Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

also lol don't forget this tidbit:

Cant wait for the bigamy charges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

My[28/F] parents [50s/M+F] are saying they won't show up at my wedding, and ask my grandparents does not show up either, unless I invite my mentally ill sister[32/F] too.Non-Romantic

Slip her a sedative the night before. She is too fat to be manipulated manually. They will be forced to leave her behind.

Alternatively, pay a troubled local youth to kneecap her. This is far less expensive than you might expect and is affordable even for a budget wedding.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pick posted:

Slip her a sedative the night before. She is too fat to be manipulated manually. They will be forced to leave her behind.

Alternatively, pay a troubled local youth to kneecap her. This is far less expensive than you might expect and is affordable even for a budget wedding.
Now you're thinking like a man's man.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually, you should have her kneecapped a bit in advance so it's not suspicious, but then keep her sedated for a while. Since she will be on painkillers it will not seem "out of place" for her to be sleeping and unable to attend. Even if they do manage to roll her in, and she is feisty, she will not be able to reach the food on other guest's plates from her wheelchair. Also you don't worry about whether her lawn chair represents "special treatment" because she will be bringing her own wheeled chair.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

dudeness posted:

Me [34 F] with my [38 M] Husband, His anger terrifies me

quote:

We happen to have this 4 foot long sword, it's like a prop sword, well he goes into the room to get it, I literally have no idea what he's thinking. At this point our kids both wake up and I'm holding just under the hilt of the sword trying to get it away from him. Our 8 year old child is screaming at this point, and I got the sword away from him and grabbed the phone to call 911. Somehow I hit redial or something and the call didn't go through. After that it's like a blur, I just kept asking him wtf he was thinking, what's the actual problem.

At some time in there he was muttering, "I've always wanted to go out this way." And he was talking about killing a guy that sells drugs on our street. It was so disturbing
Needless to say, I'm terrified. I don't remember him ever saying he'd kill me before. This isn't normal and I don't know what to do. I really can't leave him. I'm scared to bring it up to my parents because I don't know what long term solution that will provide. I'm just, idk. I fell asleep last night pretty sure I wouldn't wake up.

But then this morning he's like, everything is fine.

This one slipped under the radar, but I would like to welcome this poor woman to the wonderful world of domestic violence and your spouse threatening to murder you and your children over the slightest provocation.

Like not properly appreciating the youtube video he showed you.

Yep, pulling a huge loving sword out is definitely the sort of behaviour you should be asking the internet about and not just running for the loving hills with your children held under your arms.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My BIL [26/M] is a self-confessed "nice guy" who can't meet ladies. He wants me [32/M] to give him advice. How brutal is too brutal?

quote:

My wife [33/F] and I have been married for 4 years and together another 2 before that. Her brother, Drew, is a 26 year old guy who has lived his whole life as a bit of a victim. He has a very minor birth defect that causes some weakness in his non-dominant arm, consequently, he feels that it's the reason women won't date him. The reality is that he's a self-confessed "nice guy" who lacks even the most basic ability to deal with women and is so painfully awkward, annoying and eventually rude, that he turns them off and has given himself a reputation for being a bit of a dick.

A few years ago, I helped him get a job at the company I work for. He works in IT and does an okay job. He doesn't want to engage, push himself or go further; but, he does his job. He has built a reputation as a bit of a loner, often trying to befriend women and eschewing relationships with men (again, the arm thing). Anytime a woman shows him the least bit of professional consideration, he assumes they are friends and becomes their personal doormat. Short of falling on his back and asking them to stamp on his cubes, he goes way too far in the wrong direction. He wants to be their personal confidant, act as emotional support and a personal assistant. If he becomes everything to them, they'll have no real choice but to transition to a sexual relationship with him. The problem is, many of the women are in relationships/married and aren't interested. Others simply have no interest in forming a sexual relationship with him.

After a while, he begins sending texts and emails, some of which I've been privy to read. They are, to say the least, loving awkward. He gives stage directions ("I enter the room, eyes darting around, careful not to look directly at you... hey") and go on and on about how much he feels a connection with them - he's even told married women who've had a hard day he'll email their their spouses to tell them to treat her right that day. He's been warned about his behaviour before, and it reflects pooly on me since he begged me to help him get the job and I introduced him to the HR manager.

The problem is, after a few months, he grows tired of being their "support" (a role they neither asked him to take-on, nor want him to do) and seeks to transition to a sexual relationship. When he's rebuffed, he gets upset, often says terrible things to them, and then moves on. The issue is, he's developed a reputation among staff, often befriends new hires who don't know about his trackrecord and then we go through the same thing over and over. My BIL does not see that he's doing this, thinks himself completely innocent and blames his birth defect as being the true etiology of his problems.

I've told my wife about the on-going saga and she isn't sure how to approach this. Her brother is convinced it's his arm. Staff have asked me to talk to him. Recently, BIL has turned to me to ask me what he should do differently. He's only doing this because he has been "friends" with a new staff member - she is an 19 year old temp who hasn't planned her life and is so young and naive that she's not ready for a relationship, let alone being with someone like BIL. She had trouble at home (very minor from what I can discern) but he wormed his way in, acted as emotional support and got himself into the friendzone. She started dating a guy her own age, and he blew-up. He sent her a snarky email about her boyfriend being a meathead who didn't understand who true inner self and he would just hurt her, etc.

I'm going to speak with him, but I've never had to try and talk to a self-confessed "nice guy" and I am really not sure what to say or even how to go about it. I'm not a psychologist and I'm not all that keen on helping him get his life in order. I really don't know what to say and would appreciate everyone's advice.

:whitewater:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yep, pulling a loving sword out is definitely the sort of behaviour you should be asking the internet about and not just running for the loving hills with your children held under your arms.

Friend of mine got divorced because his wife held a loaded Shotgun to his head.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 5, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pick posted:

There are so many problems the second option solves, it is not even funny.

This reminds me of a family story where my grandfather one day made lunch and put sedatives in everyone's food (his wife and three kids). He said it was the happiest day of his life.

He later killed himself.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Friend of mine got divorced because his wife held a loaded Shotgun to his head.

Did he have to think about it first? Because far too many people get to the point where their spouse is literally about to kill them and wonder, "Gee, is this relationship unhealthy? I'm not sure, I should give it 12 more years."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My BIL [26/M] is a self-confessed "nice guy" who can't meet ladies. He wants me [32/M] to give him advice. How brutal is too brutal?

:whitewater:

This actually happens surprisingly often with people who do have some sort of "defect"--they assign everything that happens to that "defect" instead of themselves. If anything, it can be the biggest problem that it poses. Essentially, it's an easy scapegoat that allows them to avoid introspection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t6JfL47EW0

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pick posted:

Actually, you should have her kneecapped a bit in advance so it's not suspicious, but then keep her sedated for a while. Since she will be on painkillers it will not seem "out of place" for her to be sleeping and unable to attend. Even if they do manage to roll her in, and she is feisty, she will not be able to reach the food on other guest's plates from her wheelchair. Also you don't worry about whether her lawn chair represents "special treatment" because she will be bringing her own wheeled chair.
Yeah, Nancy Kerrigan still made it to the Olympics so a backup plan of keeping her wheelchair bound is good.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

This actually happens surprisingly often with people who do have some sort of "defect"--they assign everything that happens to that "defect" instead of themselves. If anything, it can be the biggest problem that it poses. Essentially, it's an easy scapegoat that allows them to avoid introspection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t6JfL47EW0

that dude has sexually harassed literally every woman in his workplace and people still don't even want to talk to him about it because ~awk-waaard~

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Cakefarts Carol posted:

so many people posted here are on the cusp of the revelation that they're a lovely person and need to change but then their brains double down that it's not their behavior that's the problem, it's everyone else's

I'm half interested in the responses to the OP

C'est la vie. Unfortunately the brain defends itself from "harm" by fighting tooth-and-nail against information counter to what it already considers a core belief, in this case, "I'm a good person."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

that dude has sexually harassed literally every woman in his workplace and people still don't even want to talk to him about it because ~awk-waaard~

There's always a guy like that and he will never, ever believe that this behavior is a problem. Part of not wanting to have that talk is knowing it is totally pointless.

What they probably should do is just warn every new employee ahead of time. Like, just say, "Don't talk to Plorg any longer than necessary. He's a loser desperate to get laid and will make a nuisance of himself." That is plenty. I guess it introduces liability, so you can have someone send her a letter like that anonymously to make it hard to prove it was company policy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gorilla Salad posted:

Did he have to think about it first? Because far too many people get to the point where their spouse is literally about to kill them and wonder, "Gee, is this relationship unhealthy? I'm not sure, I should give it 12 more years."

I think he bailed immediately. The gun was even locked up securely in a cabinet, she took the keys and removed it.
This is :britain: too. It never got reported. He /really/ should have reported it, but she broke his brain totally.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 5, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

There's always a guy like that and he will never, ever believe that this behavior is a problem. Part of not wanting to have that talk is knowing it is totally pointless.

What they probably should do is just warn every new employee ahead of time. Like, just say, "Don't talk to Plorg any longer than necessary. He's a loser desperate to get laid and will make a nuisance of himself." That is plenty. I guess it introduces liability, so you can have someone send her a letter like that anonymously to make it hard to prove it was company policy.

I feel like for a lot of these dudes it's a cyclical thing where to begin with they're merely deeply socially retarded, and because they experience no negative feedback whatsoever for being a loving creep and it very occasionally gets rewarded they get trained that's just how things are done, so by the time they're like loving 50 or something and someone tells them "smiling at you is not signing a contract to gently caress" yeah they're just not having any of it cause they've been at it for 35 years and nobody ever said poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 5, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gorilla Salad posted:

"I think we can work through this"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like for a lot of these dudes it's a cyclical thing where to begin with they're merely deeply socially retarded, and because they experience no negative feedback whatsoever for being a loving creep and it very occasionally gets them positive attention they get trained that's just how things are done, so by the time they're like loving 50 or something and someone tells them "smiling at you is not signing a contract to gently caress" that's just totally outlandish to them because, well, I've been doing it for 35 years somebody woulda said something, it's my bad biceps isn't it admit it

Yes, although the fact they then dont fix the bicep thing is another real problem.

Like Ive known two dudes who fell into this trap and one threw an endless pity party so everyone avoided him and the other decided he was going to get beefy and wear fashion clothes and well he still was a complete weirdo but women were interested in him enough to start a conversation which in time due to repeated talks corrected some of his more egregious habits.

Still a weird fuckin dude, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Any woman who enters a relationship with any man is accepting flaws more egregious than any potential bicep situation.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I don't understand why all women aren't lesbians. Maybe try that?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Charles Get-Out posted:

I honestly can't figure out if my [23F] relationship with my husband [25M] of 4 years is financially abusive?

Yup.

Here's an example of how lovely people ruin things for everyone: in the pregnancy subreddit, there was a really heartbreaking post about a woman whose husband was abusive, how she was trapped with him, her family wouldn't help her. She had no way out basically. Of course, all these other pregnant women who are already hormonal start offering help, a few even offering to drive and pick her up if she was close enough. Then it turns out this person had been making similar posts for over a year to grift people out of money. Soon as they got called out the profile and post were deleted.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My most serious relationships were all with women, but it's like impossible to date women in Portland but not for the reasons you think.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

My most serious relationships were all with women, but it's like impossible to date women in Portland but not for the reasons you think.

Just move to miami so you can be the quirky SO to some south american bankers niece. Or date the banker, the language barrier only works in your favor.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

ikr

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Women are also bad.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pick posted:

I know nothing about dating women in Portland at all, though and no preconceptions. But Google is telling me it's LGBT friendly so I'm guessing it's not due to a lack of understanding or them being there. But Google lies.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 5, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

Women are also bad.

Choose Your Neurosis

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Gorilla Salad posted:

This one slipped under the radar, but I would like to welcome this poor woman to the wonderful world of domestic violence and your spouse threatening to murder you and your children over the slightest provocation.

Like not properly appreciating the youtube video he showed you.

Yep, pulling a huge loving sword out is definitely the sort of behaviour you should be asking the internet about and not just running for the loving hills with your children held under your arms.
Maybe he just sucks but that one reminds me of those few "Update: turns out they had a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit!" stories.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I know nothing about dating women in Portland at all, though and no preconceptions. But Google is telling me it's LGBT friendly so I'm guessing it's not due to a lack of understanding or them being there. But Google lies.

portland is the most stupidly all-in city wrt: sex-pos dorkery so if you try to date a woman they may turn out to already have 6 boyfriends and talk a lot about spiritual energy and crying

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
smdh if you're in any kind of a relationship with a human, i just perch on a crystal skull and shout words of power at my genitals until climax

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pick posted:

portland is the most stupidly all-in city wrt: sex-pos dorkery so if you try to date a woman they may turn out to already have 6 boyfriends and talk a lot about spiritual energy and crying

Champagne lesbians.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

This happened to a friend of mine. She was thin and athletic and loved going to clubs but some sort of switch flipped in her brain and she started slamming bottle after bottle of coke and put on roughly 120 pounds over the course of the last 5 years. A lot of us tried to get her to knock off or go to therapy or get some diet help, but nothing worked. The only "concession" that she made was to switch to Mexican coke which she claimed had "natural" sugar and wasn't as bad for you.

I had an ex like that too. She drank a ton of pop, none of it diet, gained a ton of weight. Also she kept buying individual bottles at full retail price, not even six packs or 2L bottles, which was weird seeing as how she was always broke.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

I had an ex like that too. She drank a ton of pop, none of it diet, gained a ton of weight. Also she kept buying individual bottles at full retail price, not even six packs or 2L bottles, which was weird seeing as how she was always broke.

She had an addiction, literally.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
soda is what people drink when they want to ruin their lives with an unhealthy addiction but they're scared of becoming an alcoholic

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [33 M] of four years. He admits to finding a picture of me in my school uniform hot/sexy. Is this okay?

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend for nearly four years, all is great, we're really happy, etc etc.
Recently after a few drinks, we were talking about cat-calling and I recounted memories of being shouted at and leered at by adult men when I was in my school uniform (i.e. secondary school, between the ages of about 13-16). This is where he admitted that he'd noticed a picture of me in my home from my final year of secondary school, wearing my school uniform, where I would have been either 15 or 16, and that he found me really attractive in it.
When he told me that, I sort of brushed it off because we were both quite tipsy in a bar and I didn't want to get into any kind of heavy/intense conversation in that situation.
It's made me quite uncomfortable. Is this normal? I can understand him thinking that I was a pretty young woman (as immodest as that sounds, I hope you know what I mean!) or that I looked cute or something, but he meant it in the way that he found me hot and the picture turned him on. Is this just a harmless, silly thing I shouldn't think too much of? Or should I be worried?
I will add that in the photo, I look pretty much the same as I do now, just with a different haircut and perhaps slightly younger features. I probably look about 16-17 in the photo. I will also add that I'm in the UK where the age of consent is 16, so the idea of an older person sleeping with a 16 year old is perhaps slightly less abhorrent than it would be in the US (and it is legal).
Any advice would be great.
tl;dr: boyfriend thinks 16 year old me in my school photo is hot. Is that okay?

Is it okay that my boyfriend that thinks I'm hot also thinks I'm hot in a picture I describe myself as looking the same in?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Here's a story about how hard it is to write with only gender-neutral pronouns

Partner will not let me play violent video games (Games involving death, depictions of animal violence, etc)

quote:

Hello! I've come to Reddit with an issue that has been affecting my relationship of almost 1 year, and I am hoping for a solution before things take a bad turn.

My partner and I both suffer from depression, anxiety, schizophrenic symptoms, PTSD, and other little things. We are in our early 20s. After the first few months of our relationship, we have started to develop "incompatibilities". During my partner's childhood, they have had a mostly negative outlook of life and everything around them, and they still do to some extent. The problem comes with the way they compensate for it. They try to force good morals into every aspect of their life (including games) even when it is excessive. They then become very upset when I am not living up to these expectations.

While living at my previous house with my father, living conditions were less than abysmal. My father had moved out of my hometown with little regard for my feelings, my love for my cats, my contact with friends, and my well-being. I was shoved into a small room with his new girlfriend's son (which I believe he cares for more than his own descendant) every day he would come into his room, listen to terrible modern hip-hop and "dub-step", and play Call Of Duty religiously. One day I had enough and moved all my belongings out of the room and put them into a somewhat blocked off section of the hallway. My father's new girlfriend is allergic to cats and her dog barks at and eats everything. It also smells horrible and suffers from PTSD which causes it to eat until it vomits, then eat again. No month went by where I was tempted to buy 10 bags of dog food, bring it back, open them all up and let it unfold. I despise that dog. It embodied everything wrong with what was happening.

I miss my cats every day.

Parking was non-existent which almost completely eliminated all possibility of having friends over, all establishments in the area were pretentious and overly expensive and thus were not looking for employees, I could not drive because... Babysitting a car there is extremely expensive. I felt completely trapped, and my growing gender dysphoria was not helping in the slightest. I had lost art and animation as dream careers, and later as hobbies. I can't pick up a pencil without feeling sick. I turned to PC games to escape. It worked most of the time.

My partner does not think of games as an art form, or even a valid form of entertainment. To them, games are purely a societal commentary. I have a few years of experience in game design, and my interest in the industry has been formally discredited by them.

Avoiding animal violence in games was easy, as I am sensitive to such things myself, and I avoid this whenever possible, either by modding such things out of the game, or using stealth to my advantage and avoiding the conflict with animals altogether. My partner then limited my game time to 3 hours, which was slightly troubling, since I had nothing else to turn to for distraction. I had no friends in the area. My partner then claimed that games were making my depression and anxiety worse, and completely removed my ability to play any game featuring any kind of violence. Cold turkey.

The Elder Scrolls is my favourite game franchise. Since I could no longer play that, I desperately made a list of all the games I could play. This list consists of 45~ games, most of which have little replay value and are platformers or very story-driven. I had to quit halfway through Half-Life when army grunts made their first appearance. When I was seen playing a game they didn't like, my partner would become disdainful and bitter, often leave, and I would sit confused, unsure of what I did wrong.

During this time, I had conducted personal tests on myself. I would play a game I liked, such as Fallout, for a while, until I became disinterested and wanted to do other things. This usually happened within 1.5 hours, and I actually came out refreshed. Moderation was apparently key, but apparently not to my partner.

According to my partner, I had attacked them while playing games, though I have little recollection of this for unknown reasons. It was most likely a random out-of-body episode that happens every few months. I have difficulty remembering these, and many chunks of time after my depression and anxiety became worse.

We are now living together finally, I now have a full-time job as night shift at a petrol station, which I have been enjoying. I work 5 days of the week, and my time off feels scarce since I mostly feel tired, probably due to my need to adjust to my new schedule. Every day I come home from work, the first thing I want to do is play The Elder Scrolls or Fallout and then fall asleep. Since I cannot play these, I usually end up falling asleep earlier than I should, oversleeping, and waking up the next day feeling unrested and unsatisfied with how I spent what little free time I had.

TL;DR my partner and I suffer from mental illness, they don't respect games as a form of entertainment, I very much like games, and I'm not sure if I should give them up for my partner.

My question is, are they right to do this, should I find a new hobby, should we see a couple therapist?

Thank you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

soda is what people drink when they want to ruin their lives with an unhealthy addiction but they're scared of becoming an alcoholic

Most people are really susceptible to addiction so at some point I think people often have to pick their poison.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [33 M] of four years. He admits to finding a picture of me in my school uniform hot/sexy. Is this okay?

Is it okay that my boyfriend that thinks I'm hot also thinks I'm hot in a picture I describe myself as looking the same in?

Whoever said these people go looking for problems was spot on.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

It was even weirder for her because she was married to a doctor and had access to top-notch medical care through his insurance. Her husband even tried hiring a chef to make them healthy dinners and find some lower-calorie smoothie alternative to coke, but nothing worked. They got divorced earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

portland has some great food and art and is in one of the most gorgeous parts of America but I took one look at its culture based entirely on making everything an affectation and noped right out