Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

Geemer posted:

Have we seen either of them in direct sunlight?
My god. Which one do I shoot obliterate with an oversized sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I have a theory about Pascal.

His head orb

Is actually inside the torso!

It's almost exactly the right size!

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I can't imagine not saving absolutely every chance I get. It's ingrained into me over years of BS happening.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you find a savepoint, use a savepoint.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This interaction between 6O and 2B has some of my favorite voice acting from 2B in the game. She's maintaining that "I'm professional" vibe while still trying to show caring in her own way. Just reading the text makes it seem like 2B is dismissive but she does actually care, even just a little bit.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

KamikazePotato posted:

I can't imagine not saving absolutely every chance I get. It's ingrained into me over years of BS happening.

Yeah, one fun thing about Automata is watching people complain about losing their progress. There is almost never a longer than 10 minute span in this game where saving is unavailable, people have just become way too reliant on autosaves over the years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love 6O's storyline progression.

Hey 2B have you heard about Jupiter Spot astrology?

Later...

ASTROLOGY IS JUNK

Much later...

SHE TURNED ME DOWN BWAAAAAAAAAAH

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

ultrafilter posted:

And we're back to watching the videos just to verify that these moments actually are in the game.

When this released I was sufficiently interested that I prepared by reading Id's Drakengard 1 and Nier LPs and this was pretty much my resigned refrain throughout. The dialogue in these games is sarcastic, weird, and oddly human, and Id's additions to it are often only distinguishable from the actual script because they have an italics tag around them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Later...

ASTROLOGY IS JUNK

Much later...

Heh, I never made the connection that her horoscope was trying to warn her against doing it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Later...

ASTROLOGY IS JUNK

Much later...

Yeah, the operator's exchanges make them seem..more human. :3:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

6O is the best gay space robot. :3:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Grapplejack posted:

6O is the best gay space robot. :3:

You've been dethroned, C-3PO.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pascal is an extremely good boy. I love him a lot.

His Japanese voice actor is Aoi Yuki too, which is the best thing. She said recently actually that she's finished this game three times since it came out in February in Japan...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know we have a world to save from dopey looking machines and all, but I feel like it's our duty to go back to the bunker and play Robo-Wingman for 6O

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

6O is love, yeah. I love how normal she is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Danaru posted:

I know we have a world to save from dopey looking machines and all, but I feel like it's our duty to go back to the bunker and play Robo-Wingman for 6O

Although that is, in all likelihood, a more noble goal, let's be honest.

All we've seen so far indicates YoRHa unit 2 "Emotions are prohibited" B is in no way equipped for that task.

Now, if she could rope Jackass into helping, then we might have something.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Pascal is our nice effeminate uncle who only wants the best for us and I love him. :kimchi:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I love the notion that the war against the machines is this life & death struggle for the androids on the surface, but for the Operator class it's basically The Office with more black leather.

chiasaur11 posted:

Now, if she could rope Jackass into helping, then we might have something.
Jackass' explosion-based courtship rituals are a poor match for a woman who lives in a space station. See ending U for details.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shoehead posted:

Pascal is our nice effeminate uncle who only wants the best for us and I love him. :kimchi:

Shame we'll probably Emil the hell out of that place before long.

"2B, I know they were machines, but-"
"Don't look back."
"I'm just saying, blowing it up after killing their young and then stabbing Pascal in the-"
"DON'T LOOK BACK, NINES."
"You don't have to get-"
"EMOTIONS ARE PROHIBITED, NOW GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR rear end AND START loving HELPING ME!"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Screaming Idiot posted:

Shame we'll probably Emil the hell out of that place before long.

"2B, I know they were machines, but-"
"Don't look back."
"I'm just saying, blowing it up after killing their young and then stabbing Pascal in the-"
"DON'T LOOK BACK, NINES."
"You don't have to get-"
"EMOTIONS ARE PROHIBITED, NOW GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR rear end AND START loving HELPING ME!"

I dunno, 9S seems to be the more stab-happy member of this duo. 2B just doesn't seem to care too much about unnecessary fights. That said, yeah, this village can't be too long for this world.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

YoRHa unit 2 "Emotions are prohibited" B

Nobody but 2B seems to take that rule seriously anyway.

Edited because I wasn't really responding to the statement, just the "emotions are prohibited" rule. If anything makes this game come across as human and realistic it's the corporate feel of the android faction in it.

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 6, 2017

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

McFetusBurger posted:

Nobody but 2B seems to take that rule seriously anyway.

2B is starting to seem like that one person at work who puts notes on the TV and refrigerator in the break-room discussing appropriate volume levels and how long food should be kept before it's thrown away. She doesn't want to tell everyone what to do, but come on guys, the rules are here for a reason and we all need to do our part to ensure they're being followed.

Meanwhile 6O is drawing little hearts on post-its at her desk, and 9S figured some way to use the local wifi to get a Quake tournament running.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

9S figured some way to use the local wifi to get a Quake tournament running.

Maybe between stormfront posts

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

2B is starting to seem like that one person at work who puts notes on the TV and refrigerator in the break-room discussing appropriate volume levels and how long food should be kept before it's thrown away. She doesn't want to tell everyone what to do, but come on guys, the rules are here for a reason and we all need to do our part to ensure they're being followed.

Meanwhile 6O is drawing little hearts on post-its at her desk, and 9S figured some way to use the local wifi to get a Quake tournament running.

So in this sitcom you've written; what's Caim's role?

Visiting District Manager who's demanding an increase in body count?

Edit:

I thought about jackass being a part of maintenance, but then I realized her true calling is IT.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 6, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if emotions are a sign of their programming becoming "Corrupt". 9S being all "BEEP BOOP ROBOTS BAD ANDROIDS GOOD" seems like a fresh install of the program commands, while 9O probably has been chugging away for hundreds of cycles/years/etc.

Maybe the reason that "Emotions Are Prohibited" is that if the reports show irrational emotional responses, you get wiped and reinstalled. Much like a troublesome Windows PC.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

RedMagus posted:

I wonder if emotions are a sign of their programming becoming "Corrupt". 9S being all "BEEP BOOP ROBOTS BAD ANDROIDS GOOD" seems like a fresh install of the program commands, while 9O probably has been chugging away for hundreds of cycles/years/etc.

Maybe the reason that "Emotions Are Prohibited" is that if the reports show irrational emotional responses, you get wiped and reinstalled. Much like a troublesome Windows PC.

None of which explains 6O, who is very, uh, 6O.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Shoehead posted:

He really, really is. His interactions with the little stubbies show it. :kimchi: Such a good uncle.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

6O is the most precious gay teenage robot.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pascal is the best. 6O is also the best. Many of the robots in the village are the best as well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*reads 6O dialogue lines*

Who the gently caress put powerball in charge of our killbot goobers?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ravus Ursus posted:

So in this sitcom you've written; what's Caim's role?

Visiting District Manager who's demanding an increase in body count?

Edit:

I thought about jackass being a part of maintenance, but then I realized her true calling is IT.

Caim's the crazy guy who flew in on a dragon and killed all of the former staff, because Caim is nothing if not consistent.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Was going to get this when it went on sale, but then SE had a promotion on Amazon where you'd get a Rideable Nimbus Cloud in FFXIV, so I decided to go ahead and get on Uncle Taro's Wild Ride.

Loving all the alternate endings. The first one I stumbled on should be coming up soon.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm not gonna lie, DarkId, when I saw this conversation, I thought for a moment they had contracted you to ghostwrite part of this game. This is so one of your italicized conversations it hurts.

If you haven't been wondering if TDI and Yoko Taro are the same person after Nier had Spenser Manor in it, you aren't a true scotsman fan

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Powerball?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

SirPhoebos posted:

Was going to get this when it went on sale, but then SE had a promotion on Amazon where you'd get a Rideable Nimbus Cloud in FFXIV, so I decided to go ahead and get on Uncle Taro's Wild Ride.

Loving all the alternate endings. The first one I stumbled on should be coming up soon.

If you haven't been wondering if TDI and Yoko Taro are the same person after Nier had Spenser Manor in it, you aren't a true scotsman fan

I thought it was established that TDI is the Replicant of Yoko Taro's Gestalt.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

vdate posted:

Powerball?

I believe it's Powerball the forums user. She, for some reason, hung out in the CSPAM Trump thread and posted a lot of those sort of "lonely teenage girl on Facebook" sort of posts about how she wanted a boyfriend.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Maybe emotions aren't prohibited for androids in general, they're just prohibited for 2B specifically. Like, she tried once before and did so badly at emotions that she had her privileges revoked.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The great thing about Simone is her placement in the game's narrative. Nier G/R waited to the end (of the first playthrough) to hit you with "the bad guys were human", so that's no longer a shocker. Nier A gets the idea of the enemy being individuals out the way fairly early...and then brings out a screechy machine with a dick mouth who crucifies androids to be jewelry and audience to remind us that individuals can be complete assholes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just joined the Nier train as well. For those on the fence on getting this for the PS4. If you have a PS plus account you get $18 off which is a decent deal.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SirPhoebos posted:

The great thing about Simone is her placement in the game's narrative. Nier G/R waited to the end (of the first playthrough) to hit you with "the bad guys were human", so that's no longer a shocker. Nier A gets the idea of the enemy being individuals out the way fairly early...and then brings out a screechy machine with a dick mouth who crucifies androids to be jewelry and audience to remind us that individuals can be complete assholes.
Yeah, playing Nier: Automata for the first time, the amusement park and the village really felt like the earliest Taro Yoko's ever tipped his hand. Guess that's part and parcel of being a known entity in the industry nowadays, drawn out of the well of obscurity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chokes McGee posted:

gently caress can't unsee it now

• Locked thread