Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

McSpankWich posted:

Are those lists from best -> worst? Because I feel like Greg is way better than 2nd to worst as a finisher. Snowpetal is a really good move, and his innate boosts and access to most of the gear in the game makes his TM options really versatile.
They are, and future units have attacks waaaaay better than Snowpetal. Keep in mind we don't even have a quarter of the list yet. Power creep is a hell of a thing.

Edit: here's the list with all of the units/upgrades we don't have yet removed.

Physical DPS
---------------------------------------
Brute Force: Luneth, Noctis, Gilgamesh, Firion (Olive)
Chaining: Aileen, Orlandeau (Fryevia, Yun, Elza)

There are many, many powerful physical characters coming in the future, at the rare of about 2 per month. Note that Randi needs enhancements to reach his true destructive potential, so he's off the list for now. Again, Setzer's just off the end of the chain list.

Magic DPS
Brute Force: Emperor, Dark Fina
Chaining: Trance Terra

The first ancient magic user will be William, on the Cloud banner. Ace and Dark Fina need their enhancements to get on the chain list.

Healing
Healing: Y'shtola, Luka, Refia
Mana Battery: (Ling)

We have lots of great healers, but only a few can unlock their potential right now. Tilith is a must get when Brave Frontier rolls back around. Ramza needs enhancements to get on the mana battery list.

Support
Stat Boosting: Soleil
Damage Mitigation: Sakura
Elemental Resistance: Marie, Minfilia

Rikku is a must grab when she comes around, as she's the swiss army knife of support and a 4* to boot. Minfilia would fall just off the end of the stat boosting list, as Soleil's enhancements give her AoE versions of Minfilia's single target buffs. Ramza needs enhancements to be a good stat booster.

Enfeeblement
Single Target Debuffs: Orlandeau
Area Stat Debuffs: (Ling)
Elemental Debuffs: Seven, Marie

We really don't have much of a toolkit right now, outside of Ling. If you missed her, Rikku is your brass ring.

Tanking
Provoke Tanks: Noctis, Snow
Cover Tanks: Paladin Cecil
Shield Tanks: None
Magic Tank: None

Warrior of Light's 6* upgrade will be a game changer in the tanking department, which is why advanced players are so eager for it. Same with Charlotte, but she comes later.

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, moves kinda become a bit crazy later on. Not all Ability Awakenings are born equal either.

Varance, does that list take Noctis' Zero Point Warp into account? Cause I'm not sure we'll ever get that.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

HGH posted:

Yeah, moves kinda become a bit crazy later on. Not all Ability Awakenings are born equal either.

Varance, does that list take Noctis' Zero Point Warp into account? Cause I'm not sure we'll ever get that.
It does, so he'll probably be a bit lower for us. We may get it back via enhancements to Warp Strike, or they may just buff him when we get the first 15 event in the proper power creep timeline, so there's hope. He's still an extremely powerful character, even after the nerf. Otherwise, we wouldn't be taking about perfect dodge Noctis and other absurd stuff he can do.

Anyway, yeah, even if you've been dropping $30 on every banner for the lifetime of the game, you're probably only going to have a couple of rainbow units... and a Delita (the Bedile of rainbow crystals). Focus on getting your storyline characters and gold crystals to 5*/6*. Prioritize the bolded units from the list above and you'll be in good shape.

I really need an English version of this:

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 8, 2017

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

hagie posted:

Freyvia.

I'll take it. But just now I remember the 9000 moogles I tossed in the event.

I will carry these 40 moogles to my grave.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HGH posted:

Noctis's TMR accessory is also much more powerful in Japan.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
To piggy back on all the how to play talk, IMO as a F2P I'm leaning much more in the TMR Lapis > Pulling Lapis. I've had quite a few 11 pulls and they never turn out that hot. Considering once you hit rank 90 10k Lapis = 5 full TMR's I really prefer to go with something where I know I'm getting a good benefit. That way when you eventually do pull some crazy Rainbow you can deck them out.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Mile'ionaha posted:

I will carry these 40 moogles to my grave.
"
At the time I was strapped for space and in the mindset that I wasn't going to fall for the obvious "unit expansion lapis trap"

I don't necessarily regret it. Just a formality. It is typically my luck for it to happen so I am not surprised by it. I would have also had a Xon TMR but I sold Patches too and got Xon last week. Still killing it on pulling for previous banners.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Take a scroll through the Japanese release schedule and try to guess what's next week thing is going to be.
http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Update_Schedule

My money is on the final Type 0 Mog event/banner that they skipped over. In Japan it came out right before the Mysidia part 2 story update.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
as long as wol gets 6* too

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
They've been very fluid with the release schedule on the NA side. The expectation is that it will be one of the following: Dragon Quest, Brave Frontier, Type-0, FF10 or FF11.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pretty sure we are not getting Dragon Quest, the developers have have all but said it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm guessing the type 0 is another "do not pull" banner

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
You gotta love the randomness of the TM farm. I wake up, check my guys: one is at 98.6, the other at 99.0

Pop a Lapis refresh and leave for a while, come back and 70 NRG later, the 98.6 is now at 99.4 and the 99.0 is at 99.1

Khisanth Magus posted:

Rem(5*) is a solid healer with some MAG damage options. Innate dualcast, auto-refresh, and auto-revive 80%. Has Protectga but not Shellga for some reason, whether you'd use her over Y'shtola is probably a situational thing(or if you missed Y'shtola).

King(4*) has auto-refresh+(7%) as his TM but is otherwise a very uninspired Gun-user that lacks finishing power or chaining abilities.

Sice(3*) has a solid TM (DEF/SPR 20%), an axe/lance user with a lot of AOE effects including a slightly weaker AOE full break, but since he doesn't get up to 6*, who cares.

So you might want to grab a King for his TM, Sice you'll probably end up getting 1 or 2 of along the way in other pulls, and Rem isn't worth pulling hard for unless you missed Y'shtola and don't have Refia(w/ dualcast).

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 8, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Khisanth Magus posted:

Rem is one of the best healers/casters in the game. Everyone else is *eh*.

Battle of Judecca is a currency farm, with only the new Type-0 characters (Rem, King and Sice) getting a bonus. Joy!

The items JP had for the event are:

10000 Blue Phantoma: Defender's Dagger (Limit 1, Dagger with 12 ATK 68 MAG 35 SPR) << good starter mage dagger if you don't have the appropriate characters to TM grind something better)
3000 Blue Phantoma: Lamia's Scythe (Limit 1, Spear with 51 ATK and MP+15%) << eh, it has its uses, but the elemental spears are generally superior
1000 Blue Phantoma: Magnati (Limit 1, Gun with 42 ATK) << garbage, there's much better available at this point in the storyline

Lots of Blue Phantoma: Attack+15% (Limit 1, Materia, ATK+15%)
Plenty of Blue Phantoma: MP+15% (Limit 1, Materia, MP+15%)
10000 Blue Phantoma: Siphon Delta (Limit 1, Materia Ability for Rem, AoE MP drain) << screws arena teams and helps Rem spam spells, might be good to hold this in reserve in case you get Rem
4000 Blue Phantoma: Multitask (Limit 1, Materia Ability for King, 210% Physical + 100%) << same as Ling's stacking damage mechanic
1200 Blue Phantoma: Southern Wind Helmet (Materia, MP+10% Spirit+5%)
1200 Blue Phantoma: Southern Wind Armor (Materia, MP+5% Spirit+10%)

Sacred crystals were absent from the JP event, but there was a limited stock of Brilliant Rays available.

That said, the last boss in the third Type-0 elite dungeon is a dragon, which means Firion is once again the event MVP. If you haven't 6-starred him, you might want to do that.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 8, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
For whatever reason, Rem gets 5 enhancements in the future, I guess because they turn all of her -aga's into -aja's.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PaybackJack posted:

You gotta love the randomness of the TM farm. I wake up, check my guys: one is at 98.6, the other at 99.0

Pop a Lapis refresh and leave for a while, come back and 70 NRG later, the 98.6 is now at 99.4 and the 99.0 is at 99.1

i had someone sitting at 98.9%, and 120 energy later they ended up at 99.1, so i spent 23 energy to get it to a nice round number theoretically and he finished. okay. sure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Varance posted:

They've been very fluid with the release schedule on the NA side. The expectation is that it will be one of the following: Dragon Quest, Brave Frontier, Type-0, FF10 or FF11.

Nothing short of a miracle will get us the DQMSL event. The best, if not only, chance of global seeing it is if the event gets retooled in to a DQ Heroes event for DQH2, or the DQH 1+2 version on the Switch in the future.

Either way, don't hold your breath.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nothing short of a miracle will get us the DQMSL event. The best, if not only, chance of global seeing it is if the event gets retooled in to a DQ Heroes event for DQH2, or the DQH 1+2 version on the Switch in the future.

Either way, don't hold your breath.
Oh, I'm def not counting on it, or the SaGa event. I'm just saying that those are the events that went down around this time frame in the JP version. I don't expect them to do FF12 just yet, probably in late June in preparation for the HD re-release in early July.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks Portal App!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The 1/2 pull granted me a rainbow but trolled me with Marie number 2...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hey, a 2nd Rainbow Robe! That's a win! And if ever there's a boss that uses 8 elements simultaneously you'll be prepared for it.

Speaking of Marie, this Fire Dragon's Pulverise always manages to kill one of my units, even a buffed Cecil. It's only 10 Lapis but I can't get the last mission there.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

KDdidit posted:

Thanks Portal App!

Group work surprise!

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As strategies go, leaving your lvl 100 Minfilia and taking your 4* trash Minfilia instead sucks, but hooray for brute forcing it I guess. Glad I wasn't trying to 4-person it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

KDdidit posted:

As strategies go, leaving your lvl 100 Minfilia and taking your 4* trash Minfilia instead sucks, but hooray for brute forcing it I guess. Glad I wasn't trying to 4-person it.

"Apply 2 Cids" is a pretty reliable strategy.

I now have a decent pile of tickets for the next good banner. Whee.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At least I fired off Min's pathetic 50 damage limit break at the right time for my sweet 10 Lapis.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Khisanth Magus posted:

"Apply 2 Cids" is a pretty reliable strategy.

I now have a decent pile of tickets for the next good banner. Whee.

2 Cids *AND* and Olive finisher. Probably could have 4 manned the thing with those three and Cecil's LB. Pop goes the Dragon.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 8, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
And I forgot that the confuse resist was important so I only got my Minfilia to 88 before working on leveling other people, so now she is 4 levels short(4 very long levels) of granting confuse resist against the dragon, so guess I'm not doing that any time soon, as I don't have anyone capable of doing damage on my own to take a friend support unit, and there is no way I can "brute force it" because that requires you to have units capable of brute forcing anything. Bleh.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Who's ready for ACTION? 10 NRG into 128k exp. Eat your heart out Cactuar Dunes.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Well, since I can't do much else today(I was hoping cactuar dunes would last into today like Maze did last weekend) I finally have TM farming setup with my first TM farm team: 2x Zidanes(one at 65% already from moogles), Cecil, Shine, and Noctis.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

I mean... if that's what makes you happy. Hell of a way to spend ~12k Lapis, though.

Oxybeles
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks portal event!

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

That is awesome.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mile'ionaha posted:

I mean... if that's what makes you happy. Hell of a way to spend ~12k Lapis, though.

I got two growth eggs and for almost half the nrg of the dunes i do timber tracks exploration and get a ton of unit exp, rank exp, some megacrystals,gil, and the bosses drop holy crystals.

Its worth it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I cashed in on power leveling during the crazy Easter event when gigantaurs where dropping like candy from a piņata. Unfortunately it used up all my 6* mats, so hopefully the next Mog event is friendly with the currency drop rate...lol yeah right.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Tengames posted:

I got two growth eggs and for almost half the nrg of the dunes i do timber tracks exploration and get a ton of unit exp, rank exp, some megacrystals,gil, and the bosses drop holy crystals.

Its worth it.

I maxed out a lot of characters with just 2 eggs before Gumi nerfed the EXP on Beasts of the Dark ADV.

Next time they make a boss that gives a load of exp and can be farmed with a good friend unit, I'm ready.

Really though, I'm all about QoL improvements in these games.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Tengames posted:

Its worth it.

I wish I could get auto-explore macros to reliably work without crashing. I've been tempted by the idea of using all my energy for the foreseeable future to hoard megacrysts, but sure as gently caress won't do it by hand.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Is the Phantom Woods generic megacyte drop still the best farming spot?

I need Odin, Carby, Diab, and soon to be Titan maxed out on the hop. The last Mog event not selling the megacyte kinda hurt, but the egg farming brought Ifrit, Ramuh, and Shiva to max.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

hagie posted:

Is the Phantom Woods generic megacyte drop still the best farming spot?

I need Odin, Carby, Diab, and soon to be Titan maxed out on the hop. The last Mog event not selling the megacyte kinda hurt, but the egg farming brought Ifrit, Ramuh, and Shiva to max.

Probably not anymore.

Better off to wait 'til you get to the fire nation. Timber Tracks has good megacite, megacrysts, and lots of unit XP.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I'm caught up to current content. Ugh Timber tracks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Dehumanize yourself and face to timber tracks.

• Locked thread