. Unprecedented numbers are heading to the doorstep all over the country. Most of the recent polls have the Tories’ lead cut in half from where it was a few weeks ago.

Labour’s army of campaigners were never drawn to the idea of giving up their evenings and weekends by good polling numbers, and they won’t be put off by the odd setback in county council elections. They have been inspired by a vision for a radically different kind of society – an alternative to the rigged political and economic system in which nurses are using foodbanks and four million children are living in poverty.

It’s the people versus the establishment, and for the first time in my lifetime we have, in Jeremy Corbyn, a potential prime minister who is really on our side.

so there you go! smile!

haakman
May 5, 2011
Norwich report: city council is Labour. 0 Tory seats.

Norfolk on the other hand has gone Tory. Suffolk much the same (one area had 80% turnout).

You should all move to Norwich.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So basically none of the councils in Scotland have overall control. Lol.

Least Labour have been kicked out of Glasgow. Thank gently caress.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Junior G-man posted:

Maybe it's just time to admit that the majority of the UK doesn't feel particularly left, and that waffly centrism with immigration mugs is the best you can hope for?

hunger is the best communist pamphlet

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LemonDrizzle posted:

everything is cool and there is nothing to be disheartened about : http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-local-elections-jeremy-corbyn-momentum-a7719456.html

so there you go! smile!

This is like standing in front of your own burning house going "it'll be great, the stuff in my basement that I haven't touched in years is fine!"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You are half-right about McDonnell; he has better political instincts than Corbyn (and lets face it, is the smart one of the two), but he probably more than any other single person is responsible for the sheer hatred between the PLP and the leadership team right now.

e: I mean the PLP will all concede that Corbyn is basically a nice guy (even if they think he is completely out of his depth). McDonnell they absolutely loathe.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 5, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:lol:

Turns out Tories won Derbyshire by repeatedly promising to remove the Matlock parking charges. They may be evil but at least they were competent enough to find out what all the people with very little in their lives (aka old people) were bitching most about.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

haakman posted:

Norfolk on the other hand has gone Tory. Suffolk much the same (one area had 80% turnout).

A friend of a friend just got elected to Norwich city council. It's been one of the few rays of sunshine for me today.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

haakman posted:

make Clive Lewis the commissar of the independent soviet of Norwich.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In Greater Manchester, UKIP's candidate, the ultra-Orthodox rabbi Shneur Odze, got absolutely spanked. Finished below the English Democrats.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JFairfax posted:

Lmao

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TinTower posted:

In Greater Manchester, UKIP's candidate, the ultra-Orthodox rabbi Shneur Odze, got absolutely spanked. Finished below the English Democrats.

Good, very religious people shouldn't be in government unless they can keep their beliefs away from it, and I haven't seen anybody who can.

e: and he's a kipper? loving what. I mean, it makes perfect sense for a Rabbi to be a kipper but holy poo poo what a combo.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Has Corbyn appeared at all other than that 3 tweets he has sent out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
(the joke was that he likes bdsm, but he still won't shake a woman's hand)

• Locked thread