Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Your Taint posted:

Congrats, France, for not being as loving stupid as Americans or the British.

Between Trump and Brexit those are the lowest bars to clear, but still, you did better than the worst possible thing, which we couldn't. So you've earned your smugness I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he names his cabinet.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kurtofan posted:

lol robert hue

former secretary of the french communist party saying that poo poo
Please translate that into an international language.

Kurtofan posted:

usually old leftists become racist, the first time i see them become neoliberal as hell
I thought neoliberalism was invented by Trots?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Baroin is in full dickhead mode tonight

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah the nervous wreck neoliberals calling leftists frenchmen traitors for using their right like they weren't living in a stupidly poo poo country like America or the UK totally wasn't loving cringy as gently caress, the last two weeks. Also it's not over, it's never loving over. But if the Dutch elections are a fair show, you people don't care and won't care for years until you wake up one morning with Lepen again on the second turn but with better hopes this time and then you will ask us "why?" and "how?". The answer will invariably be "because you guys are greedy bitches who are destroying a world you don't understand and empower fascists".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sean10mm posted:

Between Trump and Brexit those are the lowest bars to clear, but still, you did better than the worst possible thing, which we couldn't. So you've earned your smugness I guess!

It's like being impressed that an adult has managed to not poo poo themselves. Not impressive, but when two other grown adults have just sprayed runny poo poo all over the place, you're happy that the mess isn't getting worse.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My only wish for the Legislatives is that Eric Ciotti loses his seat and we never see him again

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please translate that into an international language.

I thought neoliberalism was invented by Trots?

you won't get my Quality Translator's skills, only my quick and dirty translator turd

"Macron's victory is a great youthful renewal for our country and europe"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kurtofan posted:

lol robert hue

former secretary of the french communist party saying that poo poo

usually old leftists become racist, the first time i see them become neoliberal as hell

Being so petty you can't team up with liberals to stop fascists was the mistake of the German communist party

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah the nervous wreck neoliberals calling leftists frenchmen traitors for using their right like they weren't living in a stupidly poo poo country like America or the UK totally wasn't loving cringy as gently caress, the last two weeks. Also it's not over, it's never loving over. But if the Dutch elections are a fair show, you people don't care and won't care for years until you wake up one morning with Lepen again on the second turn but with better hopes this time and then you will ask us "why?" and "how?". The answer will invariably be "because you guys are greedy bitches who are destroying a world you don't understand and empower fascists".

i feel happy for the sad american liberals on my twitter feed

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i think 'ill take muslims over being weirdo american vassal state

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Colliding with ANTIFA is rather concerning

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Quorum posted:

Being so petty you can't team up with liberals to stop fascists was the mistake of the German communist party

Please stop repeating trite liberal talking points. Liberals literally named Hitler chancellor.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

you won't get my Quality Translator's skills, only my quick and dirty translator turd

"Macron's victory is a great youthful renewal for our country and europe"
Thank you. Sounds like a true defender of the working man.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Macron already coddling Le Pen's electorate in his victory speech.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

What I don't understand about European populists is how easily they go from "muslim minorities are a problem" to "if we don't go full fascism now the Shariah Apocalypse is upon us".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Macron already coddling Le Pen's electorate in his victory speech.

at least they vote :v: its a joke but its probably the reason

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 7, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ekster posted:

What I don't understand about European populists is how easily they go from "muslim minorities are a problem" to "if we don't go full fascism now the Shariah Apocalypse is upon us".

That's because the first sentiment is and always has been a code for the second, you're not seeing an escalation, you're seeing an unmasking.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LydiaBurrell/status/861296157817008128

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

It's even better when you realise that's actually his cartoon about the Paris terror attacks.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ekster posted:

Trump's rhetoric was much more extreme than Le Pen's, but since he is a senile mentally handicapped manchild and nobody takes anything he says serious it wasn't such a big issue.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Kurtofan posted:

i think 'ill take muslims over being weirdo american vassal state

That post is peak "I played 500 hours of Crusader Kings 2 so now I know how government works."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Seeing these reactions is the silver lining. :unsmith:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Trump's rhetoric was much more extreme than Le Pen's, but since he is a senile mentally handicapped manchild and nobody takes anything he says serious it wasn't such a big issue.

Yeah not saying Trump is fundamentally different, but here in the Netherlands we have Wilders screaming "ISLAMIZATION" for the past 12 years or so to the point where I can't take anything he says seriously. When Trump talks about muslims it's usually about stopping terrorist threats as far as I know, not pretending a tiny minority with barely any political influence is going to turn an entire country into a sharia state. I see similar sentiments all over Europe.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why did Macron win?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/takethatdarwin/status/861299822078439424

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Why did Macron win?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chexoid posted:

That post is peak "I played 500 hours of Crusader Kings 2 so now I know how government works."

Calling Europe a US vassal state is straight from the Russian propaganda handbook.

Ekster posted:

Yeah not saying Trump is fundamentally different, but here in the Netherlands we have Wilders screaming "ISLAMIZATION" for the past 12 years or so to the point where I can't take anything he says seriously. When Trump talks about muslims it's usually about stopping terrorist threats as far as I know, not pretending a tiny minority with barely any political influence is going to turn an entire country into a sharia state. I see similar sentiments all over Europe.

Fear of islamization is one of the biggest talking points of the alt-right. Just visit some dumpsterfire like /pol/ or the_donald to get a picture. A substantial part of the alt right and conservative fringe seriously, totally, absolutely believes that multiple cities in the US have already enacted sharia law.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
France, great job on doing the bare minimum

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Calling Europe a US vassal state is straight from the Russian propaganda handbook.
It's still true, except for Europe not being a state.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The cream cheese of Islam has been spread by the voting sword onto the french bread!

*yululates wildly*

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fear of islamization is one of the biggest talking points of the alt-right. Just visit some dumpsterfire like /pol/ or the_donald to get a picture. A substantial part of the alt right and conservative fringe seriously, totally, absolutely believes that multiple cities in the US have already enacted sharia law.

Clearwater, Florida is controlled almost entirely from top to bottom by scientology (including the police department) but you really don't hear much about that in the whole Sharia Law conversation.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's still true, except for Europe not being a state.

Nah it's not, Europe doesn't pay ducats to the US goverment and the US can't call any levies(as seen during the Iraq war). It also can't revoke titles and European leaders can't be appointed to the presidential council. Furthermore, crown laws of the US don't apply to Europe. :goonsay:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Party Plane Jones posted:

Clearwater, Florida is controlled almost entirely from top to bottom by scientology (including the police department) but you really don't hear much about that in the whole Sharia Law conversation.

Also see Kiryas Yoel, NY, a town controlled almost entirely by the Satmar Hasidim.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PT6A posted:

Also see Kiryas Yoel, NY, a town controlled almost entirely by the Satmar Hasidim.

quote:

Al Novstrup
Dearborn, Michigan?

Zoe Chace
Have you seen that happen there?

Al Novstrup
I haven't been to Dearborn, Michigan.

Zoe Chace
From my perspective, as a national reporter, there's still the Constitution. There's no Sharia anywhere.

Al Novstrup
You don't think there's Sharia anywheres in the United States?

Zoe Chace
Correct.

Al Novstrup
I think you need to read more.

Zoe Chace
I do read.

Al Novstrup
You don't think there's Sharia any place in the United States? You don't think-- wow. OK. You don't think there's Sharia? I'm just blown away. We're living on two different planets.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/600/transcript

Al Novstrup is an elected state house representative.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

As a little gently caress you to Marine Le Pen, the after-election party for Macron at The Louvre starts with a song in Arabic ahahaha

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

As a little gently caress you to Marine Le Pen, the after-election party for Macron at The Louvre starts with a song in Arabic ahahaha

lol is there video of this?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Strange that they're more concerned about a literal fantasy they made up than with places like Kiryas Yoel. I wonder what it could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PT6A posted:

Strange that they're more concerned about a literal fantasy they made up than with places like Kiryas Yoel. I wonder what it could be?
You're right, the Israel Lobby is a powerful thing.