Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How likely is someone like Teachout kicking out Faso in the 19th district this time? He's no longer doing real town halls, scared of his own constituents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How likely is someone like Teachout kicking out Faso in the 19th district this time? He's no longer doing real town halls, scared of his own constituents.

Faso is my congressman and unfortunately the district includes some pretty hillbilly areas, along with a bunch of old people and really traditionally red communities. It would be an uphill battle but even old republicans are pretty loving pissed at him right now. They held a couple town halls without him and they were pretty interesting affairs. He also refuses to answer phones and is generally a huge loving coward.
Most typical people weren't fond of Teachout either though - the GOP painted her as a city intellectual elite and that didn't go over well either. :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LegionAreI posted:

Faso is my congressman and unfortunately the district includes some pretty hillbilly areas, along with a bunch of old people and really traditionally red communities. It would be an uphill battle but even old republicans are pretty loving pissed at him right now. They held a couple town halls without him and they were pretty interesting affairs. He also refuses to answer phones and is generally a huge loving coward.
Most typical people weren't fond of Teachout either though - the GOP painted her as a city intellectual elite and that didn't go over well either. :(

Anybody else interesting on the Democratic side around there?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

as much as i like zephyr teachout, she was absolutely a carpetbagger in that district. i'm not sure whether that encompasses some of Amedore's state senate district, but if it does, it'd be nice to see Cecilia Tkaczyk run. she won the first election there in 2012 even though it was carved out to be GOP friendly, but she lost the rematch two years later and hasn't bothered running since

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

as much as i like zephyr teachout, she was absolutely a carpetbagger in that district. i'm not sure whether that encompasses some of Amedore's state senate district, but if it does, it'd be nice to see Cecilia Tkaczyk run. she won the first election there in 2012 even though it was carved out to be GOP friendly, but she lost the rematch two years later and hasn't bothered running since

Unfortunately, according to Wikipedia, her home is in Duanesburg, which is in the 20th, represented by Democrat Paul Tonko.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

we like people trying to kill us with carcinogens in the river more than people from brooklyn who didn't pay their taxes like they should've at some point

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Tweezer Reprise posted:

we like people trying to kill us with carcinogens in the river more than people from brooklyn who didn't pay their taxes like they should've at some point

Pretty much. A lot of the 19th has a giant mad on for anyone regarded as too "city" ever since people from NYC started "invading" with their ever so progressive ideas such as not storing old tires in front lawns and recycling and poo poo. If a Democrat is going to win they need to be local and there's really no big names just yet.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Unfortunately, according to Wikipedia, her home is in Duanesburg, which is in the 20th, represented by Democrat Paul Tonko.

bahahaha what, i used to live in duanesburg (specifically delanson) and this:

quote:

She and her husband Eric own and live on a small sheep farm in Duanesburg, New York

yeah that's fuckin duanesburg alright

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
To this day I refuse to believe there is actually a human being named Zephyr Teachout

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

goose willis posted:

To this day I refuse to believe there is actually a human being named Zephyr Teachout

From someone else with a stupid name like that: cut it out, buddy

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/04/collins-says-didnt-read-health-bill-proves/

Collins didn't even read the goddamn bill

Of course he isn't having a town hall, I'm gonna have to find out where he lives and shout things at a house

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"A Principal Is Accused of Being a Communist, Rattling a Brooklyn School"

Unreal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I wonder if Sam Bee will have her on?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This left-wing political correctness is really getting out of control.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

quote:

Over the years, Ms. Bloomberg has become one of the most outspoken and visible critics of New York City’s public schools, regularly castigating the Education Department’s leadership at forums and in the news media. Most of her criticism is aimed at actions that she says perpetuate a segregated and unequal educational system and that penalize black and Latino students. Through the years, she has helped organize protests and assemblies to push for integration and equal resources and treatment for her almost entirely black and Latino student body.

I'm pretty sure that's the real reason and the communist stuff is just a smokescreen

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

goose willis posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the real reason and the communist stuff is just a smokescreen

when i read the first clause i thought this was going to be about michael bloomberg's wife pushing charter schools or something

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I wonder if with how ridiculously far-right Russia is getting and with the non-existence of the Soviet Union maybe we'll see communism being openly discussed again instead of being isolated to some weird people with bad facial hair sitting in bookstores wearing drab colors

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

when i read the first clause i thought this was going to be about michael bloomberg's wife pushing charter schools or something

:cawg:

Yeah, a rich white lady pushing for charter schools is going to get in trouble.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MizPiz posted:

:cawg:

Yeah, a rich white lady pushing for charter schools is going to get in trouble.

What if that charter was The Communist Manifesto?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So Maloney is currently making good on his threat that if Faso was going to hide and not explain AHCA to his constituents, he would.

https://twitter.com/NYCjamescobb/status/861712346279968770

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LegionAreI posted:

So Maloney is currently making good on his threat that if Faso was going to hide and not explain AHCA to his constituents, he would.

#AdoptADistrict better be going nationwide

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LegionAreI posted:

They used to go on duels for less in Congress before someone outlawed it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Laurie Cumbo officially came out against the Bedford Union Armory plan. constant pressure from community groups finally got to her

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cross-posting from NYC thread:

Cuomo distances himself from the state-run MTA

quote:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo, following weeks of service failures in New York City's subways, told reporters Thursday that his responsibility for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority merely consists of appointing a few people to its board, a responsibility shared by Mayor Bill de Blasio and county executives across the state. The state-run authority, he said, is a "regional transportation system."

"I have representation on the board,” the governor said. “The City of New York has representation on the board, so does Nassau, Suffolk, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, other counties, okay?”

But in reality, the governor controls the MTA nominating process and has more board representatives than anyone else in the state. He appoints its chairman and CEO.

:discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when cuomo finds out who proposed cutting over $60 million from the MTA budget this year, he'll really have egg on his face!

speaking of which, NYC residents want cuomo to run for president by a 2-to-1 margin, presumably because many of us are loving stupid

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This loving guy. Didn't he purpose some multi billion dollar fantasy of making the subway system something out of a Sci-fi novel?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

get that OUT of my face posted:

when cuomo finds out who proposed cutting over $60 million from the MTA budget this year, he'll really have egg on his face!

speaking of which, NYC residents want cuomo to run for president by a 2-to-1 margin, presumably because many of us are loving stupid

If he's president he won't be governor anymore.

Checks out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

If he's president he won't be governor anymore.

Checks out.

That's the selling point for me!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also, the poll question is "run for president" not win.

If he runs he's going to be spending 18 months in Iowa and New Hampshire and Wisconsin and Nevada and Ohio and all sorts of places that aren't New York even as he is still governor, and will be too busy to keep trying to poo poo on the mayor.

(Regardless of what you think of Deblasio, Cuomos relentless urge to score points on the guy is bad for all of us.)

I'm all in on the idea the more I think about it!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Tell me about this Medicare for All legislation. I thought the college funding was never going to happen but here we are.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/steenfox/status/861030537066029056

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's like the old proverb about victory having a 1000 fathers but defeat is always a orphan...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cuomo is asking Trump for help on Penn Station. Will this be his "Chris Christie hugs Obama after Sandy" moment?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Privatizing mass transit infrastructure is always a wonderful idea!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here's his tweet about it:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/866347007719473153

Lots of unsatisfied replies.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
demolish msg and expand penn station

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

demolish msg and expand penn station

Bring the train station back to Albany!

The irony of the Smart City Technology Innovation Center residing in the former Union Station is just too indicative of NY capital development.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i read a labor blog trashing trump's infrastructure plan and he apparently signed a law getting rid of the requirement to blacklist construction firms with bad safety records from working on federal projects. there's no low that cuomo won't sink to

getting rid of the current MSG to rebuild Penn Station was going to be a thing a few years ago, but James Dolan is a dick and refused to build a new arena a block or two away
disregard this btw, she came out to a rally with de blasio and someone from BFC (the developers) regarding the redevelopment. activism does nothing, hope is a lie

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bring the train station back to Albany!

The irony of the Smart City Technology Innovation Center residing in the former Union Station is just too indicative of NY capital development.

why would you want a train station when you could have a gondola station instead??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

why would you want a train station when you could have a gondola station instead??

Still gives me a chuckle, that. Albany Democrats, I tell ya...