Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Is CIG out of money yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

BeefThief posted:

Is CIG out of money yet?

Weeks not months

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Xaerael posted:

Chris has bigger tits than Sandi: CONFIRMED

Just one more reason he is used in more ad campaigns than Sandi.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

D_Smart posted:

That OSC guy has been slamming them hard on that and they have failed every single time. This is what happens when you step outside of your echo chamber to where real live people exist.

I still love that these guys all post on a subreddit devoted to the idea of archiving everything you say/do but can't actually bring up anything from the archives when it would serve their purposes even though that's kind of what the archive is all about.

BeefThief posted:

Is CIG out of money yet?

We'll only know for sure when they show the cafeteria animations again on a live stream but when it cuts back everyone's run off.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

Honestly they won't provide anything on August either.

I hope they do. A staggeringly great fuckup would make a lovely birthday present for me.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata posted:

I hope they do. A lovely great fuckup would make a lovely birthday present for me.

quote:

The game is being made dumb rear end. 3.0 will be more advanced than 90% of games on steam.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

D_Smart posted:

That OSC guy has been slamming them hard on that and they have failed every single time. This is what happens when you step outside of your echo chamber to where real live people exist.

Hmmm yes 'that guy'

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Touchdowntim55 on reddit is super smart and handsome. Everyone likes him

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

TrustmeImLegit posted:

his posts make me giggle

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I can't believe that thread is still happening, and I don't fully understand why... But I love it!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

There is a reason he is called 'Touchdown' Tim, that guy always scores and it's because he has legit ball control, it's like he knows the total surface detail of field of play.

I parp to him :gary:

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

:lol::lol:, I just found out who OldSchoolCmdr is!

It's not Derek.

Be warned, it's like finding out Santa is not real (opps, should have spoiler tagged that, sorry)

Those who wish to know can look here ----> it's frogbear, from Derek's discord server

Once you have seen it, it all makes sense.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Kosumo posted:

:lol::lol:, I just found out who OldSchoolCmdr is!

It's not Derek.

Be warned, it's like finding out Santa is not real (opps, should have spoiler tagged that, sorry)

Those who wish to know can look here ----> it's frogbear, from Derek's discord server

Once you have seen it, it all makes sense.

Frogbear is a sentient female A.I. who plans to dominate the universe.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What's a Frogbear? :confused:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

fuctifino posted:

I can't remember who suggested putting wavy-hand CR in the spinny space station pic, but here it is

http://i.imgur.com/T8gR7S7.gifv

:five:

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Aiding and abetting corporate espionage.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The production schedule report for the 3.0 patch has been updated, moved up to July 13th and i honestly believe these are some great news for Star Citizen. To be more precise the aim release date wasn't changed, wasn't moved back to July 13th from June 29th that was before but it was more like stretched into a period of two weeks. Now we should be expecting the most important update for Star Citizen anytime from June 29th till July 13th.

Why is this a good thing you will ask. I believe this change in the aim dates happened in order to give more time to the developers to finish everything that is planned for the 3.0 update in time. Help them not feel pressured and have enough time to test all the features and make sure that everything will be working properly before the release. We have mentioned after all so many times how important this update will be for Star Citizen.

Although the persistent universe content is planned to be ready before the Evocati PTU begins, on June 5th, i think this "delay" also has something to do with Delamar and Levski making it to the 3.0 update. Creating a feature and implementing it properly in the Persistent Universe are two different things after all. Delamar is an essential addition for 3.0, not only because it will add an extra location in our expanded universe but also because it will help us test the first professions and more specifically, Trading, better. Having more time to implement this location and test how well it works in the universe, will have a major impact on the success of this update.

Obviously, Delamar and Levski although very important, are not the only features in the upcoming update that will affect 3.0 With a quick look on the schedule report, we can see that the most work must be done on the UI part of the schedule. Mainly because of the addition of a couple new applications, like the ship selector app and the vehicle customizer app, that will make our life a lot easier when they will be in game. Every little detail of the 3.0 update will be of huge importance and i am glad that the developers work so hard to achieve the best possible results.
Overall i think that this update on the production schedule report is a positive change because it shows how important 3.0 is not only for us, the backers but for CIG as well. Adding one or two weeks to the schedule, to properly prepare and test the upcoming features can only have great results for the upcoming patch and Star Citizen as a whole, especially now that we are so close to this huge milestone.

video here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTOW-xZHfXI

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
There's been some things on my mind for a while now and I've been wanting to speak up and rant about them. I have what I believe is a very relevant story to tell that concerns Star Citizen's development. Skip to the bottom if you don't have patience for my ranting. Warning... this post will probably be very long. Sorry, not sorry.

I'm not the first backer CIG ever had, I'm not even much of a contributor to the community... I've been mostly lurking on this sub, hungry for any/all information about the development of a game I've been waiting my whole life for. It's been a marvelous ride and I'm excited to be a part of it. The things CIG is doing has NEVER been done before, by anyone. I'm sure other studios have imagined how great a game like this WOULD be (who hasn't?), but just thinking about the complexity causes their raisin testicles to rescind back up inside their taint, quivering. It's a MIRACLE that CIG has been able to do as much as they have, while managing the sheer weight and volume of their massive balls on a daily basis... yes, this includes Sandy Gardiner. I wouldn't be surprised if half of their pledge money went towards purchasing wheelbarrows to help the devs get around. They deserve every ounce of success they've garnered thus far and more. They're pushing boundaries that most plebs can't even wrap their heads around. When you're in this uncharted territory, you'll have surprises and you'll need to try different things. Some will work, some won't. It's an iterative process that takes loads of time to get right. I'm sure they could improve on some fronts.. what person has ever lived that couldn't have improved something about themselves at some point in time? Checkmate.

What irks me to no end is the constant stream of doom and gloom this sub sees on a daily basis. The number of people with nothing better to do than to bash CIG at every possible moment in time is staggering. Is there something more we can do about this? Maybe another couple rules about not being entitled little ________(s)? I feel like all I'm doing is sifting mercilessly through endless comments about :
  • not opening my wallet again until W
  • if 3.0 sucks then X
  • I'm not mad about Y, I'm disappointed because they said Z
I wish these people would just commit to something. Leave the community already... or stay and wait... just please leave the rest of the community alone with your poor attitudes and your toxic comments. I'd like this sub to be a welcoming place for new people that are excited about the BDSSE, because that's what's being created here, with or without the overly cynical.

Let me tell a story...

About twenty years ago my dad bought a $2,000 dollar computer. I was 13 at the time. It had 133 Mhz Intel Pentium processor, 16MB RAM System memory, a 2.0 GB HDD, and other equally lovely acronyms and numbers. I remember owning Carmageddon and playing it on this computer. I loved the game despite it's flaws. It was like nothing I've played before... seemingly real physics and just loads of fun. I vividly remember discussions about editing some configuration files to increase the graphics to UNREAL levels.. faaaaaar beyond most computers capabilities at the time. I remember reading comments about how, "No computer would ever be able to run this game at full settings." ..and most folks agreed. The possibilities in those configuration files were seemingly endless. Still... I enjoyed countless hours of that game. Fast forward a handful of years, my dad and I built our next computer with an AMD Athlon 1.4 Ghz processor and friends. The processor alone was more than 10 times faster than our previous computer. I booted up Carmegeddon, edited the configuration files to max out this computers specs and continued to sink dozens of hours into this game. I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that a few short years ago, people sincerely believed that no computer would ever run this game at max settings. Including me. I didn't know any better at the time. People were pretty narrow minded, but they were proven wrong with time. As a rough comparison, I found some videos of this game that had been ported to N64, as well as an HD version using these edited configuration files. Enjoy.
The N64 version got one of the worst ratings of all N64 games. I think it scored an 8%, but I still loved the game and it only got better. I feel like the PC release was just so far ahead of it's time. I feel the same goes for Star Citizen.

To the people that think it can't be done... move over for those that are doing it.. because when the game is feature complete with smooth gameplay, even if it's not perfect at release and takes a couple years, you'll be playing it and all your impatient, overly critical comments will have been in vain.

To all the CIG employees... thank you for your hard work and taking the communities criticisms in stride, even when they're over the line. You do amazing work, keep it up! o7

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I am no stranger to browsing the bottom of the comment bin. Its a habit of mine. But lately ive been disappointed.

Ive been noticing that our trolls arent doing so well. One troll in particular (I wont use his exact username ) guyfawkes, is getting downright pathetic.
There is no art, no effort in their trolling. Its so... passe

Guyfawkes in particular seems like a soggy custom paperbag filled with 20lbs petroleum jelly. Something that took effort to create, but doesnt seem to serve a purpose. It makes me angry that someone, a person, is sitting on their computer putting that much effort into a troll account, but not putting any thought into it.

I mean, just look at the username? Guy Fawkes? really. That was cliche in 5 years ago on freaking /r/atheism, and we know those guy's relationship with "cool" is the same as with women, a body pillow. Hell Guy Fawkes was only cool last decade, back when I wasnt allowed to see V for Vendetta because my parents didnt want me to become a trench coat loser.

So to make a troll account only a few weeks ago with that name, well, it reminds me of an old man trying to look young again by wearing his hat backwards and saying "yo". Its adorable in a way, but also insulting. Can we have our old Trolls back? The ones that mostly engaged and integrated before their inevitable betrayal , the ones that respected our intelligence and tried.

Edit: My point is, If we are going to have troll, can we have ones that make me angry not sad.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Samizdata posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Well, what a completely unexpected turn of events.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04IKXdn96xA

Network bind / unbind / refactor / persistent data.

Really??? Shitizens buy these things?

e: Router Biasing / Network Diffusion.... WTF?

no_recall fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 8, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ArfJason posted:

Well, what a completely unexpected turn of events.

where's the qcs thread

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04IKXdn96xA

Network bind / unbind / refactor / persistent data.

Really??? Shitizens buy these things?

e: Router Biasing / Network Diffusion.... WTF?

Yes they literally buy it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Vargthedragon/status/861512923646185472

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The hype is real. The game is not.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's been a marvelous ride and I'm excited to be a part of it. The things CIG is doing has NEVER been done before, by anyone. I'm sure other studios have imagined how great a game like this WOULD be (who hasn't?), but just thinking about the complexity causes their raisin testicles to rescind back up inside their taint, quivering. It's a MIRACLE that CIG has been able to do as much as they have, while managing the sheer weight and volume of their massive balls on a daily basis... yes, this includes Sandy Gardiner. I wouldn't be surprised if half of their pledge money went towards purchasing wheelbarrows to help the devs get around. They deserve every ounce of success they've garnered thus far and more. They're pushing boundaries that most plebs can't even wrap their heads around. When you're in this uncharted territory, you'll have surprises and you'll need to try different things. Some will work, some won't. It's an iterative process that takes loads of time to get right. I'm sure they could improve on some fronts.. what person has ever lived that couldn't have improved something about themselves at some point in time? Checkmate.

This would make a good disclaimer template for all concern posts.

D_Smart posted:

Well, he says that he's not posting here, on /r/DerekSmart/ or on my forums because he wants to remain objective :negative:
You never know, he is close to needing a sanity recharge.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

OSC is boring as gently caress but reading the shitizens responses is amusing.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sandweed posted:

OSC is boring as gently caress but reading the shitizens responses is amusing.

I think OSC could just post a page of lorem ipsum now, and he'd have the usual suspects flipping their poo poo calling him Derek Smart. The idiots are so brokebrained and paranoid that someone doesn't like their tech demo that they see their own personal boogeyman in every post.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Man, The Myth, The Thumb

Ben, Sandi, Chris

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

What a pro handle/tweet combo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The things CIG is doing has NEVER been done before, by anyone. ... It's a MIRACLE that CIG has been able to do as much as they have

has any commando who has ever spouted this bullshit ever backed up what they mean? It seems to me like purely a regurgitated justification with no valid reasoning.

I guess they just don't understand game development :smuggo:

http://i.imgur.com/Bxg2Z3X.mp4

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

starkebn posted:

has any commando who has ever spouted this bullshit ever backed up what they mean? It seems to me like purely a regurgitated justification with no valid reasoning.

I guess they just don't understand game development :smuggo:

They've generally got a list which differs very little from
  • First person immersive gameplay to multi-crew immersive space ship combat all with no loading scenes and to an unprecedented fidelity
  • Ultra-high poly no compromises 100% beef PC graphics with unprecedented fidelity, far from console limits and very immersive
  • Unlike [bad dumb finished game], Star Citizen is better in a lot of ways, for example no p2w, no instancing, no loading scenes, unprecedented fidelity and immersive VR support with 100% functionality private servers and also fidelity
  • Real-life physics with 100% better-than-simulated, unprecedented fidelity gravity, inertia and momentum simulation with immersive 20th century technology such as manual refueling, cargo handling, only with high-tech denim jackets and more fidelity
  • Mark loving Oldman is a triple-AAA actor and is personally responsible for immersing himself into what's maybe an open world RPG or even something completely different but better in every way, not least of which being its unprecedented fidelity, called SQ42 which is why we're not worthy of seeing any of it yet because they're just too finished to tell us

It's basically ~dreams~ and other things of less substance, more fidelity

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

or substitute garr.gif if you prefer

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

DisturbedJim posted:

Derek's history shows that even if we did disable comments as some suggest that won't stop Derek doing what he does if anything it will embolden him as he'll perceive it as "winning".

It's pretty obvious from the numerous attempts by Derek either directly,via sockpuppets or more recently via his "acolytes/heralds" to shut this place down that we're having the desired effect of letting him metaphorically "hang himself" with his own words.

The best way to deal with people like Derek is for them to be reminded that in the online sense there is "nowhere to hide" when it comes to spreading his FUD as it stands he pretty much "contained" to his own forum (where his proclivities for silencing dissent will be his own undoing), FDev who have their own well known reasons for entertaining DeDe and of course SA.

The MegaThread alone does a service in that it allows any backer the access to the ammunition to make Derek flee from wherever he pops his head up without having to get shirty with him.
IMHO along as the reddit follows the rules as it does comments should be left in place.If Derek wanted to "shut this down" the most efficient 2 ways are:

1) Stop his "Wahhhhh"(Temper Tantrum) and go back to making his "game"
2)Start being factual instead of intentionally dishonest, hence removing the need to be countered with reality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/69xkmh/meta_disabling_comments/dha4lfq/

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Let's be real here. Their comments are already disabled. Mentally and socially.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I am Alpharius OldSchoolCmdr.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The production schedule report for the 3.0 patch has been updated, moved up to July 13th and i honestly believe these are some great news for Star Citizen. To be more precise the aim release date wasn't changed, wasn't moved back to July 13th from June 29th that was before but it was more like stretched into a period of two weeks. Now we should be expecting the most important update for Star Citizen anytime from June 29th till July 13th.

Why is this a good thing you will ask. I believe this change in the aim dates happened in order to give more time to the developers to finish everything that is planned for the 3.0 update in time. Help them not feel pressured and have enough time to test all the features and make sure that everything will be working properly before the release. We have mentioned after all so many times how important this update will be for Star Citizen.

Although the persistent universe content is planned to be ready before the Evocati PTU begins, on June 5th, i think this "delay" also has something to do with Delamar and Levski making it to the 3.0 update. Creating a feature and implementing it properly in the Persistent Universe are two different things after all. Delamar is an essential addition for 3.0, not only because it will add an extra location in our expanded universe but also because it will help us test the first professions and more specifically, Trading, better. Having more time to implement this location and test how well it works in the universe, will have a major impact on the success of this update.

Obviously, Delamar and Levski although very important, are not the only features in the upcoming update that will affect 3.0 With a quick look on the schedule report, we can see that the most work must be done on the UI part of the schedule. Mainly because of the addition of a couple new applications, like the ship selector app and the vehicle customizer app, that will make our life a lot easier when they will be in game. Every little detail of the 3.0 update will be of huge importance and i am glad that the developers work so hard to achieve the best possible results.
Overall i think that this update on the production schedule report is a positive change because it shows how important 3.0 is not only for us, the backers but for CIG as well. Adding one or two weeks to the schedule, to properly prepare and test the upcoming features can only have great results for the upcoming patch and Star Citizen as a whole, especially now that we are so close to this huge milestone.

video here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTOW-xZHfXI

Who the gently caress are Delamar and Levski and why are they holding up the project?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Hey all,

Just a quick discussion. When the persistent universe is finally launched, will we be looking at NPCs in a similar fashion of West World's Hosts? Will there be NPCs walking around planets / flying around space, that once interacted with will be sort of locked until their mission is complete?
Will they simply respawn once the player flies away?

Will missions change similar to WW, where if you kill one of the NPCs (which you can freely do) suddenly you take one side or another of a system wide fight?

What do you guys think? I'm hoping it won't be a simple Npc stands still, tells you, and everyone else, to fetch stuff, with no actual interaction or change in the mission like we see in so many other MMOs.

With all the worlds / systems that will be in the game, not even mentioning all the systems, and NPCs that can fill that space, I could see NPCs locking into a player's mission until a sequence is complete, or until the quest is finished if the quest is short enough, leading to some very epic interactions, and in depth story lines.

EDIT: Thread derailed, ITT: Discussing how NPCs will work, simulated life, and what the death of an NPC will mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So i was going through some old newsletters and one peaked my interest (The one that had research/lab equipment at the bottom)

This firstly got me thinking bout the role of a medic. In all honestly i feel like if its just inject a wounded player with a G-heal and they are all patched up it would be rather boring and pretty one dimensional.

Don't get me wrong I'm not asking for like doing surgery that'll take forever or something like that, No. The situations i envision go as follows. -You land on a planet with various wildlife, some species are harmless some are aggressive and some are venous or toxic. As your walking about a small venomous critter stings you ( Some might argue as to how through your space suit) for scenario's sake lets just say the stinger is powerful enough to puncher it. You characters vision starts getting blurring and they breathe heavily . their stamina is at an all time low and their response time is terrible. You space suit indicates that there's a toxin present .. you rush to your ship with your medic. (Now the following is what id like the medic to be able to do) you guys head to the medic bay ... the medic picks up an empty syringe (which are purchasable at stations and have to be restocked from time to time) draws your blood and inserts it into a scanner ... The scanner takes about 30seconds to identify the toxin .. the toxin is identified and the interface gives a list of known antidotes. Said antidotes to be manufactured require certain chemicals ... your medic checks the ships inventory and finds that they have just enough material to make the antidote. The scanner also shows how to make the antidote. The medic heads to the lab and now the process starts. He mixes Chemical A and B and puts it in the centrifuge (Now the centrifuge has a suggested time and rpm but if the medic has sufficient knowledge he can set it to his own liking to obtain a higher yield) once centrifuged Chemical C is formed ... Chemical C is mixed with chemical F then put in an oven for a period of time at a specific temperature then the antidote is formed .. the medic puts it in the scanner and its identified as the antidote. The medic injects the player and the player is alleviated of his symptoms (most known toxins are not fatal and the alternative would be to head to a station with medical facilities and pay an amount of credits then your all good) NB. I'll be splitting the scenarios up as to not make this any longer. The second scenarios is as follows (not necessarily about a medic) - You get a job stating that a collector wants a "Volox Stregent" (Lol literally just made that name up .. don't judge) now these creatures are found on a remote planet and is illegal to hunt or trade them. The collector is willing to to pay a small fortune for it but he wants it ALIVE. These creature are known to be fierce and relatively fast so you'll need a tranquilizer (A very specific tranquilizer that is rather hard to come by and costs a fair amount of credits for a single syringe) the collector offers the recipe to manufacture the tranquilizer yourself should you wish to. Now some of the ingredients for the tranq will require you to go to some lawless outposts/planets to buy them on the black market and others are easier to come by. The list is long but for that amount of credits your willing to tough it out. After some pirate blasting, UEE dodging and cargo hiding you finally have everything you need. You head to your lab(if you don't have one you can hire out someones else's) to start. (The process is rather tedious) You centrifuge, heat, vibrate, scan, purify, centrifuge again, test, vibrate once more then finally you put it in the scanner again and it identifies it as the tranq with 100% purity and it states that this tranq is banned under UEE law. After all the trial and error trying to make it you were able to produce 5 doses of the tranq meaning five shots. You head to the planet and after a while of moving slowly and hiding you finally spot the volvox ( your heart beating and mouth watering as you can taste all those credits) You load your tranqs into your riffle and aim(now the volvox requires at least 2 doses) you take a few shots and miss .. the volvox is on alert now.. you take two more shots again and finally they both hit it. Its falls to the ground and you drag it to your ship. You have one left over tranq .. either you keep it and risk getting busted with it or sell it on the black market and make some credits. With the volvox in your cargo hold you rush to the rendezvous point .. praying that the UEE doesn't spot you or get attacked by a bored pirate. You meet the collector and he pays what he promised and you're a very happy space dude ... You get to keep the recipe or sell it to an information broker which ever it is .. your pretty happy.