Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Hasn't Matt Mercer also been playing Kanji ever since Troy Baker blew up and got too expensive?

Yep. I think starting with the anime, but also in Persona 4 Arena and Dancing All Night.

Hunt11 posted:

The smartest move that was made in how Persona 5 was developed is the way they handled Joker. The previous main characters felt more like passive outsiders who despite moving the story forward felt closer to plot devices then living breathing parts of the world. Joker though feels truly part of the world, in part due to having more chances to make conversation choices, but also to how the world reacts to him. Instead of being the focus of some mild interest, almost everybody around him just gives shits on him for the most bullshit of reasons. Add to that mix having what got him in trouble being an act that should be applauded by society and instead sees his life being almost completely ruined and it feels natural to care about him as a character.

Joker's my favorite Persona protagonist so far and I think what you outlined there is probably a good part of why. I also appreciate how much personality he has while being mostly silent and subject to the player's dialog choices. And his flair for the theatrical when he's in costume as Joker is a lot of fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

Hasn't Matt Mercer also been playing Kanji ever since Troy Baker blew up and got too expensive?

I'd read that it was that he went and joined a union and that was that for him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Joker is the best Persona MC since Tatsuya and a lot of it is because he doesn't look like a huge dingus like P3 and P4 did and his dialogue options are actually funny

potion seller......im going into volleyball battle...... and i need your strongest potions.....

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Joker's my favorite Persona protagonist so far and I think what you outlined there is probably a good part of why. I also appreciate how much personality he has while being mostly silent and subject to the player's dialog choices. And his flair for the theatrical when he's in costume as Joker is a lot of fun.

Also the last two protagonists were pretty blase whereas nearly all of Joker's dialogue options paint him as a terse, deadpan jackass, and I appreciate that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the fact that the third-person narration boxes are replaced with Joker's first-person thoughts, so you get a bit more in his head. I really think the increased characterization was to give them more to work with on the chance that P5 gets spinoffs like P4 so they don't have to pull a personality out of thin air.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also the fact that the third-person narration boxes are replaced with Joker's first-person thoughts, so you get a bit more in his head. I really think the increased characterization was to give them more to work with on the chance that P5 gets spinoffs like P4 so they don't have to pull a personality out of thin air.

The internal thoughts also sort of help the player separate themselves from Joker, which I actually think is a good thing. I don't want the Persona protagonist to be an extension of myself--I want him to be his own character that I get to put a spin on. The fact that the narration ("you did this" or "you felt this") is replaced with an inner monologue ("I did this" or "I felt this") helps to accomplish that.

Oxxidation posted:

Also the last two protagonists were pretty blase whereas nearly all of Joker's dialogue options paint him as a terse, deadpan jackass, and I appreciate that.

The spinoffs better characterize Joker as the kind of person who'd pick "We hate the cops" and "Time to button mash."

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

It's unlikely, but I hope next Persona game, the protagonist is just a speaking character like everyone else.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Does Shadow Calculus work on new enemies or does it just pull analysis information from stuff you already know? Not that it matters yet since I need 5 charm first.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I hope in P6 there are fewer puzzles because why.

Happy Birthday Akechi-kun :v:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
yeah wow I'm in october and i haven't even started devil yet and i'm cockblocked by the charm requirement on makoto's confidant

guess I'm waiting on ng+!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alder posted:

Happy Birthday Akechi-kun :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Deleter posted:

yeah wow I'm in october and i haven't even started devil yet and i'm cockblocked by the charm requirement on makoto's confidant

Devil gives you charm for rank ups. :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Deleter posted:

You have plenty of time if you grind stats on empty days. The worst SL are ones that start extremely late like Haru :shrug:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I never played Persona 3 and I only watched the Persona 4 endurance run, but it feels like allmost of the non-party member social links in this game are so much loving better than Persona 4. Most of them just feel like they have so much higher stakes and are just a lot more interesting. Persona 4's social links just feel so loving boring. Plus it helps that all social links give big benefits as well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ChaosArgate posted:

Devil gives you charm for rank ups. :v:

Yeah, best way to get Charm from there is to just rush her to 4 and then work on something else since she doesn't give you Charm after that until rank 7.

Each Confidant that gives stats does it on specific ranks, rather than all of them and by default there's no way of knowing if you're going to get the stat boost or not. Emphasis on by default:

Ohya (Devil) gives Charm on ranks 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8;
Yoshida (Sun) gives Charm on ranks 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10;
Sojiro (Hierophant) gives Kindness on ranks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7;
Shinya (Tower) gives Kindness on ranks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8;
Iwai (Hanged Man) gives Proficiency on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10;
Takemi (Death) gives Guts on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8;
Hifumi (Star) gives Knowledge on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ahahahaha, so that's the context for that screenshot of Ann! gently caress me!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Count me in as another guy who looks like he gonna come short of the 90 hours some people seem to be getting. I skip a bunch of voiced dialogue and I've just had the big school festival reveals. Sitting at about 45 hours and the game feels like 3/4ths done.

Like I'm not complaining because it's been a fantastic 45 and they'd have to work really hard to ruin it now, but 90 feels like it would need insane padding to reach.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I never played Persona 3 and I only watched the Persona 4 endurance run, but it feels like allmost of the non-party member social links in this game are so much loving better than Persona 4. Most of them just feel like they have so much higher stakes and are just a lot more interesting. Persona 4's social links just feel so loving boring. Plus it helps that all social links give big benefits as well.

All of the slinks in 5, even the bad ones, are reciprocal and support what you are doing in the metaverse whereas in p3 and p4 I'd probably be overly generous in saying that maybe a quarter of them are relevant to the plot. They also integrate with the endgame in a much more satisfying way than in the previous games.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pierson posted:

Count me in as another guy who looks like he gonna come short of the 90 hours some people seem to be getting. I skip a bunch of voiced dialogue and I've just had the big school festival reveals. Sitting at about 45 hours and the game feels like 3/4ths done.

Like I'm not complaining because it's been a fantastic 45 and they'd have to work really hard to ruin it now, but 90 feels like it would need insane padding to reach.

I will probably finish in 80 hrs since I'm already at 56 hrs before 7th palace and I didn't skip any VA. I'm going to assume the people who had 100+ hrs spent all the extra time in Mementos or farming personas for Strenght SL.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fixed.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Letting VO play out, regularly talking to NPCs around town and not always using fast travel all make a big difference. My completed save was over 100 hours even though I did basically no grinding and avoided Mementos as much as possible.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i dont get why his hair looks like this in the portrait but kinda different on his model

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
please DONT

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

this but with kaneshiro because HOLY gently caress he's got a tiny face

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

spit on my clit posted:

this but with kaneshiro because HOLY gently caress he's got a tiny face

thats because he fat

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you didn't use fast travel and instead spent all your time in that clusterfuck of a train station then just lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ᴵ ᵃᵐ ᵗʰᵉ ᵏᶦᶰᵍ, ᵃᶰᵈ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᶦˢ ᵐʸ ᶜᵃˢᵗᶫᵉ﹗

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you didn't use fast travel and instead spent all your time in that clusterfuck of a train station then just lol

:same:

I hate going into the city and would give my soul for a fast travel from my home to GCT.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I'm playing P4G and my Yu Narukami called Souji Seta because it sounds better is the least interested person in absolutely everything and it makes it all better. "What do you think about my hypothesis?" "I don't care." "Who's your type? Chie or Yukiko?" "I'd rather drink paint"

Letting the dickheads on his investigation team do all the mind work while he just strolls in and owns everything in a fight is the way to play this game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alder posted:

:same:

I hate going into the city and would give my soul for a fast travel from my home to GCT.

Fast travel is honestly the superpower I fantasize about having the most.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think P4 had a little bit more personality that P5, but made the mistake of assigning funny lines to the game's narration and not attaching those lines to Yu himself. Portal to the meat dimension is a goddamn hilarious line, but if that existed in P5 it would have been Joker saying it himself. Initially during the tutorial stage of the game I disliked that Joker was getting so much dialogue until I realized that P5 really doesn't even try to pitch him as a silent protagonist, but he works really well as a result. They also did a better job of working around his dialogue choices, where now in my second playthrough I'm picking dialogue options I didn't the first time and people are actually reacting to them, as opposed to the game giving you three options that all lead to the same responses from other characters like P3/4 did so often.

I've been seeing some complaints that the cast in this game is weaker than P4s and people are disappointed, and while on a fundamental level they're sort of right, the reasons the cast feels weaker is because they made decisions about how to portray the cast that make the game better as a whole. P4 had SO MUCH time that was spend on just random poo poo that had nothing to do with anything, and while this did a good job developing the cast, it really gave the game an inconsistent tone. One minute your friend is hanging dead from a TV antennae and your party member's best friend has been kidnapped, then two days later you're on a knee-slapping camping trip. In P5, almost every single thing the cast does and talks about somehow contributes to the idea of the Phantom Thieves, the character's motivations, or what they think the Phantom Thieves should be or represent. The game feels much more conscious of the tones and themes that it wanted to be about, and used every opportunity to develop the characters within those regards. As a result, we get less time where we get to see the characters having carefree fun and going on whacky adventures, but at the same time, P5 feels like a game where the characters have too much at stake to be acting that carelessly, and it makes the plot of the game feel much more focused and the supernatural elements feel like a natural extension of what the cast was already experiencing, as opposed to P4's supernatural reveal which felt lazily tacked-on.

e: that being said about the cast, even the worst social link in this game is better than 95% of the social links in P3/4, and every party member's social link is better than their counterpart's social link in previous games (Ryuji > Junpei > Yosuke, Ann > Yukari > Chie, etc.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Whoof. Completed Palace #2 on Hard, beating my boss by the skin of my teeth. I don't know if all those recovery items were an efficient use of money, but I sure as hell used up most of them. Do you get any benefit from bringing Yusuke to the fight? I left him on the bench because he didn't have Baton Pass yet, foolishly forgetting that you just don't get to crit bosses or exploit their weaknesses for some reason.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The social inks feel better overall simply because they managed to make them actually interact with the story at large along with giving them game benefits besides just fusing persona without making you feel like you're losing out if you don't do them.

The only one that should be switched would be the reporter and it should be Lala instead.

Also haru is a pretty boring party member.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anyone who thinks P5's cast, party or social links, are weaker than P4's probably has a severe case of rose tinted glasses.

From my playthrough, there's not a single non-party member link who isn't a principal cast member that's interesting in P4 up until after you finish Kanji's link. (That's where I'm at. I don't recall it enough to say otherwise).
None of the party links are interesting either and they're not especially interesting characters outside of those links. Yosuke is basically Mishima but he's in every god-drat scene. Chie is suddenly very shrill and uninteresting, Yukiko exists, I guess, I'm not sure though.

Yumi, Kou, the Mom Eri are serious snoozers. Compare that to P5 at the same point and you have the generally much more interesting party members, Tae, Kawakami's window just opening up.

Not to say P4's a bad game, it ain't but going back to it from P5 shows it up in a lot of ways.

Speaking of the gently caress Yosuke Hanamishima s.link I have going on right now, I despise his bobble headed parkinson's battle animations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I unlocked the hideout. Im pretty far in the game? Im going to lobotomize that loving voleyball teacher!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Haru starts off seeming boring, but if you stick with her for three dungeons, some mementos conversations and a social link you'll realise she's actually really interesting. Basically the exact opposite of Ann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would love for Haru to have more story beats in game. The S.Link would still have to be pretty late barring a major rewrite but at least you should meet her maybe near the beginning of summer? The same way Makoto starts featuring into the story during the second dungeon storyline