Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They're releasing a grimdark train set.

In the grim future of the fortieth millenium, there is only chugga chugga choo choos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Are they, or was that just the crane kit conversion?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Broken Record Talk posted:

It is my well researched, and unbiased opinion that GW, and everything it touches, are objectively BAD.

Well GW is headquartered in the UK and Brexit happened, so this seems to check out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

berzerkmonkey posted:

Are they, or was that just the crane kit conversion?

Let's not split hairs. CHOO CHOO.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone I used to play Fantasy with finally bought up all my leftover models and books.

I'm free, after 14 years.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think the only thing that could really and truly deal a serious blow to GW is an honest to god Star Wars minis game sold at Perry/WGF/DreamForge prices. Especially if they were DUST style pre-assembled kits or kits with very limited/easy assembly. If you did it in an intermediate scale where the game was built on a Bolt Action style scale of 25-65 models and priced them not insanely you could easily carve into GW. The problem is that miniatures wargames are such a small niche market that no company with the resources or licenses that could shake things up wants to because it's just not worth it. It's a tiny market, the returns are poor, and retailers don't like them because they eat up a ton of shelf space and don't move fast enough. I think your average boardgame player who might consider miniatures games as a hobby is going to be a crazy hard sell when just buying the rulebook and your codex for 40k could buy you a huge chunk of product for something like Summoner Wars, Tash-Kalar, or a number of other games about tactical army battling.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Honestly I still really wish FFG had done pre-paints for Runewars. I get that there's economic reasons why it probably wasn't feasible but I think only pre-painted models would allow a new game to really compete.

There's something nice about going in, buying the new wave of Armada stuff and not being like 'ok cool, in 5 months when I have the perfect convergence of time and desire I will get these ready to go onto the table.'

I know a lot of people who see the hobby requirements for Warmahordes or KoW and their eyes glaze over and they buy another booster box of MTG cards or more X-wing models instead.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fnordcircle posted:

Honestly I still really wish FFG had done pre-paints for Runewars. I get that there's economic reasons why it probably wasn't feasible but I think only pre-painted models would allow a new game to really compete.

There's something nice about going in, buying the new wave of Armada stuff and not being like 'ok cool, in 5 months when I have the perfect convergence of time and desire I will get these ready to go onto the table.'

I know a lot of people who see the hobby requirements for Warmahordes or KoW and their eyes glaze over and they buy another booster box of MTG cards or more X-wing models instead.

Aren't they at least pre-assembled? That goes a long ways.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I only by trains operated by space dorfs.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think the only thing that could really and truly deal a serious blow to GW is an honest to god Star Wars minis game sold at Perry/WGF/DreamForge prices. Especially if they were DUST style pre-assembled kits or kits with very limited/easy assembly. If you did it in an intermediate scale where the game was built on a Bolt Action style scale of 25-65 models and priced them not insanely you could easily carve into GW. The problem is that miniatures wargames are such a small niche market that no company with the resources or licenses that could shake things up wants to because it's just not worth it. It's a tiny market, the returns are poor, and retailers don't like them because they eat up a ton of shelf space and don't move fast enough. I think your average boardgame player who might consider miniatures games as a hobby is going to be a crazy hard sell when just buying the rulebook and your codex for 40k could buy you a huge chunk of product for something like Summoner Wars, Tash-Kalar, or a number of other games about tactical army battling.

gw is too big and too entrenched in the hobby to actually worry about competition. the only thing that could feasibly cause them to close shop would be a collapse of the hobby itself

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

LordAba posted:

Aren't they at least pre-assembled? That goes a long ways.

They do take some assembly, but they're close to being snap fit in that they all push together well enough to stay put without glue. It is definitely playable out of the box without any sort of tools or glue at the very least.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

fnordcircle posted:

A lot of this is culture, though. If Runewars does start to take off and people don't broadly expect the painting and behave like jerks about it, that'll be less of a barrier. It's not like most people paint their Imperial Assault figures or Risk mans or whatever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ultiville posted:

A lot of this is culture, though. If Runewars does start to take off and people don't broadly expect the painting and behave like jerks about it, that'll be less of a barrier. It's not like most people paint their Imperial Assault figures or Risk mans or whatever.

It will come down to organized play. If they insist on a three color minimum or table top standard, then it will have the same painting culture as every other game on the market. But if that's not enforced at official events it may not be so toxic.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This guy's converted Imperial Grot army is loving amazing and adorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86igT9cx44U

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone I used to play Fantasy with finally bought up all my leftover models and books.

I'm free, after 14 years.

Do they want mine?

Runewars has hit the ground running at my local game shop (Element Games in Stockport) with about 6/12 people playing which is good. I'm waiting for the proper release a bit later down the line but at least people are playing!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mantic open day today

Nameless :asoiaf:

Non-white people? On a minis table? The woman doesn't even have tit plate, they can't be legit minis

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Those are the first Mantic minis I've actually been impressed with.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Mantic learned to sculpt?!?0

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Bad Moon posted:

And paint!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It'd be funny to learn that they're using Angel Giraldez for their display pieces too. FFG did that with Runewars:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Are those minis for one of their existing games?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
My god! Those minis! They're... competent!!

They actually look pretty rad but I have more than enough Dark Age mans to work on already.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

WTF is Star Saga and how do I get an angry crab man?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Star Saga is Mantic space Descent.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Iceclaw posted:

Are those minis for one of their existing games?

Yes and no - they're being made for Star Saga, which is a new game due out later this year, but they'll also be usable in Deadzone as mercs/faction additions, and the tentacle crab guys will be getting their own faction with an alpha and beta list due pretty soon with a 'live' pdf release in Q4, which will extended into a full Warpath faction later on.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 6, 2017

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Atlas Hugged posted:

Star Saga is Mantic space Descent.

You might also call it their space Dungeon Saga, hence the name.

I really like that there are a lot of different looking aliens, like in their Dreadball game.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
40k getting good rules. Mantic making good models.

2017 is weird.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Not a viking posted:

You might also call it their space Dungeon Saga, hence the name.

I really like that there are a lot of different looking aliens, like in their Dreadball game.

I think there's a good three dozen different alien species with minis across the 5 games in the Warpath universe, from full factions down to one off mercs/mvps

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bad Moon posted:

It's amazing what wonders a decent paintjob will work.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Drone posted:

It's amazing what wonders a decent paintjob will work.

Reminder that a lot of infinity models are really flat and uninteresting. Angel adds all the texture and depth.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Chill la Chill posted:

Reminder that a lot of infinity models are really flat and uninteresting. Angel adds all the texture and depth.

Too bad he doesn't work for GW I guess?
:stat::wal:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

This one is really cute 9/10 would field

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TTerrible posted:

Those are the first Mantic minis I've actually been impressed with.

Yeah, :same:

That crab monster is legit good

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soulfucker posted:

This one is really cute 9/10 would field

I like to imagine him at an optometrist with a phoropter in front of him.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Iceclaw posted:

Too bad he doesn't work for GW I guess?
:stat::wal:

Ayy lmao. I love the infinity stuff but they are pretty flat, basic, and need a lot of painted effects. At least then you can add detail, which I prefer, o GW's modern overdesigned stuff. Removing that detail is a lot harder.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Chill la Chill posted:

Ayy lmao. I love the infinity stuff but they are pretty flat, basic, and need a lot of painted effects. At least then you can add detail, which I prefer, o GW's modern overdesigned stuff. Removing that detail is a lot harder.
I think Infinity's detail is just different. There's not a lot of poo poo hanging off the minis, but there are lots of subtle little details (like the pull-tabs on the zippers of troopers' fatigue pockets, for instance) that you can either paint or not. And almost all of the detail is stuff that's functional (e.g. leg straps to hold drop-leg holsters and dump-pouches in place), so it doesn't look out of place. But any troopers wearing a trench coat or having a tabard is an invitation to go nuts with painted detail, because yeah, that stuff has no (or very little) pre-defined pattern. When I painted my Kum Bikers, I made sure to give them lots of tattoos. Were I to paint some Corregidor Jaguars, I'd treat them the same way, just to break up big areas of exposed skin if nothing else.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kum Bikers :mrgw:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm looking at this plastic, cheap detailed warlord games samurai I just assembled and like infinity, it's more properly proportioned without giant hulk hands and only slightly larger heads. I'm going to have to paint a diamond pattern on this 1mm wide katana scabbard somehow. :getin:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Kum bikers? Please don't talk about my weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Yeah, it gets worse. There's a pair of lady bikers called Kum Enforcers.

• Locked thread