Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Le Pen's rhetoric doesn't have to be remotely as strong because she already signals all that horrible poo poo with her party label. gently caress's sake, most of the old guard of the party was involved with OAS. The GOP may have full throated fascists, but they're not harboring people who literally tried to coup the french republic in their youth to install Franco's Pied-Noir clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm not British but when I think of peak Brit, this is it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is there a final tally of votes? Is it still 65/35?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is there a final tally of votes? Is it still 65/35?

66/34

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Macron and Trudeau are my OTP

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

In the immortal words of our generation, QQ moar u cuck

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blut posted:

Since the 2008 crash and the spread of 'austerity' its become a synonym for the excesses of capitalism.

It wouldn't be if most retail banks didn't constantly bring into question why we even need them at all anymore. Not to mention how investment banks and hedge funds actively work maliciously to manipulate both the market, their own clients and even nation states against the common good for short-term profit. Austerity is only good for creditors.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Well done on not loving up the world any further France!

axeil posted:

Maybe this time they won't listen to an absolutely discredited paper that only showed austerity worked because of an Excel error! :smithicide:
hahahah wait what?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ekster posted:

With any luck WW3 will be fascist US, UK and Russia against liberal Germany, Italy and Japan.

So you want the fascists to win?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Pizdec posted:

Well done on not loving up the world any further France!

hahahah wait what?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-economy-debt-herndon-idUSBRE93H0CV20130418

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

It's ok, china will take the role of the USSR. They're not the guys we like a lot, but they're better than literally hitler mk2, and they can build 3 tanks per second.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Third time's the charm for Germany

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If that's true they basically totally falsified their work. They're hack frauds.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That happened four years ago. Neoliberals are still pushing austerity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edible Hat posted:

Conservatives too as far as I've seen?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grapplejack posted:

If that's true they basically totally falsified their work. They're hack frauds.

It's fine because they still stand behind their message and believe it or be true.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Edible Hat posted:

Imagine what admitting wrongdoing and changing directions would do to you politically. It's just not done old chap.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

oh my god

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
This is beautiful and horrible.

Why isn't this link GaussianCopula's title?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

kill me, just loving kill me

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

I guess this is the 'evidence based policy' that neoliberals tell us is in all our best interests?

Chuck it on the pile with massively falsified data on charter schools etc. I guess.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Austerity was seen as good just because of a godamn excel error!?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT!? :psyboom:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Austerity was never good, they just fabricated a good pretext to unleash it unto the world.Nazis came to power thanks to that loving awful idea.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
USSR and Korea are what happens when you drag austerity for too long.

Except rather than not wanting to spend money, they couldn't afford it. But the end result is the same.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The case for limiting debt in the Eurozone is (mostly) not build upon the idea that debt-to-GDP being above 90% suddenly slows down economic growth, but on the analysis that the Eurozone members don't have all the tools available to them that a traditional nation with full control over it's own currency would have. Therefore there are certain additional rules (60% debt-to-GDP, not more than 3% new debt etc.) that are meant to prevent countries from getting into situations where they are in deep trouble, because they can not longer borrow money on the market because the interest rates are to high for them.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

GaussianCopula posted:

The case for limiting debt in the Eurozone is (mostly) not build upon the idea that debt-to-GDP being above 90% suddenly slows down economic growth, but on the analysis that the Eurozone members don't have all the tools available to them that a traditional nation with full control over it's own currency would have. Therefore there are certain additional rules (60% debt-to-GDP, not more than 3% new debt etc.) that are meant to prevent countries from getting into situations where they are in deep trouble, because they can not longer borrow money on the market because the interest rates are to high for them.

Sorry, seems that the life jacket we threw you is filled with sand, and the end of the rope is not tied around our boat, but your neck. I guess you should just accept your lot. v:agesilaus:v

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Short version: Germany doesn't like inflation.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TheRat posted:

Inflation above the ECB target of close to but under 2% is very bad and has to be fought with fire.

Pesmerga posted:

Sorry, seems that the life jacket we threw you is filled with sand, and the end of the rope is not tied around our boat, but your neck. I guess you should just accept your lot. v:agesilaus:v

That's why you should have respected the warning signs to not go into the deep water if you can't swim aka go to deep into debt if your economy is not globally competitive.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 8, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TheRat posted:

They've got good reason not to, as an export heavy, industrial nation. Any inflation within the Euro would impact the German economy more severely than the rest of the Eurozone.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

TheRat posted:

Well they do have first hand experience of what hyperinflation looks like.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

GaussianCopula posted:

not more than 3% new debt etc.
Fun fact : the 3% rule has first been created in 1981 by Guy Abeille for newly-elected François Mitterand as a catch-all reason for dismissing any demands from his secretaries. It was first and foremost an internal communication tool, drapped in technocratic language for empowering it. But really, it has been birthed in less than 1 hour, in a restaurant without any theroic justification. And it didn't worked (french deficit exploded since 1981 despite this rule).
Despite being a failure, it was promoted by Jean-Claude Trichet to be incorporated in the Maastricht treaty.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Grouchio posted:

"We do not, however, believe this regrettable slip affects in any significant way the central message of the paper or that in our subsequent work."

if I understand the article correctly, the student actually did the right calculations and proved the "central message" was wrong. so how can they say this error doesn't affect their work?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

You know that prevention only works before something happens right

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Barbe Rouge posted:

"We do not, however, believe this regrettable slip affects in any significant way the central message of the paper or that in our subsequent work."

if I understand the article correctly, the student actually did the right calculations and proved the "central message" was wrong. so how can they say this error doesn't affect their work?

The Excel coding error did not actually influence the calculation by a lot, it was more the data selection and averaging method that changed the outcome (e.g. they decided to not include certain countries/years shortly after WW2) that changed the outcome. Basically "do not trust any statistic you don't fake yourself" kind of situation.

orange sky posted:

You know that prevention only works before something happens right

Greece literally had to fake data and pay Goldman-Sachs to help them with that to even get into the Euro. You can't tell me that the Greeks did not know that what they were doing was against the rules at the time.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

The Excel coding error did not actually influence the calculation by a lot, it was more the data selection and averaging method that changed the outcome (e.g. they decided to not include certain countries/years shortly after WW2) that changed the outcome. Basically "do not trust any statistic you don't fake yourself" kind of situation.

That was also pointed out by the student though, so their assessment that "it didn't change the outcome" must have included that point too.

The Harvard Professor who wrote the paper apparently was calling it all a witch hunt from the left: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/10/ken-rogoff-loses-it-calls-criticism-of-errors-in-debt-paper-a-witch-hunt.html This article also includes an interview he gave in Germany; that bit is in German (which I don't speak), but has comments in English.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

Greece literally had to fake data and pay Goldman-Sachs to help them with that to even get into the Euro. You can't tell me that the Greeks did not know that what they were doing was against the rules at the time.

Germany/France certainly knew as well, they let them in and repeatedly let them pass the ECB's tests while they were a member of the EU.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Grapplejack posted:

They've got good reason not to, as an export heavy, industrial nation. Any inflation within the Euro would impact the German economy more severely than the rest of the Eurozone.

But.... gently caress them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Germany/France certainly knew as well, they let them in and repeatedly let them pass the ECB's tests while they were a member of the EU.

Not to mention that so did Deutschebank and Commerzbank who both had the data to know better and yet they both pretended that it wasn't a thing and kept buying Greek bonds. In fact, the only stakeholder involved that couldn't have known better know was ironically the Greek electorate.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Well they do have first hand experience of what hyperinflation looks like.

Pretty much self-inflicted by the German government as a protest action against demands for war reparations.