Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can't wait for the headline in the near future "Are Australians who don't read this shitrag newspaper UnAustralian?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Is treating women and minorities with respect a form of cultural hitlerism?"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

https://twitter.com/australian/status/860930771418263552

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
The Oz is hitting it out of the park lately :magical:

-----------------------------

Fairfax is doing pretty well too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
26 across, Jesus.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Speaking about Jesus

quote:

All of this has not gone down well with the conservative clergy. Glen Tattersall, a Melbourne priest and a member of the Australian Confraternity of Catholic Clergy, says Sullivan is cynically using the issue of child abuse to push his liberal agenda. “It’s really the liberal-minded and their fellow travellers who have been wrecking the church over a number of years and we’re just going to get more of the same,” says Tattersall. “In a way, ­Francis Sullivan strikes me as a kind of wannabe bishop, a lay bishop.”

The revelations of widespread child abuse exposed by the royal commission have largely been a hatchet job on the church, Tattersall ­contends. “I think people are quite angry about the way the church has been dealt with, actually,” he says. “They consider this has been pretty much a set-up.” Does he feel any guilt for the abuse that has taken place? “No, why should we be ashamed about something we didn’t do?”

Tattersall blames liberals within the church and homosexuals for the church’s woes. “If you’re saying, ‘Let’s have an all libertarian view to sexuality’ well then of course you’re going to get issues like this. Those who are more conservatively inclined, they’re the ones who are going to uphold the church’s teachings in this area.

“There are many people who are saying we need to lighten up about same-sex marriage, and same-sex relationships generally, and yet they’re railing against sexual abuse – that’s sexual abuse, isn’t it?” he insists. “If there’s a relationship between a priest and a boy in his late teens, how is it sexual abuse when a person is 16 or 17 and then it’s a wonderful relationship when you’re 19? I mean, it’s ridiculous.

“I think what’s been missed out in all of this is the link between homosexuality and abuse… Now, on the one hand, you have a situation where he [Sullivan] is promoting a loose sexuality and on the other hand he’s railing against sexual abuse. Well, to me that makes absolutely no sense; it’s contradictory.”

If Sullivan doesn’t like the Catholic Church the way it is, he should leave, Tattersall says, ­adding that there’s a church for married clergy and women in positions of power: “It’s called Anglicanism.” Does he think Sullivan is dangerous? “Put it this way, I don’t think he enjoys the confidence of the best priests in Australia… He strikes me as a typical post-Vatican-II bureaucrat. He’s paid a big salary, no doubt, and he’s going to push us all about. And he’s got his own ideas about what Catholicism is and it’s not helping the victims of sexual abuse. How’s it helping them?”

quote:

Broadcaster and prominent Catholic Geraldine Doogue says the abuse revelations made many Catholics feel like good Germans did after World War II. “They looked around and they could see the catastrophe that had occurred. They may not have believed they had any role in it, but the point is they were still German.”

She agrees with many of the things Sullivan is trying to achieve and says he is “utterly honourable”. But she thinks he should be telling a broader story. “The church in Australia is the greatest ­supplier of social welfare outside the ­government… I think Francis has decided that he can’t say anything good. It’s a tactic in my opinion. I applaud it [what he’s trying to achieve], but I don’t think it’s the whole story of the Catholic Church.”

Hmmmmm

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

loving counterpoint, you arsehole:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2017/may/1493560800/anne-manne/rape-among-lamingtons

Sure, not the One True Catholic Faith, so it must be bad apples in another barrel, right?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1318391841530707&id=464998863536680

Hmmmmm

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Recoome posted:

Speaking about Jesus

Hmmmmm

Glen Tattersall, a Melbourne priest and a member of the Australian Confraternity of Catholic Clergy... “If there’s a relationship between a priest and a boy in his late teens, how is it sexual abuse when a person is 16 or 17..."

“If there’s a relationship between a priest and a boy in his late teens, how is it sexual abuse when a person is 16 or 17..."

I don't think the institutional issues within the Catholic church have been dealt with.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Konomex posted:

I don't think the institutional issues within the Catholic church have been dealt with.

Reminder that these people feel threatened by the science they use everyday.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

President of Australia, damnit :argh:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just another brick in the wall of poo poo. Do we have any Xenophon apologists in the thread? If so please excuse:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/story-streams/federal-budget-2017/2017-05-07/federal-budget-2017-treasurer-confident-housing-approach/8504350

quote:

Xenophon deal sees pensioners get paid

The Treasurer also confirmed pensioners will receive a one-off payment before June 30 to help with rising electricity costs. Single people on the aged or disability pension will get $75, while couples will be paid $125. The payments were announced as part of a deal with South Australian Senator Nick Xenophon to pass the Government's company tax cuts. "It is there to support people going into this winter with electricity prices, that was the arrangement," Mr Morrison said.

AXE THE TAX! Thank gently caress we axed the carbon tax because now we can have avoidable low cost power. This government is obviously researching how to, not only kill satire, but also do the equivalent of a sonic ironic boom.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wasn't that deal made months ago

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

You used to call me: Cory Bernardi accuses media of ignoring him

Australian Conservatives senator says he was given a ‘bigger megaphone’ when he was a Liberal party maverick

Senator Cory Bernardi has claimed elements of the media are deliberately ignoring him since he split from the Liberal party to found the Australian Conservatives.

Bernardi told Sky News’ Outsiders on Sunday that the media had given him a “bigger megaphone” when he was a maverick or rebel in the Liberal party.

“That wasn’t making the changes necessary,” he said, defending his decision to quit the Liberals to form his own party in February. “There are elements of the media deliberately not giving us publicity or deliberately not calling us.

“I don’t know how newspapers can do stories about [section] 18C [of the Racial Discrimination Act] and not want to talk to the person who’s introduced two bills to reform 18C.”

Asked whether it was dishonourable to defect after being elected as a Liberal, Bernardi said he could “perfectly understand” the criticism.

“The question is: do you maintain the status quo? Everything changed after the last election. A million votes ran away from the Liberal party, and they’re not coming back.”

Bernardi said that he decided to leave the Liberal party to give voters a “principled and credible alternative” so they were not “abandoned” to vote for other crossbench parties.

He ruled out returning to the Liberal party, even if there were a change of leadership. “I don’t think the majority of disgruntled people will go back. [Leadership] is a transient thing, that’s a personality thing.

“What’s happened is the Liberal party has become corrupted. New South Wales is a closed shop, you cannot have discussion, you cannot have debate, you get thrown out if you dare criticise anyone.”

Asked to play word association with various public figures, Bernardi described Pauline Hanson as “resilient” and the Nationals leader, Barnaby Joyce, as “a good friend”.

Bernardi accepted that Joyce is conservative but said he was “constrained by being the deputy prime minister”.

He described Malcolm Turnbull only as “prime minister”. He said he was not a conservative and “probably” a centrist. “But, you know, I found him respectful, I’m going to give him full marks for that.”

Recalling his resistance in 2008 to Turnbull’s plan to support Labor’s emissions trading scheme when the Coalition was in opposition, Bernardi credited his former colleagues Joyce, the finance minister, Mathias Cormann, the employment minister, Michaelia Cash, and the communications minister, Mitch Fifield, for changing the opposition’s direction.

Bernardi reiterated his comments at the merger of Australian Conservatives and Family First that his party is “not about an individual” but the whole conservative community.

“We have to bring people into the tent because the left are very good at working together for the outcomes they want ... conservatives are generally much more individualistic.”

Bernardi said the Liberal party was supposed to be a “big tent” held up by the “oak pillars” of free enterprise, family and freedom. “Unfortunately, into the tent crept some termites and they’ve been gnawing away for a decade or more now.”

He said the party had been swept away by the “winds of populism” because it was not anchored by principles. He described his party as “a house built on strong foundations”.

“It’s going to welcome everybody who wants to be a part of the movement, but we’re laying that brick by brick.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/07/you-used-to-call-me-cory-bernardi-accuses-media-of-ignoring-him?CMP=share_btn_fb

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 7, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

“We have to bring people into the tent because the left are very good at working together for the outcomes they want ... conservatives are generally much more individualistic.”

:lol:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BBJoey posted:

wasn't that deal made months ago

It was

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That was my favourite part too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Senior management at Fairfax Media were on Sunday locked in urgent meetings after private equity outfit TPG Capital approached the company with an offer to buy its biggest assets.

:siren:TPG has offered to buy Fairfax's online real estate business Domain and the company's three big publishing mastheads - The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian Financial Review.:siren:

Play Video

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So TPG.... Becomes the new News Corp?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Who would ever want to own Domain

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
What would that even leave Fairfax? Canberra Times and a few local websites?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

Who would ever want to own Domain

Domain is the profitable bit silly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Domain is the profitable bit silly.

This. They spun it out into its own business so that SMH/The Age don't take it down in the explosion.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Welcome to the Murdoch press you loving idiot. Like, did you think all the press you were getting when you were espousing Liberal talking points was due to your great speaking skills?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yes having a coffee at coffee club is the ultimate in oh lala extravagence that a normal working man would never indulge in.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Any true son of Britain would never touch the devil's brew! It's those drat degos coming over here, making all our people drink that effeminate swill!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Lol at qld labor poking fingers at anyone for being out of touch

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JBP posted:

This. They spun it out into its own business so that SMH/The Age don't take it down in the explosion.

I meant morally

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

As opposed to being the party which campaigned on saving the reef but instead allowed the mine to go ahead??

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Question still stands

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

Yes having a coffee at coffee club is the ultimate in oh lala extravagence that a normal working man would never indulge in.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/owen-smith-normal-coffee

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

What's a Turnbill.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

I meant morally

Morality? Buy?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Morality? Buy?

Ethical capitalism, friend

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

By the assets, loot it, split them up and sell the individual bits to suckers. AKA Alan Bond and how Dick Smith ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Comstar posted:

By the assets, loot it, split them up and sell the individual bits to suckers. AKA Alan Bond and how Dick Smith ended.

I dunno, news is increasingly online these days, maybe being a telecommunications company they see some synergy or something? They've been thoroughly run into the ground so they'd be a bargain

• Locked thread