Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I updated my post to give actual argument for why I think the character choice was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's not exactly out of character for him either. You get the feeling that if anything kept Rocket in line in the first film it was Groot, and now Groot's a baby so Rocket is free to wallow in his own crapulence. His worst instincts come to the fore and trouble follows.

Though in his defense the Sovereign are elitist eugenicist dicks so stealing from them is basically stealing from Nazis right. (I doubt he thought that much about it, though.)

They're not so much using controlled breeding to get rid of inferiors as they're just genetically engineering the poo poo out of themselves to the point where they don't even have babies anymore. It's similar, but not the same thing. Massive, elitist, pricks though. Really need to engineer that stick out their rear end.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, you can call anything shallow and surface-level. It didn't stop me from crying during a loving Marvel movie.

I lost my dad a couple years back, and a heartbreaking A-plot about fathers and sons was not what I was expecting.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Though in his defense the Sovereign are elitist eugenicist dicks

The Sovereign are also esports spergs.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A bunch more redundant pics and exposition

You're not 100% a pedantic dick. But you're getting close.

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, you can call anything shallow and surface-level. It didn't stop me from crying during a loving Marvel movie.

I lost my dad a couple years back, and a heartbreaking A-plot about fathers and sons was not what I was expecting.

Yeah, this hit me harder than I expected, especially the "He may have been your father, but he wasn't your daddy" line, because my wife basically went through the same thing (aside from space pirates) being raised by a foster father. First time i've teared up like that at a movie in a while

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 8, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus Christ I actually welled up with tears at the end. How... that song is way to powerful and once Rocket says they all came - I lost it.

Great movie for the most part. Was sorta upset they didn't visit many other locations but it works. That ending hits like a 10-ton truck tho. Beautiful.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Deathwing posted:

You're not 100% a pedantic dick. But you're getting close.

I don't know that I believe anyone is 100% a pedantic dick, 'mam.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yakmouth posted:

Vol 1 is on FX and they just did that line. Vol 2 really did miss John C Reilly

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

howe_sam posted:

You can say that about almost any movie, honestly.

It would have been hard to include him, though, without it feeling shoehorned in.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Yakmouth posted:

:getin:

howe_sam posted:

And yeah, I was thinking the same thing, especially since I was re-reading a bunch of Nova comics lately.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Have there been any casting rumours about Reilly being in Infinity Wars? Thanos is going to have to swing by Xandar to pick up the power stone at some point, so it would be a perfect time to bring back him and Close.

Yakmouth fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 8, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus Christ I actually welled up with tears at the end. How... that song is way to powerful and once Rocket says they all came - I lost it.

Great movie for the most part. Was sorta upset they didn't visit many other locations but it works. That ending hits like a 10-ton truck tho. Beautiful.

that bit with the other Ravagers really took me out of it, actually. the movie can't make up its mind whether they're an honorable outlaw kingdom or a pack of vicious, idiotic cutthroats, and in the latter case why are we supposed to care about their respect? It works in the first movie because they're firmly the latter and Yondu doesn't give a crap about respect, actually, they're barely-manageable extensions of his will that he steers around at whim through fear and outsmarting the mooks. I mean, the real answer is 'because Gunn didn't feel like his reconciliation with Quill was enough on its own' but it just comes off feeling cheap, trying to pile on unearned pathos to make it all about sad dead dad because the movie ostensibly about family can't deal with actual uncomfortable family dynamics

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 8, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am honestly getting really sick of the humor in the MCU movies.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that bit with the other Ravagers really took me out of it, actually. the movie can't make up its mind whether they're an honorable outlaw kingdom or a pack of vicious, idiotic cutthroats

......no it's pretty simple. The Ravagers in general are space pirates with an ethos, Yondu's Ravagers are even more amoral in their quest to get paid. Yondu himself is generally a pretty ok guy who made some bad choices. I mean he was already established as a softy with the troll doll in the first one, it's not like the movie reinvented him or something. What was hard about that for you to grasp?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Was really disappointed this didn't show up somewhere in the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8
Could have popped up on the zune

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He did a song for the credits though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Roth posted:

I am honestly getting really sick of the humor in the MCU movies.

The nipples joke was pretty cringe, but the Mary Poppins joke was pretty clever. Only Quinn knew Mary Poppins was a female, so he just humored him when he asked "is he cool?". It didn't matter what Mary Poppins was cause they were all aliens, he was really just looking to see something from Quinn about it. Its my favorite quote of the movie.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This was a good movie, and I enjoyed it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Was anyone else not particularly charmed by Baby Groot? It was very clear to me that the week after the first Guardians came out and everyone flipped a poo poo over him in the credits (which was a cute/fun little joke) that Disney went to Gunn and said "Groot's a baby now" and Gunn just rolled with it. I think a couple of the jokes about his stupidity were fun but it really does feel like a very focus group decision. I'm sure he'll be back to adult Groot by vol 3 (if they make an entire movie with teen Groot I'll roll my eyes so loving hard they spin out of my skull).

Also the Sovereign were kinda pointless. I liked Ayesha as a character but it felt very artificial to bring them into the final battle, as if fighting Ego alone wasn't enough.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

The nipples joke was pretty cringe, but the Mary Poppins joke was pretty clever. Only Quinn knew Mary Poppins was a female, so he just humored him when he asked "is he cool?". It didn't matter what Mary Poppins was cause they were all aliens, he was really just looking to see something from Quinn about it. Its my favorite quote of the movie.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all!

This is what I came to this thread for. This scene/joke is what I will remember the movie most by, at least for now.

I just saw it and am pretty intoxicated, so it definitely warrants a repeat viewing soon.

Pretty much an ad for the new Emily Blunt movie.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DC Murderverse posted:

It was very clear to me that the week after the first Guardians came out and everyone flipped a poo poo over him in the credits (which was a cute/fun little joke) that Disney went to Gunn and said "Groot's a baby now" and Gunn just rolled with it.

Nah, it's a small part but it's fairly central to the themes of fathers and sons for this movie, as well as the theme of family in general they roll with. And he is a baby. He's not just a tinier stupid Groot, he really is needy and fussy and selfish and silly in the ways a toddler would be, and the group comes together to raise him. Right down to Peter saying he knows how Yondu felt when he has to deal with surly rear end in a top hat teen Groot. I wouldn't lose him for anything, that's a hell of a scene with him and Peter sitting and listening to music.

quote:

Also the Sovereign were kinda pointless. I liked Ayesha as a character but it felt very artificial to bring them into the final battle, as if fighting Ego alone wasn't enough.

Hilariously fighting Ego wasn't enough, and they would have taken care of him just fine if they didn't show up to make things harder.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Was anyone else not particularly charmed by Baby Groot? It was very clear to me that the week after the first Guardians came out and everyone flipped a poo poo over him in the credits (which was a cute/fun little joke) that Disney went to Gunn and said "Groot's a baby now" and Gunn just rolled with it. I think a couple of the jokes about his stupidity were fun but it really does feel like a very focus group decision. I'm sure he'll be back to adult Groot by vol 3 (if they make an entire movie with teen Groot I'll roll my eyes so loving hard they spin out of my skull).

Yeah cgi dancing baby was pretty lame.

The Sovereign were awesome though. I mean they didn't add anything and it was confusing what the crew was going to do to a ship battalion with handheld weapons. And also why sustained fire didn't destroy the ship thing or do much of anything at all. But the music video playing when they first warped in was really dope.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

You're just being, like, super pedantic. You've gotten to the point where you're arguing that it doesn't look trippy because it doesn't literally resemble a Jack Kirby panel out of a comic book, as though that's the only acceptable definition of "trippy".

They fly in through an eye socket into a cavernous, excavated skull, complete with what appear to be vertebrae in the background, and pools of cerebrospinal fluid. And, again, it's the techno-organic skull of a space god

from before the universe
. It's spooky and mysterious just for what it is.

I pointed out why the shot of Knowhere isn't trippy and why Jack Kirby's art was. The actual definition of "trippy" is that it's akin to the hallucinatory effect of a psychedelic drug

Again, you're overdescribing the basic concept and summary of what's happening on screen, without any references to cinematography or direction. Knowhere is an entirely prosaic place, the fact that it's a giant head is minimally utilized, with the only real effect is the mining drone chase/battle. It's not like it was a particularly stunning concept in the original comics; them having to navigate a giant body would have been much more interesting.

Franchescanado posted:

For emphasis, I really can't name creative details from any other Marvel movie or DCU that surpasses that without looking out of GotG franchise.

A battle on a floating island that's coming crashing down to destroy everything is close, but GotG has sevral other sets that beat that.

Well, the dirty secret of these movies is that they only get the praise they do because they're not judged in relation to other movies. There are plenty of sequences in movies, and even comic book movies, that better than merely adequate sequences like Knowhere. You can compare it to the Krypton sequence in Man of Steel, with it's overwhelming visual splendor that is disorienting and hallucinatory.

Or the delighful planet factory sequence in the painfully mediocre Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

Comparing things like GotG2's face-warping hyperspace pinball to other movies, it's reaching towards HItch-Hiker's surprisingly high standard of visuals.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 8, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a more emotional connection to GOTG than both of those movies combined. GOTG overall was a great film experience, and one I enjoy revisiting every once in a while.

You can call it ugly forever, but at the end of the day, a film is more than just the images. Some argue that's all films are, but I disagree so very, very much.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
GOTG2 owns.
That lamp guy is trolling.
I liked the part when the raccoon and the whistle knife guy killed a bunch of dudes.
This is the only Marvel movie that I wish I'd been more sober for, cuz it was legitimately really really fun.

e: Did any Iain M Banks fans think that the Sovereign was supposed to be a broad caricature of The Culture?
There were a couple of lines that were almost lifted word for word from the novels.

CARL MARK FORCE IV fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 8, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I had a more emotional connection to GOTG than both of those movies combined. GOTG overall was a great film experience, and one I enjoy revisiting every once in a while.

You can call it ugly forever, but at the end of the day, a film is more than just the images. Some argue that's all films are, but I disagree so very, very much.

Well yes, that is because of the safe and non-threatening direction and visuals. It's perfectly indicative of these movies.

e:

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

e: Did any Iain M Banks fans think that the Sovereign was supposed to be a broad caricature of The Culture?
There were a couple of lines that were almost lifted word for word from the novels.

Not really. What lines were those?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 8, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DC Murderverse posted:

Was anyone else not particularly charmed by Baby Groot? It was very clear to me that the week after the first Guardians came out and everyone flipped a poo poo over him in the credits (which was a cute/fun little joke) that Disney went to Gunn and said "Groot's a baby now" and Gunn just rolled with it. I think a couple of the jokes about his stupidity were fun but it really does feel like a very focus group decision.

I was initially more harsh on the film because of the intro put me off and I became a jaded rear end in a top hat. The intro of 1 really told you what kind of movie you were getting, the opening is very emotional, then transistions to a sci fi epic, then bam, "Come and Get Your Love" starts playing, and it's hilarious. The intro to 2 felt so bland and then it translations to baby groot dancing while all the action is ignored, it's like the plot had to stop to sell me a toy commericial, so I was just sort of cynical.

Given time to reflect I did come to really liking it. I like character stories, especially when all the marvel movies can focus on being BIG and WORLD ENDING, some personal time with characters I like was really nice. The secondary characters and Kurt Russel loving killed it as well. I still don't think it hit quite the heights of the first one but if the third can combine the strength of act 1 and 2 of gotg1 with act 3 of gotg 2 itd be a damned fine movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I pointed out why the shot of Knowhere isn't trippy and why Jack Kirby's art was. The actual definition of "trippy" is that it's akin to the hallucinatory effect of a psychedelic drug

It looks like a blacklight poster you'd see in a head shop. Trippiness does not begin and end with Jack Kirby.

quote:

Again, you're overdescribing the basic concept and summary of what's happening on screen, without any references to cinematography or direction. Knowhere is an entirely prosaic place, the fact that it's a giant head is minimally utilized, with the only real effect is the mining drone chase/battle. It's not like it was a particularly stunning concept in the original comics; them having to navigate a giant body would have been much more interesting.

They go to the skull of a dead god to be given important knowledge pertaining to the creation of the universe, knowledge that shifts Quill's perspective and changes the course of their quest. It's not Fantastic Voyage because it's not trying to be, and you wanting the movie to do something it's obviously not trying to isn't a mark against it.

quote:

Well, the dirty secret of these movies is that they only get the praise they do because they're not judged in relation to other movies. There are plenty of sequences in movies, and even comic book movies, that better than merely adequate sequences like Knowhere. You can compare it to the Krypton sequence in Man of Steel, with it's overwhelming visual splendor that is disorienting and hallucinatory.

Or the delighful planet factory sequence in the painfully mediocre Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

Comparing things like GotG2's face-warping hyperspace pinball to other movies, it's reaching towards HItch-Hiker's surprisingly high standard of visuals.

And now we're at the part where you just post endless comparison screencaps. The Knowhere sequence is fantastic. It's not the same as those other films. Nor should it be.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Did MoS look that lovely originally or is that more of his terrible screen cap degradation?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah I don't see how the picture of *beige* he posted makes his point at all.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I swear I'm not being a contrarian for the sake of it when I say that those two shots from MoS are ugly. The second one has a nice green with uses of red, but it's pretty basic framing and it's Color Theory 101. You just need a color wheel for them.

I agree, those shots from HG2G are nice, the second one is a clever site gag, but neither are better than either Guardians movies. If you want to debate on whether or not HG2G had a good aesthetic, I won't. It's a very good movie based on it's set design, color design, puppetry, etc. I also specifically said in the post you quoted "There aren't levels of Guardians creativity within the MCU or DCU". I could very easily point to a movie that looks better than Guardians of the Galaxy outside of the rubrik of comic-book based movies, like The Eyes of My Mother, but then I'd lean back towards Guardians strong-point, which is character interaction beyond quips and arguments, where they aren't trying to please the audience every second, where the jokes (while not necessarily all landing), are all well within the characterization, and where they actually feel like there is relationship developing, where personalities clash. MoS and HG2G, the movies you keep wanting to jerk off, don't even manage that. In fact, HG2G wasn't as good as the book because it lost the charming character interactions and wit that makes them work in the book.

Hell, if you want to go by sheer amount of work that went into it, Zack Snyder just directs, and he lifts frames directly from his comic books. James Gunn researched the hell out of every era of Guardians and other Cosmic Marvel comic he could get his hands on just for material to create an original story from it. From there, there's a lot of personal stuff going on that, if you read any interview with him, is there. He wrote, directed, and cast the movie while also opening up the world for more installments, which he's helped plan it out. Snyder can't write. At all. James Gunn wrote Snyder's best movie. I don't even think Snyder gets a big say-so on the casting of his films, since DC execs are infamous for pushing their own agenda.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 8, 2017

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I swear I'm not being a contrarian for the sake of it when I say that those two shots from MoS are ugly. The second one has a nice green with uses of red, but it's pretty basic framing and it's Color Theory 101. You just need a color wheel for them.

I agree, those shots from HG2G are nice, the second one is a clever site gag, but neither are better than either Guardians movies. If you want to debate on whether or not HG2G had a good aesthetic, I won't. It's a very good movie based on it's set design, color design, puppetry, etc. I also specifically said in the post you quoted "There aren't levels of Guardians creativity within the MCU or DCU". I could very easily point to a movie that looks better than Guardians of the Galaxy outside of the rubrik of comic-book based movies, like The Eyes of My Mother, but then I'd lean back towards Guardians strong-point, which is character interaction beyond quips and arguments, where they aren't trying to please the audience every second, where the jokes (while not necessarily all landing), are all well within the characterization, and where they actually feel like there is relationship developing, where personalities clash. MoS and HG2G, the movies you keep wanting to jerk off, don't even manage that. In fact, HG2G wasn't as good as the book because it lost the charming character interactions and wit that makes them work in the book.

Hell, if you want to go by sheer amount of work that went into it, Zack Snyder just directs, and he lifts frames directly from his comic books. James Gunn researched the hell out of every era of Guardians and other Cosmic Marvel comic he could get his hands on just for material to create an original story from it. From there, there's a lot of personal stuff going on that, if you read any interview with him, is there. He wrote, directed, and cast the movie while also opening up the world for more installments, which he's helped plan it out. Snyder can't write. At all. James Gunn wrote Snyder's best movie. I don't even think Snyder gets a big say-so on the casting of his films, since DC execs are infamous for pushing their own agenda.

Just try and ignore Lamps, dude - I know it's hard to resist, but at this point either he's trolling or he's just super obtuse and determined to post screencaps until the end of time regardless.

In other news, I put Mr. Blue Sky on during today's bright & sunny commute, and things were good :toot:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

It looks like a blacklight poster you'd see in a head shop. Trippiness does not begin and end with Jack Kirby.

They go to the skull of a dead god to be given important knowledge pertaining to the creation of the universe, knowledge that shifts Quill's perspective and changes the course of their quest. It's not Fantastic Voyage because it's not trying to be, and you wanting the movie to do something it's obviously not trying to isn't a mark against it.

You're just repeating that it's trippy and inspiring because "there's a skull of a dead god". It's actually a pretty sedate sequence despite the concept, and as mentioned the framing, use of negative space, and colour make it unimpressive.

Mulva posted:

Did MoS look that lovely originally or is that more of his terrible screen cap degradation?

Franchescanado posted:

What exactly is ugly about them? How the harsh light and overbearing shadows emphasise the nightmarish, dystopic feeling of Krypton? It's both splendid and uncomfortable. That's the effect.

Franchescanado posted:

but then I'd lean back towards Guardians strong-point, which is character interaction beyond quips and arguments, where they aren't trying to please the audience every second, where the jokes (while not necessarily all landing), are all well within the characterization, and where they actually feel like there is relationship developing, where personalities clash. MoS and HG2G, the movies you keep wanting to jerk off, don't even manage that. In fact, HG2G wasn't as good as the book because it lost the charming character interactions and wit that makes them work in the book.

Neither GotG movie has good writing or characters. The dialogue for example is extremely amateurish. Meta-ironic mumbling like the Taserface exchange is just bad.

And then you just get weird and conspiratorial. Zack Snyder "just directs" and steals his shots from comic books? You're appealing to James Gunn's immense passion, that he both wrote, directed, and produced, but that's hardly impressive when the result is rather mediocre franchise sci-fi. Yeah, Marc F. Adler spent almost a decade developing, writing, and then directing and producing Delgo, so what? You seem to have created some fantasy about heroic Gunn and devilish no-good Snyder.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 8, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I just want to know why nobody knows who David Hasselhoff is but they know what scotch tape and tasers are.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nail Rat posted:

I just want to know why nobody knows who David Hasselhoff is but they know what scotch tape and tasers are.

In the MCU, scotch tape was invented by aliens so it's an item used throughout the galaxy.

I imagine every culture has some sort of taser like device.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Nail Rat posted:

I'm assuming they heard it from Quill since the guy goes on and on about 80s Earth stuff. He might have had some passing dialogue with Sovereign earlier 'please don't taser us' or something, or maybe the pirate started calling himself taserface because he overheard kid Quill saying it. All the characters involved had interacted with Quill at some point previously, so they probably picked it up from him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Deathwing posted:

Just try and ignore Lamps, dude - I know it's hard to resist, but at this point either he's trolling or he's just super obtuse and determined to post screencaps until the end of time regardless.

In other news, I put Mr. Blue Sky on during today's bright & sunny commute, and things were good :toot:

You're right. I was hoping it'd get into an actual discussion.

Edit: I've been listening to a lot of ELO and Brandy (of course)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

why do they all speak english. why are most of them either human or humanoid despite the fact any alien species would actually be completely different from us in almost inconceivable ways. why is rocket a raccoon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trash Panda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Groovelord Neato posted:

why is rocket a raccoon.

Everyone having a different notion of what Rocket is was a good running gag (fox, rat, puppy, triangle-faced monkey)

• Locked thread