Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Babe Magnet posted:

trash talk: it's good

Thank god, a final adjudication on the matter. Back to arguing over Red Hood.

Speaking of which, I assume the first DLC pack comes out on release? That seems to be what they're suggesting.

fadam posted:

If trash talk was bad NRS wouldn't have incorporated it into the pre-fight scenes, checkmate.

If having my character besmirched by a talking monkey drinking wine from a skull is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If trash talk was bad NRS wouldn't have incorporated it into the pre-fight scenes, checkmate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I personally like to remove my gloves and slap my opponent across the face with them before we engage in virtual combat, but that's just me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/InjusticeGame/status/861264382939938818

Seems like Kori will be the first to be released.

Watch them make Jason the final character to be released.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 7, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I personally like to remove my gloves and slap my opponent across the face with them before we engage in virtual combat, but that's just me.

Well they pretty much added that to character select in this game too, so I guess everyone's happy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fadam posted:

I'm not ignoring anything, you're looking at like three people and calling an entire community racist and sexist.

If that community is the FGC then he's right.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If that community is the FGC then he's right.

Why do you think that? The FGC is made up of thousands of people all over the world. A handful of lovely people being idiots doesn't make the whole community sexist or racist. Even if you ignore everyone except "top players" the vast majority of players haven't done anything overly terrible.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 7, 2017

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

FunkMonkey posted:

Speaking of which, I assume the first DLC pack comes out on release? That seems to be what they're suggesting.

That seems really lovely to me

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Yes well video games.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Am I missing something, where are you guys reading that DLC pack 1 is available on release?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I didn't; I'm going off the fact that there was a big reveal trailer for them over a week before the game was even released. It sounds like from that tweet posted that they'll be coming out in phases after all.

Also what's the point at which you hit "overly terrible"? I'm curious at your metric here.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

^^- The marketing timeline is paralleling MKX pretty closely. I would expect similar release time frames for DLC.

fadam posted:

Am I missing something, where are you guys reading that DLC pack 1 is available on release?

You're not, they're dumb.

They explicitly said in the last stream that the DLC characters are not ready.

If they follow the same release schedule as MKX, the first character will be release 1-2 weeks after launch.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Overly terrible was a bad choice of words. The vast majority of top players who have had any significant screen time haven't done anything sexist or racist.

There are obviously lovely people in the community, but that's the case with literally every community ever. The idea that the FGC is this cesspool of bigots because Alucard made a moronic facebook post about gay people is completely misguided.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 7, 2017

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Dude, the fgc is kind of legendary for being poo poo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

And I think that reputation is very unfair and moistly spread by people who don't know what they're talking about. But, who cares. I'm pretty sure that nobody here is going to convince anyone else to change their mind so there's no real reason to keep talking about it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The real question is what is worse?
A) Goons
B) Gamers, specifically of the fighting game variety
C) Cornboys

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Next time a 20 something manchild doesn't throw a hissy fit or throw a $300 stick or scream out trans women or something you can tell me it's unfair lmao

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I expect you all to constantly berate me and call me an idiot loser baby in the goons rooms BTW

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Also, what character should I play? I liked catwoman last game but they seem to have nerfed cat dash and I don't know if I want to bother trying to learn how to actually play her.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Play scarecrow and use his cross screen anti air

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HebrewMagic posted:

Next time a 20 something manchild doesn't throw a hissy fit or throw a $300 stick or scream out trans women or something you can tell me it's unfair lmao

that does happen in the fgc but by that metric every community is poo poo, and that poo poo is strongly discouraged either way

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HebrewMagic posted:

I'm not denying that stuff happens, or saying that it doesn't suck. It's pretty stupid to look at one example of someone doing something dumb and assume it applies to the entire community.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

fadam posted:

I'm not denying that stuff happens, or saying that it doesn't suck. It's pretty stupid to look at one example of someone doing something dumb and assume it applies to the entire community.

It does when that man... Was Ed Boon...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jimmy Hats posted:

It does when that man... Was Ed Boon...

i heard ed boon carried a printer for a mile to a girl's house

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

I'm just sick of the "but by that metric EVERYTHING is bad!!!" argument like it's alright you can be critical of your loving hobby and it's fans
Just cuz every community/scene/crew/whatever has lovely people that ruin how outsiders view a hobby you don't put your loving hands up and go "welp what can ya do lol"

Do better as human beings etc

Can't wait to play as Erron Black 2 suicide squad edition

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

i heard ed boon carried a printer for a mile to a girl's house

He copied scorpion for 20 pages and slammed them into each other for an hour while she nervously watched

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

^^^ lol

CharlestonJew posted:

i heard ed boon carried a printer for a mile to Scorpion's house

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HebrewMagic posted:

I'm just sick of the "but by that metric EVERYTHING is bad!!!" argument like it's alright you can be critical of your loving hobby and it's fans
Just cuz every community/scene/crew/whatever has lovely people that ruin how outsiders view a hobby you don't put your loving hands up and go "welp what can ya do lol"

Cool, good thing literally nobody in this thread said that or is doing that.

There's nothing wrong with being critical of a community or game or whatever. Labeling an entire international group of people as something because of a few problem members isn't being critical.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The whole fighting game scene is probably one of the most diverse and cool with it groups I've been around honestly, I don't know where people get all this "THE FGC IS SO BAD" stuff from either unless their only exposure to it is like particularly crap locals. The mention of trans stuff especially like what, Ricki Ortiz, Kayo Police, whatever Gllty's deal is, any time I've ever seen anyone say gross poo poo about them it's pretty much always met with an immediate "Go gently caress yourself" from like 100 different sides.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HebrewMagic posted:

but wouldn't you agree judging an entire community by some bad eggs is unfair? like I've already said bad behavior is pretty heavily discouraged, especially with the internet and everything making sure everyone has a VERY long memory of any bad behavior

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm aware that the top FGC organizers and devs have been making efforts in past years to cut down on the shittiness after a slew of high profile incidents, and I commend them for it, but it's still a community full of ugly, ugly poo poo that's deeply ingrained into the 'culture'. It's like a magnifying glass on the toxic elements of gamer culture as a whole, and it's going to take a while before that reputation goes away, because it's well-earned.

I'm not saying everyone who likes fighting games is bad or that anyone who is involved in the tournament scene is bad, but taken as a whole the FGC itself, is bad.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

What Lurdiak said.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The FGC is good. You're all in a thread about a game that wouldn't even be half as potentially good as it is if it wasn't for the FGC.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I'm aware that the top FGC organizers and devs have been making efforts in past years to cut down on the shittiness after a slew of high profile incidents, and I commend them for it, but it's still a community full of ugly, ugly poo poo that's deeply ingrained into the 'culture'. It's like a magnifying glass on the toxic elements of gamer culture as a whole, and it's going to take a while before that reputation goes away, because it's well-earned.

I'm not saying everyone who likes fighting games is bad or that anyone who is involved in the tournament scene is bad, but taken as a whole the FGC itself, is bad.

Like what?

Again, nobody is denying that there's lovely parts of the FGC. But phrases like "full of" and "deeply ingrained" are really misrepresenting the situation.

CharlestonJew posted:

great. im glad nobody learned anything, and nothing was accomplished

Yeah, you're probably right. Never mind.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 7, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
great. im glad nobody learned anything, and nothing was accomplished

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

The FGC is good. You're all in a thread about a game that wouldn't even be half as potentially good as it is if it wasn't for the FGC.

Lmao dude imagine taking any argument made about people being assholes and turning it into "but they sure did make this game rad"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What fighting game Twitch broadcasters do you all like? The only one I am familiar with is maximilian_dood but I want to find more, especially if they are planning on being dedicated to this game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I have no opinion about the broader FGC, I just wanted Punk to shove his "whine about everything under the sun except his own ability causing his 10-0 loss" schtick up his rear end. That isn't trash talking, it's just being bitchmade about getting wrecked. Being the Andy Dick of gamers is a lovely "brand", don't defend that garbage just because he has skills.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

HebrewMagic posted:

Lmao dude imagine taking any argument made about people being assholes and turning it into "but they sure did make this game rad"

I think we're talking about very different people when we talk about the fighting game community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah you literally don't know what you are talking about.

FGC is full of some of the nicest people I know who have helped me out in situations where they had no need to even bother with me other than the tenuous link of "we both play games were people punch each other". I can and have had chats with random people I don't know while waiting for a tournament and met some drat decent human beings in the process.

There is some shits sure, but that literally any community, and they are the vast, vast minority.

*ed*

I said come in! posted:

What fighting game Twitch broadcasters do you all like? The only one I am familiar with is maximilian_dood but I want to find more, especially if they are planning on being dedicated to this game.

I actually personally plan to start my hand at streaming starting with this game but as for more established people who are not friggin max and actually halfway decent, Reo(long, long time nrs vet) should be playing quite a bit and he knows his way around talking to people and nice enough.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 7, 2017

• Locked thread