Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So NX-01 got to Risa.

I don't know why they 1. Only took two days 2. Didn't rotate everyone out and had to do it by lottery. They don't seem to have a mission to get back to, and it took them long enough to get there. You might as well make the most of it if you don't have any pressing need to go anywhere other than lol exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Instead of watching the highlights I'm considering just watching TNG all the way through until it's not worth it anymore. Does the series jump the shark, and if so, where?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Instead of watching the highlights I'm considering just watching TNG all the way through until it's not worth it anymore. Does the series jump the shark, and if so, where?

Every season of the show is better than the first and probably second season. It gets a little shaky at times in the last season but it never gets down to first season lows, and it ends real strong too. Voyager is when it jumps the shark.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 7, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Nemesis. Arguably First Contact.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

remusclaw posted:

Every season of the show is better than the first and probably second season. It gets a little shaky at times in the last season but it never gets down to first season lows, and it ends real strong too. Voyager is when it jumps the shark.

That's a really good way to put it. The final season definitely falls down hard a few times, but it's never as painful as S1/S2 was at times (really especially S1, because S2 at least has Pulaski.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Was going to say that the series peaked in seasons 3-5, but then checked and saw how many excellent episodes were in 6 and even 7, so any decline is minimal. The later ones show a greater willingness to push the format's boundaries, so the transition into DS9's style is actually pretty smooth.

EDIT - Which reminds me, I made a spreadsheet a while ago from the Wikipedia listings of TOS, TNG, DS9, and movies by broadcast/release date in case anyone wanted to see how the overlapping series nest together. I guess I should go back and add Voyager and Enterprise, but... Eh. :shrug:

After The War fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 7, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why work so hard? Plenty of other people have done the work for you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh, I didn't realise there were only 7 months between TNG ending and Voyager airing its first episode.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, I didn't realise there were only 7 months between TNG ending and Voyager airing its first episode.

Yeah, that really helps to put in perspective why it's such a weakass TNG lite most of the time.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

skasion posted:

Yeah, that really helps to put in perspective why it's such a weakass TNG lite most of the time.

It's also why 'Generations' is such a nothing movie - shooting started pretty much straight off the TNG finale, with production of Voyager starting up at the same time. One really gets the impression it got lost in the shuffle.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Back in the day it was inconceivable that we could go a year without two simultaneously running Star Trek shows. And not even one in the off season like Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead, they had to be on at the same time.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

skasion posted:

They changed it later in the run, but the first half of Voyager's first season had production numbers starting as 80x because it was basically the 8th season of TNG.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Zesty posted:

Why work so hard? Plenty of other people have done the work for you.

Because it was more fun than actual work. :(

But seriously, thanks for the link. Color coded!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

8one6 posted:

They changed it later in the run, but the first half of Voyager's first season had production numbers starting as 80x because it was basically the 8th season of TNG.

Was it always planned that DS9 and VOY would both follow TNG (DS9 overlapping with the last couple of seasons, of course), or was VOY conceived and hurried out because of criticisms of DS9 being too different?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Voyager was shoved out the door because Paramount wanted a Star Trek show to be the flagship of UPN and they already had syndication contracts in place for DS9.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chris Pine hosted SNL last night and they did a Star Trek skit. It's serviceable, but of note is Pine in the TOS uniform and on a facsimile of the tv bridge, and doing a credible Shatner version of Kirk.

Am I wrong that I kinda want to see him do that in the movies? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuFfmnu34rs

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

Chris Pine hosted SNL last night and they did a Star Trek skit. It's serviceable, but of note is Pine in the TOS uniform and on a facsimile of the tv bridge, and doing a credible Shatner version of Kirk.

Every now and again he goes full-Shatner. Best example I can think of is when he comes onto the bridge at the end of '09 and proclaims, "Bones! :haw:" Pure Shatner.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Every now and again he goes full-Shatner. Best example I can think of is when he comes onto the bridge at the end of '09 and proclaims, "Bones! :haw:" Pure Shatner.

He did some Shat during the Kobayashi Maru in 09.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Astroman posted:

It'd be really fun if he did

If anyone sexually harassed Nichelle Nichols I think they'd just keep on shooting cause :females:

Also Neil Degrasse Tyson getting off to his own out of place science references is hilarious

vermin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 7, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm a little familiar with the generations uniform story, but was ds9 the first place to see the uniforms they ended up using in generations? I'd always thought the movie used them first.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

grilldos posted:

He did some Shat during the Kobayashi Maru in 09.

The apple was a fantastic callback to TWOK.

Apparently unintentional, but I take what I can get.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm a little familiar with the generations uniform story, but was ds9 the first place to see the uniforms they ended up using in generations? I'd always thought the movie used them first.

Nope, DS9 had them for its premiere in 1993. Generations was 1994.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nope, DS9 had them for its premiere in 1993. Generations was 1994.

And it wasn't even their own costumes. They had to borrow ones the main cast of DS9 wore.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evek posted:

And it wasn't even their own costumes. They had to borrow ones the main cast of DS9 wore.

This is one of the most seriously bizarre facts I know in any subject. It honestly baffles me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Voyager has a really nice theme song and opening credits.

Shame about everything that happens after that's over.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

This is one of the most seriously bizarre facts I know in any subject. It honestly baffles me.

They can spend millions to make a movie, but can't make a few uniforms for reasons.

I can imagine Levar Burton looking at some incredibly expensive catering on set and thinking "you know, if we cut that back by just 20% I probably wouldn't have to wear some other guys clothes." :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Didn't that happen again when DS9 got their next costumes?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Astroman posted:

They can spend millions to make a movie, but can't make a few uniforms for reasons.

I can imagine Levar Burton looking at some incredibly expensive catering on set and thinking "you know, if we cut that back by just 20% I probably wouldn't have to wear some other guys clothes." :(

The actress for Ezri arrives for her first day on set and realizes the catering table hasn't been changed in three seasons. They just keep adding layers of stale thrown out bagels to hide the more unsavory parts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Voyager has a really nice theme song and opening credits.

Shame about everything that happens after that's over.

Except for that one shot where they forgot to apply some textures to the ship and never fixed it so when it flies dramatically in front of the camera there are a bunch of black squares on the bottom.

I feel like it's symbolic of the show.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 8, 2017

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone played Star Trek: A Final Unity? I just installed it today but only had time to play for a few minutes. With full audio and different dialog choices and poo poo, it seems promising.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Except for that one shot where they forgot to apply some textures to the ship and never fixed it so when it flies dramatically in front of the camera there are a bunch of black squares on the bottom.

I feel like it's symbolic of the show.

Honestly, the resolution of 480p makes it pretty drat hard to tell that the textures are missing in that shot. I suspect they knew and could have re-rendered the shot but didn't care enough because they also knew a fraction of a percent of people would have TVs clear enough and a high enough degree of the 'tism to figure it out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TheBigAristotle posted:

Has anyone played Star Trek: A Final Unity? I just installed it today but only had time to play for a few minutes. With full audio and different dialog choices and poo poo, it seems promising.

I remember it being really good and by far the most Star Trek of any Star Trek game, but I was also ten the last time I played it.

How did you get it working? I've always wanted to replay it but modern computers just say "gently caress this noise" and no emulators or workarounds I've ever tried do anything. Best I managed was to get it to start but without audio and everything running too fast.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
We should talk about how bad the Klingon wedding outfits are.

because they look like Renaissance Festival workers

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Dorn looks embarrassed as hell.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 8, 2017

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember it being really good and by far the most Star Trek of any Star Trek game, but I was also ten the last time I played it.

How did you get it working? I've always wanted to replay it but modern computers just say "gently caress this noise" and no emulators or workarounds I've ever tried do anything. Best I managed was to get it to start but without audio and everything running too fast.

Wouldn't DosBox be enough?
I remember it bitching about wanting to run in pure dos mode when I tried to run it in Windows 95 back in the day.
I don't think I ever completed that one.
25th anniversary and Judgement Rites were great though. I had them on cd, but I think I also bought the gog version during a summer sale in the past 2 years. Makes me want to replay those two. Fortunately, the gog versions include the manual with the map that acted like copy protection.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

Wouldn't DosBox be enough?

It didn't work in DosBox. Maybe with a more recent version, I haven't tried in a while.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Only Star Trek game I ever played was a demo for Klingon Academy. I was poo poo at 3D flight then and I'm poo poo at it now but I remember thinking the Klingon opera themes and the main menu were cool as heck and the sinister Starfleet music was awesome too.

If you can find the soundtrack give it a listen.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I remember playing the Star Trek: Borg interactive movie game and it was great fun because John DeLancie owns.

Though my friend and I had a loving devil of a time clicking the button on the bottom of the phaser, cause the game gives you like a split second to react.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I spent a ridiculous number of hours as a teenager playing Armada, Armada 2, and Birth of the Federation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Honestly, the resolution of 480p makes it pretty drat hard to tell that the textures are missing in that shot. I suspect they knew and could have re-rendered the shot but didn't care enough because they also knew a fraction of a percent of people would have TVs clear enough and a high enough degree of the 'tism to figure it out.

True enough, but come on, it's the opening credits. And it's trek, their entire core base has the tism.

Grand Fromage posted:

Between Voco and Deepvoice we're probably about maybe two or three years out from commercial solutions being able to convincingly recreate voices with full range of emotion and acting, so I'm hoping that that leads to some new adventure games from TOS and TNG.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 8, 2017