Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Astroman posted:

They can spend millions to make a movie, but can't make a few uniforms for reasons.

I can imagine Levar Burton looking at some incredibly expensive catering on set and thinking "you know, if we cut that back by just 20% I probably wouldn't have to wear some other guys clothes." :(

They did design some Wrath of Kahn-like updates to the TNG uniform, but they decided not to use it.

They did at least make one for Levar Burton and filmed one scene before deciding to just use TNG and DS9 costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is that new Star Trek: Bridge Crew VR game only going to support local play? I feel like that's the case (gathering from the demo they put out at E3 last year with Levar Burton, Jeri Ryan, Karl Urban and Ensign Ricky playing it together in one room). If so, that seems like a really goddamn bad idea in a world where literally nobody has four HTC Vives sitting in one room.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

No, in fact it's cross-platform multiplayer with Vive, Oculus and PSVR all able to play together.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was hoping it wouldn't be cross platform so I wouldn't be tempted to get a PSVR to play it with my friends on Vive

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Dorn looks embarrassed as hell.

That's just being Worf.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'll get a PSVR (and Bridge Crew) when it drops in price. :colbert:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Did they ever fix the launch issues with the PSVR or is it still real hosed?

I'd love to get into VR but I don't have the room for a Vive... or the hundreds of dollars needed for VR really, but yeah.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still can't tell if VR is a fad or something that's sticking around for a while. That bridge simulator is cool, but I can't think of anything else worth the price of a VR setup.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think VR is around for a little bit yet. I just went to A MAZE., the big indie games fest in Berlin and probably a good third of games there utilised VR in some fashion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

VR is also getting a big push (at least, bigger than I thought it would) outside the games industry too. My company's looking at adopting it as both an event feature and as a possible retail/education aid.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Veotax posted:

They did design some Wrath of Kahn-like updates to the TNG uniform, but they decided not to use it.

They did at least make one for Levar Burton and filmed one scene before deciding to just use TNG and DS9 costumes.

So the Romulan spy gets the updated uniform.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Astroman posted:

Chris Pine hosted SNL last night and they did a Star Trek skit. It's serviceable, but of note is Pine in the TOS uniform and on a facsimile of the tv bridge, and doing a credible Shatner version of Kirk.

Am I wrong that I kinda want to see him do that in the movies? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuFfmnu34rs
That was pretty great, Pine's Shatner is amazing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still can't tell if VR is a fad or something that's sticking around for a while. That bridge simulator is cool, but I can't think of anything else worth the price of a VR setup.

VR will be around forever now in some fashion. It's really good for the sim community, so they will keep the flame lit. Even if the industry kind of dies, it will still live on in some fashion through people who need it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cojawfee posted:

VR will be around forever now in some fashion. It's really good for the sim community, so they will keep the flame lit. Even if the industry kind of dies, it will still live on in some fashion through people who need it.

The real watershed for VR will be when we get an Oculus or Vive at a price point that is half of what it is now. It's not that unrealistic within the next two years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Developers are still trying to get a handle on what makes a good VR game and push the boundaries. When they get it right though, the experience is transformative. I'm actually really excited to see what's done in the commercial space. Wireless VR combined with the escape room concept or even laser tag has the potential to be mind blowing and as close to a holodeck as we are going to see in our lifetimes.

I have a Rift and one of my other friends has a Vive. This may be the push I need to get a PS4 and PS4 VR so we would at least be able to do 3 player.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I don't have the space or cash for VR, but as part of my job I'm heavily involved in looking at its potential applications in the business world. I've had the chance not long ago to spend some time with a Vive at an agency, and couldn't pry myself away from Google Earth VR. It can really be a profound and emotional experience if you allow it to be.

I get to try out a Hololens on Thursday, though I'm a bit less enthused for that judging my some of the things I've read about how mixed reality stands up compared to VR.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We should talk about how bad the Klingon wedding outfits are.

because they look like Renaissance Festival workers
YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED BAJOR. *whipcrack*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 15 "If Wishes Were Horses"

"Shore Leave" meets "The Naked Time." I'm going to be doing this all season, aren't I? Mostly I was (irrationally) disappointed that Rumplestiltskin wasn't Robert Carlyle.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 15 "If Wishes Were Horses"

"Shore Leave" meets "The Naked Time." I'm going to be doing this all season, aren't I? Mostly I was (irrationally) disappointed that Rumplestiltskin wasn't Robert Carlyle.

Basically. I'm not sure why, but I think only TOS (and TAS naturally) were the series that knew what it was doing from the first episode

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
In "shore leave" are the wishes supposed to be worm hole aliens or are they just your generic run of the mill incorporeal species that don't understand the races from our dimension?

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 8, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The latter, I think, although it suffers from the same really abrupt ending a lot of these have gotten and there's not a lot of wrap-up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Basically. I'm not sure why, but I think only TOS (and TAS naturally) were the series that knew what it was doing from the first episode

TOS painted its characters and situations in broader strokes (as did most TV back then) -- but at least it painted them, very early on. They could do an episode like that early in the series because we already knew everything we would need to know about the characters.
TNG & DS9 attempted something deeper, subtler, and more complex -- to some extent by necessity, since it wasn't the '60s anymore -- but still thought they could get away with doing that kind of episode in the first season. It didn't work so well. They were still just starting to lay the groundwork for these characters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

In "shore leave" are the wishes supposed to be worm hole aliens or are they just your generic run of the mill incorporeal species that don't understand the races from our dimension?

Not even that. It's a giant hidden machine that manufactures robots to embody your fantasies and desires, and all working properly, but Kirk's crew were confused and didn't know that if you 'died' you just got whisked away and patched up and it was all part of the game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 8, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Edit ignore

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Not even that. It's a giant hidden machine that manufactures robots to embody your fantasies and desires, and all working properly, but Kirk's crew were confused and didn't know that if you 'died' you just got whisked away and patched up and it was all part of the game.

Oh whoops, I meant to ask about "if wishes were horses" -- reading is hard :/

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Oh whoops, I meant to ask about "if wishes were horses" -- reading is hard :/

I knew that was what you meant, so my reply is valid.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sir Lemming posted:

TOS painted its characters and situations in broader strokes (as did most TV back then) -- but at least it painted them, very early on. They could do an episode like that early in the series because we already knew everything we would need to know about the characters.
TNG & DS9 attempted something deeper, subtler, and more complex -- to some extent by necessity, since it wasn't the '60s anymore -- but still thought they could get away with doing that kind of episode in the first season. It didn't work so well. They were still just starting to lay the groundwork for these characters.

It's a fair point. I not so long ago saw the first season of the X-files, and I was surprised how well sorted the show was even in its initial episodes, and sorta wished the Treks could launch strong like that.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Drone posted:

The real watershed for VR will be when we get an Oculus or Vive at a price point that is half of what it is now. It's not that unrealistic within the next two years.

One of the biggest hurdles is that it is very difficult to figure out how to move in traditional ways without causing the user to vomit. You can't use traditional controls, so a lot of concepts are dead in the water since causing people to up chuck is not a good business model outside of starting a bulimia accessories company.

The obvious answer is a 360 degree treadmill, but that's not going to happen due to the cost. So now we have a cool technology that is limited to arcade esq experiences and movies where you hurt your neck trying to see everything in the frame.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A bunch of my more SERIOUS GAMER nerd types have VR headsets and say playing any sort of driving/flying/space game without it is now nearly unimaginable. But outside of some short tech-demo style VR-only titles and the hardcore sim crowd it's going to take prices really coming down for mass adoption. Also it means your video card has to work twice as hard, so you need a really beefy PC. It's going to stay a high end niche gamer thing for a while.

I'll look at stuff like bridge commander or work simulator or the rick and morty game and think that would be cool to play, but not enough to spend a fortune for the setup for something you'll probably get sick of quick. What's interesting though is that suddenly in the last few months VR cafe's have been opening up. It's like when the internet first became a thing and you'd get internet cafes all over. So go in with some friends, pay to play bridge commander or what ever for a few hours.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

WampaLord posted:

I remember playing the Star Trek: Borg interactive movie game and it was great fun because John DeLancie owns.

Though my friend and I had a loving devil of a time clicking the button on the bottom of the phaser, cause the game gives you like a split second to react.

I got stuck at one point in this game because it just absolutely refused to register my clicks on a control panel somewhere. So I edited the save file to put me just past that point. I forget how I did that though. It was 20 years ago almost. I posted the solution to a usenet group, back when those were still used for discussion, and promptly got flamed by some loser because I "cheated". :spergin:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Teleporting in VR becomes pretty second nature if you do it awhile. Most shooters nowadays are cover based so it would translate quite well.

There's all kinds of neat concepts and they're still figuring things out, but a lot of what's out there already is pretty awesome.

Being IN an environment can be pretty overwhelming sometimes. It's so easy to forget you are in a much smaller space.

Going wireless is a thing that will happen sooner rather than later. Eye tracking along with more powerful GPUs will continue to up the realism while those same rendering tricks will open up FOV.

The haptic feedback in the touch controllers is scary good. Using a bow in Valve's VR Labs game is really convincing, you get the feel of tension through the vibrations in the controller. Your brain quickly edits out that you feel no real resistance when your eyes see the bow and the vibrations tell you there's tension in it.

We're on the cusp of something really amazing here.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
ENT S3E13: "Proving Ground"

Jeffrey Combs owns. Commander Shran owns. More of this, please, Enterprise.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

I got stuck at one point in this game because it just absolutely refused to register my clicks on a control panel somewhere. So I edited the save file to put me just past that point. I forget how I did that though. It was 20 years ago almost. I posted the solution to a usenet group, back when those were still used for discussion, and promptly got flamed by some loser because I "cheated". :spergin:

Read this as dicks and wondered what you were trying to do to that control panel.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Teleporting in VR becomes pretty second nature if you do it awhile. Most shooters nowadays are cover based so it would translate quite well.

There's all kinds of neat concepts and they're still figuring things out, but a lot of what's out there already is pretty awesome.

Being IN an environment can be pretty overwhelming sometimes. It's so easy to forget you are in a much smaller space.

Going wireless is a thing that will happen sooner rather than later. Eye tracking along with more powerful GPUs will continue to up the realism while those same rendering tricks will open up FOV.

The haptic feedback in the touch controllers is scary good. Using a bow in Valve's VR Labs game is really convincing, you get the feel of tension through the vibrations in the controller. Your brain quickly edits out that you feel no real resistance when your eyes see the bow and the vibrations tell you there's tension in it.

We're on the cusp of something really amazing here.

Not if normal people don't adopt it. And that's VRs other problem: How do you convince a normal person to spend $300-$1200 on a VR rig? You can't show cool videos of whats up, or any kind of mass demonstration. You need to give people a go on the headset to experiance why it is different, and that is a bitch to try and do for people who aren't even skeptic about the future of VR, they just don't really give a poo poo about it unlike current gaming media.

Don't get me wrong, its cool to see the tech evolve, but the chances of it becoming the next big thing commercially aren't that great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

From what I remember, isn't there a semi-forgotten plot point that one of the senior crew is a robot from that point on?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MrJacobs posted:

Not if normal people don't adopt it. And that's VRs other problem: How do you convince a normal person to spend $300-$1200 on a VR rig? You can't show cool videos of whats up, or any kind of mass demonstration. You need to give people a go on the headset to experiance why it is different, and that is a bitch to try and do for people who aren't even skeptic about the future of VR, they just don't really give a poo poo about it unlike current gaming media.

Don't get me wrong, its cool to see the tech evolve, but the chances of it becoming the next big thing commercially aren't that great.

Most of the new flagship phones can do VR in some fashion now. It's not as detailed as something like the Rift/Vive, but it gets the core concept out pretty well.

I've introduced a lot of people to VR though Daydream and "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" and they become really interested really fast.

I know this really is in the "water is wet" category, but children under 10 take to it like breathing. All they need is a taste and they are going to seek it out like crazy.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Railing Kill posted:

You cannot grasp the true form of the Muppet Factory's attack!

This was from a million years ago but I have to post my appreciation for this

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We should talk about how bad the Klingon wedding outfits are.

because they look like Renaissance Festival workers

I kinda want to cut Dax out of the picture (because she has the wrong pose for it) and get an oil painting of Worf posing like this, in this outfit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

I kinda want to cut Dax out of the picture (because she has the wrong pose for it) and get an oil painting of Worf posing like this, in this outfit.

"I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world."
"I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges."
"His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit."
"He is a loathesome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away."
"He transcends time and space."
"He sickens me."
"I love it."
"Me too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MrJacobs posted:

One of the biggest hurdles is that it is very difficult to figure out how to move in traditional ways without causing the user to vomit. You can't use traditional controls, so a lot of concepts are dead in the water since causing people to up chuck is not a good business model outside of starting a bulimia accessories company.

The obvious answer is a 360 degree treadmill, but that's not going to happen due to the cost. So now we have a cool technology that is limited to arcade esq experiences and movies where you hurt your neck trying to see everything in the frame.

Resident Evil 7 manages quite well with fairly standard controls but it has a few extra features to make it less vomit-inducing. You do still get a bit nauseous after a while and I ended up just playing most of the game without it though.