Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

I love your battle reports.

Wulfen can get absolutely 100% hosed. I'm due to play a gently caress You 7th Edition game against known non-poster ShadowDaishi later today, and I expect to get murder-hosed by dickhead werewolfs and his rear end in a top hat jets, so that's gonna be fun.

Thanks! Good luck in your game against Daesh later. I suspect it won't do any good though and you'll just get your dick beaten in.

I may eventually look into doing a "big fuckoff axe" Bloodthirster once I've caught up more on my backlog (lol), but the good news about 8th doing away with Strength D is that I don't have to worry about that so much because he may not be so good that he's a "must-have". The thing about the one I built--the basic bitch bloodthirster model--is that it's the one you can summon using blood tithe points, which is why I built him. I probably should have had him take on the Nobz, but he was too far away for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

I think most of us have probably bought digital ebooks. My own experience is that they're fine. There aren't any issues that I've seen with formatting or quality. You definitely lose out of the ability to page through your rulebook and the pictures end up being smaller and less neat looking, but those are problems with every ebook ever.

I'm debating between finding an actual GW store and buying the Shadow War book vs going digital. Does GW electronically update their publications when they find errata?

Also is there a central location for all the extra SWA content GW has released?

I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks! Good luck in your game against Daesh later. I suspect it won't do any good though and you'll just get your dick beaten in.

I fully expect this to be another humiliating defeat, both from him wholesale murking every model I have, and clowning on me irl while he does it. Good dude, but also, a complete motherfucker.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

The only good Seattle sports fan is a dead one.

Salamnders 4 lyfe

How are people like this allowed to live? Insanely bad opinions about sports and space marines

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
The iBook versions are great with the ability to zoom on pics, they get updated (shadow war book has all the extra stuff they've released), links to relevant rules, etc.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
New update: Bigass models
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/07/new-warhammer-40000-big-stuff-may7gw-homepage-post-4/

e: Superheavies and GCs are gone. Knights have more than 20 wounds, most big Tyranids have 12+

e2:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm debating between finding an actual GW store and buying the Shadow War book vs going digital. Does GW electronically update their publications when they find errata?

Also is there a central location for all the extra SWA content GW has released?

I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

Your closest store is probably the Springfield, VA one however it's almost a literal hole-in-the-wall. It's in an old strip mall made out of a segmented former Tower Records.

Was there ever a side discussion set up for DMV goons wanting to do some SWA or "goodbye 7th" games?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/07/new-warhammer-40000-big-stuff-may7gw-homepage-post-4/

e: Superheavies and GCs are gone. Knights have more than 20 wounds, most big Tyranids have 12+

e2:

You just reminded me of a thing from their livestream Q&A where they said Knights had the most wounds. Clearly they forgot Stompas were a thing. Doesn't bode well for Orks...

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Don't like the 'almost' as a qualifier for the idea that big dudes can't be taken out in one shot anymore. Means there is something that can take 18 wounds off in a single shot.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Stormsurge in 7th has 4d6 missiles right? So in theory its possible to do 24 wounds with one shooting attack, but it will be an incredibly rare event.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Miles O'Brian posted:

Don't like the 'almost' as a qualifier for the idea that big dudes can't be taken out in one shot anymore. Means there is something that can take 18 wounds off in a single shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAPmtTi8lc

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So in 8th edition, if a giant blob of cultists attacks a hive tyrant and somehow they all hit and wound, does the entire squad only cause one wound on the tyrant, or does it take as many wounds as it receives?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

So in 8th edition, if a giant blob of cultists attacks a hive tyrant and somehow they all hit and wound, does the entire squad only cause one wound on the tyrant, or does it take as many wounds as it receives?

Pretty sure they take as many wounds as they recieve. But the odds of that are pretty astromical and I'd say they loving deserve if that if they get that lucky.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
As many as it receives. What makes you think it'd be only one?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I dunno, the way they worded their heavy weapon wound allocation rules in one of the blog posts was a bit weird.

So what happens when a giant blob of cultists attacks a hive tyrant with autoguns in 8th edition, going off what we know?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

I dunno, the way they worded their heavy weapon wound allocation rules in one of the blog posts was a bit weird.

So what happens when a giant blob of cultists attacks a hive tyrant with autoguns in 8th edition, going off what we know?

You'd be able to wound it, but the odds of wounding it, let alone killing it, are extraordinarily low. It's the Lasguns Popping a Land Raider example again.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Most likely the giant blob of cultists will need 6s to wound and the Tyrant will have a 3+ save and maybe a FNP or similar, with 12 wounds or so, so they may knock a few wounds off but unless you're really lucky it won't go down.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

goose willis posted:

They'd check range, then all roll to hit (off of their BS), then to wound (based on S vs T), then the Hive Tyrant would roll it's saves (subject to any save modifiers their guns might have, or from the Hive Tyrant being in cover) and take a wound for every save it failed (or multiple wounds for each, if the guns did more than one damage per hit). Probably it would lose some wounds and not die, but lmao Tyranids, so who knows.

This remains the greatest thing any of these threads have ever produced.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goose willis posted:

I think you're getting confused about the Lascannon which does a high number of wounds but specifically to a single model. So it could hit for like 8 wounds but only kill a single 1 would infantry guy.

Wound allocation in general is as many hits you can roll and get through saves go into the unit.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

e2:

quote:

We’ve also gotten rid of specific rules for Gargantuan Creatures and Super-heavy vehicles. Instead, these units will have a suitably impressive statline, but still play by the same rules as everyone else. This also means that those units that previously sat just shy of Super-heavy status, and missed out on bunch of special rules because of it, will now be appropriately killy and durable.
It's nice to see them realise this was an issue. Seeing a C'tan using GC rules while Trygons shuffled around the table at 6" per turn was silly.

The Dreadnought stats they previewed didn't have any * values on it, so I'm wondering if models around Dread/Carnifex-size won't have damage tables at all. Those could just be for larger oval-based monsters / tanks / super-heavies to keep track of.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh I see, that makes more sense. Thanks.

So do S and T work any differently now that they can go way past 6? Like, S8 against T8 is just gonna be a 4+ save?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's not a save, but that sounds like it'll be the case. 4+ is basically just a coinflip, which makes sense if they're even.

What I'm generally not sure about at all, is whether S3 will be able to hurt T8 at all, or if it'll be one of those 7+ things where you have to roll a 6, and then get another 4+ after the fact in order to actually wound something, instead of bottoming out on 6+.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

The Dreadnought stats they previewed didn't have any * values on it, so I'm wondering if models around Dread/Carnifex-size won't have damage tables at all. Those could just be for larger oval-based monsters / tanks / super-heavies to keep track of.

Wow, good catch. I bet you're right. That will cut down on some of the bookkeeping I've been worried about.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I hope they do the 7+ thing for large imbalances between S and T. Capping it at 6+ made some monsters in WHFB 8th pretty fragile (ones that relied on a high T and didn't have much of a save like the TK ones).

I'm also hoping this means that the 'smash' type rules for MCs are gone and they'll have to rely on actual weapons to get their AP, meaning the big Tau suits no longer automatically wreck face in CC.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The indications so far are that S v T just caps out at 6+

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That Tyrant example's not really the best either. Cultists are S3 and the Tyrant is T6. Cultists could always hurt it on a 6+. T7 is where they lost out.

Tyranids haven't had any T7 monsters for a long time. :negative:. Hopefully we see some real changes to their stats in 8th.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I really hope in a few days, these previews become "here is a unit snippet from X faction!" With how critical stats and abilities are, these rules become increasingly hard to discuss the merits of in a vacuum.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

I really hope in a few days, these previews become "here is a unit snippet from X faction!" With how critical stats and abilities are, these rules become increasingly hard to discuss the merits of in a vacuum.

Wouldn't surprise me if they do a daily "This is what each faction is getting/changing" in the final run up to the release.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Bee posted:

They confirmed each faction would be getting a preview article in time. Gotta do something to fill in the next 30+ days

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It would be cool if Wraithlords had a reason to exist but I guess revised big man rules are only part of that equation.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

xtothez posted:

They confirmed each faction would be getting a preview article in time. Gotta do something to fill in the next 30+ days

Probably right now!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/07/faction-focus-chaos-space-marines/

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Jesus. Are they reading the thread?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

No profiles, and no real information of any sort besides "This is gonna be so cool guys!". Meh. :effort:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm pretty sure at least one of the Community guys lurks here.

Disappointed that we didn't get anything concrete, but admitting "These units sucked, we've fixed their problems and they should work as intended" is a nice gesture.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, as much as I like the spirit behind these, I wish we had crunch to back up the optimism. We got some ability and keyword hints, and minor weapon highlights, but it's all kinda secondhand.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

I'm pretty sure at least one of the Community guys lurks here.

Dear Community Guy/Girl That Lurks Here,

This stuff is all great but we need a launch date soon or you might run the risk of hitting hype fatigue.

I think everyone excited, we would like to play it sometime.

Thanks!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I have no idea who this guy is but he writes with zero substance and his writing style makes me want to give him a wedgie

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Mathhammer time

It is theoretically possible to drop the morkanaut with 3 lascannon shots

On average assuming no cover mod it'd take something like 13.8 bs4 or 18.5 bs3 lascannon shots to kill

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Mathhammer time

It is theoretically possible to drop the morkanaut with 3 lascannon shots

On average assuming no cover mod it'd take something like 13.8 bs4 or 18.5 bs3 lascannon shots to kill

That's pretty drat survivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

goose willis posted:

I have no idea who this guy is but he writes with zero substance and his writing style makes me want to give him a wedgie

He's a game store owner who co-runs the largest singles GT in the country, possibly internationally. He's very wedgieable. He's never been a good writer, but their twice weekly news review show is listenable.

• Locked thread