Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

About Forest arena: I can't clear the 6th stage with the small robot with his fists I can make it to the 3rd wave but then I get bum-rushed to death. Also, shop robot I trusted you!? I already have the 3x outfits so not sure if I it's worth clearing or not.

Alder fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Augus posted:

You don't, actually! There's a trick you can use to trivialize it.
Time slows down when you start charging up a pod program. Charge it, cancel the charge with R1/whatever button you have fire bound to, and then charge again

When I did that, I beat the final round with about 10 seconds to spare.
So yeah, it's really easy to cheese.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yay, first playthrough done and I'm ready to go straight back in. There's some faults on the gameplay side of things but I really like this game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alder posted:

About Forest arena: I can't clear the 6th stage with the small robot with his fists I can make it to the 3rd wave but then I get bum-rushed to death. Also, shop robot I trusted you!? I already have the 3x outfits so not sure if I it's worth clearing or not.

It's worth it.

Have you tried using the hacking levelup chips? Only chips that work in that context, quite handy.

The buzzsaw robot is also good.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How do I reach the Desert Oasis?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

SirPhoebos posted:

How do I reach the Desert Oasis?

Run through the small valley between dunes with ruined buildings on the side

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
When in doubt, just hug the fall wall (Where the sand storm pushes you back) going left.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It's worth it.

Have you tried using the hacking levelup chips? Only chips that work in that context, quite handy.

The buzzsaw robot is also good.

I don't think the chips work when you're controlling them. Mostly it's a timed slap fight with you vs all your other buddies. I will see if I can control the giant robot jic I fail yet again .

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Did the DLC add 1% Unit Data? Because I'm at 99% and I've cross checked the drat wiki like 10 times. I've got everything including all enhanced machines and both hidden bosses.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alder posted:

I don't think the chips work when you're controlling them. Mostly it's a timed slap fight with you vs all your other buddies. I will see if I can control the giant robot jic I fail yet again .

The chips that give robots you hacked extra levels still work for the arena. As far as I can tell, they're the only ones that are any use.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Alder posted:

I can't really decipher this post but +hacked bot level chips definitely work in the dlc rock'em sock'em arena.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

RanKizama posted:

Did the DLC add 1% Unit Data? Because I'm at 99% and I've cross checked the drat wiki like 10 times. I've got everything including all enhanced machines and both hidden bosses.

Maybe they changed it so that it stops at 99%, just to mess with completionists. That would be such a Cavia move.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

RanKizama posted:

Do you fight the godzilla machine outside of the DLC?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Saagonsa posted:

How do you encounter him?

Also what's the best way to get gold ore?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How do you encounter him?

Also what's the best way to get gold ore?

He's in the castle.

Gold ore is in various places, but the fastest way to get it in bulk is to buy it from the shop in the amusement park.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Saagonsa posted:

The Monster Type? Yeah, he's in the forest and I already dropped him. :/

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

chiasaur11 posted:

He's in the castle.

Like...as a quest or...?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Like...as a quest or...?
Nah, hes in the forest. Big open area towards the top right hand side where the flower is. Just stomping around with two linkage types around him. Hard to miss.

EDIT: Made to the tank in the colosseum at Level 93 on Normal. Laser Pod and sword throwing are my saving graces. Holy hell does that tank have some HP though.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 8, 2017

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm at the amusement park boss and the game had finally clicked for me. A huge part of that is the soundtrack which I never thought I'd say for a video game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

JackDarko posted:

I'm at the amusement park boss and the game had finally clicked for me. A huge part of that is the soundtrack which I never thought I'd say for a video game.

the soundtrack is like 46% why the game owns as much as it does

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

the soundtrack is like 46% why the game owns as much as it does

The writing is a solid 50 percent. This game has some really really well-written short stories and dialogue.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 8, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, this also was my first Yoko Taro game.

I uh... was only weirded out by the scene right before the first Adam fight, but beyond that, I wasn't.

Is there something wrong with me? Or was I missing the weirdness or was it as a whole more mild than what I've read he does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The writing is a solid 50 percent. This game has some really really well-written short stories and dialogue.

The other 4% is 2B's butt and 9S' legs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

iospace posted:

I uh... was only weirded out by the scene right before the first Adam fight, but beyond that, I wasn't.

Is there something wrong with me? Or was I missing the weirdness or was it as a whole more mild than what I've read he does.

Have you gotten up to ending E?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Synthbuttrange posted:

Have you gotten up to ending E?

Yes.

Though ending K was the best.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Taro isn't good at so much "weird" as he is at just good at utterly blindsiding you.

The only really weird game was really Drakengard 1, though Drakengard 3 was over the top at points. Nier just slowly morphs into abject terror at what a (well intentioned) monster you actually are playing as.

This game is very nihilistic in a lot of ways and is very clear about that. The real troll is that he doesn't actually swerve you after you expect it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Nier was never as weird as Drakengard anyways. Though Automata is hella weirder than the original

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just like that the games keep basing themselves off the weirdest ending, it's like if somebody decided to make Silent Hill 2 about the alien ending of the first game, and then Silent HIll 3 was the Wizard of Oz but with a shiba inu behind the curtain.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think the biggest flaw of Nier Automata's storytelling style is that it doesn't really give 2B/9S a personal stake in the conflict until much later. And by the time that occurs, the world has devolved and altered so much that it becomes almost incomprehensible. Nier 1 had a family member to protect, HZD had the proving/seeking, while NA has you perform menial tasks for your commanders until giant robots start showing up and you need to bring them down. The interludes between those sequences were the best bits though, Adam and Pascal scratched the discovery itch.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

I think the biggest flaw of Nier Automata's storytelling style is that it doesn't really give 2B/9S a personal stake in the conflict until much later. And by the time that occurs, the world has devolved and altered so much that it becomes almost incomprehensible. Nier 1 had a family member to protect, HZD had the proving/seeking, while NA has you perform menial tasks for your commanders until giant robots start showing up and you need to bring them down. The interludes between those sequences were the best bits though, Adam and Pascal scratched the discovery itch.

At the same time, though, there's a profound emphasis on the existential pointlessness of the characters' actions that wouldn't be as prominent if they had a meaningful goal to work towards. In Nier, having a goal that you truly felt justified an excessive amount of risk and sacrifice to achieve is what helps blind you to the true impact of what you're doing. For Automata, the revelation is far more that you're fighting an uncertain conflict for impersonal reasons and you're trying to justify it to yourself. The entire thesis of Automata is attempting to sort out, make sense of and establish one's place in a world which renders your every action ultimately pointless.

This is also true of real life.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I'm replaying the game after an Ending E, it helps to reassess everything.

Just finished Confidential Intel. Makes me want to run away with 9S.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

I mean, the story is about them finding their own personal motivations. That's the main idea of existentialism.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The other 4% is 2B's butt and 9S' legs

This ignorance of best girl A2 is unacceptable

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This ignorance of best girl A2 is unacceptable

She does have a cute nose. So okay it's 1% each between the three of them then with an extra 1% for your favorite protagonist.

edit: I can do math good

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Look at this weeb caring only about appearance rather than attitude. :colbert:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Jackass is best girl. All of y'all are crazy/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jackass is actually on the meta level with Accord where she is above mere human consideration.

Accord makes sure timelines are all in order and poo poo
Jackass makes sure things that need to explode are exploded

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I kind of noticed today 2B's feelings for 9S are interesting when you consider what Jackass discovered. Androids' pleasure centres are directly stimulated by combat and violence; the closest emotion they have to 'love' comes from fighting. So, it could be interpreted that 2B has these feelings least partly because she's fought and murdered him so many times - a conditioned response. The only other E-series you meet was in exactly the same situation, being in love with the object of her violence.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Maaaybe, but 2B doesn't actually like killing 9S, and 9S was enamored with 2B from the get go. Actually 9S just has a thing for hot older ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Phobophilia posted:

N:A is really a concept-driven story as opposed to how Nier was very character driven. I much prefer the latter since a character driven plot can still explore interesting themes but I guess it's apples and oranges