Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Reilly is the best airport action novelist btw

My first King was Insomnia, got it at a bake sale :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Wrong, it's Ludlum. Ludlum will have his heroes attacked by random goons, write a cool karate fight, then have his heroes break down who the random goons are, how they knew where to find the heroes, and why they attacked at that moment, just to prove that he put the work in.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

Through does Crichton still get ghost written books like Clancy after his death? Or I just mixing up Clancy games that continue after his death?

Crichton has had a few novels published posthumously based on his leftover writing scraps and notes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think as recently as like ten years before his death Clancy had stopped writing completely and there was just a bunch of authors writing stuff under the TOM CLANCY'S brand. I know there was at least stuff coming out "by him" in 2015.

There were plenty of books based on the various games with his name on them but these were just called TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: GHOST SOLDIER or whatever stupid subtitle and would have the actual author credited on the cover too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I think Virginia Andrews and her incest erotica are the ones that get ghost written the most

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rirse posted:

Through does Crichton still get ghost written books like Clancy after his death? Or I just mixing up Clancy games that continue after his death?
Clancy had a bunch of stuff published under his name while he was still writing, like Net Force, and Op Center. Then he stopped writing around 2003 and those continued. He came back a year or two before he died and co-wrote a couple or more books with some other guy. How involved he really was is debatable. Apparently the politics were absolutely insane so maybe he did have some say. They're going to continue slapping his name onto video games forever until the point where nobody knows who this guy is anymore.

Crichton had a bunch of manuscripts or fragments of them left over. There's one coming out this summer about fossil hunting. Pirate Latitudes, one of the books from the Walmart/Amazon pissing match, was another posthumous Crichton book and is supposedly going to get adapted as a movie sooner than later.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Glamorama26 posted:

My copy of Pet Sematary seems to be well over 900 pages, please advise.

A copy of Pet Sematary that just kept getting longer and longer would be an ok King story.

Chapter after chapter about how Gage died/didn't die.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Just popping in to say The Langoliers is my favorite TV Movie of all time and I've probably seen it at least 10 times.

Well, see you later

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dean Stockwell vs Cousin Balki is the greatest drama. I feel like King tv adaptations really capture the spirit and feel of the 90s better than a lot of things.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Casimir Radon posted:

Clancy had a bunch of stuff published under his name while he was still writing, like Net Force, and Op Center. Then he stopped writing around 2003 and those continued. He came back a year or two before he died and co-wrote a couple or more books with some other guy. How involved he really was is debatable. Apparently the politics were absolutely insane so maybe he did have some say. They're going to continue slapping his name onto video games forever until the point where nobody knows who this guy is anymore.

Crichton had a bunch of manuscripts or fragments of them left over. There's one coming out this summer about fossil hunting. Pirate Latitudes, one of the books from the Walmart/Amazon pissing match, was another posthumous Crichton book and is supposedly going to get adapted as a movie sooner than later.

Pirate Latitudes is the most generic and cliched pirate adventure story, and also somehow intensely boring and poorly written. I don't remember anything about the story, but I suspect that Crichton wrote it in middle school. I can see why he wouldn't have published it while he was alive.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Pirate Latitudes is the most generic and cliched pirate adventure story, and also somehow intensely boring and poorly written. I don't remember anything about the story, but I suspect that Crichton wrote it in middle school. I can see why he wouldn't have published it while he was alive.
I bought it and lost interest at some point and haven't picked it back up. The public's interest in a pirate movie without Jack Sparrow might not be there anymore, especially if the source material isn't all that novel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Just popping in to say The Langoliers is my favorite TV Movie of all time and I've probably seen it at least 10 times.

Well, see you later

i feel extremely bad for you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Man to Man with Dean Learner has to have my favorite line, ever. It involves Dean going off on a rant about wet wipes.

It's so weird, I can't get into the IT Crowd at all (it's the stupid rear end laugh track) but I am glad it introduced me to Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's so weird, I can't get into the IT Crowd at all (it's the stupid rear end laugh track) but I am glad it introduced me to Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade.

If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend Snuff Box. It's a show that Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher did and it is super out there because the BBC gave them complete freedom to do whatever they wanted as they just needed a 6 episode show to fill a timeslot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
http://www.slashfilm.com/edge-of-tomorrow-2/

quote:

When Edge of Tomorrow hit theaters back in 2014, it wasn’t as big of a success as Warner Bros. Pictures hoped. The sci-fi blockbuster pulled in $100 million at the domestic box office with another $270 coming from the rest of the world for a total of $370 million, which isn’t bad for a movie on a budget of $178 million, but it wasn’t a runaway hit. Still, a sequel was put into development last year with director Doug Liman back behind the camera and Race writers Joe Shrapnel and Anna Waterhouse scripting the sequel.

Now we have an update on Edge of Tomorrow 2 that includes the official title for the sequel, as well as confirmation of the return of both leads from the first film. Find out what Doug Liman had to say about development below.

Collider caught up with Doug Liman in an interview for his upcoming film The Wall, and the conversation eventually turned to Edge of Tomorrow 2, which has a title that those who didn’t catch the film in theaters might be more familiar with. Here’s what Doug Liman had to say:

quote:

“We have an amazing story! It’s incredible! Way better than the first film, and I obviously loved the first film. It will be called ‘Live Die Repeat And Repeat.’ Tom [Cruise] is excited about it, and Emily Blunt is excited about it. The big question is just when we’ll do it. But it’s not an if, it’s a when.”

Live Die Repeat is the title that Warner Bros. Pictures gave to Edge of Tomorrow when it hit home video. The studio denied officially changing the title, but it was made much more prominent on the artwork for the VOD release as well as the Blu-ray and DVD. Since then, I’ve heard plenty of people refer to the movie by its new title with no knowledge of its original title, so the attempt by WB to rebrand the movie apparently worked.

Therefore, it comes as no surprise that Warner Bros. is using the new title as part of the sequel’s title. It’s a little bit clunky, but it also fits in with the plot device of the first movie where Tom Cruise relives the same sequence of events over and over again. Does the new title indicate that we’ll see the same plot device used in a new way? Previously Doug Liman said the movie would not only be a sequel and a prequel, so it’s certainly possible and even likely. Liman also said it would “revolutionize how people make sequels” without explaining exactly what that meant.

The best news is that both Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt will both be back. The return of the latter was always assumed, but never confirmed, so it’s just nice to have that solidified by the film’s director. It’s just a shame that we lost Bill Paxton this year, because it would be great to have his scene-stealing character brought back.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Western Adaptions of Japanese manga/novels works well!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend Snuff Box. It's a show that Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher did and it is super out there because the BBC gave them complete freedom to do whatever they wanted as they just needed a 6 episode show to fill a timeslot.

I've never seen the show proper, but this skit is tops.
https://youtu.be/iVoC6-01-UI

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66aySW4le8

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Live Die Repeat and Repeat

What the gently caress is that title. Why can't they just call it Live Die Repeat 2?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Live. Die. Repeat. Live. Die. Repeat or LDRLDR for all the cool kids into acronyms.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Live Die Repeat and Repeat were on a boat. Repeat fell out. Who was left?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Gonz posted:

http://www.slashfilm.com/edge-of-tomorrow-2/
[/i]

Live Die Repeat is the title that Warner Bros. Pictures gave to Edge of Tomorrow when it hit home video. The studio denied officially changing the title, but it was made much more prominent on the artwork for the VOD release as well as the Blu-ray and DVD. Since then, I’ve heard plenty of people refer to the movie by its new title with no knowledge of its original title, so the attempt by WB to rebrand the movie apparently worked.

Therefore, it comes as no surprise that Warner Bros. is using the new title as part of the sequel’s title. It’s a little bit clunky, but it also fits in with the plot device of the first movie where Tom Cruise relives the same sequence of events over and over again. Does the new title indicate that we’ll see the same plot device used in a new way? Previously Doug Liman said the movie would not only be a sequel and a prequel, so it’s certainly possible and even likely. Liman also said it would “revolutionize how people make sequels” without explaining exactly what that meant.

The best news is that both Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt will both be back. The return of the latter was always assumed, but never confirmed, so it’s just nice to have that solidified by the film’s director. It’s just a shame that we lost Bill Paxton this year, because it would be great to have his scene-stealing character brought back.
[/quote]

The only reason this should be in the thread is because of the dumb title. LDR owns.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Barudak posted:

Live. Die. Repeat. Live. Die. Repeat or LDRLDR for all the cool kids into acronyms.

Live Die Repeat : ||

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

All You Need Is Repeat

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm curious what the hell he means by changing how sequels work

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Love Die Repeat

Have one of those three bar movie posters. Top bar is Cruise wooing Banks. Middle is the Tom getting exploded or monster murdered. The third is the first again but Tom is looking at the audience bemusedly.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
All You Need is Kill and Repeat

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sgt. Slaughter's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Barudak posted:

Beyond the Edge of Tomorrow

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edg3 of 2morrow

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
2 Edge 2 Morrow

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
LDR 2: All You Need is Kill

Hell, pull a Road Warrior and don't even make it clear that it's a sequel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Live Die Repeat 2 The Ghost Dimension

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Maxwell Lord posted:

LDR 2: All You Need is Kill

Hell, pull a Road Warrior and don't even make it clear that it's a sequel.

Wasnt it released in Australia as Mad Max 2?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wasnt it released in Australia as Mad Max 2?

I think that was most of the world- just that in the US, Mad Max did merely okay for a B movie (there was apparently dubbing which didn't help) so Warner Bros. decided to start fresh.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

got any sevens posted:

I'm curious what the hell he means by changing how sequels work

They said it'd be "both a sequel and a prequel", which would likely involve some creative new use of the alien Groundhog Day powers (as if the ending of the first movie didn't confuse us enough as to how said powers operate).

And how's this for a WTF sequel? Mary Poppins Returns

What chance do you suppose that has of not sucking?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Please. I've seen Snuff Box and every season of Toast of London. The main thing I like about Snuff Box is how many jokes are based on bad ADR.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You know, Edge of Tomorrow/LDR getting a sequel is starting to make me think there's a real upside to Hollywood's current desperation for franchises.

If that movie (or something equivalent) had come out in 2004, and done similar business, the studio would just think "Okay, that didn't make quite enough money, we didn't lose our shirts but still let's move on."

Now, ANY chance that a studio has at a franchise must be explored. We're getting an Edge of Tomorrow sequel, a Pacific Rim sequel, all because, hey, it made *some* money so maybe we'll make more next time!

Like we're not gonna see Lone Ranger 2 but it's kind of interesting nonetheless.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I Live, I Die, I Repeat Again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Dean Stockwell vs Cousin Balki is the greatest drama. I feel like King tv adaptations really capture the spirit and feel of the 90s better than a lot of things.

Don't forget Brutal from the Green Mile as Dozing Pilot.

aka David Morse, aka George freaking Washington on John Adams and One Bad Neighbor on Dancer in the Dark.

Love that guy.

• Locked thread