Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there a way to see all the untapped mining/research points in my empire?

Panning around all my newly conquered regions and hunting little white numbers is a bit of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

Is there a way to see all the untapped mining/research points in my empire?

Panning around all my newly conquered regions and hunting little white numbers is a bit of a pain.

If you toggle off the detail checkbox towards the bottom right of the screen it will only display the numbers that are in your empire and unexploited.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Gobblecoque posted:

If you toggle off the detail checkbox towards the bottom right of the screen it will only display the numbers that are in your empire and unexploited.

There's a key you can hold that does the same thing, I think it's CTRL? Or ALT? Maybe SHIFT?

Taear posted:

Maybe they don't realise that migration from external powers is broken because (like others have said) your internal migration is all weird right now. I've only just filled my starting planet after maybe 200 years because of it!

Well yeah, but as someone who has vague hopes that xenophile will one day be something besides an obvious mistake, this change was just particularly rear end in a top hat-y.

Like, you already can't get xenos with a 300% migration attraction and a migration agreement, they're useless even if you could get them, but now they triple plus won't ever migrate to your empire.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Gobblecoque posted:

Well. That's probably something I should have noticed sooner.

Thanks!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I love it when an hours-long game comes to a grinding halt because one planet in a system you overlooked was a Tomb World, and when you added it to the sector, no matter if you turned off the option later, or remove the planet from the sector, or personally hunt down whatever bastard shipyard is making the colony ships, the AI will not loving rest until it has touched down on that nuclear wasteland and dragged you into a war with the Spiritualist FE on literally, LITERALLY the opposite side of the galaxy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Like, you already can't get xenos with a 300% migration attraction and a migration agreement, they're useless even if you could get them, but now they triple plus won't ever migrate to your empire.

It definitely feels like a bug though. I got some xenos to migrate to a 14 space planet, one without Land of Opportunity. Yet a Gaia world with land of opportunity they weren't interested in at all.
That must mean something is broken rather than it's been done on purpose.

quote:

I had that happen in one of my Ironman saves too. Suddenly 30 pops of a subject species became the founder species while the 500 pops of my former main species all became enslaved and ruined my energy and research income.
I needed to recover a save from yesterdays backup to continue, and choose "no" on the psionic ascension.
There's literally two pops of what it now considers my founder race. Which isn't fun. And they have a really stupid name too.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I still think this change means to combat the nutso internal migration, because having your people keep abandoning your older worlds for newer ones gets tiresome real fast.

On the flip side, this is a strong buff to nomadic and Rapid Breeders, because now you can't rely on migration to maximise your pop growth rate.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the migration issue due to the change they made that only allows one pop at a time to migrate to a planet? It's likely not that external migration can't happen, so much that if any internal pop tries to migrate to a world, all other migration attempts would be blocked until it's done (in which case the cycle would just repeat). I would guess internal migrants are checked first, so you'd only get xenos coming in if no single pop anywhere in your empire wants to come to that world.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Palleon posted:

Isn't the migration issue due to the change they made that only allows one pop at a time to migrate to a planet? It's likely not that external migration can't happen, so much that if any internal pop tries to migrate to a world, all other migration attempts would be blocked until it's done (in which case the cycle would just repeat). I would guess internal migrants are checked first, so you'd only get xenos coming in if no single pop anywhere in your empire wants to come to that world.

Wait poo poo, when was that change made? No wonder it doesn't loving work, that's ridiculous.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Wait poo poo, when was that change made? No wonder it doesn't loving work, that's ridiculous.

Banks patch notes:

code:
# Colonization & Migration
* Doubled the base time it takes to colonize planets
* When a Pop migrates to a new planet, it will now get a happiness boost for 10 years
* Only a single Pop can now be migrating to a planet at any given time

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
That change came after a lot of people complained about new planets instantly filling up with pops, something i actually liked and miss.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
who would complain about that that is the loving point of migration holy heck

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I think the chief complaint was planets getting overpopulated before food production could be set up, which 1) could have been better addressed by capping migrants at positive food production and 2) became irrelevant with global food anyway.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GlyphGryph posted:

It was a pretty big problem - three years after you colonized or so you would sometimes have a full planet with no buildings.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

It was a pretty big problem - three years after you colonized or so you would sometimes have a full planet with no buildings.

How is that really a problem though?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Palleon posted:

Useless pops for many years.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Useless pops for many years.

Maybe it's a preference, but I'd rather have underproductive pops for a few years as opposed to waiting decades for the tiles on my planet to fill as buildings stand idle waiting for someone to work them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I had a great game going last night where we were through the shroud with a chosen one and a 60k blob of fleet really starting to swing my dick around the neighborhood as I waited for the midgame crisis to appear. Then I got the generic victory screen that says something like "this is where thje game says how you won" in engrish and my empire was gone, totally deleted from the map, fleets and systems and all like they were never there. Reloaded my (ironman) save and it's the same. Is this a known issue? Any idea what happened or how to avoid it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Palleon posted:

Maybe it's a preference, but I'd rather have underproductive pops for a few years as opposed to waiting decades for the tiles on my planet to fill as buildings stand idle waiting for someone to work them.

I would far rather have unproductive pops than no pops.

One of my favourite things is filling up a Gaia world with species from all over the galaxy. No wonder it's become impossible. Absolutely the worst change for me, that one.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

poverty goat posted:

I had a great game going last night where we were through the shroud with a chosen one and a 60k blob of fleet really starting to swing my dick around the neighborhood as I waited for the midgame crisis to appear. Then I got the generic victory screen that says something like "this is where thje game says how you won" in engrish and my empire was gone, totally deleted from the map, fleets and systems and all like they were never there. Reloaded my (ironman) save and it's the same. Is this a known issue? Any idea what happened or how to avoid it?

You were invading a planet weren't you, you utter fool This is fixed in 1.6. Abort any planetary occupations around the date you win/lose (you can still try again once you're past that point) and you should be able to avoid a premature end.

One day, when it's safely in the past, I'll tell the story of how that bug works because it's pretty funny.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Taear posted:

I would far rather have unproductive pops than no pops.

Not if they are being taken from productive tiles on your other planets.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

LordMune posted:

You were invading a planet weren't you, you utter fool This is fixed in 1.6. Abort any planetary occupations around the date you win/lose (you can still try again once you're past that point) and you should be able to avoid a premature end.

One day, when it's safely in the past, I'll tell the story of how that bug works because it's pretty funny.

Tell us now because it's funny for me already

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Palleon posted:

Pre-banks this would lead to starvation because food was a per-planet resource, which isn't a problem any more. Migration seems to be fairly indiscriminate about habitability or happiness matching and the pops have to come from somewhere, so you'd colonize a tomb world and as soon as the emigration timers completed you'd suddenly find half your home world pops had stopped working their empire uniques and tier 5 power plants to go play in a bare patch of radioactive dirt while complaining about it. Meanwhile your other tomb world was sending all its spare radioactive desert cockroaches to go live on that iceball you colonised earlier to get a migration treaty with the ice people next door who, incidentally, kept sending ice people to live on your water planet home world.

While effectively turning off migration does kind of solve some of these issues, it's not really addressing the root causes.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 6, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ulmont posted:

Not if they are being taken from productive tiles on your other planets.

You're misunderstanding. The problem is that because only one pop can migrate to a planet at any one time pops are coming from your own planets instead of filling up the planet with loads of pops from other empires. It turns into this forever, so you never get any pops from other empires.
I mean this will fix it which is nice, but it will still mean the AI needs full planets before any of their guys will come and visit you which is a real pain, at least for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

You were invading a planet weren't you, you utter fool This is fixed in 1.6.
By removing invasions? :dance:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LordMune posted:

Capitalists has built a glass factroy. You win.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Palleon posted:

When I tried a Nomad game, I would have core planets full of top-tier buildings left abandoned because everybody migrated to a comparatively barren colony.

It was really stupid and pretty bad for the economy, but I don't think the 1.6 approach was the right one.

At the very least, I think there should be migration from a planet if it has only empty tiles available (no buildings or resources). That is, unemployed pops should always be willing to migrate to a planet with jobs.

Ideally, I think the pop should migrate if either the planet is full, or a) they are under a certain threshold of happiness, and b) they would be significantly happier if they moved to another planet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I got.my xenophile mod half done. Am changing the rules for migration and pop growth too, and lowering the influence cost to move pops in authoritarian empires.

Unfortunately I am gonna be super busy with politics for the next month. boo. I dont know when i will finish.

Id really like authoritarians to be able to directly send pops they find troublesome away via migration treaty hahah. good for people on both sides

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 6, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I was someone who was annoyed about planets suddenly being full of useless assholes giving me unemployment and starvation notifications. I liked the idea of restricting how much migration can go to a planet, but in hindsight I realize that global food solves the worst of these problems.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When a planet is max pop let it have an overflow pop that it can poop onto another planet.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Like some kind of sewage world?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Jigoku San posted:

I don't get some of these patch changes... Nerfing warp, an already meh FTL type and buffing defence stations but increasing their build radius just keeps them pointless.

I dunno, depending on how tough/powerful they make things flak fortresses might make short work of enemy corvette fleets making flak-traps pretty good. They still won't do poo poo to battleships but just eliminating enemy chaff prior to a fight could make them worthwhile.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It does kill the Kinetic Artillery rosette, which I always enjoyed building, however.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think I may have messed up galaxy generation? So far I only found one empire that spawned right next to me, which I have conquered, and that fallen empire to the north. The distribution of habitable planets also seems like it's sparser than I remember from playing the game around launch. Perhaps playing Fanatical Purifiers for what is effectively a "first run" wasn't such a good idea, since I can't interact with the little trade post guys either.

e: To be clear I'd normally be pretty happy with all that land to go and claim, but there's no continental worlds at all outside my starting area, and since I'm playing Purifiers I can't use my conquered pops to colonize either.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pops as they are now should just be removed. Rebalance buildings to work constantly and have populations just be a number of how many of a species is living on the planet. Simply having a strong race on a planet gives that planet the bonus to minerals because the game, rightfully, assumes they'll be working on production. Same with thrifty and agricultural people. No more problems or fiddly micromanagement.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

I think I may have messed up galaxy generation? So far I only found one empire that spawned right next to me, which I have conquered, and that fallen empire to the north. The distribution of habitable planets also seems like it's sparser than I remember from playing the game around launch. Perhaps playing Fanatical Purifiers for what is effectively a "first run" wasn't such a good idea, since I can't interact with the little trade post guys either.

e: To be clear I'd normally be pretty happy with all that land to go and claim, but there's no continental worlds at all outside my starting area, and since I'm playing Purifiers I can't use my conquered pops to colonize either.

Pretty sure they lowered the default amount of habitable planets when they added the ability to set % habitable. Think old default would be 150-200% on galaxy gen now.

Atsushogob fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 6, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Poil posted:

Pops as they are now should just be removed. Rebalance buildings to work constantly and have populations just be a number of how many of a species is living on the planet. Simply having a strong race on a planet gives that planet the bonus to minerals because the game, rightfully, assumes they'll be working on production. Same with thrifty and agricultural people. No more problems or fiddly micromanagement.
It'll never happen, but I kinda feel the same. With some adjustments, like you need to have enough of the strong race based on how much mining you're doing, etc. But especially with e.g. domestic servant slavery, having the pops assigned to a tile makes no sense.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GlyphGryph posted:

I got.my xenophile mod half done. Am changing the rules for migration and pop growth too, and lowering the influence cost to move pops in authoritarian empires.

Unfortunately I am gonna be super busy with politics for the next month. boo. I dont know when i will finish.

Id really like authoritarians to be able to directly send pops they find troublesome away via migration treaty hahah. good for people on both sides

See if you can do a refugees for resources type of deal. It'd fit perfectly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm loving the navigation beacons in the new alphamod version.

Essentially you can put them in the special slot on a light platform, they create a huge aura that cuts your jump charge time by 75%, if you daisy chain them along the exits of all your systems, you can jump instantly from one to the next with no charge up, basically. It makes hyperspace so good on the defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Poil posted:

Using pops instead of demographics was an extremely Paradox move. Going with planet tiles, I would think a toggleable threshold for workers (check until 100,000 population [or whatever] and then default return "yes, they can work a tile") would work fine. I suppose add a fail-safe to turn population checking back on if it ever falls below a certain level. You could then have the player-owned tile industries pay for the best possible tile workers or subsidize your native population or import xeno slaves or whatever, and the populations could have baseline preferences in terms of what matters to them- income, culture, climate, etc. that would govern what sort of planet/lifestyle they would most favor. Tiles could draw from the pooled potential workers on the planet, and receive an appropriate production bonus from having that 1 McMightyMiner alien working in their Unobtainium mine. I don't know if that kind of thing would be artful or feasible code, but it seems like it would be a more intuitive and manipulative organization of population. I think some basic economic simulation would go a long way towards enhancing verisimilitude in population actions and desires, even in ostensibly post-scarcity societies. But if you can only collect so much Unobtainium, you are not really post-scarcity, are you? Claiming to be post-scarcity, when you're not, only so you can avoid paying your people a decent, working wage? Rather shameful, Paradox.

• Locked thread