Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Lazer Monkey posted:

I have the same thing, there is no workaround that I have seen, people are just waiting for a patch.

poo poo. Well at least it isn't a niche issue only experienced by me. Decent chance it will get fixed.

I do feel it forced me to miss plot important info though. I rarely got to hear anything from December before something happened to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So I see this is being billed as a horror game, but what I'm hearing (and seeing from earlygame streams) is that it isn't really very scary; mimics are kind of cute, even.

However, I'm a huge baby about horror, and on literal doctor's orders to avoid anything excessively stressful besides, so how does this game rate re: scariness/stressfulness, notably risk of jumpscares etc.? I'm not suuuuper keen on the idea of something chasing me around the game, but the gameplay looks fun as hell and I loved the Deus Ex games.

I'd say the most tense thing about the game is the music spending 90% of it's time making GBS threads out suspenseful synth music and some frankly random scare chords. I turned it off and the game became oddly relaxing.

On a side note, has anyone found the keycard for the I.T supply closet?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 8, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How much more difficult is it to beat the game if you kill January?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Barely at all, s/he mostly provides color commentary, the quest markers still update as normal you just don't get an omniscient voice explaining WHY you're doing the next thing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Anti-Hero posted:

A lot. Don't do it unless you enjoy playing the game without a guide.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Which of the above posts is true? Real mindfuck

I've only experimented a little bit with killing January in the early parts of the game, but there seem to be a multitude of specific ramifications - I noticed that the security chief tells you to work your way arboretum when you try the main elevator instead, and that January being dead means she won't kill December when she tries to meet you in the neuromod division. December is not as talkative as January, but she says then that she'll contact you when you get to Alex's office - I haven't seen how that plays out.

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 8, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I killed January, saw it pop an achievement, and then reloaded the save and quit for the night. I want to avoid save-scumming on my first playthrough, but if this is something that is intended to be done on subsequent playthroughs then so be it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

Which of the above posts is true? Real mindfuck

I've only experimented a little bit with killing January in the early parts of the game, but there seem to be a multitude of specific ramifications - I noticed that the security chief tells you to work your way arboretum when you try the main elevator instead, and that January being dead means she won't kill December when she tries to meet you in the neuromod division. December is not as talkative as January, but she says then that she'll contact you when you get to Alex's office - I haven't seen how that plays out.

I'm guessing that they'll unlock Alex's computer early so you can extend the drawbridge and get the bad ending...Not that you couldn't GLOO your way there normally but whatever.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 8, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is there a way to break the DRM on fabricating neuromods without upgrading hacking to level 4? There seems to be no way into that room besides the giant door with the broken keypad on it.

e: Going to read the obscure hint and not the second spoilers. I love that drat nerf gun, I've unlocked so much stuff with it already.
vvv

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 8, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there a way to break the DRM on fabricating neuromods without upgrading hacking to level 4? There seems to be no way into that room besides the giant door with the broken keypad on it.

First hint: Try exploring. Second hint: Huntress boltcaster.

Straight up telling you: If you climb on top of the room, there is an area you can peak through, and use hte huntress boltcaster to shoot the button to open the door from the inside

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I think I left the plot behind like 12 hours ago.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Possibly a mistake starting this at like 3am. It shouldn't be that scary, but the music plus mimicry has me tense as hell. Game seems good though!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blattdorf posted:

I think I left the plot behind like 12 hours ago.

It's spread so incredibly thin throughout the game that I barely even care about the actual goal you are given (blow this poo poo sky high). I'm like 10 hours in, so I'm kind of hoping it gets to be more important than "eh whenever you get around to it" sometime soon.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I love this game but I can't get over how much the hacking minigame sucks. I know that hacking sucks in most games but here it's way more jarring when you experience it in stark contrast to how much attention was given to everything else, ability interactions, permutations etc. It's just so mundane that it feels like nobody thought about its mechanics at all - they were late for a deadline, somebody threw an idea at a meeting and they went straight to developing it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought it was clever at first but it is starting to wear on me a bit as the game goes on. There's very little to keep it interesting. I expected that higher level hacks would add more hazards or mechanics to the hacking minigame since really you don't do it all that often... but I was wrong!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hate it. It's such a contrast from what the rest of the game is doing, I'd venture to guess it was something that never received much attention (like Palpek said) or the minigame/mechnanic they had planned didn't pan out.

SS2's real time hacking would be more appropriate but wouldn't work well with a controller (same w/ real time inventory).

CJacobs posted:

I thought it was clever at first

Remotely how?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Hacking is incredibly straightforward, but at least there's no experience counter that'd force you to do it every single time.

Still, I think it is one of the many concessions the game has made to make it playable on console. Otherwise you'd be able to actually type in passwords like in Deus Ex, to give an example.

It really makes me wonder what other ideas the devs might have had that they'd implement if they didn't have to include consoles in the mix.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I have a controller plugged into my PC so I switch to use that when I hack which makes it bearable. I can't imagine doing anything other than level 1 hacks on the keyboard.

Btw Prey bros, if you are Achievement hunting watch out with throwing Recycle Grenades around like crazy. I think the reason I couldn't find some employees was because I dissolved them. Though I did get the find all e-mail and audiolog achievements early so maybe you just need to find the majority.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

Remotely how?

It's a neat little minigame. And again, part of the reason I thought it was clever is because I assumed they'd throw more stuff into the mix.

edit: A way to keep the minigame from being repetitive could have been to make it so that hacks below your current skill level just auto complete. At level 4 you only need to do level 4 hacks, etc.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The devs really put a lot of thought into making Talos 1 feel like a real place, and one little detail that I continue to admire is that the entire crew is not only named, but you can look up a list of all crew members and other people aboard Talos 1. It contributes a lot towards environmental storytelling.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I feel like this game has some of the more believable e-mail chains I've seen in a video game

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Anyway kinetic blast loving owns. I killed 5 mimics in a room with a single one and when used on phantoms it instantly knocks them out for a lazy finisher with the pistol. Something's telling me that fully upgraded powers absolutely break the game.

Is remote manipulation useful for anything in the game? It feels like gloo gun + the much more multipurpose (not mentioning cooler as a mechanic) morph ability leave not much for it to accomplish.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If they make Half-Life 3 to play like this one, but more amazing enviroments, I would be a happy camper.

Also gently caress the hacking minigame one million times.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 8, 2017

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Just wanted to say that it is so refreshing to have this kind of game take place mostly in wide open, well lit areas.

CONVERT PDF TO WORD
Jul 7, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

I have a controller plugged into my PC so I switch to use that when I hack which makes it bearable. I can't imagine doing anything other than level 1 hacks on the keyboard.

Btw Prey bros, if you are Achievement hunting watch out with throwing Recycle Grenades around like crazy. I think the reason I couldn't find some employees was because I dissolved them. Though I did get the find all e-mail and audiolog achievements early so maybe you just need to find the majority.

There's an achievement for recyclying yourself

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I like the hacking minigame because it is trivially easy that I basically never fail.

Also I started a new game on nightmare and the game is pretty easy even on nightmare once you learn how the combat system works. Combat focus is extremely strong as a skill even at level 1.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Tei posted:

If they make Half-Life 3 to play like this one, but more amazing enviroments, I would be a happy camper.

Half Life 3 isn't happening, Valve has completely abandoned it. All the writers and various HL2-era staff have left. Valve has moved to new offices and it's been noted that it's decidedly much less video-game development-oriented than the old building was, and more about the Steam service & support. Who can blame them? Steam is monolithic and bigger than Xbox Live/PSN.

The dream is dead, let it go. It would never live up to the hype anyway.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 8, 2017

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Checked out game cause of thread title. Watched a first 30 minute video. Put down 60$ and I don't regret it. It really does feel like system shock 3. I love how there are just so many ways to explore, so many nooks and crannies with goodies. I've found that I don't really need the weight lifter skills past 1 though. Usually I can use explosive canisters to move whatever I need.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Might the subversive way to beat Prey be to avoid killing any Typhon?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Seedge posted:

Might the subversive way to beat Prey be to avoid killing any Typhon?

Don't kill any Typhon, kill all humans? :getin:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Timespy posted:

Don't kill any Typhon, kill all humans? :getin:

I wonder if this is possible. It would mean never using the elevator. But you should be able to just take long detours.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Half Life 3 isn't happening, Valve has completely abandoned it. All the writers and various HL2-era staff have left. Valve has moved to new offices and it's been noted that it's decidedly much less video-game development-oriented than the old building was, and more about the Steam service & support. Who can blame them? Steam is monolithic and bigger than Xbox Live/PSN.

The dream is dead, let it go. It would never live up to the hype anyway.

Gabe Newell mentioned there was still work going on related to it this year.

I mean, I'm not saying it's even remotely likely to come out, but it seems Valve has less actively abandoned it and is more... occasionally poking at it in the hopes that maybe there's something they missed that'll make everything click together.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm assuming I don't want to play with this preorder DLC stuff turned on?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Junkenstein posted:

I'm assuming I don't want to play with this preorder DLC stuff turned on?

Its a pretty small and inconsequential cache of loot you still have to somewhat earn so it's fine.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do I disable quests? I was idly clicking on a Security terminal and now I have a random objective to find a crew member I don't care about.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I disable quests? I was idly clicking on a Security terminal and now I have a random objective to find a crew member I don't care about.

Click on that same crew member on that same terminal again and you'll un-tag him.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jack Trades posted:

Click on that same crew member on that same terminal again and you'll un-tag him.

Thanks. Back to Trauma, I guess, this thing is annoying.

By the way, do you get any kind of fast travel in the game? Is it even necessary?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks. Back to Trauma, I guess, this thing is annoying.

By the way, do you get any kind of fast travel in the game? Is it even necessary?

Actually , my bad, it doesn't have to be the same terminal. Just any security terminal will do.

You fast travel by going outside of the station and flying in space between airlocks.
You'll get a tutorial of sorts for that later on if you haven't gotten there yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also toggle off off individual quest markers in your Objectives tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Open your menu and go to your objectives and select the find crewperson quest. Press the needed key to unactivate the quest (should be listed in the bottom right). You don't NEED to go to a terminal.