Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

I still dont understand people who actually keep the sound on when playing video games

it seems pretty easy to understand to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

I still dont understand people who actually keep the sound on when playing video games

Because we can't smell the game carts and get anything discernible from them, and only the Switch carts have any sort of taste component to the games. :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zore posted:

Even if you're weird about game bgm for whatever reason sound design is a pretty big part of a lot of games for tells and stuff

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i know someone who played through the first phoenix wright with the sound off

they're a monster

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yeah, they should've waited till later.

*plays the same ten-second snippet of concert footage for the 500th time*

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zore posted:

Would you say this about a movie and just watch it with subtitles?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nate RFB posted:

Even if you believe BS had better writing/characters/whatever (something I will dispute all the way to my deathbed, but whatever), the music in BS is so much worse than BD that this is a trade off I am not willing to make. If the roles were reversed and BS had BD's music but otherwise everything else was the same my opinion of the two might very well swap with them.

After really disliking the music in those youtubes up above I decided to listen to some of the BS music. Much much better. So, if you like hard rock/heavy metal type OSTs, then you will prefer one, if you prefer other sorts of stuff #2 would be better. No right answer, just a preference for genre.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

After really disliking the music in those youtubes up above I decided to listen to some of the BS music. Much much better. So, if you like hard rock/heavy metal type OSTs, then you will prefer one, if you prefer other sorts of stuff #2 would be better. No right answer, just a preference for genre.

You are literally the only person I have ever seen that prefers the BS music to the music in BD.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I played bravely second when it came out and I still don't get the gravy thing, please explain

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I played bravely second when it came out and I still don't get the gravy thing, please explain

it's a joke

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Good Gravy, look at this joke getter.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zore posted:

I bet you post with your eyes open

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

You guys could rag on Bravely Second's music all you want, but if you're going to tell me Kaiser Oblivion's theme isn't aces as gently caress, I think we're gonna have a problem here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I61JsRvMYv4

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think this is quite nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP8HY95MHBE

But arguing over video game music is kind of pathetic. One of these days I'll get around to playing the bravelys and I will make sure to turn the sound off.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would you say this about a movie and just watch it with subtitles?

Movies don't tend to have you listening to a small selection of looping music for 10-80 hours.

Like how does that poo poo not drive people nuts? 'Another random encounter, guess I'll hear the beginning of this loving song for the hundreth time this hour'

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Like how does that poo poo not drive people nuts?

i've never been annoyed at hearing background music, so the only answer i can come up with is that it doesn't because it doesn't

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LightningKimba posted:

You guys could rag on Bravely Second's music all you want, but if you're going to tell me Kaiser Oblivion's theme isn't aces as gently caress, I think we're gonna have a problem here.

That's some Ys sounding poo poo, good stuff

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zore posted:

Movies don't tend to have you listening to a small selection of looping music for 10-80 hours.

Like how does that poo poo not drive people nuts? 'Another random encounter, guess I'll hear the beginning of this loving song for the hundreth time this hour'

I finished 100 hours of Persona 5 the other day and now I keep looking up the music on youtube

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zore posted:

Good game music doesn't have that issue for me.

Doesn't Koji Kondo literally loop his compositions for hours after he finishes something just to see if it gets annoying?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
People like to listen to music because it is good and listening to good music is enjoyable. Hope this helps

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

People like to listen to music because it is good and listening to good music is enjoyable. Hope this helps

Not when its the same thing over and over though.

That's boring as gently caress.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

the day I hear a song twice is the day I die

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zore posted:

Not when its the same thing over and over though.

That's boring as gently caress.

You are still thinking of bad music.

e: Here's another point: there's lots of music in video games that you don't hear over and over. Songs only used in a cutscene, or a boss battle (provided you aren't dying to it over and over.) Songs used in areas that you only go to once, or a few times. Music is large part of the experience of most games, and it's kind of saddening to hear that someone would keep the entire thing on mute and never want to listen to it at all.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 6, 2017

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Zore posted:

:goonsay:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Hot take: someone is allowed to not listen to game music

It's sad that they're missing out on some good poo poo, but if listening to a song loop drives them insane, it's their right :shrug: It's just a very, very unorthodox opinion

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Good game music doesn't have that issue for me.

Doesn't Koji Kondo literally loop his compositions for hours after he finishes something just to see if it gets annoying?

X2 was awful about this. Its songs were like thirty seconds long and would loop endlessly in the inappropriately big areas

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Calaveron posted:

X2 was awful about this. Its songs were like thirty seconds long and would loop endlessly in the inappropriately big areas

Some short, looping songs are pretty good. Pleasure of Tension for the Sega CD Snatcher is short but I can listen to it for hours.

DQ8 has pretty disappointing music on the 3DS. I'm playing it on the PS2 while my girlfriend plays it on the 3DS and the music is pretty poor quality in comparison.

Most 3DS games sound much better with headphones compared to the garbage speakers, I think.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bloodplay it again posted:

Some short, looping songs are pretty good. Pleasure of Tension for the Sega CD Snatcher is short but I can listen to it for hours.

DQ8 has pretty disappointing music on the 3DS. I'm playing it on the PS2 while my girlfriend plays it on the 3DS and the music is pretty poor quality in comparison.

Most 3DS games sound much better with headphones compared to the garbage speakers, I think.

That difference is because the 3DS version had the orchestral soundtrack replaced with the mediocre as hell MIDI soundtrack because the composer is insane though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bloodplay it again posted:

Yeah, Pleasure of Tension is fantastic
https://youtu.be/MRQsJnXv7j4
This is horseshit though and it plays in some pretty long dungeons with no respite

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Waltzing Along posted:

After really disliking the music in those youtubes up above I decided to listen to some of the BS music. Much much better.

waltzing along'd again

LightningKimba posted:

that's like the only dope song in the game but luckily enough it's extremely dope

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Did the BD soundtrack never release in English? I can't see even the staunch translation-must-be-one-to-one assholes defending "Serpent Eating the Ground."

E: Which, I assume, should be more like "The Serpent Devouring the Horizon/Firmament" given what the final boss is.

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 7, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scratch-O posted:

Did the BD soundtrack never release in English? I can't see even the staunch translation-must-be-one-to-one assholes defending "Serpent Eating the Ground."

Kinda. The Collector's Edition has a ten-song sampler soundtrack.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, Pleasure of Tension is fantastic
https://youtu.be/MRQsJnXv7j4
This is horseshit though and it plays in some pretty long dungeons with no respite

I clicked on that thinking it was Pleasure of Tension. :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I think this is quite nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP8HY95MHBE

But arguing over video game music is kind of pathetic. One of these days I'll get around to playing the bravelys and I will make sure to turn the sound off.

woah, edgy

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The last case in Spirit of Justice has a neat twist but it's such a painful slog, with all the flashbacks and loading screens, I don't even want to touch the DLC.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Touch the DLC, it's good!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DLC is one of the best cases in the series.

E: oh wait I confused it with Dual Destinies

I never played the SoJ DLC, time to get on that!

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 7, 2017

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Ace attorney advice needed, I am trying to play all the games in order, loved the trilogy and am on Apollo justice but I'm just not feeling it. I'm not liking the new characters and miss the old ones, I bought it for my phone as the DS cart was expensive and I just don't enjoy the interface as much. It's just feeling like hard work.....is it going to get more enjoyable?

I am on the case with the murder at the rock concert, on the final trial part if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I can't speak to the phone version but sounds like you're coming out the other side of the worst case of the worst game of the regular AA series.