Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fun episode that actually kind of spooked me at a few points. Capaldi is really killing it this season. He's really making it hard to swallow the fact that this is it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The wood woman genuinely creeped me out every time she spoke :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Knock Knock gifs - click to view

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Looke posted:

Missy is in the vault, calling it now

I dunno, that's too obvious at this point. Either it's not going to be a whole-series mystery and they'll reveal it halfway through, or it's a fakeout and we're dealing with something else (I'd buy our old friend Simm Master, it'd mesh well with him asking about the Prime Minister; he's hanging out with one).

I was disappointed by this episode, but not because it was bad. I just got immediately excited that I might be getting an episode about my favorite thing: bizarro, terrifyingly wrong physical space. Instead I got a really good episode that would've totally wrecked the me of two or three years ago by speaking to problems I had then but don't any longer. So yeah, not a bad episode, but not what I was hoping for.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I find shows about freshers even more annoying than freshers themselves, but I did like the ever-so-slightly-dickhead guy and his terrible flirting.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

They have. Especially the Eccleston season. I'm not sure how it wasn't canceled. It's loving awful. It gets better every season after that. Your mileage may vary as I think the Matt Smith era just after RTD left was the high water mark.

I really don't get this. Maybe it's nostalgia but I honestly think Series 1 is at the very least in my top 3 favourite seasons of the show. It very much feels like something from 2005 but if you're a Doctor Who fan with no patience for the inadequacies of old TV I would think you'd hate most of the original run as well.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Did their budget get cut? It's all dimly lit rooms.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cargohills posted:

I really don't get this. Maybe it's nostalgia but I honestly think Series 1 is at the very least in my top 3 favourite seasons of the show. It very much feels like something from 2005 but if you're a Doctor Who fan with no patience for the inadequacies of old TV I would think you'd hate most of the original run as well.
Agreed.

I wince at Rose asking the Doctor if he is gay though. 2005 really was a different time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Aardark posted:

Did their budget get cut? It's all dimly lit rooms.

I'm not sure if you're serious (it's an old and lovely house at night, of course it's all dimly lit), I wouldn't be surprised if this was something of a bottle episode. Not for all departments--it had a fairly large 'active cast' compared to everything else so far--but I wouldn't be surprised if it was sort of a break for the set designers so they could focus their energies on some of the more elaborate settings for this season.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 7, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
By the way, if you've not already seen it, do watch Sense8. Not only does Freema absolutely shine, but Sylvester McCoy is a Irn Bru drinking sarcastic sensate in Season 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shneak posted:

The wood woman genuinely creeped me out every time she spoke :stare:

This episode was the first genuinely scary one for me in a long while, I loved it. And the makeup on the wood woman was amazing. It's also almost certainly John Simm's Master in the Vault, because who else would get excited about teens getting eaten by a house? My only complaint is that with the Dryads apparently being affected/manipulated by high-frequency sound, why couldn't the Doctor just sonic them?

Given that the Doctor going into The Vault was such a simple thing (no worry about the contents escaping at all, or even making a big deal about opening it to visit the occupant), I can't help but think the purpose of the Vault isn't to keep something in, it's to keep something out and protect whomever is inside.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 7, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

Season 1 is still pretty good I think, but visually it has aged horribly. RTD really revels in reintroducing the Doctor and showcasing us the character in the modern world. I still love their horrified reactions to the police officer who asks (paraphrased),"So you picked up this young girl to travel the world with you for a year without telling her mother.... sir is this a sexual thing?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Season 1 is still pretty good I think, but visually it has aged horribly. RTD really revels in reintroducing the Doctor and showcasing us the character in the modern world. I still love their horrified reactions to the police officer who asks (paraphrased),"So you picked up this young girl to travel the world with you for a year without telling her mother.... sir is this a sexual thing?"

I love that moment too. It's when the Doctor calls Rose 'his Companion', and then there's just no salvaging that one for him :allears:.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Curious echoplex, in an episode without much in the way of screens and monitors, or signs and that, did you guys do much?

maybe signs in the estate agents and that, or the paintings of whassername, and that kind of thing?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There was a run of Doctor Who specifically designed to avoid dimly lit rooms. It does not particularly look like it was well budgeted.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I watched the last two episodes, and the only good part was when the new girl asked the Doctor if he ever killed anyone, and he was like "......................"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

remusclaw posted:

There was a run of Doctor Who specifically designed to avoid dimly lit rooms. It does not particularly look like it was well budgeted.

Yeah, but things were different in the 80s

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I like 2spooky Doctor Who episodes set in confined spaces.
I was also relieved the kids got brought back. It would've been insanely dark for them to stay dead, considering they did not really do anything to warrant it, even by horror show standards.

David Suchet's performance and the wood woman really made the episode, though. the wood woman was a great sympathetic monster.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This episode was the first genuinely scary one for me in a long while, I loved it. And the makeup on the wood woman was amazing. It's also almost certainly John Simm's Master in the Vault, because who else would get excited about teens getting eaten by a house? My only complaint is that with the Dryads apparently being affected/manipulated by high-frequency sound, why couldn't the Doctor just sonic them?

Given that the Doctor going into The Vault was such a simple thing (no worry about the contents escaping at all, or even making a big deal about opening it to visit the occupant), I can't help but think the purpose of the Vault isn't to keep something in, it's to keep something out and protect whomever is inside.

I feel that having the vault be easily accessible from the outside is at odds with your theory that its there to keep things out. The vault is to keep the master in, because the doctor doesn't hate the master but knows that she is a threat. The doctor isn't scared of going in because the master doesn't really directly pose a threat to the doctor's life either (unless I'm misremembering earlier episodes the masters plots have been mostly about beating the doctor, not killing him)

Namtab fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 7, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thinking about it, the way the conflict was resolved was a lot like The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, wasn't it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So three episodes in a row that have had humans as fuel for the not-monster-of-the-week to consume, bit of a theme there! Plus three knocks the previous episode, two knocks this one, I suppose we'll have one knock next week and the countdown will be over for the re-introduction of the Master.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dabir posted:

Thinking about it, the way the conflict was resolved was a lot like The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, wasn't it.

Except the spoilered episodes didn't end with a mother murdering her son. That was hosed up.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That bit did feel a bit weird, yeah. Maybe it wouldn't if it he was extending his own life too but as it is it doesn't quite work.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint is that with the Dryads apparently being affected/manipulated by high-frequency sound, why couldn't the Doctor just sonic them?

It doesn't work on wood.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That one was okay. It felt a bit rushed in trying to introduce all of the characters, but it was creepy enough, and I still like the Doctor/Bill dynamic.

Poor David Suchet. :(

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

So three episodes in a row that have had humans as fuel for the not-monster-of-the-week to consume, bit of a theme there! Plus three knocks the previous episode, two knocks this one, I suppose we'll have one knock next week and the countdown will be over for the re-introduction of the Master.

You're kinda pushing it a bit with the first of the three

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seeing McCoy in Sense 8 is mostly weird because you can sort of picture his character just being the Seventh Doctor with an Eight-like memory loss.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

cargohills posted:

That bit did feel a bit weird, yeah. Maybe it wouldn't if it he was extending his own life too but as it is it doesn't quite work.

She told him to go live what was left of his life, and his response was "nope, everybody dies". She only killed him after that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Quite enjoyed that. I watched the binaural version, and agree the effect wasn't quite used as it could have been. Like, put on headphones and listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQH-jwE_kfo

That's some really good 3d binaural sound right there.

Ironically, this really reminded me of dodgy British horror film, Spirit Trap, starring Billie Piper which she filmed just before starting on Who. It's also about a bunch of students moving into a spooky old house with a Secret.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Namtab posted:

I mean, they're not really trying very hard to hide it

I'm really hoping there's some kind of twist because it's a bit too obvious to drag out all season at this point.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

If this is the worst episode of the series, I think we'll be just fine.

The worst epsiode was the emojibots one that utterly failed to come up with an ending.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Liked the episode. Felt intentionally like a cheesy horror movie, like some of the better who's.

I kind of suspect the restoration of Bill's friends was added later, but everyone standing around making bad quips at the end helped it feel even more b-movie.

I wasn't going to watch this season, but I caught the first episode and was too charmed by Bill not to watch the rest, it's a good season with some much needed simplicity so far. Actually, at this point I wish Bill could stick around a little longer, but oh well, if they kept her then something would happen to her like what happened to other companions who stuck too long.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Bicyclops posted:

Seeing McCoy in Sense 8 is mostly weird because you can sort of picture his character just being the Seventh Doctor with an Eight-like memory loss.

Also, him swearing.

It's like that outtake of T Bakes chewing out K-9.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Honestly, who looks for a 6 bedroom place? You're all going to end up hating Pavel and his late night DJ sets. Just look for a couple of 3 beds close to eachother. Be sensible, guys!

Oh, and Harry was meant to be Harry Sullivan's grandson, but it got cut from the story: http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/doctor-who-series-10-knock-knock-character-is-classic-companion-s-grandson/

Good to see he carried on the family line of being an imbecile!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 8, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

I'm really hoping there's some kind of twist because it's a bit too obvious to drag out all season at this point.
You say that but all the "evidence" people are quoting is circumstantial at best and remember, this is a mass appeal series and people are thick.

The_Doctor posted:

Quite enjoyed that. I watched the binaural version, and agree the effect wasn't quite used as it could have been. Like, put on headphones and listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQH-jwE_kfo

That's some really good 3d binaural sound right there.

Ironically, this really reminded me of dodgy British horror film, Spirit Trap, starring Billie Piper which she filmed just before starting on Who. It's also about a bunch of students moving into a spooky old house with a Secret.

gently caress me that first knock is exactly from my window.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Who else was a little bit curious about the Doctor saying Bill was his granddaughter?

Because it doesn't seem impossible that she is.

It hasn't been mentioned since, but in the first episode, when Bill was looking at pictures of her mother, wasn't there one with her mother and The Doctor?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

Who else was a little bit curious about the Doctor saying Bill was his granddaughter?

Because it doesn't seem impossible that she is.

It hasn't been mentioned since, but in the first episode, when Bill was looking at pictures of her mother, wasn't there one with her mother and The Doctor?

Uhh...you know he was just continuing the cover story Bill ad-libbed, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

Bill mentions that she has no pictures of her mother, then goes home where suddenly a box of photos of her mother have been discovered and one of them has a reflection of the Doctor. The idea is pretty clearly supposed to be that he jumped in the TARDIS, went back and befriended Bill's mom and took a bunch of photos of her so he could gift them to Bill as a Christmas Present.

All that said, Bill calling out,"Grandfather!" to him did make me warmly nostalgic for the Hartnell era, and he did quite deliberately look towards a picture of Susan when she asked what it was he saw in her that made him want to tutor her. She isn't his granddaughter, but being stuck on Earth and at a school again obviously has him feeling nostalgic :3:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Which was obviously making him uncomfortable for reasons beyond his excuses about how old he looked. Susan is getting more references and nods than can be ignored this season. Also the whole we must survive thing from Old man Oedipus seems like a pretty blatant reference as well.

I though the slasher movie setup was pretty blatant from the start and was surprised everyone survived at the end of it. "Well Bill, it was good meeting your friends. No plans? Well I know a great place and time to get your mind off things." Was probably for the best honestly, don't need the new companion to be totally devastated on all levels this quickly into a season.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 8, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, who looks for a 6 bedroom place? You're all going to end up hating Pavel and his late night DJ sets. Just look for a couple of 3 beds close to eachother. Be sensible, guys!

Sometimes it's the only way to get something affordable. I lived in a place with seven people for a year and a half until I got a better job and could afford real rent. You're right, though, the real horror story would have been if they had been able to get a perfectly normal place; getting eaten by dryad-bugs is nothing compared to the daily bickering over who can hear whom having sex through the walls, who won't clean the dishes, who's alarm clock won't stop going off after they leave, and who isn't paying their rent money every month. Give me David Suchet's horrorbugs over living with six roommates any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Except the spoilered episodes didn't end with a mother murdering her son. That was hosed up.

it was, but it made sense. She realized that she couldn't stand for having people killed on her behalf any longer. She wanted her son to go out and enjoy the world, but he refused and stated his intent to hurt more people for her sake, even though she no longer wanted that. So the only way to make sure nobody else would get hurt was the murder-suicide.

• Locked thread