Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hot take: Five Guys' fries are not that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Get just the fries from Five Guys and also some Thai curry and combine them into the devil's poutine

This actually sounds like it might be possibly maybe delicious

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

They're a fry that needs a condiment. I put them on the end of the spectrum of fries that like "this is like a potato" which is like, where steak fries reside, and is the opposite of, say, mcdonald's's "these are addictive as gently caress".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i had burger burger at the mall of america and it was pretty good and then i found out it was exclusive to the mall :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There are different types of fries and I like the ones that are just crispy fried potato with salt and based on that criteria, five guys fries are fantastic

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I wish we had a Five Guys closer to my home :sigh:

Like it's not ~quality dining~ but when you want a fast food burger and fries you can't really beat it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
five guys has about the soggiest fries of anywhere, though...

edit: There are 3 five guys in my town. I think. Maybe just two.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Snak posted:

from my experience mcdonalds has the moistest fries, they may as well be delivered in a small bucket

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

When it comes to burgers here there's either McDonald's/Burger King or gourmet burgers which are already expensive - there's this huge gap in between and nothing like Five Guys.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 6, 2017

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Snak posted:

That's like...*counts on fingers* fifteen guys, dude.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How is Dragon Quest Heroes II? I tried the demo and it was pretty fun, though I remember hearing the first one had some dubious tower defense elements. I enjoyed how fluidly you could switch between playable characters, though.

Palpek posted:

Well, it basically is a next-gen System Shock with everything that this entails:
-a giant space station free to explore an hour into the game with places locked behind necesary tools/powers that reward backtracking
-tons of secrets, detours, alternative routes to objectives, viable gameplay styles, tons of key cards, codes, emails, the game is really swimming in this stuff
-emergant gameplay where you can combine different tools you're given to use against the enemies in creative ways, you can focus on engineering or mental powers or being a wizard etc., there's a lot of Deus Ex in this System Shock
-I dig the setting and the aliens being able to turn into any item in a room and then you being able to get those powers from them

Overall I just really like how much this game lets me gently caress around and explore, try weird ideas and then see them realized because the devs actually thought about that.

That sounds really promising. I'll have to check it out sooner than later. I really dig its overall atmosphere from what I've seen, though I'm trying to keep myself unspoiled so I'm not watching too much.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Can't believe your only choice is between Mickey D's and Five Guys. You don't have any local places to burg?

www.instagram.com/tommysburgerstop

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't even have a 5G anymore, it's mcdonalds, a burger king 10 minutes away, and then restaurants. SUBURBIA

there's a red robin that's like 20+ minutes away and that's too far away to get a burger imo

e: there's also a wendys but its like. i mean i've had MCD/BK/W's and that poo poo aint burgers. it's fuckin not. i had a Bacon King from BK on my bus ride home because my eating options were limited to the bus rest stop, and that poo poo was not a fuckin burger. it looked like one but it was not one

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 6, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The closest to 5G that we have is Wendys and they're okay, pretty good. Better than McDonalds, home of the wheat burgers.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Palpek posted:

When it comes to burgers here there's either McDonald's/Burger King or gourmet burgers which are already expensive - there's this huge gap in between and nothing like Five Guys.

Sorry you live in hell.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Maybe hell is a little too strong. More like burgatory

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is a small local chain around Portland with some drat good fries. The burgers are kinda unremarkable though, and it's a fairly long wait currently.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you have a halfway decent grill, grilling your own burgers can be great. I've made some loving monster burgers this week. My roommate sometimes make these fancy burgers that have like, diced onions and peppers mixed into the patties, but I'm super lazy and I don't do any of that. I just take the ground beef, smash it into patties, a little salt and pepper and chuck em on the grill. I don't even oil it or anything and the come out super good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Smash a burger sometime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppoWmd4LXVs

Nice thing about living in Wisconsin is how many places serve delicious smashed burgers. Tipsy Cow in Madison owns

Also Culver's is an awesome fast food burger

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 6, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cajun Fries at Five Guys have some of the best seasoning you can get on a fast food french fry.

Their burgers are good but nothing special, the ingredient choices are solid

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

If you have a halfway decent grill, grilling your own burgers can be great. I've made some loving monster burgers this week. My roommate sometimes make these fancy burgers that have like, diced onions and peppers mixed into the patties, but I'm super lazy and I don't do any of that. I just take the ground beef, smash it into patties, a little salt and pepper and chuck em on the grill. I don't even oil it or anything and the come out super good.

You're doing the right thing. :D

I don't get a grill out, I just fry up the ground beef patties in a frying pan on the stove in a little oil. Makes for some pretty satisfying quick burgers!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Eh, for being super early that Darksiders 3 footage looks okay.

It's obviously got a way to go but I'm not dissuaded yet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We got a cheap old gas grill off of craig's list. It was like 15 bucks.

Pan frying burgers is fine too, but I like to get outside when it's nice and it kind of dirties one less dish.

Grilling with charcoal has its plusses, but it's much more of a pain and a bigger endeavor than just turning gas on and off.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

why though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

How is Dragon Quest Heroes II? I tried the demo and it was pretty fun, though I remember hearing the first one had some dubious tower defense elements. I enjoyed how fluidly you could switch between playable characters, though.

That sounds really promising. I'll have to check it out sooner than later. I really dig its overall atmosphere from what I've seen, though I'm trying to keep myself unspoiled so I'm not watching too much.

Dqh2 rules. Fully expands every feature of the original into new places. If you like hack and slash its must buy

Also The tower defense was the meat of the first game and was actually awesome and tense.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dont get me wrong, doin your own grill is good too but sometimes i just want that professional burger experience and in suburbia that's like dark souls. the dark souls of finding a good burger

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Dqh2 rules. Fully expands every feature of the original into new places. If you like hack and slash its must buy

Also The tower defense was the meat of the first game and was actually awesome and tense.

I probably heard about it from someone who doesn't like tower defense, then. Is it also a core part of the sequel?

I'll probably pick it up either way. The demo was fun and I love a good hack and slash.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

If you go to their website, you can see this:

Those were all posted like 2 months ago.

I remember reading this quote:
“Forty years ago, I set out to make a personal art picture that could hopefully influence generations of viewers for years to come. Today, I’m joined by new daredevils, a team who want to make an interactive version of Apocalypse Now, where you are Captain Benjamin Willard amidst the harsh backdrop of the Vietnam War. I’ve been watching videogames grow into a meaningful way to tell stories, and I’m excited to explore the possibilities for Apocalypse Now for a new platform and a new generation,” said Francis Coppola via official announcement.

And thinking "He thinks that this is somehow going to be meaningful and interactive art."

Very few first person shooters manage to pull that off.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Roasted brussels sprouts are my new favorite thing. I've been eating steamed frozen ones all my life but the local produce and butcher place has fresh ones and that plus a drizzle of olive oil and some seasoning in the oven gives you a crispy, satisfying snack.

chumbler posted:

Five Guys is OK but both the price and the wait is in an awkward place where it's not quite fast food and it's not quite a proper sit-down dining establishment so it always feels disappointing to me. Like if you get a complete meal of a regular-sized burger, fries, and drink it's gonna be about $15, where I live that's more than some entrees at any of the decent local restaurants.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like that I can eat a bunch of peanuts while I wait for my food.

Edit: after looking at the Apocalypse Now game website, I'm pretty sure it's practically a scam to get Coppola to invest in it. It has no funding, they cancelled their kickstarted. They are planning to release it on the following platforms:

PC
PS4
XBox One
Linux
Mac

Supporting:
PlayStation VR
HTC Vive
Oculus Rift
Samsung Gear VR
Google Daydream View

And here's what they say about cancelling the kickstarter:

quote:

Audience Demographics

Kickstarter’s audience is majority women (as much as 66% depending on the time / day).

Our audience is majority men (80%+).

Pledge Averages

Kickstarter’s audience prefers an average pledge of $25-30.

Our audience prefers a much higher average pledge. How high? Very high for Advisor tiers and around $120 for Enlisted/Officer tiers which matches FIG’s average. Our people want a AAA game, not a bargain project and none of us Backers or Developers, will accept anything less than greatness.

Web Traffic Stats

Kickstarter suffered a very meaningful (hopefully temporary but unexpected) decline in web traffic right before we put up the page there. This decline appears to continue.

We don’t make that up we get it from Amazon’s Alexa web traffic charts. You can see the free version here:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/kickstarter.com

We can’t do anything about anybody else’s website. We only have control over our own.

loving LOL

Emphasis mine. Kickstarter is failing and is mostly women, but our website for this game will get more traffic than kickstarter and will have a better chance of people pledging AND AVERAGE OF 120 loving DOLLARS?!

Holy poo poo.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 6, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I probably heard about it from someone who doesn't like tower defense, then. Is it also a core part of the sequel?

I'll probably pick it up either way. The demo was fun and I love a good hack and slash.

There are more types of encounters in the game now due to the shift from mission select and small map instances to open zones with many available quests to do.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 6, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
5 guys fries are like those handcut fries from the local joint except they aren't very good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hi may thread how is your saturday

im playing spot the furries on public transport but they're making it way too easy. why do greasy nerds always wear ragged button-up short sleeve shirts? the only acceptable button-up short sleeve is an aloha shirt, and only if you're going to a nice dinner, a wedding, a graduation, or a funeral

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This better be loving Friday, or I'm in even deeper poo poo than I thought.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

This better be loving Friday, or I'm in even deeper poo poo than I thought.

It's Friday!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Friday 8:11 PM EST here at least!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool. Now someone write this report for me :suicide:

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Snak posted:

people pledging AND AVERAGE OF 120 loving DOLLARS?!

I don't know about you but I am extremely stoked for the return of movie tie-in games

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

On the topic of limp fries, I'm glad that in n out, or at least the one near me, has stepped their game up and are making their fries a little more crisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Five Guys is OK but both the price and the wait is in an awkward place where it's not quite fast food and it's not quite a proper sit-down dining establishment so it always feels disappointing to me. Like if you get a complete meal of a regular-sized burger, fries, and drink it's gonna be about $15, where I live that's more than some entrees at any of the decent local restaurants.
where the heck are you that it costs that much, when i had one it was like under $10 for all that

I will say that like. the prices at fast food places are getting crazy. at the rest stop BK the bacon king was like $6.75 for just the sandwich. that poo poo aint even real meat. loving crazy margins

we won't be able to use a burger as the price equivalent to a cheap Steam sale deal anymore

• Locked thread