Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If you like all the other stuff that seems similar, you probably will also enjoy SU.
It's not very good, though.

Hedrigall posted:

Ooh slightly better burn, 6/10

It's Cinco de Mayo, I'm not at my most coherent atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you're literally thirty or something and still telling yourself the "I'm brilliant, just too lazy to be accomplished" story

I went to school with a couple of those people. They were always on the verge of failing classes, but on the SAT they got perfect scores. Public school is not very stimulating.

One works at Google now, the other is CTO of his own company.

In animation news, I saw "Your Name". It was great to see a Shinkai movie get the story right, with really likeable characters. Every other film has had amazing visuals but always felt distant. This one hit all the right notes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The earliest I can remember getting freaked out by a film was watching Jaws on my neighbour's TV back in the days before VHS.

You guys are making me feel old.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
the intro to A Goofy Movie freaked me out when I was little

honestly a lot of stuff did back then

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rewatched The Prince of Egypt last night with the roommate and he didn't like it. He said there are too many songs (though mostly good ones) and the pacing was weird.

Honestly, I kind of agree.

I remember watching it as a kid and buying the VHS immediately after it came out, but I also remember that I LOVED the opening song "Deliver Us" with Ofra Haza, "Playing with the Big Boys", and "The Plagues" but some of the just...didn't need to be there.

The Plagues song could've been just instrumental as the song itself didn't need lyrics, the lyrics to Playing with the Big Boys were awesome when they chanted the Egyptian god names...but mostly it was just kind of talking and "You're playing with the big boys now!" over and over...

Also, it skipped around a lot with the pacing at the end, not showing why the Commandments were even needed in the first place.

Also, I noticed it would be easily confusing hearing Val Kilmer be the voice of God and Moses. In fact, my roommate and I riffed on the movie a lot that he wasn't actually talking to God, but having schizophrenic episodes the whole time...and somehow lead to a shitload of bad things happen. Also his wife's resting bitch face was quite amazing as she basically scowled her way through the entire movie.

Though, knowing more than I did back as a kid with voice acting, I never knew Michelle Pfeiffer was in the movie. Or Sir Patrick Stewart.

I don't know if the movie's really held up and it seemed a lot less....amazing than I remembered it. I think I broke my rose-colored glasses. :v:

Also, I saw Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2. That was an awesome movie!

Speaking of things that scare you as a kid, I deeply remember the hieroglyphs of Seti telling his army to drown all of the Hebrew children scaring the poo poo out of me as a kid. I just hated everything about it...especially the pointing for some reason. Watching it last night, that scene still unnerved me a little.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThermoPhysical posted:

In fact, my roommate and I riffed on the movie a lot that he wasn't actually talking to God, but having schizophrenic episodes the whole time...and somehow lead to a shitload of bad things happen.

Something something all religion. :smug:

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I'm watching the new Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron shoe on Netflix. It's been ages since I saw the movie, but this seems decent so far. Could be a lot worse.

Could be the Cloudy show.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There were two movie experiences that scarred me in my youth- Czernabog from Fantasia (obvious choice, but I still ran upstairs the first time I saw him) and... Being John Malkovitch. I don't know if someone misread the back of the VHS or if we rented the wrong movie by accident or goddamn what, but eleven was too young to watch... that.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Flaccid Trip posted:

I'm watching the new Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron shoe on Netflix. It's been ages since I saw the movie, but this seems decent so far. Could be a lot worse.

Could be the Cloudy show.

Spirit will always have a special place in my heart because like a year before it was released I got to tour Dreamworks studios and they had a bunch of storyboards and other early production stuff around for it. It was pretty neat.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

the intro to A Goofy Movie freaked me out when I was little

honestly a lot of stuff did back then
I know, that "Tower of Cheesa" looked super unappetizing to me

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Shadow Hog posted:

I know, that "Tower of Cheesa" looked super unappetizing to me

honestly that looked really good to me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

readingatwork posted:

Spirit will always have a special place in my heart because like a year before it was released I got to tour Dreamworks studios and they had a bunch of storyboards and other early production stuff around for it. It was pretty neat.

I think it is pretty good and should've been remembered better than it is.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm watching the Ducktales movie for a laugh.

Sure am loving these Arab stereotypes!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

upcoming Ducktales cartoon head writer Frank Angones when asked if Dijon will be in the new show posted:

So there are a couple of characters in Duck canon that I look at and think “I have no idea what to do with this,” either because they don’t fit in narratively with what we’re doing or their purpose is a bit outdated or the humor surrounding them could be mean spirited (one of a half dozen characters whose main character trait is “loves food”) or potentially offensive. So I say “We’re never gonna use THAT character.”
Then a writer or artist will come up with a suggestion and I’m like “OOOOOHHHH. That’s how we do it.”
That literally just happened with Dijon this week. Not sure when or if we’ll get to it, but that’s just to illustrate that really NOTHING is off limits, even if the writers themselves think it is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wait Cartoon Network has an app? I've been wanting a legal way to check out Stephen Universe, is it good?

The app I mean

The app gets the job done, you need a cable provider to see all the episodes though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can you personally confirm stephen universe is on that app? I have cable but its not on demand

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
SU is on the CN app, I just watched the new bomb on it yesterday.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Even when they stopped showing the offensive black and Mexican Looney Tunes, the Arab ones were still totally ok.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Guy Mann posted:

Even when they stopped showing the offensive black and Mexican Looney Tunes, the Arab ones were still totally ok.

Just so you know, the offensive Mexican mouse is actually well known and sort of popular in my country :mexico: For reasons that mostly remain a mystery.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

Just so you know, the offensive Mexican mouse is actually well known and sort of popular in my country :mexico: For reasons that mostly remain a mystery.

Speedy Gonzalez defeats the Gringo with nothing but hard work in every cartoon and has the charms to be friends with everyones sister. So what he has an anemic, easily captured cousin; Speedy kicks rear end.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I hate the way the DuckTales movie looks

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Unmature posted:

I hate the way the DuckTales movie looks

If I remember right, it actually shifts artstyle halfway through, as if they ran out of money.

I bet it did.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Speedy Gonzalez defeats the Gringo with nothing but hard work in every cartoon and has the charms to be friends with everyones sister. So what he has an anemic, easily captured cousin; Speedy kicks rear end.

His cousin has hypnotic powers.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pick posted:

His cousin has hypnotic powers.

And a gun.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CeallaSo posted:

And a gun.

He's a bad hombre?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of Donald Trump and furries, I recently learned that in the 1940s Dutch Nazis made an animated adaptation of Reynard the Fox that played up the antisemitism for propaganda purposes, but was never released in part because Nazi officialss felt that a fox was not a noble enough animal to be a hero.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All I know about Reynard the Fox is that horrific furry rape scene in Lev Grossman's Magicians books.

Anyway is this one on Youtube?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

All I know about Reynard the Fox is that horrific furry rape scene in Lev Grossman's Magicians books.

Anyway is this one on Youtube?

... The phrase REALLY made it sounds like you were looking for the rape scene on Youtube.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ImpAtom posted:

... The phrase REALLY made it sounds like you were looking for the rape scene on Youtube.

Well I have the bluray of the Magicians tv show :shepface:

If you're wondering, yes, they did do the rape scene in that too

Although they made Reynard a dude with fox-like eyes instead of a literal anthropomorphic fox

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

Where's a winking taxidermied animal emoticon when you need one?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://i.imgur.com/kLziu1T.gifv

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lev Grossman is a well known furry and fantasy author who inserts fox-related sex scenes into his novels

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god, seriously, can we not talk about that in this thread?

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Pick posted:

Hey, foxes need love too ya know :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

It's this or like, Rock Dog, so nobody wins no matter what.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want to hear about Rock Dog

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

No animated animals for you for at least two days, buddy. :mad:

p.s. it's really fuckin' dreadful. Feels like a low energy pairing of Kung Fu Panda and Garfield. I'd rather rewatch that food movie where a vampire douche becomes the Incredible Hulk. I'd rather finish watching Turbo.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 8, 2017

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Hedrigall posted:

Me too. Is it any good or is it terrible? The designs looked cute enough.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

No animated animals for you for at least two days, buddy. :mad:

Tell the rain not to shine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Rock Dog was certainly a movie.