Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes but the pistol is super good once upgraded too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lakbay posted:

Yes but the pistol is super good once upgraded too

Does the damage scale exponentially?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

J-Spot posted:

The draw distance is better although I don't think an open-world game exists that doesn't have some amount of pop-in. I can't remember if the game ever hard froze on me or not but it doesn't have those little freezes whenever the game auto-saves that the PS3 version had.

for an open world game without minor annoyances, Horizon is clear and away the better choice

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Actually it does when it feels like it.

Also you don't need to run to the savepoints every time to save - as long as you are in the 'saving allowed' area you can just open the menu and quicksave and it does the same thing.

jesus christ people it was a joke i know how the saving in nier works

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morby posted:

Hitman has shown that episodic games can work, but I'm still not sure how they will be able to divide FF7 into chunks that make sense and aren't too empty or too dense.

You allude to it a little bit but Hitman did not prove releasing content episodically works overall. Hitman's levels are built from the ground-up to be replayed numerous times and experimented with. The player can spend dozens of hours in a level and still not know all the ins and outs of it. The developer has to have tons of confidence in the depth of a level and the variety of gameplay options to limit players to that level only for weeks or months at a time. Something like DOOM would have been a disaster as an episodic release all else being equal.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

glam rock hamhock posted:

just make sure to save first if you want to self destruct in the bunker

So I saved twice and then did this and now one save slot is marked with 'Ending U' but it looks like I can continue. Should I be using this save or should I go back to the one that has no ending marked? I'm guessing I want to do the former for a see all endings trophy?

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 7, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

J-Spot posted:

So I saved twice and then did this and now one save slot is marked with 'Ending U' but it looks like I can continue. Should I be using this save or should I go back to the one that has no ending marked? I'm guessing I want to do the former for a see all endings trophy?

Yes, those things don't affect how the main story plays out. And as for trophies, well, just keep playing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hitman being episodic sounded really dumb at first, but due to the nature of the game it actually sounds like a smart move. I actually kind of wish I played it as it came out (still haven't played it) because it sounds more fun to dick around and try different things instead of just playing through all of them in a row.

FF7 though...That just seems like a loving horrible idea.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

Yeah, just continue with that save. The only reason I told you to save first is because when you get any of the joke endings it will bring you back to the last time you saved when you load again (which I found out the hard way, once having to redo two areas).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Hitman being episodic sounded really dumb at first, but due to the nature of the game it actually sounds like a smart move. I actually kind of wish I played it as it came out (still haven't played it) because it sounds more fun to dick around and try different things instead of just playing through all of them in a row.

If they just separate it like the discs, it should be fine.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

It's very unlikely they will do that as the discs being split the way they were was due to cutscene size constraints not any pacing reason. I'd guess something like up to Kalm for part 1 (the setup). The second part is tricky (the hunt/shinra) maybe up to Bone village or Junon redux. Part 3 is wrap up with jenova and sephiroth.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. It forced you to try new things if you wanted to play more before the next episode. Not just be content with your mediocre kill and moving on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's interesting that the character select for Prey has you looking into a mirror given the fact that that game doesn't have reflective mirrors and has videogame mirror tech from like 2001.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So people who have sunk some time into Prey seem to really like it, eh?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

veni veni veni posted:

I thought I would only spend an hour checking out the intro and then ended up playing into the evening, only stopping because my power went out.

So far it has been head and shoulders above all the BioShock games. Even if they completely gently caress up the story and ending, it will still probably be better than BioShock. The comparison is actually unfair because Prey actually has working and coherently designed gameplay systems

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So, I beat Ghost Recon: Wildlands and I'm going to trade it in this week. So I have two options, picking a new game or get a headset because I have headphone audio stutter with my huawei phone ones.

Is there any fix for that audio issue? Whenever I use the headphone jack on my DS4, I get random audio stutter and it gets annoying. I used two different headsets and it seems that it's an issue when plugging it to the controller (and I have two DS4 v2). Will a wireless headset fix that?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Prey is definitely more System Shock than Bioshock in its design. Both in gameplay mechanical systems and level design.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Prey is good. Really liking it so far, especially when I remember to quicksave.

I am continuously surprised by new mechanics or tools, and the feeling that the game itself is fine with me trying to break into areas I shouldn't be in. And even little details like a screen-repair option in your office adds some polish.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, I'm really liking it so far. Definitely the type of game where you'll want to play it again to try a different playstyle/upgrade path/break the game.

SLOSifl posted:

Prey is good. Really liking it so far, especially when I remember to quicksave.

I am continuously surprised by new mechanics or tools, and the feeling that the game itself is fine with me trying to break into areas I shouldn't be in. And even little details like a screen-repair option in your office adds some polish.

People are going to come up with some really creative ways to "break" this game and it's going to be awesome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. Does it have a decent variety on scenery or is it mostly just what we saw in the demo?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the Prey demo just fine, though I'm skeptical about whether it's a $60 experience. Alien: Isolation was exactly fine at the $35 or so I spent on it on sale and Prey reminded me of Alien Isolation with guns. Combat was pretty janky, though I managed to do alright throwing explosive canisters and shotgunning mimics when they get the jump on me. I'd be curious to see just how intricate the gameplay elements can get, though; the game seems to promise a lot of interacting elements and systems and its ability to deliver on that promise would be the deciding factor for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alien Isolation was worth $60. I didn't pay that but it was worth it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's just a single player game right? What's the length of it? Seems like a good weekend redbox game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I liked the Prey demo just fine, though I'm skeptical about whether it's a $60 experience. Alien: Isolation was exactly fine at the $35 or so I spent on it on sale and Prey reminded me of Alien Isolation with guns. Combat was pretty janky, though I managed to do alright throwing explosive canisters and shotgunning mimics when they get the jump on me. I'd be curious to see just how intricate the gameplay elements can get, though; the game seems to promise a lot of interacting elements and systems and its ability to deliver on that promise would be the deciding factor for me.

You get options for traps and a) sorts of stuff later. All grenade weapons can be placed on the ground and become proximity. While the shooting feels bad. You can manage encounter and set up things later. It just takes 4-5 hours to get to that point. Glad I stuck with it because the start was shiiiiiiiit. Having fun now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mordiceius posted:

It's just a single player game right? What's the length of it? Seems like a good weekend redbox game.

From what I've read it's like 20~ hours if you're doing the optional content and not just blowing through the necessary story objectives. Sounds comparable to a Deus Ex game or something (except with one big open map as opposed to a mission based game like DE or Dishonored)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Prey is System Shock 2.5

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Prey has a real good story until the ending. The game rewards you mechanically for noticing things, which then ruins aspects of the story if you're being meticulous. The combat is the worst parts: larger enemies mess you up if you get close, and long-range weapons are non-existant unless you count throwing stuff. A lot of the skills are underwhelming: I maxed Repair to fortify turrets, and they'd die when I changed area. I wonder if skills are less important than they could be because they have the trophy for a no-skills run.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I asked Lady Videogames to choose one of my new games to play and she picked Hitman. We then had an absolutely hilarious time attempting to be stealthy assassins and failing over and over.

I've only played the tutorial so far, but the amount of options is overwhelming as all heck! There's just so much choice and ability to plan and all that sort of stuff. She kept trying to get me to find that Norfolk guy so I could disguise as him and then pretend to be the client. I was only able to do the instructed one successfully.

Then, when I tried to get the life boat to fall on him, I messed it up so badly that when I was escaping, I didn't realise that I'd hid in the target's bedroom! I was able to salvage it! :D

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Salvaging botched Hitman attempts is half the fun, honestly. It's good poo poo.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I got Prey for a tenner when I got my PS Pro and holy gently caress the controls are shambolic. I play my fair share of FPS games but I can't hit the side of a barn door in this. Needs a patch really badly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I got Prey for a tenner when I got my PS Pro and holy gently caress the controls are shambolic. I play my fair share of FPS games but I can't hit the side of a barn door in this. Needs a patch really badly.

Something about look lag right? The ps4 unfortunately is the inferior edition of this game on all platforms at the moment.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Something about look lag right? The ps4 unfortunately is the inferior edition of this game on all platforms at the moment.

Basically that, yeah, coupled with some really weird acceleration issues on the right stick. It's probably the worst controlling FPS I've played, it's frustrating.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Basically that, yeah, coupled with some really weird acceleration issues on the right stick. It's probably the worst controlling FPS I've played, it's frustrating.

Yeah we've known since the demo. They really need to address it (Afaik it was a problem with dishonored 2as well but this game needs tighter controls than that)

I can't encourage anyone to support this game on ps4 until it gets patched. If you already have it consider playing something else for a while.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Which sucks cos a lot of people I like say the game is actually good!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks like it'll be a game to pick up on Steam for half the price during summer sale (or even bigger discount by the end of the year).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Only a month away from the PS5 at E3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's never gonna be a PS5, just a slightly better version of 4 every couple of years.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Harlock posted:

Only a month away from the PS5 at E3.

Far too early for PS5, not going to happen this year.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Sakurazuka posted:

There's never gonna be a PS5, just a slightly better version of 4 every couple of years.

PS4 Pro 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm looking forward to TLOU2, Uncharted DLC, HELLBLADE and maybe an official announcement for the Horizon DLC. Days Gone does not interest me and Death Stranding is more of just a curiosity at this point.