Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Before we get further in this conversation, everyone remember that the point of the bechdel test isn't "a particular show is sexist if it fails the test", it's "the industry is sexist if most shows fail the test". It's fine for a show to be about men, it's just that almost every show is one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I've been thinking about it and Breaking Bad fails the Bechdel test pretty spectacularly for a critically-acclaimed TV series with 5 seasons

There are only ten named female characters that I can think of, after wracking my brain, and only six of them are really plot-critical:

Skyler
Marie
Jane
Lydia
Gretchen
Andrea
---------------
Wendy (meth addict hooker)
Carmen (high school principal)
Kaylee (Mike's granddaughter)
Francesca (Saul's receptionist)

And of the six important ones, the only ones to ever meet each other are Skyler and Gretchen/Skyler and Marie, and all of their conversations are about Walt (or Ted) in one way or another.

Yikes.

I think you'll find that Skyler and Lydia met at the car wash!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Ditocoaf posted:

Before we get further in this conversation, everyone remember that the point of the bechdel test isn't "a particular show is sexist if it fails the test", it's "the industry is sexist if most shows fail the test". It's fine for a show to be about men, it's just that almost every show is one of those.

I wonder if there's been an uptick in non-consequential dialogues between female characters in movies because of the Bechdel test, though I can't really say I've noticed one.
I also don't watch movies that often so I wouldn't know.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sagebrush posted:

I've been thinking about it and Breaking Bad fails the Bechdel test pretty spectacularly for a critically-acclaimed TV series with 5 seasons

There are only ten named female characters that I can think of, after wracking my brain, and only six of them are really plot-critical:

Skyler
Marie
Jane
Lydia
Gretchen
Andrea
---------------
Wendy (meth addict hooker)
Carmen (high school principal)a
Kaylee (Mike's granddaughter)
Francesca (Saul's receptionist)

And of the six important ones, the only ones to ever meet each other are Skyler and Gretchen/Skyler and Marie, and all of their conversations are about Walt (or Ted) in one way or another.

Yikes.

Wrong, Skyler and Marie had a dumbshit conversation about a stolen tiara where Skyler was her typical bitchy self forcing Marie to apologize even though it was something that had happened many episodes prior. Therefore, the series is not sexist.

Thank you lovely pointless shoplifting storyline.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
There's a Breaking Bad thread for you all to have this lovely argument for the thousandth time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is also a Breaking Bad thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, for everyone who loved Erin from Davis and Main, she's in the second season of Love on Netflix.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Please spoiler all Breaking Bad discussion tia

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

-Walt's a bad guy!
-Tuco is crazy!
-Jesse moves to Alaska and opens a furniture store!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, but just like everything on the internet, people don't use it the way it was intended. It's also by no means a hallmark of quality of the characters it describes. A scene with a bunch of offensively stereotypical ditzy blondes talking about shoes, shopping, lipstick, and babies would pass, but a strong female soldier leading a group of men to victory wouldn't. It's a flawed and silly benchmark in that regard.

drunken officeparty posted:

Whoa Mikes niece of daughter in law or whatever the gently caress is played by the sister that bangs her brother in Rome
I've noticed several Rome actors showing up in TV lately. Octavia on this show obviously, Servilia on The Leftovers, Brutus on Outlander, Pullo on Black Sails, and Antony's in a bunch of stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, but just like everything on the internet, people don't use it the way it was intended. It's also by no means a hallmark of quality of the characters it describes. A scene with a bunch of offensively stereotypical ditzy blondes talking about shoes, shopping, lipstick, and babies would pass, but a strong female soldier leading a group of men to victory wouldn't. It's a flawed and silly benchmark in that regard.

I think it's particularly meaningful in a TV show, though, where you have dozens of hours of content. Breaking Bad is about 48 hours long, and throughout that entire run, there's been one (1) conversation, lasting like 3 minutes, that was between two women and which was not about a man or the activities of a man.

Of course, Breaking Bad is also a show that's centered around a man, and it's predominantly about violent crime, which is almost exclusively committed by men. But still pretty sobering to see that reality and just how accepted it is by society.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
real life fails the Bechdel test

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

:yikes:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Is it time for the next episode yet?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Bechdel Test is not meant to be taken seriously when applied without any kind of context, especially when you're only talking about how it applies to one piece of media at a time.

The novel Naked Lunch doesn't pass the Bechdel test.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
And "oh my god Becky, look at her butt" does pass

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
most TV show are about men because females are boring

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

most TV show are about men because females are boring

mlyp

as a boring female, I know whereof I speak :colbert:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
just rewatched crawl space and remembered that it's the best episode of television of all time alright thanks for reading yall can go back to ferengi debate club now

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

just rewatched crawl space and remembered that it's the best episode of television of all time alright thanks for reading yall can go back to ferengi debate club now

Look, we're all just briefly interrupting a conversation that's nerdier than we are. None of us care as much as everyone else obviously cares. That's why the thread is bad, that's why the thread is good. You can't act like an outsider, here.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I'm looking forward to the hot take on medium.com about why Breaking Bad and by extension Better Call Saul are problematic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sulman posted:

I'm looking forward to the hot take on medium.com about why Breaking Bad and by extension Better Call Saul are problematic.

Walter White

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Crawl Space might be the best episode of tv ever, but the Dexter threads were the best threads in TVIV ever.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Ozymandias is better than Crawl Space.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I thought everyone already knew that Breaking Bad was a show exclusively about masculine skinheads

ricro fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 8, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Its not quite as bad in here as the GoT thread gets between episodes but its close

Like ffs its a show specifically about a wounded sense of masculinity of course the main characters aren't sitting about gabbing away about Maries cool new jumper. This like complaining that Oz had too few female characters.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 8, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Karmine posted:

Ozymandias is better than Crawl Space.
Yes, also Fifty One is better than Ozymandias.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fly is the best episode.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kuiperdolin posted:

Fly is the best episode.

It really is.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Nailed" is the best episode of Better Call Saul so far, but I have a good feeling that tonight will top it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad but worse than YuGiOh GX.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Did we figure this season's episode title secret yet?

Mabel
Witness
Sunk Costs
Sabrosito
Chicanery
Off Brand
Expenses
Slip
Fall
Lantern

1-800-DOCTORB fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 8, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Mabel
Witness
Sunk Costs
Sabrosito
Chicanery
Off Brand
Expenses
Slip
Fall
Lantern

That lantern one HAS to involve a fire. Real talk, I don't think the episode titles have any secrets. Last year was definitely a one-off, like BB S2. BCS S1 was more of a jokey thing, anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if they were done with weird title... chicanery.

I do find it interesting that for the most part, every episode title of BCS is one word, like it's the odd cornerstone of the episode, or the thing that sticks out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Mabel
Witness
Sunk Costs
Sabrosito
Chicanery
Off Brand
Expenses
Slip
Fall
Lantern

Oh man I hadn't read these but I'm psyched for Slip and Fall.

Also, I like BB but who the gently caress remembers individual episode names for it? That is the weirdest thing about these threads for me

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, I like BB but who the gently caress remembers individual episode names for it? That is the weirdest thing about these threads for me

Honestly, I have a better grasp if shows when I follow threads like this. I wouldn't have remembered weird things about both shows if it wasn't for goons discussing stuff over and over again for better or for worse.

Motherfucker, I have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of Dexter season 4 onward.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I honestly only remember Fly (because it is so divisive) and Ozymandias (because it is considered one of the best episodes of television ever)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Honestly, I have a better grasp if shows when I follow threads like this. I wouldn't have remembered weird things about both shows if it wasn't for goons discussing stuff over and over again for better or for worse.

Motherfucker, I have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of Dexter season 4 onward.

Makes sense, I didn't follow the BB threads closely. All's I remember is Mike's Voice.

Chuck dying as a result of a lantern-based house fire after some kind of Slippin' Jimmy/Saul Goodman lawyering and then Jimmy's temporary neglect seems right up foreshadow alley from those titles. I can already visualize a disgruntled but apologetic Jimmy pulling up, knocking, feeling the heat, calling 911, fin.

OR, it isn't quite his style, but maybe an infuriated Jimmy calls in a hit from Nacho or someone and they make it a fire since the photo of an oil lamp on a paper is such an obvious clue as to Chuck's dangerous situation?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 8, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wait, what was the secret behind BCS season 2's titles?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

The first letter of each title could be arranged to spell "FRINGS BACK".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Steve2911 posted:

The first letter of each one was an anagram for "EDIT gently caress BEATEN"

• Locked thread