Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm happy for DT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
can't wait for the Red Hood vs Joker Dialogue.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

can't wait for the Red Hood vs Joker Dialogue.

"So are you from another universe or are you a hallucination?"
"You know, I'm honestly a little unclear myself..."

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
"Nice costume, kid, where'd ya get the idea?"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Just realized that somebody on the stream said he was one of the silhouettes. Can't believe Raiden works at NRS.

FunkMonkey posted:

Does DS seem reasonably on the level, or is he preorder character broken and I'll get sneered out of the room for using him. I ask for the sake of my sensitive babyman feelings.

I thought this too until they did the Darkseid/Cheetah matchup. He has some powerful poo poo but faster characters will be able to get the drop on him. Darkseid has teleports and and a great beam attack but no real rushdown or very fast responses so it could be evened out.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 6, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

DLC Inc posted:

Just realized that somebody on the stream said he was one of the silhouettes. Can't believe Raiden works at NRS.

I thought this too until they did the Darkseid/Cheetah matchup. He has some powerful poo poo but faster characters will be able to get the drop on him. Darkseid has teleports and and a great beam attack but no real rushdown or very fast responses so it could be evened out.

I'm stoked to get my hands on him in two weeks. Also like the toxx avatar - that's probably as dignified as it's going to get.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jim Lee's Sub Zero design

And his Scorpion for completion's sake

I think Scorpion is the better of the two. Sub Zero would be a lot better without the Ice, er, spikes?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Ice spikes will probably be swapped out with gear so it'll be fine.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Who gives a poo poo about Sub-Zero, look how sick Captain Cold is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvYEqblYo-8

I like the looks of that overhead ice/low kick mixup.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fadam posted:

Who gives a poo poo about Sub-Zero, look how sick Captain Cold is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvYEqblYo-8

as a flash fan you have no idea how hype I am to gently caress with captain cold

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jim Lee's Sub Zero design

And his Scorpion for completion's sake

I think Scorpion is the better of the two. Sub Zero would be a lot better without the Ice, er, spikes?

I don't understand why the pipes on his mask need to go through the sides of the hoodie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm very sad that DT is happy.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fadam posted:

Having played many sets back in the day against the best spec ops Cassie player in the world in mkx(spec ops cassie being the master of that exact style of setup), I can tell you that dudes mixup is not that good. Easily backdashed, injustice has actual invincible on wakeup moves unlike MKX. One of the big parts of why it worked so well in MKX is there was no real invincibility on everything, it was always armour, which means the multiple hits would always wreck it.

You can still bait out reversals and poo poo but it just makes the threat quite a bit less just because its possible even to begin with.

*ed*

And for those not in the more competitive side of things, Punk, the current top sf5 player was ballying about how he can body all NRS players for free, including sonic fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9wR_jtUg0A

Someone took him up on it, and Punk got 10-0'ed in a first to 10 so that's always fun.

At least it wasn't 13-0 in a first to 10, as that is possible in nrs games :shobon:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wanna play some grodd

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 7, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Darkseid and Grodd look right up my alley, I love big bruisers with some ranged options and short combos. I've only been playing Injustice 1 for a few days and haven't gone through the whole roster yet but so far Solomon Grundy is totally my jam.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

And for those not in the more competitive side of things, Punk, the current top sf5 player was ballying about how he can body all NRS players for free, including sonic fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9wR_jtUg0A

Someone took him up on it, and Punk got 10-0'ed in a first to 10 so that's always fun.

It's almost like different fighting games have different mechanics behind them and getting into sneering superiority contests over who likes to play what is completely asinine.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

FunkMonkey posted:

It's almost like different fighting games have different mechanics behind them and getting into sneering superiority contests over who likes to play what is completely asinine.

Yeah

But its never going to stop. Gonna be extra bad soon with SF5 in kinda a series low point due to a variety of reasons, and Inj2 rising as its very mechanically solid and will reward street fighter styled fundamentals more than street fighter 5 does right now, which is kinda sad :(

Expect a lot of poo poo slinging from both communities at each other.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I kind of wanted to watch it just to see how a very skilled player at another game handled this one and how well their preconceptions could translate, but I got as far as "I'M NOT HERE TO HAVE FUN" before I rolled my eyes and closed it.

Like you know there's such a thing as friendly competition, right? Not everything has to be some vital test of your self worth, least of all this. Just have fun with it, for God's sake.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

FunkMonkey posted:

I kind of wanted to watch it just to see how a very skilled player at another game handled this one and how well their preconceptions could translate, but I got as far as "I'M NOT HERE TO HAVE FUN" before I rolled my eyes and closed it.

Like you know there's such a thing as friendly competition, right? Not everything has to be some vital test of your self worth, least of all this. Just have fun with it, for God's sake.

Have you literally never heard trash talk before

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I mean that was more 'Make yourself look like an enormous douche' talk.

A good watch though. :allears:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 7, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
That guy has the most unbearable nerd voice

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm not so pathetically insecure as to feel compelled to insult and demean someone else unprovoked, least of all over a meaningless leisure activity, nor do I see it as an admirable or entertaining trait in others. It's especially hard to take seriously when

Jimmy Hats posted:

That guy has the most unbearable nerd voice

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Punk's whole brand is that he's kind of a dick. If you watch the whole video he's pretty clearly just joking around and everyone seems to be having a good time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's a fighting game where you literally beat up the other player, heaven forbid you say anything leaning towards negative to them in anyway.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

FunkMonkey posted:

I'm not so pathetically insecure as to feel compelled to insult and demean someone else unprovoked, least of all over a meaningless leisure activity, nor do I see it as an admirable or entertaining trait in others. It's especially hard to take seriously when

drat you must feel really virtuous taking down a kid for his manner of speaking that he has no control over, all because he engaged in petty friendly trashtalk during a competitive activity.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

drat you must feel really virtuous taking down a kid for his manner of speaking that he has no control over, all because he engaged in petty friendly trashtalk during a competitive activity.

Judging by the sentiment here I should think I would be lauded for it. As you like though, clearly I'm in the minority on this and I won't say anything further. He may work his "brand" to his heart's content.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Punk rules and if you watch the whole thing they're just playing around and having fun, everyone knows he doesn't mean the things he's saying.

He reserves the REAL hate for people like Flash Metroid

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah I don't know how you could watch that video and think there's any animosity there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah

But its never going to stop. Gonna be extra bad soon with SF5 in kinda a series low point due to a variety of reasons, and Inj2 rising as its very mechanically solid and will reward street fighter styled fundamentals more than street fighter 5 does right now, which is kinda sad :(

Expect a lot of poo poo slinging from both communities at each other.

SFV at a low point as Injustice2, Tekken 7, and Guilty Gear Rev2 all drop is especially funny. I can't wait to have like 3 fighting games on rotation once I'm done with Prey and also maybe get better with Tekken.

As boring as I think Red Hood or Enchantress could be for DLC at least it isn't on the level of "backround characters, Colin and Ed" as your game's expansion slots

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Punk rules and if you watch the whole thing they're just playing around and having fun, everyone knows he doesn't mean the things he's saying.

He reserves the REAL hate for people like Flash Metroid

Maybe I just don't know him well enough and I rushed to judgment. If that's true then I apologize. And you're right that mocking his voice was petty of me and wrong - a defensive reaction on my part that does me no credit. The whole lack of sportsmanship thing is a personal pet peeve of mine and I'm sensitive to it. I feel like the insults just don't add to the fun and I don't see why people find it entertaining. Maybe I'm just soft.

Edit: I am extremely excited for Tekken 7 and look forward to dusting off my stick for it. Hopefully SFV can pull itself out of whatever slump you all say it's in - don't play it so I wouldn't know.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 7, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not as down on SF V as other people on this forum (although I barely watch it and I haven't played it in over a year so maybe I am), but I feel like short of completely gutting it and re-releasing it (which they specifically said they're never going to do) there's nothing they can do to fix it.

More and more people at my weekly are picking up Xrd, and I'm hoping that people will start to play Injustce and Tekken when they come out too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

It's a fighting game where you literally beat up the other player, heaven forbid you say anything leaning towards negative to them in anyway.

Light hearted taunting is tame as poo poo for the fighting game community anyways. This is the same community filled with openly racist and sexist players who also bully kids that win Smash Brother tournaments.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Punk's voice kinda bugs me too but A) not like the dude can help it it doesn't seem to be an affectation or anything, and B) his trash talk was hilariously tame 'gonna be a nice friendly match...where I body you' stuff that I assure you anyone who's a major SF player has heard far worse than.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Light hearted taunting is tame as poo poo for the fighting game community anyways. This is the same community filled with openly racist and sexist players who also bully kids that win Smash Brother tournaments.

Ya I'm just pointing out where your goal is to basically make the game as unfun as possible for your opponent it's not unlikely that a few words of discouragement are going to eek out in one form or another. Unless that game is sitting around drunk mashing buttons with your best pals, but seriously, even then expect some poo poo to fly.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I feel like you're painting with a pretty broad brush here. Its not "filled" with anything.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Trash talk like that is all in good fun for competitive games in general. Probably for comparative anything. It gets people into the spirit more and makes them hungrier to beat you. You get a better fight out of dungeons who wants to beat you specifically than you do someone who just liked the friendly competition.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

Trash talk like that is all in good fun for competitive games in general. Probably for comparative anything. It gets people into the spirit more and makes them hungrier to beat you. You get a better fight out of dungeons who wants to beat you specifically than you do someone who just liked the friendly competition.

I don't agree with you. You don't need to be an rear end to someone to inspire them to do better and try harder - if anything it will more often than not serve to drive people away and discourage them, in my experience. People can act like that if they want, but I'll have no part of it personally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fadam posted:

I feel like you're painting with a pretty broad brush here. Its not "filled" with anything.

Only if you're choosing to ignore it then sure it's not filled with anything.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Only if you're choosing to ignore it then sure it's not filled with anything.

I'm not ignoring anything, you're looking at like three people and calling an entire community racist and sexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

trash talk: it's good

• Locked thread