Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Subjunctive posted:

RVs are more like homes than cars, at the high end.

uhh not in how they depriciate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

uhh not in how they depriciate

Sorry, I meant in pricing and use (and probably maintenance costs). You're absolutely right from a long-term value perspective.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Happy derby day bwm thread.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This was good and then I got to the punchline of "She posted pictures to her facebook with her friend who live an hour away of them driving around in the car."

:pusheen:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

There are sneakers that list at $1800, and people apparently buy them.

http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-accessories/advice/g2538/luxury-sneaker-brands-worth-spending-money/ for a randomly chosen set of examples.

$1000 on jeans, perhaps obviously, doesn't take much work at all.

The most ridiculous part about spending that much on jeans (and people will laugh at me for this) is that you can buy jeans handmade by one old tailor for $500. Which is still a ton of money, but why would you buy $1000 jeans made by slave labor when you could buy $500 jeans made by an old guy, sold off of a website that looks like half of it was made in 2005? http://www.roydenim.com/buy-jeans

I know the answer is brand bragging.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
$1,000 for a pair of pants that keep my legs warm and covers my genitalia just like the $30 one boggles my mind.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

sparkmaster posted:

$1,000 for a pair of pants that keep my legs warm and covers my genitalia just like the $30 one boggles my mind.

Do you really not understand conspicuous consumption? Like, I try not do it much, but I get why people do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can also understand buying more expensive stuff because it's not made by slave labor, but a ton of $2-300 fashion brands still are. I have no idea about anything higher priced.

Also even if you know where the clothes were made and the cloth was made, good luck finding out where the yarn/thread was spun and the labor conditions of the cotton harvesters.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheQuietWilds posted:

Do you really not understand conspicuous consumption? Like, I try not do it much, but I get why people do.

Yeah it's just this. People don't spend that kind of money to clothe themselves or to ensure fair treatment for laborers, they spend it because it lets others know that they can spend it and pretty much only that reason

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

That's a goddamn bus, I refuse to hear otherwise.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Well, often it's better made with better materials.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Independence-RV-Sales-%26-Svc%2C-Inc.-733884/listing/2017-Newmar-Dutch-Star-4369-120087036

439k for a used one. What a steal!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A horse that is GWM? :aaaaa:

https://twitter.com/gregpollak/status/861023209872904192

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

go ahead and guess how much the inseminations that lead to that horse cost.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

go ahead and guess how much the inseminations that lead to that horse cost.

Was it... many dollars?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A one time stud fee for last years winner was 200k.

Better hope it takes!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/regan-long/the-brutal-truth-about-those-pyramid-schemes_b_10602586.html

quote:

Whether it be Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, or LinkedIn ... we have been seeing a tremendous shift in peoples’ posts, a large percentage of them being women and/or mothers.

As you scroll through your news feeds, you may find photos and posts with similar catch phrases of “join me“ or “are you ready to try ______ “ or you may possibly read “looking for ___ for my next group/party I’m hosting“.

Why is there such a rise in these start up businesses? Why are we seeing a trend of these posts being blasted through all types of social media? Why does it appear that everyone is being fooled to hop on someone else’s bandwagon of what appears that they’re showcasing, well... the grass is greener on the other side?

Well here’s the short and simple truth that I have found not only from research and personal experience, but simply living it: this actually works. These so called “schemes” are actually creating opportunities for millions to begin their own businesses from home.

We’re living in an economy that it takes two incomes to make ends meet. We’re living in a country that is battling to have paid family leave available for all of its families. We’re living in a time that people are becoming sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Sick and tired of living paycheck to paycheck - or maybe not even able to stay above afloat some months.

Sick and tired of working long, tireless hours away from home, but there’s no choice. You must do what is necessary to pay the bills and put food on the table.

Sick and tired of paying the astronomical costs for someone else to raise your children, while you’re answering to someone else.

A lot of these posts you’re seeing of these small businesses being advertised are mothers. And this should really come by no surprise to anyone.

Mothers have met their breaking points head on and are taking leaps of faith to become Entrepreneurs, becoming their own boss of something that is giving them some freedoms.

And you know what - it’s WORKING.

There are no pyramid schemes, despite so many wanting to tag them as such, because you see - pyramid schemes are illegal. A lot of these businesses are multi level marketing which is what people are misinformed about. The MLM set up is why they are working with such success. They are set up in such a way to help the small business owner have a huge potential for financial success.

Think of your traditional brick and mortar business where people aren’t “afraid” of a scheme. Is there a manager that helps assist people at their job? Does that person have a boss? And does that boss have an overseeing boss or manager? And so on, and so forth?

Yes. Yes. Yes. And absolutely YES.

Now do those managers, bosses and CEO’s depend upon their staff to do their jobs diligently in order for their business and companies to be successful?

Yup.

Now anyone who is a motivated individual, would they want to move up in their company? Would they like more pay and higher success?

I would hope that every single working individual would answer yes to this.

Likewise, if these people like their job, do they talk about it? If you personally go to a restaurant you like, do you tell your friends about it? If you find a store whose clothing you have fallen in love with, do you share it? What about a new recipe you just tried that your family enjoyed...you probably have shared this with your co-workers and friends, no?

If this is the case, then every single one of us are involved in some type of pyramid scheme. God help us all.

Something to keep in your back pocket: when you’re buying from a chain store, you’re helping contribute to the retirement of the millionaire or billionaire CEO. When you’re buying from a small business owner, you’re helping pay for that family’s groceries, you’re paying toward the electric bill and helping Tommy afford a baseball glove or helping pay down Sarah’s outstanding hospital bill. You’re helping pay down school loan debt and you’re likewise contributing to someone’s ability to have more time with their children, their significant other or parents who may have fallen ill.

And these small businesses - well, there’s nothing small about them with the amount of effort and time that these Entrepreneurs are putting into them. Yes, it’s more than a few posts on social media. Yes, it’s more than setting up a couple groups or sending out some invitations to their next party or group. Yes, it’s even more than posting those witty, inspirational sayings or selfies you see each day.

It’s staying up late and getting up early to plan and strategize what you need to do to grow your business and share your product. It’s finding new and authentic ways to use social media to set yourself apart from the thousands of others who are trying to set the same competitive edge in their same business. It’s constantly learning the most recent updates in your business, adding to your contacts to ensure you are on the path to growing a thriving company, and working on your own personal development of bettering yourself as a business owner.

So the next time you’re scrolling through and considering the legitimacy of these posts that appear too good to be true, you may want to think twice. There is no comparison to the hustle and work ethic of a mother trying to provide for her family. If it happens to be something that piques your interest in something you’re already paying for from a chain or retail store, you just may want to give that small business owner a chance to prove you wrong.

My hope is that you are incredibly thrown by your surprise of the legitimacy and the 1:1 care and attention you can receive from having an open mind and heart. I assure you, that dollar is going to go much further than you could possibly imagine.

To follow Long, retired teacher at 31, you can find her on The Real Deal of Parenting

"Help your friends with their MLMs because all employment is demanding when you think about it"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

loving no.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Well I'm glad the Huffington Post is bringing awareness of the ability for MLMs to empower women to the masses.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

theHUNGERian posted:

Rate my $3k outfit. If he had a fancy watch, I would understand. But designer ripped jeans and a piece of poo poo hoodie?

http://imgur.com/gallery/qm8XX

Does anyone know SB Dunks well enough to identify that colorway? That doesn't even look like it'd be an expensive one.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

No Butt Stuff posted:

A one time stud fee for last years winner was 200k.

Better hope it takes!

Most racehorse stud arrangements have a clause where you get to try again for free if you don't get a live birth. Still BWM as heck.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
edit: gently caress. disregard.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 7, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

olylifter posted:

that's gotta be the follow-up, right?

I posted that days ago :colbert: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post472025149

It may be the followup, the timing is almost perfect though, the follow-up was two days after the initial post and said the body was found two days earlier by a park ranger, so literally the person would have had to post and then go buy some rope.

or it's an elaborate troll

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

monster on a stick posted:

I posted that days ago :colbert: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post472025149

It may be the followup, the timing is almost perfect though, the follow-up was two days after the initial post and said the body was found two days earlier by a park ranger, so literally the person would have had to post and then go buy some rope.

or it's an elaborate troll

Ah gently caress man my forum looking skills suck. I did look, just apparently fell short.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

Does anyone know SB Dunks well enough to identify that colorway? That doesn't even look like it'd be an expensive one.

I haven't followed in a while, but I don't see anything super special about them, other than that the top of the toe box and presumably the heel are switched from one to the other. Unless it was a super rare release, I don't see anything that would identify them otherwise.

Edit: I looked at it again and it looks like you can see a Jordan Brand set of wings in the mirror. I guess that could mean rare colorway, but the Jordan SBs were never really my thing. Maybe ask the sneaker thread?

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 7, 2017

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Well I'm glad the Huffington Post is bringing awareness of the ability for MLMs to empower women to the masses.

It's GWM for the author, that's a lot of free advertising since her twitter is nothing but promoting her mommy stuff and beach body mlm.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Something to keep in your back pocket: when you’re buying from a chain store, you’re helping contribute to the retirement of the millionaire or billionaire CEO. When you’re buying from a small business owner, you’re helping pay for that family’s groceries

... and towards the millionaire or billionaire CEO of the MLM company who has set themselves up to benefit from the "small business owners" the same way a normal boss benefits from workers but with the added perk of not having to pay for pesky things like health insurance or follow federal employment laws!

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

They aren't Dunks. You can read Nike Air on the tongue and Dunks don't have an air cushion in them. I'm pretty sure they are these.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Pffft only $425

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I know a guy who is building shoe equity. The big shoe companies release new editions of popular basketball shoes each year, and a new in box set of Air Jordans in the right colors and from the right year can sell for over $5000. Figure it's about as BWM as baseball cards or any other collectable. Of course, sports cards can be very BWM, as people routinely pay hundreds for an "autograph" that is nothing more than a squiggle, by some random rookie who will probably only last a year or two.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
A little old, but still good:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-bets-whopping-223000-hillary-9049272

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
1-877-KARS-4-KIDS not only produce super annoying jingles, they're also shady as gently caress and horrifically BWM:

Minnesota attorney general finds that less than 1 percent of donations to Kars4Kids charity goes to Minnesota kids posted:

Kars4Kids reports spending 63 percent of its proceeds on its mission, which according to its website includes summer camps and mentorships for children, and school and family programs.

According to Swanson, however, only about 44 percent of the $88 million it raised nationally from 160,000 donated vehicles between 2012 and 2014 went to good works.

Most of that money, amounting to $40 million, was given to an affiliated nonprofit called Oorah, which promotes Orthodox Judaism among children mostly in New Jersey and New York.

During that time, only one Minnesota child was thought to have benefited from an Oorah program.

The attorney general’s office forwarded its 300-page report to the Internal Revenue Service, which can revoke the tax-exempt status of a charitable organization. Swanson said she is talking with officials in other states about the findings.

Kars4Kids and Oorah share offices in Lakewood, N.J., and many of their employees serve both organizations. Oorah receives the “majority of its budget in the form of grants from Kars4Kids,” according to documents obtained by the attorney general’s office, and most of its programs are held at boys’ and girls’ camps in upstate New York.

According to the report, Kars4Kids and Oorah lost $9.2 million in failed real estate projects controlled by a second cousin of the charity’s president, Rabbi Eliyohu Mintz. Kars4Kids also invested in what turned out to be a Ponzi scheme, according to Swanson’s report.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Konstantin posted:

I know a guy who is building shoe equity. The big shoe companies release new editions of popular basketball shoes each year, and a new in box set of Air Jordans in the right colors and from the right year can sell for over $5000. Figure it's about as BWM as baseball cards or any other collectable. Of course, sports cards can be very BWM, as people routinely pay hundreds for an "autograph" that is nothing more than a squiggle, by some random rookie who will probably only last a year or two.

What Jordans are selling for $5000? Legitimately curious. I follow a few sneakerhead accounts on YouTube because I find the whole retro/rerelease culture to be fascinating, but it's legitimately nauseating to see how many shoes these guys have. Especially since the glue/foam in them deteriorates after 15 years regardless of initial build quality.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Mr.Radar posted:

1-877-KARS-4-KIDS not only produce super annoying jingles, they're also shady as gently caress and horrifically BWM:

I had no idea those jingles were nationwide! Ouch, sorry for the people that put up with that. Anyway, I'm not surprised that if it has ties to Lakewood, NJ that the money is being filtered in other ways. Everything from he school district to the housing/contractor industry to the banking industry in that area is under heavy scrutiny for taking as much money as they can for personal gain despite promises (off AND on the books) of charitable results. The idea that it extends beyond the NY-NJ corridor is scary.

Konstantin posted:

So...I guess he's getting these, then?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707820-lonzo-ball-reveals-495-zo2-signature-shoes-made-by-big-baller-brand

I'm pretty sure that those are the ultimate sports BWM shoes.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

blah_blah posted:

They aren't Dunks. You can read Nike Air on the tongue and Dunks don't have an air cushion in them. I'm pretty sure they are these.

So to add some additional thread content, it appears that website offers financing with a company called Affirm. So you can get those sneakers for $37.99/MO. It does not state APR which could be a truth in lending violation depending on structure if it does not properly fall under an exemption for store financing. Also the little blurb about it says checking eligibility will not affect your credit, but that it is subject to credit approval. If they are pulling your credit the inquiry can affect your credit score, especially if you fall under the type of credit profile that needs to buy sneakers on time.

therobit fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 7, 2017

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

therobit posted:

So to add some additional thread content, it appears that website offers financing with a comant called Affirm. So you can get those sneakers for $37.99/MO. It does notstate APR which could be a fair lending violation depending on structure if it does not properly fall under an exemption for store financing. Also the little blurb about it says checking eligibility will not affect your credit, but that it is subject to credit approval. If they are pulling your credit the inquiry can affect your credit score, especially if you fall under the type of credit profile that needs to buy sneakers on time.

I've purchased stuff with Affirm, I don't know if it's typical but when I purchased using Affirm the price was exactly the same and the APR was 0% if I setup auto debit and paid over 12 months. Assumingely the place I was purchasing from took a chunk out of their profits to pay for Affirm for that, since I doubt Affirm was offering free financing out of the goodness of their hearts.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I've purchased stuff with Affirm, I don't know if it's typical but when I purchased using Affirm the price was exactly the same and the APR was 0% if I setup auto debit and paid over 12 months. Assumingely the place I was purchasing from took a chunk out of their profits to pay for Affirm for that, since I doubt Affirm was offering free financing out of the goodness of their hearts.

Was it a big ticket item? I could see the retailer paying for the financing in that case. Otherwise it could be that enough people pay late that they are counting on late fees to make it profitable.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

My Facebook account is primarily for family connections (good God do Moms and Aunts love it) and over the years I've collected more than a few "friends" from back in high school days, etc. Many of whom are now mid to late 40's, like me.

And was I ever getting over-run by MLM poo poo. Rodan+Fields in particular - I think they are the new Mary Kay for empowered women. I had to set up a filter for that dumb poo poo. It is everywhere now. That and angry distant relatives posting about Trump being a nazi every day.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Like anything, you really have to know the market. Shoes can be very GWM but:

1 - On most retro Jordans, you're maybe making $30-$40 per shoe before eBay fees if you're looking to flip day 1.
2 - If you buy the wrong pairs, you're hosed as some shoe stores won't let you return quickstrike (the name for that tier of rarity/release) releases and now you're sitting on a few hundred dollars of Jordan Raptor 7s or unwanted Foams and taking a loss.
3 - Every person you deal with is some wannabe hustler and thinks of themselves in that way. It's loving annoying. Imagine you had a job that only sold to finance bros. It's kinda like that.
4 - You either need to be really lucky or have a hookup for the real profitable stuff. Tech nerds could've leveraged their Twitter bots in the past, but now all crazy hyped stuff goes through SNKRS app for Nike. Not sure about Yeezys. Those might still be exploitable.
5 - Shoe equity is all reliant on someone somewhere being willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money on rare sneakers, specifically your pair of rare sneakers, from all the other sneakers in the world. Are you willing to be the guy sitting on a pair of sneakers from 2011 and insisting you get your $850 for them that may never materialize?

I'm wondering when the market will bottom out on most of these sneakers the way that the market bottomed out on comics a few years back.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

therobit posted:

Was it a big ticket item? I could see the retailer paying for the financing in that case. Otherwise it could be that enough people pay late that they are counting on late fees to make it profitable.

Yea. It was a peloton cycle. In the $2,000 and change range.