Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Sam told Latham to gently caress off (literally)when Latham came back to Twitter and Latham has been melting down about it since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

The ABC posted:

The Australian Federal Police has decided not to investigate Human Services Minister Alan Tudge over the controversial disclosure of a welfare recipient's personal information to a journalist.

Mr Tudge and the Department of Human Services (DHS) have faced widespread criticism over its decision to release the welfare details of a blogger who wrote an opinion piece in Fairfax newspapers criticising Centrelink's much maligned automated debt recovery system.

In a statement, the AFP confirmed Labor's human services spokeswoman Linda Burney had referred the incident, doubting Mr Tudge's claim that the DHS had clear legislative power to release the information to correct the public record.

"The AFP has conducted an evaluation into this matter and concluded that there was no breach of Commonwealth legislation," an AFP spokesperson said.

Andie Fox had argued she was being "terrorised" over a debt she did not owe.

Ms Fox's welfare history was given to a journalist, who wrote a comment piece from the perspective of the Government a few weeks after the original column.

Mr Tudge has labelled Ms Burney's actions as "a political stunt and part of its Centrelink scare campaign".

"The decision to end the consideration of this referral is no surprise," Mr Tudge said in a statement.

"Social security law and family assistance law allow for the release of limited information to respond to incorrect or misleading information in the media about specific cases, in order to maintain public confidence in the integrity of government programmes.

"The Government takes privacy very seriously and complies with all the requirements of the relevant legislation."

Ms Burney said she was disappointed by the AFP's decision and said she would refer Mr Tudge to the Information Commissioner.

"Whether this was a criminal offence or not, there is one thing for certain, Alan Tudge has acted unethically and without regard to an individual's privacy," she said.

The release had been criticised by lawyers who believed it was designed to stop criticism of the Government, and said it could be a test case for privacy law.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
And you thought Mark had already hit rock bottom...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/story-streams/federal-budget-2017/2017-05-08/federal-budget-2017-afp-extra-funding-for-expansion/8504974

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

The Australian Federal Police has decided not to investigate Human Services Minister Alan Tudge over the controversial disclosure of a welfare recipient's personal information to a journalist.

Seriously, does the AFP ever do any work? Nearly every time there's a request for them to investigate a pollie they quickly look the other way and do a Officer Barbrady "Nothing to see here"

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Yeah, was saying on irc that hopefully this funding increase means they can go after him.

:cawg:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Really ripens those tomatoes.
Really activates my almonds
Really makes you think about overthrowing the capitalist system

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

And you thought Mark had already hit rock bottom...

Latham'll apparently be at a men's rights conference next month hosted by Paul Elam
https://icmi.info/conference-information/about-the-speakers/
He'll give one of ten talks, eight of which are 'subject TBD' at location TBD. Price of entry is not TBD (it's 300 bucks). Hope he liked the red pill doco, the cast and director will be there too!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

bandaid.friend posted:

Latham'll apparently be at a men's rights conference next month hosted by Paul Elam
He'll give one of ten talks, eight of which are 'subject TBD' at location TBD. Price of entry is not TBD (it's 300 bucks). Hope he liked the red pill doco, the cast and director will be there too!

was that the skull guy and the fake whiskey drinker movie that they had a massive tiff over?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You Am I posted:

Seriously, does the AFP ever do any work? Nearly every time there's a request for them to investigate a pollie they quickly look the other way and do a Officer Barbrady "Nothing to see here"

Because these are criminal offences there needs to be proof the person intended to commit the offence. If the politician says they didn't, then that's about it. That's why Slipper's case was eventually overturned - because he might not have intended to unlawfully use his cabcharges.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

bandaid.friend posted:

*extremely hbomberguy voice*

Three Hundred Dollars

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

He'll be doing Prince Phillip's job next.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Solemn Sloth posted:

was that the skull guy and the fake whiskey drinker movie that they had a massive tiff over?

No, it's Paul 'even if there was overwhelming evidence of guilt I would acquit all male rapists' Elam.

e:oh woops you were asking about the movie. But still nope, you're thinking of the Sarkesian Effect.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bandaid.friend posted:

Even compared to Latham this guy is a piece of poo poo:

They'll probably get along like a house on fire.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

V for Vegas posted:

Because these are criminal offences there needs to be proof the person intended to commit the offence. If the politician says they didn't, then that's about it. That's why Slipper's case was eventually overturned - because he might not have intended to unlawfully use his cabcharges.

Doesn't that just excuse being ignorant of the law? You can't intend to commit an offence if you don't know it's an offence.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Periphery posted:

Doesn't that just excuse being ignorant of the law? You can't intend to commit an offence if you don't know it's an offence.

I also thought ignorance of the law was no excuse

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/David_Speers/status/861501572613758976

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Good

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Sam told Latham to gently caress off (literally)when Latham came back to Twitter and Latham has been melting down about it since

I think Latham needs to retire from all forms of public speaking, and just chill in a retirement home- There he can sit in his rocking chair shouting about "I WAS ALMOST PRIME MINISTER ONCE!"

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Problem is he makes a couple of hundred grand a year with his pension and he has nothing else in his life but screaming for attention. He's probably the most blatant example of why you shouldn't be allowed to work and draw the MP pension.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Bogan King posted:

Problem is he makes a couple of hundred grand a year with his pension and he has nothing else in his life but screaming for attention. He's probably the most blatant example of why you shouldn't be allowed to work and draw the MP pension.

Should be either:

Work with NOTHING, or

Get PM pension- stay out of the lime light.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

starkebn posted:

I also thought ignorance of the law was no excuse

mens rea or the guilty mind only applies to your intention to commit the offense, not knowledge that it is an offense. also it doesn't apply to strict liability offenses, where it doesn't matter what your state of mind was.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

mens rea or the guilty mind only applies to your intention to commit the offense, not knowledge that it is an offense. also it doesn't apply to strict liability offenses, where it doesn't matter what your state of mind was.

so it's the difference between something being criminal and something being a different type of offense?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

in old common law stuff and some of the time in criminal codes a criminal act has two distinct parts, the act and the intention. you have to both do the thing and intend to do it for it to be criminal. you don't have to know you're committing a crime, you just have to know what you're doing. ignorance of the law remains (mostly) no excuse.

some offenses - often but not always serious crimes - fall into a category of 'strict liability'. it doesn't matter what your intention was, so long as you carried out the act.

this comic explains it in the american context, but it's probably close enough: http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=1008

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 8, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

in old common law stuff and some of the time in criminal codes a criminal act has two distinct parts, the act and the intention. you have to both do the thing and intend to do it for it to be criminal. you don't have to know you're committing a crime, you just have to know what you're doing. ignorance of the law remains (mostly) no excuse.

some offenses - often but not always serious crimes - fall into a category of 'strict liability'. it doesn't matter what your intention was, so long as you carried out the act.

thank you for explaining, but how did Tudge not know he was releasing a persons details which is clearly not right

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

starkebn posted:

thank you for explaining, but how did Tudge not know he was releasing a persons details which is clearly not right

probably just argues that he's crap at his job which is entirely believable

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

actually the AFP just declined to investigate because they are poo poo cowards

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

thatbastardken posted:

this comic explains it in the american context, but it's probably close enough: http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=1008

Written by a libertarian?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 8, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Written by a libertarian?

no.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Would we get a proper investigation into the AFP when Labor gets back in? Or will merely the truncheon be passed?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lot of pining for the glory days when 'common sense' ruled criminal law. Of course criminal law prescribes how we act, not describes how we act. It's written by a ruling class. I guess Jim Crow was also loving common sense.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

while the comic may not be written with a sense of class consciousness, the author is clearly in favor of states and laws. not a libertarian.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

thatbastardken posted:

while the comic may not be written with a sense of class consciousness, the author is clearly in favor of states and laws. not a libertarian.

Libertarian in the American sense of the night watchman state, not ancap.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Amanda Vanstone posted:

Ridiculously, some tried to say that people who wanted reform of S18c to allow greater freedom of speech should not criticise Ms Abdel-Magied, because she was simply exercising her right to free speech. Since when did freedom of speech mean freedom from criticism? She of course, has the right to free speech, to say what she likes. So do those who disagree with her. That's what free speech is about. It certainly doesn't mean that if you jump in with the first comment, everyone else has to zip their lips and let your remarks go without comment or response.

steadily_growing_ironicat.gif

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

he sure uses a lot of dumb libertarian talking points as examples in that case

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

probably? the comic gives a useful laymans terms explanation of legal matters, that's the only basis on which I suggest it. if you have a more ideologically sound option I'm all ears.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Greens update: Parliamentary right in NSW is now openly defying the membership's decision making and boycotting the party, instead crying to RDN and the federal right to impose top-down MP leadership control. You heard it here first. Now don't go leaking it to the arsetrayan

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

he sure uses a lot of dumb libertarian talking points as examples in that case

It's specifically refuting libertarian points. They literally don't understand how societies work, let alone governments.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Aesculus posted:

Greens update: Parliamentary right in NSW is now openly defying the membership's decision making and boycotting the party, instead crying to RDN and the federal right to impose top-down MP leadership control. You heard it here first. Now don't go leaking it to the arsetrayan

Who would have guessed the splits have come from the other direction this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
pretty clear that the person who leaked someone's confidential information to the paper intended to leak that information

• Locked thread