Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've got a ton of love for Different Seasons. I wish he had more stories about that weird story club.

The one that had The Breathing Method, right?

Love those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

syscall girl posted:

The one that had The Breathing Method, right?

Love those.

Yeah. It's the only story in that book that wasn't turned into a movie, and I think there's one or two other stories with the Story Club in other anthologies, like the one with the guy who wouldn't shake hands.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I dunno if it would work padded out into movie length, but I'd love to see a version of The Jaunt from Skeleton Crew.

e: Hmm, well maybe I'll get my wish? http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stephen-King-Teleportation-Tale-Jaunt-Heading-Theaters-70303.html

Didn't see anything more recent though, so dunno if it's still in development or what.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

unfortunately it fell into the king trap of here's a really loving terrible ending after you just spent 1000 pages reading my book.

I had zero problem with the ending, but then I have almost zero problem with the ending to The Stand either. the meth lab fireball just ripping through the town and incinerating everything was terrifying

Groovelord Neato posted:

problem with pet sematary is it's a 300 page novel stretched to 600 pages (another king trap).

Huh? Pet Sematary is only like 350 pages.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Pet Cemetery is loving awesome.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Huh? Pet Sematary is only like 350 pages.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Pet Cemetery is loving awesome.

Pet Cemetery is so drat depressing that it's one of those movies I doubt I'll ever watch again. Same goes for Requiem for a Dream.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What the hell tiny paperback edition is that? I just reread the 1st edition hardcover and it was def under 400.

E: 374 according to wikipedia

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

most people own his books as mass markets we aren't 60 years old.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

What's it like being poor?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
My copy of Pet Sematary seems to be well over 900 pages, please advise.

A copy of Pet Sematary that just kept getting longer and longer would be an ok King story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

i saw every book that came into or went out of a barnes and noble for 8 years and i've never seen a trade paperback of pet sematary. also i was poor then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

900 pages? How droll.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is history's greatest crime that we only got six episodes of that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And there STILL isn't any kind of Region 1 video release.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Garth Marenghi rules and so does trying to explain it and its spinoff to people

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I read part of why they stopped is because it was so expensive to make due to the specialized editing and audio production required to make it sound like crap.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I read part of why they stopped is because it was so expensive to make due to the specialized editing and audio production required to make it sound like crap.

I remember the exact quote was "It cost so much to make it look so cheap."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tars Tarkas posted:

Garth Marenghi rules and so does trying to explain it and its spinoff to people

It has a spin-off?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

parallelodad posted:

It has a spin-off?

Man To Man With Dean Learner. I think Garth was even the first guest.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

It's okay

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I don't miss it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Detective No. 27 posted:

900 pages? How droll.

Pretty much Alan Moore's Jerusalem.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

And there STILL isn't any kind of Region 1 video release.

It's on streaming on Seeso. Which is also worth it because it has My Brother, My Brother and Me.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

muscles like this! posted:

It's on streaming on Seeso. Which is also worth it because it has My Brother, My Brother and Me.

On one hand: Seeso; on the other, at least it's available legitimately in the US, which it wasn't for a good few years after it aired on Adult Swim.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

wyoming posted:

Pretty much Alan Moore's Jerusalem.

That was the one he said he couldn't even lift, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FoneBone posted:

On one hand: Seeso; on the other, at least it's available legitimately in the US, which it wasn't for a good few years after it aired on Adult Swim.

They also have the aforementioned spin-off.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Please frequent your local library.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Pretty sure it's law that all Stephen King books have to be purchased in thrift stores or yard sales, wtf?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Pretty sure it's law that all Stephen King books have to be purchased in thrift stores or yard sales, wtf?
There are so many of them printed that picking up hardcovers for cheap isn't too hard outside of a few exceptions like the original Dark Tower hardcovers.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 7, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LesterGroans posted:

I got my copy of It from a yard sale for 50 cents, so yes!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Casimir Radon posted:

There are so many of them printed that picking up hardcovers for cheap isn't too hard outside of a few exceptions like the original Dark Tower hardcovers.

Yeah, I have most King books in paperback but if I see a hardcover at a thrift store that I think I don't have, I grab it.

Rirse posted:

I got my copy of It from a yard sale for 50 cents, so yes!

That's the poo poo.

I got my first King from a hospital waiting room and read most of his other work by grabbing them from yard sales. I think Bag of Bones was the first New King I bought.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm still trying to find a paperback version of the original The Gunslinger, with Michael Whelan's cover art.

I missed most of Kingchat, but goddamn do I wish more of his stuff got proper adaptations. I don't think anyone else in recent memory has done so much mass market weirdness, and I really want to see crazy poo poo like a kid traversing across time and space to talk to a giant turtle so he and his friends can defeat a murderclown.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 7, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The copy for It I have must been from the mid 90s, as it has Tim Curry's Pennywise on the box.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I seem to recall Hearts in Atlantic to be a decent movie but a terrible adaptation of the yellow raincoat story

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I actually got Under the Dome in hardcover because Walmart and Amazon got into a dick-waving contest over the pricing to the point where it was $10 at release from Amazon. It might be the last new physical book I've ever bought and at over a thousand pages long is probably the largest too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Mann posted:

I actually got Under the Dome in hardcover because Walmart and Amazon got into a dick-waving contest over the pricing to the point where it was $10 at release from Amazon. It might be the last new physical book I've ever bought and at over a thousand pages long is probably the largest too.

That'll come in super handy if someone breaks into your house and you need to block a machete attack and then beat them unconscious with a heavy blunt object

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 7, 2017

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

LesterGroans posted:

No, you're allowed to buy them at airport bookstores too, though Tom Clancy and John Grisham are preferred.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man To Man With Dean Learner. I think Garth was even the first guest.

Man to Man with Dean Learner has to have my favorite line, ever. It involves Dean going off on a rant about wet wipes.

Dean Learner posted:

It's very difficult to find a good quality wet-wipe in any case, because I took Satu to the Ivy recently, and I asked for a wet-wipe and they said 'We don't do wet-wipes.' I said, 'The gently caress you don't do wet-wipes! I'm paying two ton a head and you don't do loving wet-wipes?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Angry Salami posted:

No, you're allowed to buy them at airport bookstores too, though Tom Clancy and John Grisham are preferred.

Through does Crichton still get ghost written books like Clancy after his death? Or I just mixing up Clancy games that continue after his death?

• Locked thread