Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Better advice: Get out and do literally anything else.

Side note: I am not following my own advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I second that advice while stroking my beard thoughtfully.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

whatspeakyou posted:

My best advice for you is, besides more cardio to lean out your muscles and HIIT to burn fat off, do the old ben gay wrap the night before. You'll shave about an inch off.

I'm planning to up the running to at least 20 miles a week but I do need to do more interval stuff for sure. I'm pretty sure I can find somewhere to work it in.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

whatspeakyou posted:

My best advice for you is, besides more cardio to lean out your muscles and HIIT to burn fat off, do the old ben gay wrap the night before. You'll shave about an inch off.

IIRC, they changed the formula so you now need to buy Canadian Bengay for it to work. Put that stuff under the wrap and then use one on those tummy tightener elastic bands they sell on Amazon.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm planning to up the running to at least 20 miles a week but I do need to do more interval stuff for sure. I'm pretty sure I can find somewhere to work it in.

Christ, what a terrible way to live.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I'm pretty sure I could lose a few inches on my waist if the Air Force would just stop buddy loving me and causing me to drink so I don't jump in front of a train.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I realized a few months back that I was drinking every evening. Not enough to be dangerous, but every day.

Until my current assignment, I never had alcohol if I needed to work the next day.

I cut back to weekend drinking, but man, it sneaks up on you fast, if you hate your job enough.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My friend works at a beverage distribution center. He came to visit the other day and dropped off like 50-60 beers that he got for free. I'm glad I got out and haven't fallen back to drinking every night. There's so much less stress and I hope everyone gets their freedom back one day.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

There's an airshow going on at my base this weekend. I'll be working it, as usual, so I hate it. But I've got to begrudgingly admit that these things remind me just how cool airplanes are. It's also a reminder that the Blue Angels are so much better than the Thunderbirds it's not even funny.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

There's an airshow going on at my base this weekend. I'll be working it, as usual, so I hate it. But I've got to begrudgingly admit that these things remind me just how cool airplanes are. It's also a reminder that the Blue Angels are so much better than the Thunderbirds it's not even funny.
Are you going to be the guy from that parody commercial holding the parking sign?

and yes, the Blue Angels are better in every way.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
We've got an airshow on our guard base this weekend too, and god drat is the Raptor demo incredible. It almost makes up for putting up with all the bullshit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its kind of sad that the service where aviation is kind of a side gig has the better show off team

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Are you going to be the guy from that parody commercial holding the parking sign?

and yes, the Blue Angels are better in every way.

That guy was me every year up through staff. Then I made tech, so I became the guy who sells beer under a nice tent. Also the guy who drinks beer while selling it. It's legit the only time of the year I'm glad I live on base, because I sure as poo poo won't be good to drive afterward.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

pkells posted:

We've got an airshow on our guard base this weekend too, and god drat is the Raptor demo incredible. It almost makes up for putting up with all the bullshit.
The last time we had an airshow we ended up having incredibly thick fog so nothing could fly 1 out of 2 days. They had a military appreciation day thing when they were supposed to be doing their practice runs which also got cancelled due to fog. I was there long enough to buy a vastly overpriced hot dog.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Larry Parrish posted:

Its kind of sad that the service where aviation is kind of a side gig has the better show off team

Well to be fair the Navy has always been better at flying pointy jets than the Air Force. The AF only is on top now cause the F-22 is basically a cheat code.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

pkells posted:

last summer for fleet week in baltimore the blue angels practiced over the port the week prior. so we get a free air show every day. one day a raptor or two came out and did all sorts of crazy poo poo that i didnt know jets could do.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Rekinom posted:

Well to be fair the Navy has always been better at flying pointy jets than the Air Force. The AF only is on top now cause the F-22 is basically a cheat code.

Pretty sure the Navy has shot down more Air Force jets than vice versa, too.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

McNally posted:

Pretty sure the Navy has shot down more Air Force jets than vice versa, too.

I have no idea if that is true, but I do recall a Navy pilot (either Tomcat or Hornet) saying how they could hold their own or win vs Eagles within certain dogfighting parameters, but then the F-15s would "wall up" and gently caress them over six ways to Sunday.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
F-15C's considerably out perform F-18's in air superiority, Super Hornets included.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Derek Dominoe posted:

I have no idea if that is true, but I do recall a Navy pilot (either Tomcat or Hornet) saying how they could hold their own or win vs Eagles within certain dogfighting parameters, but then the F-15s would "wall up" and gently caress them over six ways to Sunday.

It helps if the Air Force pilots think it's a training exercise.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/16/us/pilot-faulted-for-downing-jet.html

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

It helps if the Air Force pilots think it's a training exercise.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/16/us/pilot-faulted-for-downing-jet.html

That pilot naval aviator was a hair away from making admiral before that story resurfaced and the Senate reacted to the public outcry.

Derek Dominoe posted:

Starting from a par position, no Tomcat or Hornet will win without an error by an Eagle driver. From an advantageous position, maybe. But the Eagle can better accelerate, outrun, out turn, and gain/maintain energy through a sustained turn by a significant margin over any jet fighter the Navy has ever operated. I'm curious how an F-14D w/AMRAAM would've fared BVR against a contemporary F-15C, but alas, Dick Cheney is an rear end in a top hat.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Was it hornets by themselves or with their own awacs and jammers?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I assumed we were talking straight DACT. F-14s didn't carry AMRAAM and Phoenix was not particularly good against fighter-sized targets, and legacy Hornets are hilariously outclassed in every single metric. Unless they had serious jamming support to shut down the APG-63 (and I don't know if that existed in the inventory at the time) they'd never get a shot off. Modern Super Hornets vs modern F-15Cs...they have a good radar now, but the F-15 will still have the basic airframe-derived advantages I listed. And superior missile kinematics. Again, unless the F-15 pilot fucks up, it doesn't matter if AWACS support is included. Jamming, maybe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dogfighting is dead, our future is drone tanks launching air drones to fire drone missiles at BVR drones

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Until you fight someone who spent $75 at Radio Shack and aliexpress and can jam the everloving gently caress out of your radar and datalink.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Radioshack is dying for real this time.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I went to my Radio Shack awhile back and couldn't buy anything because the only actual Radio Shack employee was gone to lunch and the only person actually there was a Sprint person

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Radioshack is dying for real this time.

One of my friends bought the entire drawers of components

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
After taking over the unit safety program from a do-nothing turd while simultaneously organizing this month's promotion ceremony I now understand why your liver gets worse the more stripes you have.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
That's why you shoot for mediocrity. Everybody else fights over volunteer bullshit for 10% of the promotion ratings and you get sit back stress-free, focusing on whatever else you want to do.

My NCOIC is the same rank as I am. He's the interim flight chief, leads several volunteer groups, and is the general go-to guy for a lot of stupid tasks. I have the same job as the two Airmen I supervise and don't volunteer for poo poo. NCOIC got the same Promote statement I did for 10 times the effort.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Air Force really feeds on people who don't understand how to break into the 10%. Those dudes are always the most ate up and grouchy when they get out too. Having said that, a few strategic volunteer gigs here and there can keep you coasting for quite a while

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008
Well gents, I tested for E-5, AkA surf master and im sure i missed it by like 5 or less points without studying. What does that tell me? I dont belong here or that I dont want to belong here? who knows it depends on the promotion rates of this year. #blessedAF.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I haven't even tested for MSgt yet and I probably won't until August or so. With promotion rates being poo poo lately I don't have much faith but at least I don't have to wait forever for results.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

Softface posted:

After taking over the unit safety program from a do-nothing turd while simultaneously organizing this month's promotion ceremony I now understand why your liver gets worse the more stripes you have.

Dude safety is easy. IDK why youre so salty, its just shuffling paper around to show that as a shop Supervisor (or program MGMT) that you own it and everyone has had a taste of your Koolaid.

zombieswithblenders fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 14, 2017

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

zombieswithblenders posted:

Dude safety is easy. IDK why youre so salty, its just shuffling paper around to show that as a shop Supervisor (or program MGMT) that you own it and everyone has had a taste of your Koolaid.

It depends on your area. I was my shop's safety supervisor, but that's for Command Post, so there weren't things like confined spaces or heavy equipment to worry about. I assume there's more to it if you are a MX or CE safety guy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kuroyama posted:

It depends on your area. I was my shop's safety supervisor, but that's for Command Post, so there weren't things like confined spaces or heavy equipment to worry about. I assume there's more to it if you are a MX or CE safety guy.

My supervisor was the safety/shelter in place lackey and all she did was occasionally get me off the console to spend an hour pretending like we actually did something

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I dropped by my old lab on Friday and talked to all the guys still there. Things were actually split reasonably even on getting out and staying in, despite my claims to how legit it is and how awesome the pay is on the outside. I don't think I changed any minds but I certainly gave some of them hope for the future

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So this is making its rounds on FB, pretty funny.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...m=.22509e46fbdd

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Welp, commander wants to have one more session of squadron PT...

...on the BMT side of Lackland on graduation day at 7 am. Can't wait to start 30 minutes late because people can't get through the gates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Heard we might be going back to once a year fitness testing regardless of score.

• Locked thread