Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tryke posted:

I test drove the GTI yesterday and a Focus ST today. I like the GTI more, but god drat Ford must be aching to move some cars. With manufacturer incentives they quoted me an ST at $18,544 before tax/fees ($21,067 out-the-door in MD).

I like the GTI more, but do I like it $6,000 more?

six grand is like a third of the cost of the Focus

I mean if you're making $100k+ it's probably not a big deal to you but that is quite a bit of money off of a depreciating asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Tryke posted:

I test drove the GTI yesterday and a Focus ST today. I like the GTI more, but god drat Ford must be aching to move some cars. With manufacturer incentives they quoted me an ST at $18,544 before tax/fees ($21,067 out-the-door in MD).

I like the GTI more, but do I like it $6,000 more?

drat what equipment package was that? Pretty good deal regardless.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ford is going though a major slump right now, they've already cut production twice but if you keep your eyes out you will likely be able to get some insane deals in 2017.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

drat what equipment package was that? Pretty good deal regardless.

Just the base ST, and I'm comparing to the GTI Sport so it's not quite apples-to-apples.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

six grand is like a third of the cost of the Focus

I mean if you're making $100k+ it's probably not a big deal to you but that is quite a bit of money off of a depreciating asset.

Oh, this is absolutely #firstworldproblems. The GTI is within budget but I do like saving money.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tryke posted:

Just the base ST, and I'm comparing to the GTI Sport so it's not quite apples-to-apples.

Good news is that the mechanicals don't change in any of the equipment packages in the ST. ST2 is partial leather Recaro seats and the MyFordTouch screen/system, ST3 adds full leather heated Recaro seats.

Recaros are pretty divisive; they're pretty aggressively bolstered and some people find them pretty uncomfortable. You can always swap them in later if you really want to though and in the ST1 base package you don't have to deal with that drat touchscreen.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

For me, the choice between a Focus and a GTI is all in the aesthetics and personal preference.

I love how they both look on the outside but as soon as I sit down in a Ford, I know I don't want to be there. Which drives me crazy, because I want to like that car so much, but I just can't stand the internal design and quality.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'll freely admit that the interior on my Focus ST is trash compared to the GTI and the button layout of the controls and some of the design decisions RE: Ergonomics don't make any sense but thankfully I don't really care about that and interiors kinda melt away for me when I'm driving.

Way better than a trip to The Exposed Beige Plastic Molding Flash Dimension in older cars but the interior quality is a weak point for sure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I prefer everything about the GTI outside the way it drives.

Granted, I haven't driven a PP so that probably makes a difference.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Can't you pull some impressive gains from a simple ECU flash on a GTI?

Also I looked at it this way, you can spend money to make your car drive better performance wise. But you have to spend a good deal more (and harder to do) to make the interior look nice(r). Maybe my decision was a bit biased because I drove a 2012 Ford Focus SE for five years and the ST's interior was literally the exact same.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The interior is good enough, as far as I'm concerned. It's stupid to spend money to try to improve the car's looks (outside maybe wheels) either inside or out. You just have to decide what you prefer.

The problem with the GTI wasn't power, it's just that it doesn't like to be pushed as much. It's a bit lifeless. Too German. I came from a BMW and the drive felt like all of the vices and none of the virtues.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The interior is good enough, as far as I'm concerned. It's stupid to spend money to try to improve the car's looks (outside maybe wheels) either inside or out. You just have to decide what you prefer.

The problem with the GTI wasn't power, it's just that it doesn't like to be pushed as much. It's a bit lifeless. Too German. I came from a BMW and the drive felt like all of the vices and none of the virtues.

The Golf R is the one that likes being pushed. It actually scared me a little, the salesman did things I would've been scared to try in a Mustang. All in an understated hatchback, with a stickshift and AWD. It's exactly what I want in a car (except for the price, which makes me sad).

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

The Golf R is the one that likes being pushed. It actually scared me a little, the salesman did things I would've been scared to try in a Mustang. All in an understated hatchback, with a stickshift and AWD. It's exactly what I want in a car (except for the price, which makes me sad).

Driving my RS around in drift mode really makes me appreciate how good the cup 2 tires are. I feel like having cheaper all seasons on it would be truly dangerous.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

The first good snow we got after getting mine, I did amazingly stupid poo poo in the car to somewhat find its limits. I basically drove it like a FWD car so as to not put myself into a curb, only to find out the car will basically go the direction you point it no matter what with proper tires.

Also, the R has a complete black interior. The white headliner in my TDI always annoyed me. My GLI had a black headliner and now the R is back to black headliner.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

They will get people who are already Ford owners into the dealership and some of them will end up walking out with new cars.

drat, they sure do. I just received another, different, recall. This one for a "Pawl Spring Tab inside one or more of the side door latches"

There is a dealership a town over I actually trust, so I guess I will just schedule all these safety recall fixes with them.

It is weird that I've owned this car since 2013 and have never gotten any safety recalls, now I get two in the same week.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've got the Coldest Hatch of all time: Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.0 Duratec TI-VCT. 80 hp of fury. It sounds kind of cool since it's an NA triple but it's not exactly a NVH superstar. Good below 60km/h, terrible on the motorway.

After reading about it, I'm pretty "impressed" that they made an engine that is worse in every way compared to the 1.25 Zetec that I have in my Fiesta. Worse power, worse torque, worse (real life) fuel consumption...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Installed my FMIC on the FiST. Remind me to never take a bumper cover off without a second person to help.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
My gti windshield got all kinds of cracked last night...anyone know how much it will be to get replaced? Shouldn't go through the dealership should I (it's certified and I only bought it 3 weeks ago)?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The dealer won't replace the glass, they'll outsource it. You should have comprehensive insurance. What's your deductible? It'll be a few hundred to replace out of pocket.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Stratified e30 tune is as legit as advertised. Seeing 25 lbs of boost at peak fang :dogbutton:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Candlelight Virgil posted:

My gti windshield got all kinds of cracked last night...anyone know how much it will be to get replaced? Shouldn't go through the dealership should I (it's certified and I only bought it 3 weeks ago)?

You should always get no deductible glass coverage on your cars for just this reason.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Stratified e30 tune is as legit as advertised. Seeing 25 lbs of boost at peak fang :dogbutton:

Did you get it dynoed after? What do they project it will have power wise?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Did you get it dynoed after? What do they project it will have power wise?

NO dyno yet, its an e-tune. Projected around 215/265 at wheels.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
vw still seems like they're doing crazy deals. the place where i bought mine at is listing gtis at 24k and a hidden 'exclusive if you give us your contact info price' and my saleswoman has called me several times in the last couple of months. im contemplating trading mine for a pp gti. if they offer to pay off my loan (again, lol...they paid off my frs when i traded it 2 years ago), its a no brainer.

i don't think they're budging on golf rs. maybe if i wait until september, they'll deal a little bit. does anyone know what invoice, dealer holdback, etc are on an r?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Google SCCA membership and VW below invoice pricing

vains
May 26, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Google SCCA membership and VW below invoice pricing

my company does vw partner pricing. so golf r invoice is $34229 - $500 = $33729. but i dont think the dealer i used last time will pay off my loan if im getting $7000 off what they're listing them for. they dont seem that desperate to move them.

invoice on a sport is $26875 - $500 = $26825 which is higher than what either sheehy in va or heritage vw in baltimore is listing theirs at(sheehy: $23491, heritage vw $24460). so unless i'm missing something, i dont see much value in the $500 below invoice deal unless they're going to knock another $500 off. im far from an expert at this so....

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

my company does vw partner pricing. so golf r invoice is $34229 - $500 = $33729. but i dont think the dealer i used last time will pay off my loan if im getting $7000 off what they're listing them for. they dont seem that desperate to move them.

invoice on a sport is $26875 - $500 = $26825 which is higher than what either sheehy in va or heritage vw in baltimore is listing theirs at(sheehy: $23491, heritage vw $24460). so unless i'm missing something, i dont see much value in the $500 below invoice deal unless they're going to knock another $500 off. im far from an expert at this so....

The internet list prices probably include incentives you don't qualify for. They like to throw things like military appreciation and recent college grad discounts in to get the lowest number they can.

vains
May 26, 2004

heritage

sheehy

the 'sheehy easy price' on a 6speed is $22495

the sheehy easy price sounds like a legit price. heritage vw listing employee price seems like a stupid thing to post unless they can sell cars at that price. i'd walk out if they told me that they can't do a deal remotely close to the price they listed for whatever reason.

im not going to lie, i dont understand if these are legit prices or not. are they both just scams to generate leads/get me in the door? if they're not legit prices, then i dont want to contact a dealer and get 10 phone calls a week for the next 2 months.

vains fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 7, 2017

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I've mentioned it before, I think in this thread too, the DC area VW prices are legit. I bought my GTI from Lindsay VW and the only discount I didn't qualify for was the recent grad discount but I wasn't going to stomp my feet over $500 when they were several thousand less than anything in my area.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Sheehy price is usually very good, but it's about 1,200 to 1,500 higher once you factor in freight and a dealer fee, which they do not include in the online price. They're good about giving you a legit OTD price though once you tell them what incentives you'll qualify for.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
I pulled the trigger on a GTI (sport, manual) at Stohlman in NoVA. They quoted $22,999 with a couple caveats. Their dealer fee is $699 (MD is capped at $299), and the price was only good if I financed the whole thing with VW standard financing at 4%. All told it was about $26.3k out-the-door.

About $1,000 less than my previous quote. Normally they'd make it all back and then some in interest, but I'm gonna re-finance with the credit union in a few months after the dealer gets their kickback for selling the loan.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

NO dyno yet, its an e-tune. Projected around 215/265 at wheels.

That must be a blast! My VT is similar power but your car is lighter/smaller so can only imagine. Once I get my LSD in and some money for rods, pistons, and studs maybe I can push to 300whp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

After reading about it, I'm pretty "impressed" that they made an engine that is worse in every way compared to the 1.25 Zetec that I have in my Fiesta. Worse power, worse torque, worse (real life) fuel consumption...

is the real world fuel economy actually worse?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If you can definitely buy from the Northern VA area. Picked up a '17 GTI SE Manual + monster mats + roadside assistance kit
MSRP: $32,030
Paid: $25,599.17 + TTL + Docs + Delivery (no incentives, womp womp)
Total OTD: $27,456.25

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

That must be a blast! My VT is similar power but your car is lighter/smaller so can only imagine. Once I get my LSD in and some money for rods, pistons, and studs maybe I can push to 300whp

It is indeed really fun. This tune is incredible, barely any ignition corrections whatsoever, pulls super smooth. The car really seems to like dat corn.

Without a turbo swap, this is where the gains seem to plateau though.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That big update for the Cobb AP is pretty nice. I either need to start reading, or just fiddle with the settings until I figure them out. It was part of the previous updates, but Flat foot shifting is pretty slick.

I am kind of surprised they now allow just anyone with an AP alone (access tuner not needed) , to adjust the rpm redline to 10k rpms lol. Why would they let it be adjusted above the 7-7.5k range? If you can handle more than that I figure you already getting a custom tune. 10k rpms would have to require some serious internal upgrades, right?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 8, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Regardless of tune, there are mechanical limits to rpm and I assume some dummies are going to blow up motors figuring that out the hard way.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Unless I'm mistaken, v500 of the Cobb tune for STs is only for Accessport v3s, meaning my v2 is officially end-of-life.

Stupid thing is, the v2 can load the tunes, but it refuses to flash the tune to the car. Seems pretty dumb to lock out old users, but eh, getting more money feels too good for them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bobfather posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, v500 of the Cobb tune for STs is only for Accessport v3s, meaning my v2 is officially end-of-life.

Stupid thing is, the v2 can load the tunes, but it refuses to flash the tune to the car. Seems pretty dumb to lock out old users, but eh, getting more money feels too good for them.

I think it's because the v500 tunes add a lot of options controlled from the AP. The APv2 may not be able to handle that, either on a hardware level or just they don't want to bother developing new software on the old platform to support it.

You could always do the upgrade program, when you buy a V3 from Cobb on a vehicle that had the V2 available they have an option to send in your V2 for a 50% refund of the V3 purchase price.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Eh, I have some FSWerks tunes that are leagues ahead of Cobbs OTS tunes that still program fine using an ap2. It's really no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Anyone have any opinions/suggestions regarding plastic trim panel removal tools or are they all mostly the same thing? Preferably something from Amazon so I can have it here by the weekend.

Just got in my FRPP short shifter and installing it this weekend will involve removing quite a bit of the center console section/trim panels and I don't really want to scratch up everything prying with screwdrivers.