Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

marshmallow creep posted:

When are you not sprinting?

when i'm enjoying the references the game has in building signs

just beat it. closing thoughts:

- the game's writing relied too much on delsin passing out and waking up to reset the narrative.

- whenever people talk about how prototype is a venom/carnage simulator, this game is an x-men's rogue simulator, down to reading conduits' memories when absorbing their powers. it was cool an interesting but it was definitely a way to cram in backstory to characters who weren't fully fleshed out and to save resources. the comic book-looking montages were cool and a way to directly reference inFamous 1's cutscenes but it's like drebin's beauty and beast stories in mgs4: just becaue you're telling me about my enemy's tragic past doesn't mean i'm gonna sympathize with them since i as a viewer haven't really gotten a good feel for their character before fighting.

- the final ability is so drat cool, but it looked like i can only recharge my powers from absorbing fallen dup soldiers. :/

- augustine's design is pretty bland. it reminds me of this one character design video i watched years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VNMLauOUpU that or riza hawkeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Schubalts posted:

There's a similar reason for P4's death game over and P3's.The MC is the only one in the party who has been granted his Persona by Izanami, and is thus necessary to stop the other people Izanami "blessed" and then Izanami herself.

Everyone else in the group gains their Persona the "natural" way, by accepting their Shadow. Even the initial murder victims could have gained a Persona, if they hadn't angered their Shadow and been killed by it.

That would only make sense if the MC permadied, rather than just getting knocked out for a turn until yosuke or whoever throws a bead at them.

The point is that there the story justification, if there is any, is vague and handwavey, and the mechanic itself is annoying at best

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Zinkraptor posted:

The point is that there the story justification, if there is any, is vague and handwavey, and the mechanic itself is annoying at best

This is a point I think a lot of people overlook. Just because a bad/unfun mechanic can be explained by the story doesn't mean it should get a pass for being bad.

Another example of this, in my opinion, is the opening of MGSV. Sure, the scene makes sense in the scope of the story and events, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that it's literally a cutscenes that you're required to slowly play through in order to progress.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In Breath of the Wild none of the damage from sources other than weapons scales but enemy HP goes up a lot. It quickly goes from "I have a wide variety of ways to take out this enemy" to "I have a wide variety of ways to take off 1/10 of this enemy's HP before killing it with a sword."

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

moosecow333 posted:

This is a point I think a lot of people overlook. Just because a bad/unfun mechanic can be explained by the story doesn't mean it should get a pass for being bad.

Another example of this, in my opinion, is the opening of MGSV. Sure, the scene makes sense in the scope of the story and events, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that it's literally a cutscenes that you're required to slowly play through in order to progress.

I'd get it if it recognized you've been through this once and the second playthrough gave you an abridged version. Snake crawls on the ground kojima I get it MOVE IT!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
It would have been cool if the more drawn out segments were fast forwarded like a cassette tape and even had the same scrubbing noise when you use the Walkman.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

The Moon Monster posted:

In Breath of the Wild none of the damage from sources other than weapons scales but enemy HP goes up a lot. It quickly goes from "I have a wide variety of ways to take out this enemy" to "I have a wide variety of ways to take off 1/10 of this enemy's HP before killing it with a sword."

Yeah. It sucks pretty bad. Especially when the common mook has so much health that it takes like half your inventory breaking to kill them. Even though you usually get some decent monster parts from them, it sometimes feels like the best thing to do is avoid them.

Would be nice if there was a way to fix weapons, or maybe even having a weapon shop (the closest thing is the ancient labs where you can make ancient weapons).

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Action Tortoise posted:

- the final ability is so drat cool, but it looked like i can only recharge my powers from absorbing fallen dup soldiers. :/

It also recharges on its own as long as you're on the ground, but yeah, the only drainable source is DUPs. But gently caress that power, smoke is the best one :colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ShootaBoy posted:

It also recharges on its own as long as you're on the ground, but yeah, the only drainable source is DUPs. But gently caress that power, smoke is the best one :colbert:

That's a funny way to spell neon.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah totally, Neon was cool enough to get it's on really good how-it-should-be-done DLC.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wish Assassin's Creed Syndicate would poo poo or get off the pot when it comes to its politics. The game is ostensibly about fighting cut-throat Victorian capitalists and trying to push back against British imperialism, but is super lily-livered when it comes to actually defining what it actually stands for. So you spend a whoooole bunch of not-very-good missions dealing with the evils of the East India Company and trying to convince politicians to give India its independence back, but then you actually meet Queen Victoria and the characters are suddenly accepting honors and doing missions on her behalf. Then you have the side missions of 'rescuing' child workers, who it seems you immediately put to work in your crime gang. I get that Ubisoft are non-committal because they don't want to be controversial, but you're doing missions for Karl Marx for god's sake.

I guess one of the bigger problems with the series, as far as I can see, is that what the Assassins actually want to achieve is never defined.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I wish Assassin's Creed Syndicate would poo poo or get off the pot when it comes to its politics. The game is ostensibly about fighting cut-throat Victorian capitalists and trying to push back against British imperialism, but is super lily-livered when it comes to actually defining what it actually stands for. So you spend a whoooole bunch of not-very-good missions dealing with the evils of the East India Company and trying to convince politicians to give India its independence back, but then you actually meet Queen Victoria and the characters are suddenly accepting honors and doing missions on her behalf. Then you have the side missions of 'rescuing' child workers, who it seems you immediately put to work in your crime gang. I get that Ubisoft are non-committal because they don't want to be controversial, but you're doing missions for Karl Marx for god's sake.

I guess one of the bigger problems with the series, as far as I can see, is that what the Assassins actually want to achieve is never defined.

Strictly mercenary and playing politics to eventually secure more for themselves?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

isn't this the game where Marx is a social democrat who says you should never be mean to capitalists and should slowly achieve progressive goals through proper Parliamentary process

edit: yes

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

isn't this the game where Marx is a social democrat who says you should never be mean to capitalists and should slowly achieve progressive goals through proper Parliamentary process

edit: yes

Apparently their depiction of Marx is actually okay:

quote:

“The thing about Marx is that, by the late 1860s, he is somebody who is encouraging workers to unite into parties and to actually engage with parliamentary democracy. And this pits him against the rising group of anarchists, both within Britain and also within continental Europe, who feel that the workers will never be able to achieve their goals unless they completely destroy the political system.

“So I actually think the depiction of Marx in this game is pretty accurate, simply because they’re showing this division between his followers and his theories compared with the anarchists, who are shown in this game with one British person hoping to blow up Parliament who ends up killing himself.”

http://kotaku.com/what-the-new-assassins-creed-gets-wrong-and-right-ac-1739489922

But I guess the main problem with the game's politics is that they let the player live out a fantasy of being a liberal social crusader fighting vague tyranny and skate over that the player characters don't have defined political opinions.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Strictly mercenary and playing politics to eventually secure more for themselves?

Hahaha, no, that'd be good writing where characters have meaningful motivations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Persona 5 seems to be under the impression that the player is an idiot or has never played a game before. Every five minutes in a dungeon there's a cutscene where your teammates act like total morons over basic video game concepts. And thank god, because how else was I supposed to figure out on my own that the keycard I picked up is used on the door with a keycard slot I just passed? And every time you enter a new room, there's a cutscene showing you there's something of interest in it, even if it's just a switch immediately to you right. Hell, at one point you enter an elevator room and there's a cutscene showing you the loving elevator, followed by your idiot friend going "What's the point of going to this room for?", despite establishing earlier we needed to take an elevator.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Assassins do have defined political opinions: they're the good guys. They like what the good guys like, and what America likes, and they hate what the bad guys like. Assassins are in favor of good things happening, and against bad things happening, and the bad things are caused by the Templars, who are evil. But the Assassins are good.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The assassins are basically anarchists and nihilists. Everything is permitted, except for the poo poo that the templars want to do.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The Assassins are all for the vague concept of "freedom" but the games writers aren't really clever enough to do something like exploring where freedom to do poo poo can have negative reprecussions. The first game had some gray parts where some of the Templars had complex motivations (even if some I'd it fell flat like the "slavery is ok!" Guy but I don't think you're necessarily supposed to agree with these people in the first place).
Then starting in 2 they just get all snidely whiplash and you punch the pope. That was cool.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's posters all around for Prey that have a quote from a national newspaper saying "Prey is Bioshock in space" which is possibly the most inane description of anything I've ever read.

Especially as Bioshock in space predated Bioshock considerably.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's posters all around for Prey that have a quote from a national newspaper saying "Prey is Bioshock in space" which is possibly the most inane description of anything I've ever read.

Especially as Bioshock in space predated Bioshock considerably.

A large portion of gamers probably have never played System Shock so the reference would make no sense to them

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

AAA games can't take a real stand on politically charged topics or else they could alienate a portion of their potential audience. At best they can use those topics as backdrops for their oppressive regime worldbuilding that the player will ultimately topple.

Like inFamous: SS' good ending is ridiculously naive. The game has spent a considerable amount of time explaining the oppression conduits face and why the villain thinks it's necessary to isolate them from the general public for the greater good.

The general premise for the villain's philosophy makes sense to me. There is no way you could release those captive conduits into the public and expect a smooth transition from both sides.

To clarify, I'm not agreeing with the villain; I just get what her broken logic is trying to reconcile.

There is a potentially good debate here over conduits' worth as people versus the general safety of the public but the game never really talks about it. It just adorns the DUP in Storm Trooper-esque aesthetics and gives the villain a 'were not so different' speech.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There is a point in Persona 5 where, in the middle of a dungeon, you fight a miniboss. This is fine, because you've fought four before this point and your characters go "Watch out, we've got poo poo coming up." So that's fine. But then, without any other signposting, you fight another tough battle. Then another miniboss. Then the final form of the miniboss.

gently caress I was really happy I had been producing coffee nearly every night, because all that poo poo drained my resources real quick, and was pretty tiresome to boot.

Also I'm getting tired of bosses with multiple forms, especially when there's more than two and they're only activated when you drain the previous form of all its health - that's bullshit, l shouldn't have to conserve my items, health, and SP just "in case" there's another battle coming up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know exactly the fight you're talking about. Stuff like that is why I keep the SP regen patches on at all times. "Oh these other accessories might be kind co--" No. SP Patch 3.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I hate how Persona is really stingy with SP recovery items to force you to spend multiple days on dungeons. I mean yeah, half the gameplay revolves around time economy but I don't like having to be super-conservative with my SP. Persona 4 almost had it right, but the Fox is way too expensive to use for a good portion of the game. At least persona isn't not as bad as Ni No Kuni in that regard.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I beat Persona 5 without realizing that the very final dungeon, which is required to be done in one day, has NPCs which will full heal and full restore your SP; I just thought the dungeon was one big endurance run.

Everyone else seemed to find those NPCs no problem but I maintain that they really should have actually pointed them out instead of relying on the player to talk to everyone they see.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I beat Persona 5 without realizing that the very final dungeon, which is required to be done in one day, has NPCs which will full heal and full restore your SP; I just thought the dungeon was one big endurance run.

Everyone else seemed to find those NPCs no problem but I maintain that they really should have actually pointed them out instead of relying on the player to talk to everyone they see.

I assume you haven't played Persona 3 or 4 - that's kind of how the final dungeon works in all of them, and how I knew I wasn't in the final dungeon yet.

I know exactly the fight you're talking about. Stuff like that is why I keep the SP regen patches on at all times. "Oh these other accessories might be kind co--" No. SP Patch 3.

Yeah it's a rare case of "this item is too valuable to not use all the time"

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 19:25 on May 5, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I assume you haven't played Persona 3 or 4 - that's kind of how the final dungeon works in all of them, and how I knew I wasn't in the final dungeon yet.

I've played 3 and 4 but didn't remember that about them because it has been many years.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It has been many years but man did I remember that Fox for some reason.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Mikl posted:

That's a funny way to spell neon.

Croccers posted:

Yeah totally, Neon was cool enough to get it's on really good how-it-should-be-done DLC.

If being called out during the LP didn't shame me, then you won't either. I will die on this smoke hill.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Morpheus posted:

Regen equipment in general hits this more often than I like.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

It has been many years but man did I remember that Fox for some reason.

How would anybody forget that fox? It was the most valuable asset you ever got.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wonder if the money grubbing fairy from the first persona will ever come back?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Assassins are all for the vague concept of "freedom" but the games writers aren't really clever enough to do something like exploring where freedom to do poo poo can have negative reprecussions. The first game had some gray parts where some of the Templars had complex motivations (even if some I'd it fell flat like the "slavery is ok!" Guy but I don't think you're necessarily supposed to agree with these people in the first place).
Then starting in 2 they just get all snidely whiplash and you punch the pope. That was cool.

But even if we did this goons would just be upset that the assassins are explicitly not Bernie Sanders' Socialist Revolution But Slightly Bloodier.

I did totally think that in revelations, when Ezio leads a bunch of people to their deaths in a riot to create a distraction and later gasses a city with toxic fumes, the assassins might have gone off the deep end but apparently not...

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
You know what always bugged me about the games? Why were the assassins still reliant on hidden blades in the modern day? Like besides being the thing the games are known for. That fight at the end of AC2 is so goofy to me because I keep thinking why don't they shoot it out?

Bloodborne
Is the Kirkhammer a noob trap? The stats say it's better than Ludwig's Blade but at the same weapon level Ludwig's Blade is definitely outclassing its damage.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Kirkhammer is fun and can be good, Ludwig's is just ridiculous and always has been.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Kirkhammer in transformed mode does bludgeoning damage instead. That can be more or less effective depending on the enemy. It also depends on the scaling and your stats. The hammer's more of a Strength weapon, but LHB is pretty much the weapon for quality builds. Bloodborne doesn't have n00b traps when it comes to primary weapons, literally all of them are viable for the entire game. Find one that suits your playstyle and allocate stats accordingly.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Kirkhammer does require you to hit enemies directly with the brick though, if you hit them with the haft it does less damage.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

So I've been playing Nier, and really the only thing thats dragging down the game for me is the lack of lock-on, especially when nier gets in the way of aiming the low-powered energy blasts unless its during a boss fight or something that pulls the camera up much higher in the arena. It does bug me a little when you can get sidequests for items that are in areas that you can't access fully at the time you get the sidequest, like the junkheap. Other than that it's great, probably building up to one of my favorite games of all time.

But I took a break from that and started playing Drakengard, which could be considered an entire game of things dragging the game down, but for some reason it works for me. I dig the repetitive sampled music. The combat is bad but it reminds me of LoK: Soul Reaver for some reason. The dreary art style fits the grimdark setting. The story starts out really generic and gets insane.

But there are things that just bug the poo poo out of me in it, like the terrible camera controls during ground combat, which I can give a pass to since off the top of my head I can't think of a console game from around that time that didn't have a terrible camera, but it fucks you over all the time. If you hit L2, you kinda sorta lock-on to an enemy in the form of a block, but it's random which enemy it locks onto, and it seems like 3/4s of the time it locks onto an enemy you just killed, but hasn't despawned yet. Your right stick allows you to turn the camera 90 degrees right or left, but that's it.

Each mission has an hour long time limit, which is more than enough time for just about every mission I've played, but it seems pointless when nothing other than secret poo poo is tied to the time limit and imo it gets in my way of sating my bloodlust during a level, especially one of the bigger ones, like the one where you take on the empire's army and there are many thousands of soldiers on the battlefield and I'm not sure you can kill them all before an hour is up. Also if you're on one of the bigger levels and it has multiple objectives that you don't initially know about, you might take a leisurely pace through it just to find that you suddenly are out of time and you need to complete like 20 minutes worth of killing in three minutes. Granted, that might just be the way I play.

Probably the biggest thing that annoys me are the archers, which are probably the weakest enemies in the game but they move slightly faster than you, can stucklock you, and if theyre offscreen, they rapid fire arrows into your back. They also rapid fire arrows into you while youre riding the dragon before they are in the games pretty poor draw distance.

One thing I like is how everything is tied to killing your enemies. Want to level up? kill dudes. Want to level your weapons up? kill dudes. You're currently on one hp and you desperately need to heal up? kill dudes and rack up a combo.

Another thing I like is how accessing the different endings is handled. Usually you have to play the entire game over again (which they made you do in Drakengard 2) but in drakengard you just have to replay a chapter while having a character in your party which you get by beating a certain level under a certain time limit. It reminds me of the system used in Siren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ came out just over five months ago and was largely panned by community for being relatively light in content while also adding a bunch of stuff that actively made the game less fun. While some of the negatives were patched out, the relatively small amount of new content (very little of which was actually new, the new area it ads is just a mix of tilesets from all the existing levels and the new final boss is a glorified boss rush) was excused by the creators with the promise that with the new mod tools they would be patching in user-created content as official new material every month.

Cue five months later, there has only been one of these booster packs and it added a paltry 9 items and 3 trinkets :nallears: