Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is not in response to anyone in particular, but I've been hit with a sudden nostalgia for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. You know what's a great, GREAT loving manga, that hardly ever gets talked about? Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Please read Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, it's probably better than anything you have read or are reading.

That is my recommendation, to basically everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

This is not in response to anyone in particular, but I've been hit with a sudden nostalgia for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. You know what's a great, GREAT loving manga, that hardly ever gets talked about? Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Please read Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, it's probably better than anything you have read or are reading.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Excuse me, sorry, but this recommendation is wrong and bad.

What it should be is that you should buy the deluxe two-volume hardcover boxed collection of the Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga :colbert:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and YOU should be so kind as to link to the amazon page for it for convenience for potentially interested readers. :colbert::colbert:

the only flaw with it is that the sound effects are, bafflingly, translated in a huge sound index in the back of the books. It's so weird and pointless.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Last season's ACCA is a great political story that's as much about the different cultures of the fictional country it takes place in as the political drama itself. It has an awesome OP and a fantastic soundtrack, too.

ACCA! Watch ACCA!

Huh, never heard of this one. I'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Excuse me, sorry, but this recommendation is wrong and bad.

What it should be is that you should buy the deluxe two-volume hardcover boxed collection of the Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga :colbert:.

I've got this set and read the first book, but I'm really reluctant to start the second because there were never any good stopping points in the first (aside from the too few and far between chapter breaks). Clearly, the solution is just to read the entire thing without stopping, I guess.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Is the manga better than the movie? Because I remember watching that and being generally unimpressed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh god yes. It's a middling at best Ghibli movie but it's a fantastic manga and a towering work of science fiction in any format.

The two stories start in the same way but diverge rapidly very quickly.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The manga is about 10 times better though it does make Nausicaa into history's greatest monster

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TriffTshngo posted:

Any recommendations for half decent shonens (or just actiony stuff in general) with cool lady protagonists? The world needs more Jolyne Kujos and Anne from Managements. There's probably a bunch I've missed. I imagine this subject has been discussed before so feel free to point me to a page if someone's recently brought it up.

Mirai Nikki will very definitely scratch this itch.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mirai Nikki will very definitely scratch this itch.

lol, I like future diary but this is not what they're looking for

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yuno is an antagonist for more of the story than not.

in short

an actual dog posted:

I like future diary but this is not what they're looking for

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Medaka B-no I can't even finish that one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rose of Versailles.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yuno is an antagonist for more of the story than not.

in short

Huh, I kinda don't see it. There's literally two plot beats in the entire story, that I can think of otoh, where she does something bad to Yuki that isn't either entirely by accident or given sympathetic reasoning: the mini-arc where she kidnaps him and the bit where she manipulates him into killing his friends.

For the entire rest of the story, she's either unambiguously in his corner, or working against him for reasons you're expected to sympathize with, and the former still way outweighs the latter.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Huh, I kinda don't see it. There's literally two plot beats in the entire story, that I can think of otoh, where she does something bad to Yuki that isn't either entirely by accident or given sympathetic reasoning: the mini-arc where she kidnaps him and the bit where she manipulates him into killing his friends.

Holey moley.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watch re:cutie honey

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nate RFB posted:

I got this poo poo for $14 at a Book Off in San Diego. :v:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AlternateNu posted:

I got this poo poo for $14 at a Book Off in San Diego. :v:

You got that table for $14? Very​ nice deal.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of different looks for different collections, check out all these varieties of Akira.
https://twitter.com/sushio_/status/860617233189314560?s=09

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Strange Quark posted:

Holey moley.

I should probably clarify and say that what I'm arguing has next to nothing to do with whether she's morally in the right with anything she does. I am arguing that she is a protagonist, not a hero.

Like, if we're talking about the character's morality, yeah, she's preeetty horrible. The wrinkle, however, is that Yuki really doesn't give much of a poo poo most of the time, pretty much only when it affects him directly. A character has to, like, conflict in some way with the protagonist to be an antagonist, and the two instances I mentioned plus the Third World are the only instances in the story where that actually happens and it doesn't just get swept under the rug in some fashion, and I feel super weird mentioning the Third World as an example of this because Yuki really comes off as a massive dumbass in that bit and I sorta feel like the audience is meant to agree with Yuno's take.

e: also, Yuki ain't exactly a great person either. he's a huge dick to Yuno even before he gets a real reason to be one, he racks up a pretty decent body count himself (including literally murdering an entire orphanage side-by-side with Yuno), it only takes the absolute tiniest push to get him to gun down his best friends in cold blood, and he's perfectly content to let the world end so he doesn't have to kill Yuno at the end. Repeat, he sees the LITERAL ACTUAL END OF THE UNIVERSE as preferable to stabbing his girlfriend. She ain't exactly Lady Macbeth, they're more like Mickey and Mallory Knox.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 6, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

TriffTshngo posted:

Any recommendations for half decent shonens (or just actiony stuff in general) with cool lady protagonists? The world needs more Jolyne Kujos and Anne from Managements. There's probably a bunch I've missed. I imagine this subject has been discussed before so feel free to point me to a page if someone's recently brought it up.

Slayers

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AnoHito posted:

Is the manga better than the movie? Because I remember watching that and being generally unimpressed.
Man, you have no idea. I still consider the movie a classic but it was clearly just a template for the real saga that Miyazaki wanted to tell. It at best constitutes just the first volume or so (I don't remember how it breaks down in terms of tankoban) and from there the story expands astronomically. And most significantly are that a number of additional characters are either introduced or given more prominence, most notably Kushana (my favorite character) who is more of a deuteragonist than a villain like in the movie. Huge swaths of the story follow her instead with Nausicaä herself off doing stuff elsewhere. The manga is special as well in my view because while it is not super long, the pacing and story construction makes it feel truly grand and vast. It's the closest I feel I've seen in a manga (or anime) to being a "war epic" sort of story.

a kitten posted:

Speaking of different looks for different collections, check out all these varieties of Akira.
https://twitter.com/sushio_/status/860617233189314560?s=09
Akira is another classic manga series that is way better than its respective movie, for much of the same reasons as Nausicaä though it's not as good overall obviously. I still have the flipped Dark Horse volumes because to my knowledge a better/unflipped version was never released; would love to be corrected on that if that's changed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Akira is another classic manga series that is way better than its respective movie, for much of the same reasons as Nausicaä though it's not as good overall obviously. I still have the flipped Dark Horse volumes because to my knowledge a better/unflipped version was never released; would love to be corrected on that if that's changed.

The Kodansha Comic editions are right-to-left and seemed pretty drat good to me :shrug:.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

The Colonel posted:

watch re:cutie honey

So many animes pretending to be emails these days. Personally I'm looking forward to the anime adaption of re:re:re:re:re:10 SIGNS OF THE END TIMES.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I still have my dark horse volume too, bought over many years and in three states and both coasts of the US.

Anyway, Kodansha is putting out a new giant collection this fall.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/10/akira-gets-200-35th-anniversary-rerelease-kodansha/

I'm not sure if i love Akira quite enough to buy it all over again, but then again that looks pretty drat slick.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Asking for a lady friend of mine.

She LOVED March Comes in Like a Lion and Apollo on the Slope, and was indifferent towards Nichijou and One Punch Man. That is basically all of my usable data.

I think she's going for something plot heavy with interesting characters, not too much action and isn't too into "one-shot" kinda humor like Nichijou. Preferably something that has an end.

Any ideas?

p.s. She was also into moves like Summer Wars, 5cm/second, Your Name and stuff like that, but looking for a series to watch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

aherdofpenguins posted:

She LOVED March Comes in Like a Lion and Apollo on the Slope, and was indifferent towards Nichijou and One Punch Man. That is basically all of my usable data.

I think she's going for something plot heavy with interesting characters, not too much action and isn't too into "one-shot" kinda humor like Nichijou. Preferably something that has an end.

Any ideas?

p.s. She was also into moves like Summer Wars, 5cm/second, Your Name and stuff like that, but looking for a series to watch.

Give Monster a look, or maybe Mushishi.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Chihayafuru might be a good fit but it doesn't have end at the moment :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and ACCA might be good fits.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
euphonium might fit?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Strange Quark posted:

Strongly seconding both of these.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

aherdofpenguins posted:

Any ideas?

Strange Quark posted:

Very good suggestions by Strange Quark here.

Also, maybe try Honey and Clover (same author as March Comes in Like a Lion)?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Monster or maybe Mushishi.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Honey and Clover

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Strongly seconding both of these.

Strange Quark posted:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and ACCA

Knorth posted:

Chihayafuru

Thanks a ton for all of your suggestions! I'll run them by her and see what looks interesting. First glance for me Chihayafuru and the Rakugo ones look super interesting, but who knows.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Chihayafuru is legit one of my favourite things, and the only sports manga/anime I would ever recommend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

aherdofpenguins posted:

Any ideas?

Your Lie in April might be a good fit or My Little Monster for something a bit less serious, though that ends halfway through the manga unfortunately.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kokoro Wish posted:

Chihayafuru is legit one of my favourite things, and the only sports manga/anime I would ever recommend.

Have you watched Haikyuu? It's a lot more focused on the sport itself but it's really fantastic

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ACCA! (recommend to your friend that she ) Watch ACCA!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

Hello fellow lover of Chihayafuru and hater of all other sports anime! Make sure not to let them trick you into watching Haikyuu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sports anime is win