Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jivjov posted:

(up to and including the RTD era's proclivity for the Cloister Bell ringing for a relatively trivial thing

Didn't we only hear that for the first time in the revival in The Sound of Drums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Timby posted:

Didn't we only hear that for the first time in the revival in The Sound of Drums?

Plus the Children in Need minisode between Seasons 1 and 2 (10's first time flying), and the Time Crash minisode.

But yeah, upon looking at the tardis wiki page for it, that was more of a Moffat thing than an RTD one. My bad!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, I'd associate it going off a lot more with Moffat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
God help me, I actually feel like rewatching the RTD years. I haven't seen most of them for 5+ years and I'm sure they've aged terribly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

David Suchet :hellyeah:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I just answered that knock knock joke from the continuity announcer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am furious David Suchet didn't say he knew who Harriet Jones was :argh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

David Suchet :hellyeah:

There's a very recent Radio Times article (read it here) where David Suchet says his favourite Doctor is the Sixth Doctor because he and Colin Baker were at LAMDA together.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I am furious David Suchet didn't say he knew who Harriet Jones was :argh:
Welp, Doctor Who is ruined forever
Wrap it up guys and gals, we're done here

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

someone brought up chris chibnall to colin baker at a con i was at this evening and he's still salty about the segment chris did on open air in the 80s lmao

"Chris Chibnall?! CHRIS CHIBNALL?!?!"

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Missy is in the vault, calling it now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

4/4 now in my opinion, every episode has been good-to-great and this was right up there. Suchet was excellent of course, no surprise there.

Looke posted:

I was 50/50 on that until the Doctor mentioned young people dying and,"Round the Mulberry Bush" (or was it Pop Goes the Weasel?) started being played merrily :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 6, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Another week, another themed Big Finish Sale! The only thing I need this week is Jago & Litefoot & Strax...but I can recommend the 4th Doctor Cloisters of Terror.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
That was an extremely good episode, I loved it.

Nicely Gothic in the proper sense of the term, with creepy attic-bound people and such.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I thought that was dull as ditch water.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I enjoyed that. Agree with 4 for 4 so far, but that's probably not a surprise to anyone.

Anyone listen to the "binaural" thing? I think it didn't add much except for when the house starts knocking from a bunch of different places, and it was pretty awesome then.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

BSam posted:

Anyone listen to the "binaural" thing? I think it didn't add much except for when the house starts knocking from a bunch of different places, and it was pretty awesome then.

They could have done way more with it, Binaural stuff is pretty cool but it felt underutilized.

I hope they do it again sometime but really go to town with it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BSam posted:

I enjoyed that. Agree with 4 for 4 so far, but that's probably not a surprise to anyone.

There was that and one bit where a knock came from behind and to the left that startled the poo poo out of me.

I liked that a lot. David Suchet is another national treasure, even if he DID play Not-Saddam in Iron Eagle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Suchet was definitely one of the highlights.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

God help me, I actually feel like rewatching the RTD years. I haven't seen most of them for 5+ years and I'm sure they've aged terribly.

They have. Especially the Eccleston season. I'm not sure how it wasn't canceled. It's loving awful. It gets better every season after that. Your mileage may vary as I think the Matt Smith era just after RTD left was the high water mark.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

wow no

It's fine.

This week's was really good! Again!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Watched Jamie Matheson do a live commentary of "Mummy" and he said the cigarette case full of jelly babies was 100% Capaldi's idea. He said "i would never put something like that in a script because it would be the same as saying 'We're big fans of Tom Baker and we wish you were him.'"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Looke posted:

I mean, they're not really trying very hard to hide it

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

They have. Especially the Eccleston season. I'm not sure how it wasn't canceled. It's loving awful. It gets better every season after that. Your mileage may vary as I think the Matt Smith era just after RTD left was the high water mark.

Back when I started watching Who, RTD was all we had and we ENJOYED it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Regarde Aduck posted:

They have. Especially the Eccleston season. I'm not sure how it wasn't canceled. It's loving awful. It gets better every season after that.

Oh, God, no, Piper and Tennant swooning at each other like horny high school students in the second season was just unwatchable. At least with the Eccleston season, we had Rose, Dalek, Boom Town, Bad Wolf, Parting of the Ways, Father's Day, The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Unquiet Dead and The End of the World. Really, the only clunkers are the Slitheen two-parter and The Long Game.

The effects are ropey as hell and of course the video quality is terrible, but the stories themselves are really very great.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've heard of Hungry House, but this is ridiculous.

Them bugs were cute tho.

Also I bet he's got Bongo Bongo in there.

Also also Peter Capaldi saying he'll busk it will always make me laugh

McDragon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 7, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Some of the acting was a little wooden though

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Torchwood Series 5: Aliens Among Us coming not to your television screens, but to your headphones! RTD himself actually was involved in the early planning stuff.

If you don't feel like clicking through, the gist is that Big Finish is doing a 12 episode Torchwood series, released as three 4-episode box sets (coming in August, October, and next February). Full cast, with Jack, Gwen, Rhys, and Andy; being joined by new characters Mr Colchester (Paul Clayton), Ng (Alexandria Riley), Tyler (Jonny Green) and Orr (Sam Béart).

This is pretty neat. Big Finish's stuff has really turned me around on Torchwood.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Four episodes in, and I think I'm ready to declare Series 10 the most fresh and fun Who has been since Series 5.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Liked that episode a lot. Felt like a slasher movie a bit, but I am glad the kids will still be around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I feel a bit in the minority; that episode didn't do a whole lot for me. It was fine, I didn't dislike it...but it was just "okay" to me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

4/4 now in my opinion, every episode has been good-to-great and this was right up there. Suchet was excellent of course, no surprise there.

I was 50/50 on that until the Doctor mentioned young people dying and,"Round the Mulberry Bush" (or was it Pop Goes the Weasel?) started being played merrily :allears:

That really gave it away and at this point, I'm sure only the thickest of people or most casual of watchers would still think it's someone else at this point or be surprised if it was Missy.
(barring something boneheaded as putting a completely new character in there or something)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hehe, 9th Doctor Chronicles pulls the same non-spoiler foreshadowing that UNIT does

Rose: "This Christmas, we're coming home.
Doctor: "Over my dead body..."

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Four episodes in, and I think I'm ready to declare Series 10 the most fresh and fun Who has been since Series 5.

same, and next week's is a jamie mathieson script so should be on-point as well

a big part of it is Bill and Twelve's interaction; wishing now we were going to get more than one season of this pair :/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It was a competent horror episode with David Suchet, what more do you need?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If this is the worst episode of the series, I think we'll be just fine.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I've enjoyed all 4 episodes so far. Really looking forward to next week's space adventure.

As I'm not in tune as the rest of you, are they going to need another ridiculous reason for him to be able to regenerate this season or have they resolved that already?

Also Matt Smith best doctor fightmeirl.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

I've enjoyed all 4 episodes so far. Really looking forward to next week's space adventure.

As I'm not in tune as the rest of you, are they going to need another ridiculous reason for him to be able to regenerate this season or have they resolved that already?

It's a new cycle.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

hanales posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

McDragon posted:

Some of the acting was a little wooden though
Go to your room.

-
And it's the Simms Master in the Vault.
Who else would be delighted to hear about people getting eaten?
Plus, the Doctor brought a lot of food.
And has a robot guarding the Vault, who can't really be eaten for nourishment.

• Locked thread