Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I had 200mg ibuprofen tablets, and I went to a pharmacist for advice about the pain and she told me to double the dose and take 4 three times a day. I did that for 4 days and I'm not taking them now to give my organs a rest. Had a poo every day.

You're right about the weed. It's everywhere. Some people have brought over a pound of it with them. One guy had a glass bong. It's nuts.

Edit: what do people use to upload images these days? Imgur?

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
yeah imgur

I'd probably end up having fun but the amount of people ad the social culture of the AT always turns me off when I hear about it. I think it vastly thins out as you start hitting the mid-atlantic though

And yeah I've heard it's OK to take that much ibuprofen

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

When I was a Corpsman in the Navy not too long ago they told us as long as it wasn't over 2400mg per 24hr it was ok. But then again we gave out 800mg horsepills of ibuprofen at a time. :v:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Aardvark posted:

When I was a Corpsman in the Navy not too long ago they told us as long as it wasn't over 2400mg per 24hr it was ok. But then again we gave out 800mg horsepills of ibuprofen at a time. :v:

I don't think there's much wrong with a day or two at that level. But not sure I'd want to do it continuously.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

yeah imgur

I'd probably end up having fun but the amount of people ad the social culture of the AT always turns me off when I hear about it.

That's actually the only part that really appeals to me. I don't think there is any activity I like enough to do for months straight without a ton of company and partying.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Any seasonal park workers in this thread? The two big concessionaires I have worked for are Aramark and Vail.

This Summer it looks like I may be between working for Xanterra in Crater Lake, or Delaware North in Yellowstone.

Anyone have any experience with those two? I have heard Xanterra called Scamterra by friends, and I get a bad vibe from them.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Delaware North is the company that did concessions for Yosemite for years and when they lost that contract last year proceeded to threaten to sue over the continued use of names like the Ahwahnee Lodge and other well known Yosemite names (they even tried to threaten to sue over the name Yosemite National Park). So Yosemite just stopped using those names while it's being sorted out.

So, I think they're kinda lovely. Their argument is that since they operated the concessions for a long time in those places and claim rights to the trademarked name then they are owed millions of dollars in exchange for the continued use of the names. It's dumb. They might have a legit case I dunno but these concessions companies always seem kinda lovely.

Working for them directly though I know nothing about :)

listrada
Jan 2, 2017
Hey goons I'm heading to Allentown PA for a few days and I've got an extra Saturday all to myself. I feel like I haven't been outside since November - any recommendations for day hikes in that area?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

listrada posted:

Hey goons I'm heading to Allentown PA for a few days and I've got an extra Saturday all to myself. I feel like I haven't been outside since November - any recommendations for day hikes in that area?

Rickett's Glen is a couple hours away, but I recommend it to anyone looking to hike in PA.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
One of the problems with taking Ibuprofen or other pain killers is that they mask pain. :downs: While you're happily ignoring the pain in your right knee, your left knee ends up getting torn to shreds because you aren't paying attention to it. A few days later you're taking pills "for your left knee". Then your right hip. Then your back.

You're probably better off stretching regularly, staying hydrated, and learning to walk and hike without injury.

"Man's got to know his limitations" -- Dirty Harry

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eh, just take it in camp. Taking 800mg helps reduce inflammation which is a good thing for healing. I tend to not take it while exercising anyways since I read once upon a time that it's hard on your stomach at the same time that exercise is also being hard on your stomach

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well my knee is feeling much better. Gonna risk it and set off tomorrow, only doing 4 miles. I'll just do low miles for now and see how it goes. Glad it's not my meniscus. That crazy lady can gently caress right off.

The ibuprofen didn't really help with the pain. The thing that helped most was that sweet sacred herb. I took it mainly for the inflammation.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I have found a single ibuprofen and single tylenol work better than a larger dose of ibuprofen. I read somewhere that this is more effective than just one. Give it a shot.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Overnight in the Olympics. I guess it only got down to the mid to high 30s. I wore my medium thermals, put my solid foam pad underneath my inflatable, and threw a hand warmer down by my feet. Ugh I even wore a hat.

It's getting a little better, but I just think it's a matter of familiarity. There's always a sweat layer building up between the bag and pad. Skin is always clammy in places, which is uncomfortable​. The hat helped avoid too much moisture around the face. My core temperature was fine, but a few spots misbehaved. The three season tent is probably not holding in heat very well. The heat pack was most helpful.

I was seriously considering all night vipassana. :clint:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

I have found a single ibuprofen and single tylenol work better than a larger dose of ibuprofen. I read somewhere that this is more effective than just one. Give it a shot.

That may be true, but I wouldn't rely on Tylenol for anything more than an occasional use, that stuff wrecks havoc on your liver in any sort of quantity.

Good luck Alan! Just take it easy and let your body get accustomed to the miles, no need to rush things now. I look forward to your photos! Just out of curiosity, how are you charging your phone? Battery packs? Solar? Only occasionally at Hostels?

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

What do y'all put in your first aid kits?

Don't forget stuff like a tick key, tweezers, and a pair of nail clippers. There's a section on first aid in the Gear Thread with some different perspectives that might be helpful.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Question about Zion. You can drive in Zion, but parking is bitch from what I can tell, but I am a early morning person when it comes to getting in a park. I do see a shuttle runs from the Zion Visitor Center starting at 7am to the rest of the park. What is the best way to avoid parking and getting around Zion headaches? Get there super early and use your own car, shuttle it from the visitor center, or shuttle it from Springdale? I am also concerned about car break-ins and such, so safer the area the better. Any advice is always appreciated and will make our stay more enjoyable.

Alan_Shore posted:

Well my knee is feeling much better. Gonna risk it and set off tomorrow, only doing 4 miles. I'll just do low miles for now and see how it goes. Glad it's not my meniscus. That crazy lady can gently caress right off.

The ibuprofen didn't really help with the pain. The thing that helped most was that sweet sacred herb. I took it mainly for the inflammation.

It looks like I might miss you in the Smokies, because I am leaving for my trip out west the first of next weke. I hate to hear your knee has been giving you issue, and I hope the low mile days help.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
When I was in Zion a year ago, you could only drive to a certain point (parking lot) and then you had to take a shuttle. We stayed in town and took a shuttle from there and transferred to the park shuttle.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

One of the problems with taking Ibuprofen or other pain killers is that they mask pain.

I'd be more worried about this than the risk to your kidneys - I've seen a couple people end up worse off after doing this in other physically demanding situations. After my wife gave birth the docs recommended a tylenol and advil because it takes the edge off pain without deadening it, reduces swelling that causes discomfort, and is easier to process since they're metabolized by different organs. With the disclaimer that everybody's different and this is one goon's unquantifiable opinion.

quote:

first aid kid

Mine contains:

Haemostatic gauze
tweezers
Tick Key
Liquid bandage (this replaced all my bandaids antiseptic pads because it does both and is versatile)
Butterfly strips
Athletic tape
A few q-tips
Unlubricated condom (trail nookie emergency water transport/purification, can be used to hold dressing over a limb)
Non-stick pads with adhesive tabs
Sting/burn relive wipes
Pepto-bismol tabs
Allegra
Ibuprofen
Electrolyte tabs

Multi-purpose things that aren't part of the first aid kit per se:

nitrile gloves (can be cut up to secure dressings/bandages)
ziploc bags (puncture wounds)
bandana (non-sterile bandage)
clean sport cap for water bottle (debridement)
mylar blanket

I stopped carrying a tourniquet because it could be improvised if really needed. I'll eventually add some immodium and benadryl for their fast action, and acetaminophen when I stop being lazy. Overall weight of the first aid kid stuff in a ziploc freezer bag is 5.7 oz for those who care about that sort of stuff. I recently discovered that a guy I work with is a wilderness first aid instructor, so I'll try to barter for a discount since knowing poo poo is usually more valuable than having poo poo.

Thanks for the excuse to dig through my gear :downs:

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Overnight in the Olympics.

Nice, where? I usually spend the winter and spring bushwhacking around the west side but this year was too rainy for me to get motivated to drive out there. I should have taken advantage of the Elwha and Graves Creek roads being open before they wash out again.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Question about Zion. You can drive in Zion, but parking is bitch from what I can tell, but I am a early morning person when it comes to getting in a park. I do see a shuttle runs from the Zion Visitor Center starting at 7am to the rest of the park. What is the best way to avoid parking and getting around Zion headaches? Get there super early and use your own car, shuttle it from the visitor center, or shuttle it from Springdale? I am also concerned about car break-ins and such, so safer the area the better. Any advice is always appreciated and will make our stay more enjoyable.

It looks like I might miss you in the Smokies, because I am leaving for my trip out west the first of next weke. I hate to hear your knee has been giving you issue, and I hope the low mile days help.

Most of the road up into Zion is closed to traffic spring-summer-fall, so the only way to get to see it is through th shuttle. We were there early last month, and there was about a 35-45 minute wait at the visitor center to get on a bus. There is very limited parking in the park, but there is also a shuttle bus that runs from the town just outside the gate. The park itself is pretty incredible, though when we were there the narrows were closed because of the water level, so we didn't get a chance to explore too far up that way.
Definitely going back for the angels rest hike when it isn't quite as packed.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
OK Thanks. I guess I will try the shuttle from Springdale.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Good luck Alan! Just take it easy and let your body get accustomed to the miles, no need to rush things now. I look forward to your photos! Just out of curiosity, how are you charging your phone? Battery packs? Solar? Only occasionally at Hostels?

Hey! My battery is lasting a while cos I've turned everything off and using an app called Pixoff which really maximizes my battery. But I've got an Anker candy bar charger which gives me two full charges. Haven't run out of battery yet!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Alan_Shore posted:

Hey! My battery is lasting a while cos I've turned everything off and using an app called Pixoff which really maximizes my battery. But I've got an Anker candy bar charger which gives me two full charges. Haven't run out of battery yet!

How far are you for Fontana Dam? That climb from Fontana up to Clingman's I've always heard is the first really tough part of the AT. It is almost a 5000 foot climb.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I am currently in the park and I haven't had any trouble parking at the visitor center and riding the shuttle up the canyon (prior to 830a). You can park wherever​ along 9, though, only when it splits off at Canyon Junction is where you need the shuttle. It's pretty deserted any other area of the park, parking not an issue.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Officer Sandvich posted:

Nice, where? I usually spend the winter and spring bushwhacking around the west side but this year was too rainy for me to get motivated to drive out there. I should have taken advantage of the Elwha and Graves Creek roads being open before they wash out again.
Buddy and I decided to just do Quilcene. Reports suggested ice on the upper/Big trail, so we stuck to the lower river. After hanging around in the afternoon rain teaching him knots, I was cold so we took a quick jaunt up the trail; realizing it was so close at the speed I move, we went to the upper parking lot and found no snow, but we didn't have our packs with us so we didn't go to the 2.6mi campsite.

We'll probably do Hoh to Blue Glacier when it's open, but this was a good choice this weekend. He's wanted to use his new tent and toys and I've needed to relearn how to sleep outside.

Building a fire with completely saturated wood was fun. Sucks that, when I got back to camp in the early evening, he had the tinder below the fire starter he wanted to try, and that all that was sitting on top of 4" of wet wood. :downsrim:

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
People building fires in the wrong order is one of my pet peeves. I hope you gave him a stern talking to.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hanging out in Erwin, TN at Miss Janet's house. Mega upset that the KFC buffet is gone since January. Find her on the class of 2017 Facebook. she is a trail goddess. She will "kidnap" you and host you at her place with all sorts of good stuff. Also if you read the shelter journals our entries are the from "The Scavengers" Pioneer and Cha-ching. AT is cool. The girlfriend and I have spent a grand total of $200 in the first month. Still having a great time. Ok bye.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 10, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hanging out in Erwin, TN at Miss Janet's house. Mega upset that the KFC buffet is gone since January. Find her on the class of 2017 Facebook. she is a trail goddess. She will "kidnap" you and host you at her place with all sorts of good stuff. Also if you read the shelter journals our entries are the from "The Scavengers" Pioneer and Cha-ching. AT is cool. The girlfriend and I have spent a grand total of $200 in the first month. Still having a great time. Ok bye.

You are in my old hiking grounds (I use to live in Johnson City). Enjoy the upcoming balds of Roan Mountain. That section is one of the my favorite hikes in the Tennessee/North Carolina area.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

theroachman posted:

People building fires in the wrong order is one of my pet peeves. I hope you gave him a stern talking to.
I will conduct a little "let's review what we've learned" session, hopefully this weekend. I loaded him up with basic knots. Sheesh am I out of practice, it took me way too long to remember how to tie a bowline on a coil for fraps sake. The hardest for him was the butterfly loop iirc.

I think the best lesson was when he finally realized that, as I had pointed out, all the coals were 6" beneath the spot the started the fire, so indeed all the wet wood overhead was too far away to do any good. We saved it, but not before smoking out the river basin.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm considering getting a down sleeping bag. I am not opposed to spending a million dollars, though I'd be happier to spend less. I want something that will last me a while and being reasonably compact would be nice, but I'm assuming most down bags will be more compact than my current synthetic one. What do you guys recommend?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Kelty Cosmic Down 20 has generally been considered a good low cost down bag. It's not actually going to be comfortable down to 20 degrees but mid 30's might be a comfortable range depending on how warm you sleep. It's pretty cheap, pretty light...main thing really is just that it's not going to be as warm as a real good expensive bag, but if you don't need it to handle below freezing temps it should be good

Real top end brands are like Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and I think some smaller manufacturers like Z-Packs have bags people like quite a bit.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tsyni posted:

I'm considering getting a down sleeping bag. I am not opposed to spending a million dollars, though I'd be happier to spend less. I want something that will last me a while and being reasonably compact would be nice, but I'm assuming most down bags will be more compact than my current synthetic one. What do you guys recommend?

100% depends on what you want to do. Are you mostly doing summer/shoulder season trips? Lots of cheap, lightweight options like the aforementioned Kelty Cosmic Down 20. Quilts are very popular as well, although I'm a restless sleeper and don't totally love mine.

The bag that will keep you warm and toasty on a sub zero night is going to be way too hot and bulky for a warm summer night in the Sierras, and vice versa.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

cheese posted:

100% depends on what you want to do. Are you mostly doing summer/shoulder season trips? Lots of cheap, lightweight options like the aforementioned Kelty Cosmic Down 20. Quilts are very popular as well, although I'm a restless sleeper and don't totally love mine.

The bag that will keep you warm and toasty on a sub zero night is going to be way too hot and bulky for a warm summer night in the Sierras, and vice versa.

Yeah, I feel you. I have a synthetic bag that I can use when it's warmer. I'd like something that I can use around zero degrees C if I have to. I'm in Canada, so in Fall it can get chillier. I really have trouble wrapping my head around quilts. I guess lots of people must use them but I've always assumed they are hiking in California or Arizona or in a hammock. I was considering the kelty, but does it compress down pretty good?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It's s lower fill bag so it won't compress as well as a higher but should be better than synthetic

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Took my new boots, Salomon Quest 2 gtx, for their first big hike. So far so good. Waterproofing held up as I sloshed thru running water and melted snow (near Tahoe in desolation wilderness) all day. Very comfy and lightweight for boots

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Went hiking around some of the Australian alpine region near Mt Baw Baw over the weekend, was a good time. Lots of snowy gums and bog land.

Did spend a good portion of the walk on a section of trail that was apparently meant to be closed of, which was really overgrown with some spikey plants. Tore my legs up a little bit, may invest in some gaiters?

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 15, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are those cra(e)pe myrtles?

They have the most beautiful bark and I have no idea why we butcher them as landscape plants.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Tsyni posted:

I carry the REI Igneo on mountaineering trips. It's $150, 20 degree rated, and packs down super small. Combined with a bag liner and decent thermal pad, it's really all you could need as I see it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for all of those who gave me tips a few months ago about Glacier. Thankfully with your feedback and some rescheduling I was able to secure a 4 night itinerary for the Nyack Creek loop in September! Super excited to go. Plan on doing the loop in 3-4 days and then spending the rest of the week doing some shorter out and back day hikes. Any recommendations on fun lodges or hotels in the area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Summit Mountain Lodge on Route 2 is the best food around and a fantastic deal. Proper steakhouse stuff. Glacier Grill and Pizza in Columbia Falls is my go to on that side.