Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

torturemyballs posted:

sure, that takes a lot of talent, doesn't mean it isn't poo poo though. kinda like dream theater.

I also like ska so maybe my music tastes are just truly poo poo.

Better than liking whatever JaRule does though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Girl Talk DJs fuckin weird. I mean, his live show is amazing so whatever, but his methods are really out there.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Girl Talk killed himself? Dang I wondered why he stopped releasing albums

Sorry, bad metaphor. He just looks so drained at the end of his sets it seems like he's dying.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Goon: lazy DJs that don't do jack poo poo are awful, lol push play

Other goon: BUT SOME OF THEM DO STUFF *posts youtube links*

Other other goons: okay but the lazy ones are lovely *moves goalposts*

More other goons: *more youtube links*

Even more other goons: fukn goons

fixed

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 7, 2017

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

wtf is this thread about now

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Maya Fey posted:

DJs, turntablism, and petty squabbles, keep up, god

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Maya Fey posted:

FYRE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It was weird watching dj shadow go from experimental found footage mashups to his hood rat hip hop. Run the jewels are a good pairing though

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm middle aged and don't see the point of Instagram since I can just share pictures on The Facebook. Got like... 3 pictures on there.

Every once and a while one a picture of a well-oiled butt or boobs likes one of the three pictures of me and my children on their and sends a friend request.

Is that what instagram modelling is? Casting a wide net of requests to get likes or shares or whatever with a picture of your butt?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All these billions of dollars just so you can moon the internet

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is that what instagram modelling is? Casting a wide net of requests to get likes or shares or whatever with a picture of your butt?

Yes. They hashtag words that are both relevant and irrelevant to the photo and their mood, follow as many people in their search feed as possible, in the hopes of getting likes and follows. The likes are for dickwaving and potential endorsement opportunities, the follows make them "influential".

Instagram is the photo equivalent of the social status stock market, for vapid socialites. The more followers and likes you get, the more you can justify obsessing over your appearance, which probably helps them deal with crippling depression. The more popular and hot you are, the more wealthy dudes will sugar daddy their amazon wishlists.

I personally know a girl who got random internet strangers to buy her a $5,000 boob job, various clothing, art supplies, sex toys, shoes and makeup. Just because of having an Instagram. :shrug:

That same girl had a bit of a meltdown when a few people unfollowed her page. "I just don't understand why someone would unfollow me. It sucks to think someone just stopped caring about my posts."

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 7, 2017

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I guess we've run out of Fyre Festival things to talk about, but that's okay because I enjoy seeing folks get educated about proper DJing

I also enjoy watching complete DJ trainwrecks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQA2xXwILVw

I've seen way worse trainwrecks... just sayin

batmansdrawers
Jan 1, 2006

Y-Y-Y-Yoda
A DMC turntablist DJ doing a competition/juggle/scratch routine for hours on end at a meat market sleaze club full of bros who want to get "wet slit" will get glassed.
A left/right/left/right club/festival DJ is going to get ABSOLUTELY slayed in a DMC comp. (Unless you've won a title. A-TRAK is a good example... well because he won DMC, ITF and Vestax)
A controllerist fails to meet rules of DMC - so can't participate. Also probably doesn't have routines/sample chops for a 2 hour set at dive club.

I go to DMC heats/finals to appreciate their techniques and choices.
I see my favourite turntablists because I like their work - especially if they work with their original sounds/samples.
I see controllerists they do some wonky poo poo with gameboys/guitar heros controllers and broken toys.
I'll see left/right/left/right Djs if their mixes are good and their selections make me dance/nod/drink

Superstar festival "DJs" do nought for me. I went to Ultra twice, and the second time, spent days 2 and 3 drinking on the lawn outside because it was more fun than DJs making heart hands and yelling about "party peopleeeee".

'sall horses for courses. There are different types of guitarists, genres, DJs and musicians. Follow what you like.

My IRL :goonsay:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

batmansdrawers posted:

A DMC turntablist DJ doing a competition/juggle/scratch routine for hours on end at a meat market sleaze club full of bros who want to get "wet slit" will get glassed.
A left/right/left/right club/festival DJ is going to get ABSOLUTELY slayed in a DMC comp. (Unless you've won a title. A-TRAK is a good example... well because he won DMC, ITF and Vestax)
A controllerist fails to meet rules of DMC - so can't participate. Also probably doesn't have routines/sample chops for a 2 hour set at dive club.

I see my favourite turntablists because I like their work - especially if they work with their original sounds/samples.
I see controllerists they do some wonky poo poo with gameboys/guitar heros controllers and broken toys.
I'll see left/right/left/right Djs if their mixes are good and their selections make me dance/nod/drink

Superstar festival "DJs" do nought for me. I went to Ultra twice, and the second time, spent days 2 and 3 drinking on the lawn outside because it was more fun than DJs making heart hands and yelling about "party peopleeeee".

'sall horses for courses. There are different types of guitarists, genres, DJs and musicians. Follow what you like.

Yes I can see why you drink

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Amarcarts posted:

Yes I can see why you drink

It's like one of those audiophile posts that 99% of the population neither cares or knows what the poo poo they're saying.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Mammal Sauce posted:

It's like one of those audiophile posts that 99% of the population neither cares or knows what the poo poo they're saying.

Not at all

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

That same girl had a bit of a meltdown when a few people unfollowed her page. "I just don't understand why someone would unfollow me. It sucks to think someone just stopped caring about my posts."

What's her instagram? Gonna follow and like everything for a week, then unfollow just to upset her.

TIA

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

batmansdrawers posted:

Yeah, this is how I look at the whole thing too.

One time, a small time DJ that used to go to school with me took out his laptop while we were talking to check something out on the internet and on a huge sticker on the cover of his laptop it was written ''DJ music is music too!!''. It was the most try hard, insecure thing ever.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mammal Sauce posted:

Calm down grandma

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

batmansdrawers posted:

Hahaha someone unironically and smugly typed "Superstar festival "DJs" do nought for me." in between a bunch of other words and then pushed the post button with zero self awareness

Holy poo poo

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I once took a bus and there was a guy with two turntables on his knees mixing some poo poo, probably a wheels on the bus mashup, who cares.

he had a waxed mustache and a bow tie. That guy was the worst.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

would you guys give the DJ bullshit a rest and post some funny rear end poo poo about fyre festival, tia

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/hotdoorknobs/status/809927964674719744

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

revmoo posted:

Calm down grandma

It's an absurdly bad post.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone know what that arcade button controller is that the ean dude was using? I want one.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Snowy posted:

Anyone know what that arcade button controller is that the ean dude was using? I want one.

It's the "MidiFighter". It also has an accelerometer/gyroscope, for some reason, and it's like $200. You can probably make one yourself to save some money, or if non-arcade buttons are fine get an Ableton Launchpad knockoff.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

E4C85D38 posted:

It's the "MidiFighter". It also has an accelerometer/gyroscope, for some reason, and it's like $200. You can probably make one yourself to save some money, or if non-arcade buttons are fine get an Ableton Launchpad knockoff.

Midifighters are actually neat little products. :3:

What buttons are better for being mashed on a million times than arcade buttons? Also it has some unique firmware that let's you do whatever you can imagine right out of the box. For instance, effect trigger "combos" by holding certian buttons in order.

To replicate a midifighter on a launchpad would take a deep understanding of macro chaining commands in traktor, if it's even possible. It emulates the Traktor F1, whereas the launchpad would either be read as a generic midi controller, or a launchpad meaning it wouldn't function the same. :eng101:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

What buttons are better for being mashed on a million times than arcade buttons? Also it has some unique firmware that let's you do whatever you can imagine right out of the box. For instance, effect trigger "combos" by holding certian buttons in order.

To replicate a midifighter on a launchpad would take a deep understanding of macro chaining commands in traktor, if it's even possible. It emulates the Traktor F1, whereas the launchpad would either be read as a generic midi controller, or a launchpad meaning it wouldn't function the same. :eng101:

Nobody cares

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

revmoo posted:

Nobody cares
:goonsay:

Snowy posted:

Except for this guy, but nice edgy post friend. :thumbsup:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

djs moved back to guitars you idiots.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Alan Smithee posted:

It was weird watching dj shadow go from experimental found footage mashups to his hood rat hip hop. Run the jewels are a good pairing though

His most recent album was meh, but the live show was excellent and included just enough of the old stuff mixed in with the new stuff.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

djs moved back to guitars you idiots.

Well it's about time. Guitars that double as synth triggers have been around since the 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtUrpzkfeuI

never caught on but you could bypass the analog synth and use it as a midi controller with a little modification

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 8, 2017

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

synthetik posted:

It's the same thing with any music genre. 99% of bands play their brothers wedding one time and are barely passable, only the top 0.1% are Radiohead or Seether or Zeppelin or whatever. Most people that are into the electronic music scene for the music have no respect for Avicii/Garret/Guettea, but seeing PVD do live remixes or Girl Talk killing himself on stage for a six hour stretch is massive.

I just want Calvin Harris to gently caress off

and Tiesto

well to start

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This actually sounds really loving cool and something I could use for sure.

Thanks!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I just want Calvin Harris to gently caress off

and Tiesto

well to start

just don't listen to them? :shrug:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

just don't listen to them? :shrug:

I don't, but their mere presence drains my life energy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
what the gently caress happened to making fun of rich people getting an extra hour in the gravel pit

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

vyst posted:

Lol if you go to those shows for any other reason than to get really good drugs

Lol if you buy drugs at shows. You should know a bunch of different dealers from partying literally every weekend and buy your stuff in advance, in a setting where you can use a reagents test and a digital scale to make sure you're actually getting what you pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nah, you make sure your reliable dealer(s) is at the show and let them risk getting popped at the door or the airport or by a uc there

• Locked thread