Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Ood works in my opinion, because even if he's not the direct instigator, his tacit approval of their rebellion is sort of at odds with the sentiment Jakiri is talking about. It's definitely less common in New Who, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

...and it's captors decided promoting the frost fair was cheaper than feeding it livestock.

Pretend this was happening in the real world. What does your heart tell you to be true?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been working my way through Jago & Litefoot....Encore of the Scorchies is amazing. I was honestly not expecting a full musical episode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

navyjack posted:

Pretend this was happening in the real world. What does your heart tell you to be true?

Not sure. If he was feeding the creature from an orphanage, work house, or charity hospital that would be one thing, but there were some pretty posh looking people out on the ice. People that matter. The wrong one of those dies on the ice and there could be a proper investigation, and even if they don't find the creature if someone is found to be responsible for promoting the fair and getting more people out on the unsafe ice, there could be lawsuits or even criminal charges. There could be a campaign to ban future frost fairs entirely because they are too dangerous (this assumes the guy is right about the creature causing the Thames to freeze over, so if it hadn't been freed this wouldn't have been the last time the river had a hard freeze).

The frost fair scheme seems like an unnecessarily risky way to get meat. Though I suppose in Regency London meat would have been quite expensive.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

The Ood works in my opinion, because even if he's not the direct instigator, his tacit approval of their rebellion is sort of at odds with the sentiment Jakiri is talking about.

IMO the Doctor's real superpower is Marxism. He understands the laws of history. So he knows when it is revolution time, and when it isn't.

If something is inevitable, it has probably already happened. But sometimes some freak event or Outside Context Problem comes along that overrwhelms the local dynamics. Like a Dalek invasion when you were just about to invent fire. Or.a freak software glitch when you were about settle the matter of autonomy of the means of production.

In such cases, the Doctor likes to play the OCP to that OCP.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cerv posted:

And now I'm worried about that elephant from the opening scene

It was his plan to get a bunch of people out on the ice, he mentioned it. Since his plan didn't actually get to play out and he died right after, the elephant survived at least until the end of the episode!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

I've been working my way through Jago & Litefoot....Encore of the Scorchies is amazing. I was honestly not expecting a full musical episode.

It is amazing, but the Companion Chronicles Scorchies episode is so much better.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, the 9th Doctor Chronicles hit today. Hopefully the stories are good even if Briggs' 9 isn't so much.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Well, the 9th Doctor Chronicles hit today. Hopefully the stories are good even if Briggs' 9 isn't so much.

I finally went and listened to the fifteen minute preview they had in the last podcast earlier and I definitely came away from it a lot more positively than I did with the actual trailer for the set. The format feels a bit Churchill Years-y, which is something I ultimately enjoyed a decent bit despite initially having zero interest in it, but I feel where that kind of worked because you had a central voice from the show in Ian McNeice's Churchill providing a framing device recounting the stories, whereas this is just Briggs narrating the stories and bunging on some voices for people they couldn't get.

Really have no idea how they managed to cobble together such a terrible trailer for something that doesn't seem anywhere near that goofily bad. I'll wind up getting it eventually, but unless the reviews say the stories are absolute crackers it's really more the kind of thing I can leave until I have a bit of a gap in my listening plan/feel like a change rather than jumping straight on like a River or CDNM set or whatever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/860041491582001153

So they're finally giving Tom a full-time audio-exclusive companion.

I'm honestly a bit shocked it hadn't happened already, given BF's proclivity for such things.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

radmonger posted:

In such cases, the Doctor likes to play the OCP to that OCP.

Robocop crossover time

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Robocop crossover time

I honestly don't know another OCP.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a tidbit; the first story in the 9th Doctor Chronicles takes place so early that he's still using the War Doctor's sonic.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Robocop crossover time

Clarence Boddicker vs. the Daleks. I'd pay to see that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nathan Barley's point about coal mines was a good one which was skimmed over because he's the baddy

It's basically a parallel. The theme of the episode is that "innocent people are ground up by an uncaring machine to keep The Economy going", and the underwater monster is just one manifestation of that. That it's not necessarily worse than the mines (you'd have to get into some unpleasant calculus of how many die in each to produce how much of whatever) isn't really a defense.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CobiWann posted:

Clarence Boddicker vs. the Daleks. I'd buy that for a dollar.

FTFY

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

I'm not sure which bits of the kaled mutants he can possibly shoot off

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

CobiWann posted:

C'mon boys, the Khaleds are in town! I never miss a game!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/860041491582001153

So they're finally giving Tom a full-time audio-exclusive companion.

I'm honestly a bit shocked it hadn't happened already, given BF's proclivity for such things.

Also tre cool: they're making plans for new T Bakes audios for 2 years out. :swoon:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

Also tre cool: they're making plans for new T Bakes audios for 2 years out. :swoon:

Some of their stuff is legit recorded that far in advance

And honestly, not to be fatalistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Big Finish gets Tom in as often as they can, just in case of, well, sudden demise.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

And honestly, not to be fatalistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Big Finish gets Tom in as often as they can, just in case of, well, sudden demise.

So you might say the moment is being prepared for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tom Baker could die at any moment! (Source: Tom Baker)

Tom Baker ain't going nowhere (Source: The preposterous notion of a universe without Tom Baker in it)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Tom Baker could die at any moment! (Source: Tom Baker)

Tom Baker ain't going nowhere (Source: The preposterous notion of a universe without Tom Baker in it)

One day Tom Baker will just vanish without a trace. And strangely, Peter Davidson will start acting a whole lot more smug like he knows something we don't...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

like he knows something we don't...

We will never get to kiss him. :smith:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

It was his plan to get a bunch of people out on the ice, he mentioned it. Since his plan didn't actually get to play out and he died right after, the elephant survived at least until the end of the episode!

There's an interesting commentary on sustainability in his whole plan.

They've been feeding this creature for centuries, but his big plan is to cause a disaster so big that it could lead to no-one wanting to attend future frost fairs.

Or if it all goes to plan, you have to imagine some would go diving to fish out the bodies when they all disappear and discover the creature.

Maximum short term profit at the expense of long term gain.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't there a little remark from Bill or The Doctor that he doesn't have time to get outraged because he's just always outraged?

That's my secret, Bill. I'm always outraged.

*turns towards enemies, regenerates back into Six*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One day Tom Baker will just vanish without a trace. And strangely, Peter Davidson will start acting a whole lot more smug like he knows something we don't...

Us: Ha ha I love how Davidson is doing imitations of previous doctors now
Davidson: when I say reverse the polarity of the neutron flow offer Chatterton a jelly baby :shepface:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Chokes McGee posted:

Us: Ha ha I love how Davidson is doing imitations of previous doctors now
Davidson: when I say reverse the polarity of the neutron flow offer Chatterton a jelly baby :shepface:

Man, we're gonna have to find the zero room again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

Some of their stuff is legit recorded that far in advance

Tom himself has said they'll be releasing new stuff with him long after he's gone.

David Richardson said recently that they were in preproduction for series TEN. The new companion debuts in series EIGHT.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I'm not quite sure how and why, but there's a new group doing fan doctor who audio stories.
I've actually voiced a part on an upcoming story, once it comes out, if it's not too terrible, I might link it to you guys.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I honestly wish BF hadn't told us that John Hurt had signed on to do another season of War Doctor boxsets. The potential of what could have been... :sigh:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

WHAT THE gently caress IS McCOY SOING IN SENSE8

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I dunno, but I did have a dream last night that the 7th Doctor showed up for Capaldi's finale ep. It was pretty cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I honestly wish BF hadn't told us that John Hurt had signed on to do another season of War Doctor boxsets. The potential of what could have been... :sigh:

Pancreatic cancer can just gently caress right off.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Honestly, I thought John Hurt would just never die.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hurt came from a pretty cool generation of actors, didn't he? All those guys and girls born between 1930 and 1940 - you had Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Alan Bates, Oliver Reed, Brian Blessed, Ian Holm, Anthony Hopkins, Vanessa Redgrave, Julie Andrews; a whole host of others. Tom Baker was in that generation of actors.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I've listened to the first two 9th Doctor Chronicles stories, and started the third. I wouldn't say these stories thus far are absolutely unmissable...but they're pretty solid. The writing really feels like the 9th Doctor era, (up to and including the RTD era's proclivity for the Cloister Bell ringing for a relatively trivial thing and the particular way the TARDIS is described as materializing).

Briggs' 9 is growing on me. He's not a skilled impressionist; but he's got the general tone and cadence down.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

someone brought up chris chibnall to colin baker at a con i was at this evening and he's still salty about the segment chris did on open air in the 80s lmao

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tim Burns Effect posted:

someone brought up chris chibnall to colin baker at a con i was at this evening and he's still salty about the segment chris did on open air in the 80s lmao

I can't imagine Colin holding a grudge for years and years and years. And years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Torchwood Series 5: Aliens Among Us coming not to your television screens, but to your headphones! RTD himself actually was involved in the early planning stuff.

If you don't feel like clicking through, the gist is that Big Finish is doing a 12 episode Torchwood series, released as three 4-episode box sets (coming in August, October, and next February). Full cast, with Jack, Gwen, Rhys, and Andy; being joined by new characters Mr Colchester (Paul Clayton), Ng (Alexandria Riley), Tyler (Jonny Green) and Orr (Sam Béart).

• Locked thread