Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

On another note.

(serious post)

I kinda wonder if social justice becoming this sort of fad/fashion statement is going to continue to cause more backlash? We could be seeing this sort of centrist, portraitist version of "social justice" dying off in the near future.

I kinda struggle to think how the :911: people will tolerate very much more of this. This isn't just a thought that rural whites will go "gently caress this poo poo", but I also wonder if we'll see various groups these people are advocating for get tired of the preachiness and lack of entertainment coming from these people. I imagine for most :911:'s they like the idea of shutting their brains off for a few hours, and not to be preached to on a nightly basis.
it's not even close to being over, just look at comedy central's current roster of shows. i'd imagine that most people are sick of "preach first, entertain second" shows, but they're not the ones making these shows or reviewing them. showrunners and writers for websites pat each other on the back over crap like Problematic. maybe i'm being too cynical but it feels like they're mutually boosting each other's egos

i don't see this phase of entertainment ending until either the entertainers get bored of it or the Daily Beasts of the world stop cheering them on, and i see no indication that this is coming to an end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all the self-congratulation is why i don't buy it and i think it's ego-stroking and virtue signalling that theyve totally convinced themselves is also making the world a better place

any actual improvements or reasonable ideas like having just having a best actor award instead of actor and actress like it's a 100 meter dash almost seem like happy accidents most of the time

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's not even close to being over, just look at comedy central's current roster of shows. i'd imagine that most people are sick of "preach first, entertain second" shows, but they're not the ones making these shows or reviewing them. showrunners and writers for websites pat each other on the back over crap like Problematic. maybe i'm being too cynical but it feels like they're mutually boosting each other's egos

i don't see this phase of entertainment ending until either the entertainers get bored of it or the Daily Beasts of the world stop cheering them on, and i see no indication that this is coming to an end
it's not over but Comedy Central's ratings are falling, yeah? But that might also be structural due to Netflix and so on.

I dunno. But I think the zeitgeist has been shifting although I'm not sure where it's going to land. The liberal press was doing the usual pearl-clutching routine at some of Chappelle's jokes in his recent special but what can they do? It was a huge hit and he made $60 million -- and the guy defined Comedy Central a decade ago and still seems more relevant now than Trevor Noah. The recipe circa 2009-2015 isn't cooking anymore.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I kinda wonder if social justice becoming this sort of fad/fashion statement is going to continue to cause more backlash? We could be seeing this sort of centrist, portraitist version of "social justice" dying off in the near future.

I kinda struggle to think how the :911: people will tolerate very much more of this. This isn't just a thought that rural whites will go "gently caress this poo poo", but I also wonder if we'll see various groups these people are advocating for get tired of the preachiness and lack of entertainment coming from these people. I imagine for most :911:'s they like the idea of shutting their brains off for a few hours, and not to be preached to on a nightly basis.
The Suey Park fiasco in 2014 might've been when it jumped the shark and when the momentum began shifting in favor of the backlash. I have a hard time imagining someone who had combined shallow social justice politics with a disposable fad/fashion statement as much as she did. I have no idea what Arthur Chu is up to these days. If anything they were replaced by their mirror-image in Milo Yiannopolous who then ran into his own troubles.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The Suey Park fiasco in 2014

I had completely forgot about this. Christ what a time to be alive.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I dunno. If the only thing keeping you from flipping from woke bae to screaming racist is one too many click bait pieces written by smug idiots, you were probably racist all along. :shrug:

Unless by "backlash" you mean everyone is going to get bored with bad lovely content and art like they usually do. In that case, yes, I agree.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The Suey Park fiasco in 2014 might've been when it jumped the shark and when the momentum began shifting in favor of the backlash. I have a hard time imagining someone who had combined shallow social justice politics with a disposable fad/fashion statement as much as she did.

What was this?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's just a garbage station, and it's pretty par for the course.

https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/861446591739297794

On another note.

(serious post)

This is already happening

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

mrmcd posted:

I dunno. If the only thing keeping you from flipping from woke bae to screaming racist is one too many click bait pieces written by smug idiots, you were probably racist all along. :shrug:

Unless by "backlash" you mean everyone is going to get bored with bad lovely content and art like they usually do. In that case, yes, I agree.

Latter is what I'm getting at.

It kinda reminds me of contemporary Christian art, music, movies. It just seems kinda bland and doesn't evoke a person to challenge themselves on how they think.

There seems to also be broader echos of how MTV missed the plot and entire pop culture movements post 1996 or so via the path they elected to take.

People eventually see through through this crap. It's why the president is who he is and why bernie is the most popular politician in the country.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Andorra posted:

What was this?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
trendies

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Andorra posted:

What was this?

Colbert made a joke about Dan Snyder (owner of a certain football team based in Landover, MD) creating/funding/supporting some group for the advancement of native americans. This group had the name of his football team in it. Colbert's joke pointed out the absurdity of naming an organization like that in such away that it contains a racial slur, and made his own (fake) group for Asian-Americans. Suey Park thought it wasn't okay to do that, even in obvious satire, started a #CancelColbert trend on the tweeters, and promptly had her life ruined by the Internet

hilariously, she also lived in Chicago, and the things she had to do to get away from it all reminded me of what happened to Bettman after he interfered with a ball at a Cubs game, causing the Cubs to miss the world series. Maybe Chicago is where oyu live if you want your life ruined by insane shitheads

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Colbert made a joke about Dan Snyder (owner of a certain football team based in Landover, MD) creating/funding/supporting some group for the advancement of native americans. This group had the name of his football team in it. Colbert's joke pointed out the absurdity of naming an organization like that in such away that it contains a racial slur, and made his own (fake) group for Asian-Americans. Suey Park thought it wasn't okay to do that, even in obvious satire, started a #CancelColbert trend on the tweeters, and promptly had her life ruined by the Internet

hilariously, she also lived in Chicago, and the things she had to do to get away from it all reminded me of what happened to Bettman after he interfered with a ball at a Cubs game, causing the Cubs to miss the world series. Maybe Chicago is where oyu live if you want your life ruined by insane shitheads

chicago owns

chicago gun violence is a meme

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

chicago owns

chicago gun violence is a meme

It's real, it just only takes place in one area because we're one of the most segregated cities in the US.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andorra posted:

What was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBPgXjkfBXM

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

agreed

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

It's real, it just only takes place in one area because we're one of the most segregated cities in the US.

oh i know its real i'm reflecting on the sad state of affairs when '5 dead in chicago' is as played out as landerig

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
chicago is an experimental city where the worst of the worst globalists run programs to figure out how to destroy humanity in interesting ways, check out mayor and obama

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

chicago is an experimental city where the worst of the worst globalists run programs to figure out how to destroy humanity in interesting ways, check out mayor and obama

what aspect of the world has obama destroyed, that is not also being destroyed by trump

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Baloogan posted:

rahm is awesome and is what chicago deserves

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

rahm is awesome and is what chicago deserves

MIGF go home.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Business Gorillas posted:

This is already happening

this. all the sitcoms now a days, even good stuff like Modern Family makes fun of these woke self flattering idiots. I honestly believe if the alt right/gamergate/trump winning hadn't happened or blown up as big, then these idiots would have been made completly irrelevant by now. but now they have enough boogiemen to keep going for another year or so. that being said, no one really likes them, sure they might agree with the core messages but they are sick of the didactic preaching and moralizing and damnations. they are also sick of how its become psudo religious.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

deadgoon posted:

what aspect of the world has obama destroyed, that is not also being destroyed by trump

Hope.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. all the sitcoms now a days, even good stuff like Modern Family makes fun of these woke self flattering idiots. I honestly believe if the alt right/gamergate/trump winning hadn't happened or blown up as big, then these idiots would have been made completly irrelevant by now. but now they have enough boogiemen to keep going for another year or so. that being said, no one really likes them, sure they might agree with the core messages but they are sick of the didactic preaching and moralizing and damnations. they are also sick of how its become psudo religious.

The biggest issue imo is that they ultimately don't do much. Excessive words without actually getting dudes elected to make the sane parts policy leads to it becoming more unhinged and thus more irrelevent. Experience grow people, and since all the major people are stunted their movement is too.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

MIGF go home.

please don't address people from the north burbs, thanks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Agean90 posted:

The biggest issue imo is that they ultimately don't do much. Excessive words without actually getting dudes elected to make the sane parts policy leads to it becoming more unhinged and thus more irrelevent. Experience grow people, and since all the major people are stunted their movement is too.

agreed, they talk big and make "critical detective" videos or articles to call something racist/sexist/etc. but they dont actually try to fix anything.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Well obama gave us some hope then took it away. Trump is actively seeking out and destroying any remaining hope like he's composed of some sort of elemental anti-hope matter.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jeb - Huckabee - Comey

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Nonsense posted:

Jeb - Huckabee - Comey

Wrong they're all Jeb!. Jeb! is in all forms.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/sannewman/status/861640676244672512

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'd much rather post about liberal twitter randos than brands haha.

:yeah:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

this is actually a tribute to Ice Hockey for the NES

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Agean90 posted:

And they are obsessed with pop culture soft bigotry bullshit.

But I guess you cover that with the word "stunted"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

And they are obsessed with pop culture soft bigotry bullshit.

But I guess you cover that with the word "stunted"

probaly because its easier then dealing with bigger problems. its easy to write a article or make a video about how tits/violence on media is bad, or how you shouldnt clap your hands because its ablest or cultures learning about each other and mixing is bad because reasons.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's like the left wing in this country is so dying to unshackle themselves from these idiots, but they're still in positions of power and influence. Still using their nepotism to run things, and the DNC prefers courting them to say people that want single payer.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed, they talk big and make "critical detective" videos or articles to call something racist/sexist/etc. but they dont actually try to fix anything.

Didn't Hillary give some sort of bullshit speech about how "Breaking up the banks" won't solve racism?

https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/857632578198790144

Also poo poo like this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's like the left wing in this country is so dying to unshackle themselves from these idiots, but they're still in positions of power and influence. Still using their nepotism to run things, and the DNC prefers courting them to say people that want single payer.

Didn't Hillary give some sort of bullshit speech about how "Breaking up the banks" won't solve racism?

https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/857632578198790144

Also poo poo like this.

are they though, yeah the main DNC does it because its their equivalent of red meat to keep them on board and it keeps the leftist at bay. most of the woke dipshits are either assholes on the internet/wannabe journalists or people trying to get in said assholes good graces, like celebrities and companies who know they can make money of them. i mean the assholes are the ones who helped killed occupy with this like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81A1kTXPa4

the dude is a dickhead rear end in a top hat but he kinda has a point of where it probably came from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvYSPxvrq5s

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 00:21 on May 9, 2017

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Having worked in the financial industry for 10 years, I can tell you that 99% of the decision makers, if given the choice between immigrant death camps and preschool transgender sensitivity training, would choose the option that makes them more money.

By 'them' I don't mean 'the shareholders', I mean the actual people making any arbitrary decision.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I thought for the first 3 minutes this was good and then he said the magic GG words and that was dumb

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

I thought for the first 3 minutes this was good and then he said the magic GG words and that was dumb

yeah pretty much. i only agree with the fact that it probably comes from alot of these kids coming from well off house holds where they were always winners or they came from evangelical house holds and rebelled hard against it. the rest is just alt right bitching. sorry about that.