Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well considering those amounts are more than I am currently earning and I'll get paid to attend school in the interim I'll take it!

And I will never take advise, legal or otherwise, from goons.

That's fine if you don't want to take advice from internet strangers, but do try to find some various 1st year to 5th year lawyers and talk to them.

There are a ton of different fields where you can make so much more money and don't have to deal with all the extra bullshit that comes with being a lawyer. There is negative value to most people's law education. In february only 58% of the people passed the FL bar. For those that are attempting to retake it, it's going to cost another $1000 to take the exam and even then they're going to struggle to find employment because of a failure on their record. For those that do not retake, like a friend of mine, they're stuck trying to find a secondary non-legal career. Having a JD can actually be a negative thing for non-JD required work. And although you won't end up with the massive burdensome debt like she has, most of these people have 200k+ in loans that they'll never pay back.

If everyone is telling you that it isn't a smart idea to go, maybe there's a reason. You can make more with an MBA than you likely will ever with a law degree and a number of business schools, like at FSU, will take LSAT scores in lieu of GRE. $40k/year for a lawyer is basically poverty wages with the loans and such most of us have to pay back. There is a whole lot of negative with going to school, and unless you have a guaranteed specific job lined up or you're attending a T14 school, it is an extremely risky proposition with very low payout.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or rain on your parade. I'm just being real with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The world needs public defenders

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm hopeful for a 40k job in Tucson, simply because I'll take almost anything I can get at this point. I need to get some oomph out of my visa. Just earning a degree abroad in an AACSB school by itself doesn't wow anyone anymore, I really need to cram some work experience in the hallowed country of BUSINESS CLIMATE INNOVATION into my resume.

And I gather that Tucson, much like everything else not in the north of Arizona, is like half an inch away from Satan's taint in terms of climate. :smith:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm hopeful for a 40k job in Tucson, simply because I'll take almost anything I can get at this point. I need to get some oomph out of my visa. Just earning a degree abroad in an AACSB school by itself doesn't wow anyone anymore, I really need to cram some work experience in the hallowed country of BUSINESS CLIMATE INNOVATION into my resume.

And I gather that Tucson, much like everything else not in the north of Arizona, is like half an inch away from Satan's taint in terms of climate. :smith:

Yeah, nowhere near as bad as Yuma and Phoenix, but still hot. Try to live either in the foothills or near Mt Lemon if at all possible. Vail and Marana ain't half bad either, but do add sometime to a commute

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, nowhere near as bad as Yuma and Phoenix, but still hot. Try to live either in the foothills or near Mt Lemon if at all possible. Vail and Marana ain't half bad either, but do add sometime to a commute

The heat I'll be able to deal with by manning up and not being a bitch, but I don't have a car, so I'm pretty limited in my choices. Even though you get the international person bonus, not having a car is lovely baggage to bring into an interview in the US to begin with.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The heat I'll be able to deal with by manning up and not being a bitch, but I don't have a car, so I'm pretty limited in my choices. Even though you get the international person bonus, not having a car is lovely baggage to bring into an interview in the US to begin with.

Do you have a budget for one and can you get a driver's license, because I have enough contacts in that area with car dealers to find you something cheap if you're looking

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Meh, it's hit or miss. You need to determine what's good for you or not.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So this is the root of the attitude that leads people to enlist after a bunch of us here repeatedly tell them "don't loving do it" :(

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

So this is the root of the attitude that leads people to enlist after a bunch of us here repeatedly tell them "don't loving do it" :(

The difference is if your life sucks badly enough, enlisting isn't a terrible option. Law school (outside of top tier) is mostly a scam at this point.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TheQuietWilds posted:

The difference is if your life sucks badly enough, enlisting isn't a terrible option. Law school (outside of top tier) is mostly a scam at this point.

Eh, it's a tier 1 law school, I know quite a few lawyers already, and its a profession that I want to enter. That Voc Rehab is willing to pick up the bill (31K a year) means I should be in pretty good shape once I get out.The majority of the advice I received was that I shouldn't go into deep debt in pursuit of a law degree, which I won't be.

Most of my friends that graduated from law school in the last 5 years all secured pretty decent jobs, granted that was in Louisiana. None of them are starved for work. Things can vary from state to state pretty dramatically with regards to opportunity in the legal field, and I'm currently taking a look at some different federal employment options on the back end. My brother is also a lawyer in NYC and he certainly seems to be enjoying it.

Seems to me that a law degree is what you make of it, much more so than most other professional degrees.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The fact that you got your voc rehab counselor to agree to it is a minor miracle in itself. gently caress it, go forth and do law school.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Vocrehab is covering law school?

gently caress man, go for it and go for it hard. Fail the bar? gently caress it, not like you have loans to repay

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Seems to me that a law degree is what you make of it, much more so than most other professional degrees.

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah voc rehab is paying for mine. I just know people struggling to find work and there are quite a few others in lovely jobs.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

Vocrehab is covering law school?

gently caress man, go for it and go for it hard. Fail the bar? gently caress it, not like you have loans to repay

Yeah, the stated goal for voc rehab isn't to be a lawyer, it is to get a law degree preferred or required position, so that includes being a mediator and a bunch of other stupid poo poo.

They won't pay for me to take the bar, but 50K a year for 3 years is a nice parting gift from the Federal government for my service.

Edit: Mr.Nice is just trying to scare off potential competition.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 5, 2017

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
And you get to call yourself "Esquire" at least

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah, the stated goal for voc rehab isn't to be a lawyer, it is to get a law degree preferred or required position, so that includes being a mediator and a bunch of other stupid poo poo.

They won't pay for me to take the bar, but 50K a year for 3 years is a nice parting gift from the Federal government for my service.

Edit: Mr.Nice is just trying to scare off potential competition.

They'll absolutely pay for you to take the bar. They're paying my bar fees and my MPRE fees.

And I don't give a gently caress about competition. You're not selling tacos.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Christ that's dark

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

They'll absolutely pay for you to take the bar. They're paying my bar fees and my MPRE fees.

And I don't give a gently caress about competition. You're not selling tacos.

He could be. The two of you could go into business together. You could call yourselves "Abogados Tacos" and have some sweet alliteration.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Meth deals out the back, defensive litigation out the front.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
You could be like Daredevil.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Every lawyer I know is a joyless sack of garbage who's too loving stupid to do the math on their own salary. Yes, great, you make 90k a year, you also work 80 hours a week. I'm sure it will be awesome for you when you finally get to 140k working twice the hours a regular person would and spent your years badgering paralegals FOR THAT FILE while your wife banged some guy working 20 hours a week and you're too busy reading boring legal bullshit all night to realize that kid you never see isn't even yours.

I mean holy poo poo I thought I was exaggerating about 90k but the average is actually 81k and it tops out around 150k

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

milk milk lemonade posted:

Every lawyer I know is a joyless sack of garbage who's too loving stupid to do the math on their own salary. Yes, great, you make 90k a year, you also work 80 hours a week. I'm sure it will be awesome for you when you finally get to 140k working twice the hours a regular person would and spent your years badgering paralegals FOR THAT FILE while your wife banged some guy working 20 hours a week and you're too busy reading boring legal bullshit all night to realize that kid you never see isn't even yours.

I mean holy poo poo I thought I was exaggerating about 90k but the average is actually 81k and it tops out around 150k

that's why you become corporate counsel for Exxon or something with stock options and bonuses, that's my career plan after I graduate with a 3.6 GPA and an English Lit BA from a regional college

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

milk milk lemonade posted:

Jesus I can't wait. I'm gonna become a public defender and be like the Lincoln lawyer!!!!!!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

If it is part of your degree plan, VocRehab will pay. Including school choice if you can make a case for it. That's why I am going to upper class yoga butt central.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I mean if you aren't paying for the loan that's great, at least you won't be hamstrung when you wind up in the FCDU or AML teams for Chase or [insert bank] for 55k a year

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Stop making GBS threads on the guy. At least he didn't reenlist.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

Stop making GBS threads on the guy. At least he didn't reenlist.

New thread title.

In other news, 3/4 of my finals are done. Just need to do a presentation on budget (insurgency) UAV mapping and I'm free and clear to smoke and camp for a week :dance:

The feeling of looming finals is terrible, but the feeling of finals past is the best

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I ain't making GBS threads on anyone. Except enlisted.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

How does the stated goal stuff work with voc rehab? I want to use it to get an MS in Computer Science but I'll also be working full-time as a software engineer at the same time. Will they have any hangups about that?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

No but it depends on your counselor.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MancXVI posted:

How does the stated goal stuff work with voc rehab? I want to use it to get an MS in Computer Science but I'll also be working full-time as a software engineer at the same time. Will they have any hangups about that?

Yeah they will. Voc rehab is about getting you employable. They won't Shell out if you're already working afaik

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah they will. Voc rehab is about getting you employable. They won't Shell out if you're already working afaik

I'd imagine it's pushing the limits of welfare at that point. I'll pay out of pocket if they don't cover it, just curious if that was even a thing.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MancXVI posted:

I'd imagine it's pushing the limits of welfare at that point. I'll pay out of pocket if they don't cover it, just curious if that was even a thing.

I dunno what, if any, means of recourse they have against you if you don't mention that you're gonna be working. It's def something to discuss all the possible variables for with your counselor so you can get a.compmetr idea of what you CAN do

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Are you going to college? Because you could probably still use the American Opportunity Tax Credit. I used it twice for new laptops both times.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Soulex posted:

Are you going to college? Because you could probably still use the American Opportunity Tax Credit. I used it twice for new laptops both times.

I just graduated with my bachelors. I'm starting work in July and looking to start grad school in the spring.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

MancXVI posted:

I just graduated with my bachelors. I'm starting work in July and looking to start grad school in the spring.

Should still apply. Check it out. I'd google it for you but I'm couch locked right now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Graduating in a few hours and realizing I left my tie 2.5 hours away... That was fun.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

School sent out an email that there will be "rigorous monitoring of the processional lines" by NAU PD screening for alcohol or "alcohol-related paraphernalia".

This loving country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what is alcohol related paraphernalia beyond a cup or flask?

do people still do the beer bong thing?