Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, Chuck was Lenny on Laverne and Shirley

I knew I'd seen him in Christopher Guest movies before but never made the connection to Lenny.

He was also that Australian guy from Dream On. You know, that show you'd watch when you were 13 in the hope of seeing some titties. :allears:

Then you realize you're watching it in syndication, on a 'clean' network, and you'd switch it to something else.

Edit: Gibby Fiske.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

…much to the chagrin of the natives.

I've seen a couple of little features on that town with the radio silence (which, for those who haven't watched the video, is because there's an extremely sensitive radio observatory in the area) and I've always wondered what all the PhD scientists and engineers who work there think of the "no, I can totally feel the wifi in my bones, it burns me like fire" crowd.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a texan, their spanish is funny. I'm not fluent enough to tell whether it's "bad" exactly but they sure seem to be doing cartoony villain voices.

I've heard a lot of Spanish in my life and they kinda just sound like non-native speakers: really slow and deliberate. The pronunciations are decent, but again, seem very slow and practiced but at the same time emphasized weirdly.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Grey Matter aside, there was a point where Walt had enough money to pay for cancer treatment, plus college for both kids, plus a nice cash nest egg for retirement.

That moment (regardless of what actions Walt had taken at that point) was when Walt broke bad IMHO.

Yeah, I believe that's right after the first big sale to Gus right, or right around then? He didn't quite have his ideal number but even giving Jesse his half he still had a fat cash pile, and Skyler still hadn't been told what was up though she certainly had suspicions. That was really the last chance he had to quit and still keep it a secret from the family. He has lots of opportunities to make a clean break, and the money he has on the table keeps getting higher and higher each time, but his hubris makes for a fine show.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

some guy on the bus posted:

But the show doesn't end there. He does die with a smile on his face after finding a way to get money to his family, saving Jesse, and admitting to Skyler that he did it all because he liked it, he was good at it, and he was alive.

This is the part a lot of people miss. Even Vince Gilligan, the biggest proponent of the idea that the Breaking Bad universe is one where karmic repercussions reign supreme, has admitted (I believe, I at least remember reading this in a lot of interviews at the time) that Walt's is arguably a happy ending where he gets what he wants. I think this may still be in keeping with the themes of the show, though. At this point, Walt has come to terms with why he was really doing these things and is on a mission of quite justified revenge. And then, at the last moment, he spares Jesse out of genuine love and pity, at the cost of his own life. Maybe, in some way, he almost balances out his negative karma with those final actions. I mean, he killed a bunch of Nazis. That's got to count for a lot, right? (Not really. I still maintain that the show is morally agnostic in spite of it all.)

At the very least, Breaking Bad is not a show where an unrepentant villain gets his just deserts. It's more complex than that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Can confirm, killing nazis counts for a lot of positive karma.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Can confirm, killing nazis counts for a lot of positive karma.

Enough to make up for poisoning a child? Hmm, actually, yeah, that checks out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They're nazis that Walt paid and hired, who killed Hank and Gomie because of Walt's actions, and Walt had no issue with them taking and torturing Jesse. He only killed them to try and clear his own conscience and to massage his own ego because they were making his product.

So I believe you will find that both Walt and Nazis are bad and do not count for positive karma.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cnut the Great posted:

Enough to make up for poisoning a child? Hmm, actually, yeah, that checks out.

It had to be done. It was the lives of his family vs a child being temporarily sick.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're nazis that Walt paid and hired, who killed Hank and Gomie because of Walt's actions,

Actually because of Jesse. How was Walt to know that Hank and Gomie were with Jesse when he called the nazis to come?

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 6, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Walt's a regular B.J. Whitowicz. :clint:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

some guy on the bus posted:

It had to be done. It was the lives of his family vs a child being temporarily sick.

Actually because of Jesse. How was Walt to know that Hank and Gomie were with Jesse when he called the nazis to come?

If only Walt could have somehow, at some point, avoided putting himself in the situation where he has to hire nazis and poison a child. Alas, it happens to all of us.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's not like they were the SS running Aushwitz. They were just a biker gang kind of thing. A white version of Krazy 8 and Tucos gang in the earlier season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

drunken officeparty posted:

It's not like they were the SS running Aushwitz. They were just a biker gang kind of thing. A white version of Krazy 8 and Tucos gang in the earlier season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Nations
Not exactly Boy Scouts either

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
I think they're supposed to be the Aryan Brotherhood prison gang, not the Aryan Nations: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Brotherhood
Hence why they had a bunch of guys ready to brutally murder all of Mike's men across multiple (?) prisons.

Edit: Hahaha, they're apparently affiliated with Juggalos.

Stahlgeist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 6, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're nazis that Walt paid and hired, who killed Hank and Gomie because of Walt's actions, and Walt had no issue with them taking and torturing Jesse. He only killed them to try and clear his own conscience and to massage his own ego because they were making his product.

So I believe you will find that both Walt and Nazis are bad and do not count for positive karma.

He killed them to clear his own conscience, of course. But it had nothing to do with massaging his ego anymore at that point. He was out for revenge for the death of Hank. He no longer even cared about the rest of the money they took from him. As with many other people, I fear your overwhelming hatred for the Walter White character may have blinded you to some pretty pivotal character shifts that happened in those final two episodes. The people who have the biggest misconceptions of what goes on in these shows always seem to be those who derive their enjoyment primarily from their seething, self-righteous, simplistic hatred of what are actually pretty three-dimensional anti-villain characters like Walter White and Chuck McGill. (It's almost the other side of the coin as that subset of fans who watch the show rooting unreservedly for Walt while possessing a pathological hatred for Skyler.)

It's true that he was okay with them taking and torturing Jesse because he was distraught over Hank's death and the loss of his vast fortune, both of which he irrationally blamed on Jesse and his "betrayal" of their partnership--but this was prior to his hellish exile in the New Hampshire wilderness and the resultant introspection that spurs his more self-aware quest to rectify his pride-fueled mistakes. When he arrives in Albuquerque again, he believes that Jesse has started willingly working with the Nazis. He doesn't realize the truth of the situation until Jesse is brought to him in the compound, at which point he's moved by love and pity and decides to shield Jesse with his own body as one of his final acts. He doesn't stop being Heisenberg, but he does become a more anti-heroic, synthesized Heisenberg who's more in tune with his own motivations and desires. He achieves at least a partial redemption, in the sense that he becomes a more Mike-like character: a criminal and a murderer and a bad dude, but one who at least knows exactly who and what he is and how to make the best of it in the world he's chosen to live in.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 6, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Walter White was bald and worked with Nazis.

Then he had hair and killed Nazis.

~*~*makes u think*~*~

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cnut the Great posted:

He killed them to clear his own conscience, of course. But it had nothing to do with massaging his ego anymore at that point. He was out for revenge for the death of Hank. He no longer even cared about the rest of the money they took from him. As with many other people, I fear your overwhelming hatred for the Walter White character may have blinded you to some pretty pivotal character shifts that happened in those final two episodes. The people who have the biggest misconceptions of what goes on in these shows always seem to be those who derive their enjoyment primarily from their seething, self-righteous, simplistic hatred of what are actually pretty three-dimensional anti-villain characters like Walter White and Chuck McGill. (It's almost the other side of the coin as that subset of fans who watch the show rooting unreservedly for Walt while possessing a pathological hatred for Skyler.)

gently caress off back to CineD with this kind of condescending holier-than-thou bullshit, Cnut. I never said I hated Walt.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Walter White Was Never Bad :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really hope that Vince, Gould, and co. already have an ending game plan for BCS. With BB, they said all the time that they were turning Mr Chips into Scarface, but what would the idea for Saul be? It's not as interesting simply explaining the lead-up to him showing up in BB; there's gotta be a hook for the post-BB/Gene part of his life.

Really, it's an area that they have relative carte-(noir and)-blanche. Everything before has to connect up to BB, but Gene's a wildcard.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Walter White Was Never Bad :colbert:

I remember when the Breaking Bad thread would literally try to call out and shame people for liking a TV show character.:lol:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pollos chat: their menu seems to include Pollos by the Bucket, Chicken Specialties, New Mexico Specialties, Burgers, Pollos Breakfast, Pollos Burritos, Pollos Platters, and Little Pollitos. Kinda reminds me of a whataburger but chicken-themed, or a local mexican joint. I was trying to read the blurry in-store menu over the past episode on a rewatch. I think I spied Jimmy's Pollos Classic breakfast, a green chile burger, and a vegetarian breakfast burrito, also the fried chicken comes original or caliente. Inventing an entire fictional fast food menu seems pretty drat amusing for the writers or whoever designed it. It'd be fun to see that set. I love the fat guy ordering a 12 piece and a jumbo fry while Hector goes all cartel.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 6, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a chain in California that is basically Los Pollos Hermanos. I walk by it on the way to the bus stop from work sometimes in San Diego. I think it's called "Crazy Chicken"?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

precision posted:

There's a chain in California that is basically Los Pollos Hermanos. I walk by it on the way to the bus stop from work sometimes in San Diego. I think it's called "Crazy Chicken"?

El Pollo Loco, yeah

Edit: what up San Diego buddy

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

'El Pollo Loco'

The main thing I recall from eating there is that meat cleavers were brandished freely in the preparation of the meals (to quarter the whole chickens).

Hermans Chicken is pretty tame by comparison. Even Hector would be a little wary of taking a kitchen full of cleaver samurai hostage.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So her eyes a little droopy and she work at el pollo loco

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If only Walt could have somehow, at some point, avoided putting himself in the situation where he has to hire nazis and poison a child. Alas, it happens to all of us.

If he hadn't it'd have been a loving miserable show about some loser dying of lung cancer.

Sounds real loving interesting.

Walt did nothing wrong.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I kinda wonder what would have been if they went with a Breaking Bad sequel instead of prequel. It'd be interesting to see what they would have come up with working under the restriction of almost everyone being dead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gene gets prostate cancer and starts a grow-op in a corn field to pay for treatment.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 7, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really hope that Vince, Gould, and co. already have an ending game plan for BCS. With BB, they said all the time that they were turning Mr Chips into Scarface, but what would the idea for Saul be? It's not as interesting simply explaining the lead-up to him showing up in BB; there's gotta be a hook for the post-BB/Gene part of his life.

Really, it's an area that they have relative carte-(noir and)-blanche. Everything before has to connect up to BB, but Gene's a wildcard.

Chances are they don't. I was relistening to some of the Breaking Bad podcasts. When they did the Season 5 flashforwards of Walt getting a machine gun and getting ricin, they didn't even know what either of those things would be used on. They love winging it. And they're pretty good at it or at least they were for BB.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jfood posted:

If he hadn't it'd have been a loving miserable show about some loser dying of lung cancer.

Walt did nothing wrong.

Nah, the nazis only came in after season 4.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Gene gets prostate cancer and starts a grow-up in a corn field to pay for treatment.

No joke, my high school in Omaha had cornfields on three sides.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jfood posted:

Walt did nothing wrong.
That's basically the plot of Ikiru and that movie is dope as gently caress. :colbert:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, the nazis only came in after season 4.

He called the nazis because Jesse was trying to burn 80 million dollars. Before that, he tried to burn his house down. He had to poison Brock to kill Gus which he had to do because he saved Jesse's life. It all comes down to Jesse's fault.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Whoa Mikes niece of daughter in law or whatever the gently caress is played by the sister that bangs her brother in Rome

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I remember when the Breaking Bad thread would literally try to call out and shame people for liking a TV show character.:lol:

People who like Todd should be shunned.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Inventing an entire fictional fast food menu seems pretty drat amusing for the writers or whoever designed it.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He was also that Australian guy from Dream On. You know, that show you'd watch when you were 13 in the hope of seeing some titties. :allears:

Then you realize you're watching it in syndication, on a 'clean' network, and you'd switch it to something else.

Edit: Gibby Fiske.

And also in spinal tap.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYvCgj-sYw

Rock n roll.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

People who like Todd should be shunned.

Technically Todd saved Jessie's life. And gave him ice cream :colbert:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Todd had no malevolence or sense of guilt, but does have empathy.

Weird character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Todd was just a boy trying to impress a hot businesswoman

• Locked thread