Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Jay Cutler was a top 20 quarterback in the National Football League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Quiet Feet posted:

Jay Cutler was a top 20 quarterback in the National Football League.

Top 15 even

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I remember a Bears Lions game, when Jay had a tissue paper oline and the Lions D led the league in sacks (or top 3) and I was so excited to see how many times we would sack Cutler.

Nooopppeeee

Cutler runs for his life the entire game and has a fantastic game while singlehandedly dodging the pass rush and we maybe only got to him like one time.

That's when I firmly believed Cutler is like the best bears QB ever and they didn't deserve him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hizawk posted:

I remember a Bears Lions game, when Jay had a tissue paper oline and the Lions D led the league in sacks (or top 3) and I was so excited to see how many times we would sack Cutler.

Nooopppeeee

Cutler runs for his life the entire game and has a fantastic game while singlehandedly dodging the pass rush and we maybe only got to him like one time.

That's when I firmly believed Cutler is like the best bears QB ever and they didn't deserve him.

Same but the Giants who weren't even doing a good job pass rushing that season and then came out and tied an NFL record by sacking Cutler 9 times in one half.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Jay Cutler never had a good game against the Dolphins and he is my spirit animal so I like him a bunch.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If Jay Cutler were a bear he'd be a panda. He doesn't give a gently caress.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Same but the Giants who weren't even doing a good job pass rushing that season and then came out and tied an NFL record by sacking Cutler 9 times in one half.

The Doug & OB show after that was the greatest radio that's ever been aired and I believe it should be in the Smithsonian, there is almost nothing funnier than people with insane chicago accents repeatedly saying "nine sacks in the first half"

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Doug & OB show after that was the greatest radio that's ever been aired and I believe it should be in the Smithsonian, there is almost nothing funnier than people with insane chicago accents repeatedly saying "nine sacks in the first half"

It was pure magic. Wasn't it determined he was concussed and they still put him out there?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers have a workout scheduled with Tre Boston.

How bad is he, Panthers fans

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

The Chargers have a workout scheduled with Tre Boston.

How bad is he, Panthers fans

can you spot him?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FizFashizzle posted:

can you spot him?
:stare: He kinda staggered like he was injured but I am guessing it was more staggering stupidity?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

FizFashizzle posted:

can you spot him?

He moves like he's wearing 10 layers of clothing.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

can you spot him?

Gross.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sataere posted:

It was pure magic. Wasn't it determined he was concussed and they still put him out there?

Idk, but he did end up leaving for a concussion. Then Collins came in and got hurt, and hanie finished the game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Volkerball posted:

Idk, but he did end up leaving for a concussion. Then Collins came in and got hurt, and hanie finished the game.

ah yes, a happier time back when the bears were respectable.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I also think it is disingenuous to call Cutler bad. Everything about his career numbers shows he is decidedly average. I think the problem is that his highs are spectacularly high and his lows are equally so.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
In a League with Brandon Weeden, Osweiler and <insert Browns starting QB here> its incredibly disingenuous. Cutler would legit have started on a lot of NFL teams a couple of years ago. Then he hit full dont care bear because the Bears didnt give a gently caress about trying to get him decent talent (sans Marshall and Jeffrey)

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Cutler is pretty much Eli if the latter had played most of his career for a lovely org instead of one good enough to get him in position to make two runs where he stopped chucking passes to the wrong jerseys. Highs where they occasionally look like one of the best QBs in the league, with some unbelievably wretched lows.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Durandal1707 posted:

Cutler is pretty much Eli if the latter had played most of his career for a lovely org instead of one good enough to get him in position to make two runs where he stopped chucking passes to the wrong jerseys. Highs where they occasionally look like one of the best QBs in the league, with some unbelievably wretched lows.

Eli had more highs I think. Cutler had maybe 3 top 10 qb seasons. He's more of a Jake Plummer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

Eli had more highs I think. Cutler had maybe 3 top 10 qb seasons. He's more of a Jake Plummer.

Assuming Cutler had 3 top 10 QB seasons that sounds a hell of a lot better than Plummer. Jake had one good season and a whole lot of poo poo. I mean he's a modern quarterback with a 1:1 career TD/INT ratio. Half of what people poo poo on Cutler for is throwing picks and he's thrown 62 more TD's than he has picks.

Plummer's a pretty cool guy though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

Assuming Cutler had 3 top 10 QB seasons that sounds a hell of a lot better than Plummer. Jake had one good season and a whole lot of poo poo. I mean he's a modern quarterback with a 1:1 career TD/INT ratio. Half of what people poo poo on Cutler for is throwing picks and he's thrown 62 more TD's than he has picks.

Plummer's a pretty cool guy though.

Plummer got into the league almost a decade before Cutler though. Cutler was the beneficiary of being born into a much more pass happy league that put bigger emphasis on developing qb's. So their career stats aren't a 1:1 match, but they're a hell of a lot closer than cutler and Eli's.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

Plummer got into the league almost a decade before Cutler though. Cutler was the beneficiary of being born into a much more pass happy league that put bigger emphasis on developing qb's. So their career stats aren't a 1:1 match, but they're a hell of a lot closer than cutler and Eli's.

Hence why I noted he's a modern quarterback. Your argument would make more sense if Plummer's career started in 1967 instead of 1997, but I'd take 1977.

The league in general started valuing ball security long before Jake came into the league.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 8, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Volkerball posted:

Rate+ is a player's passer rating for a season indexed to the league average for that season (where average = 100). So this is actually a piss-easy comparison. Source is pro-football-reference.com

Low: A=83, B=68, C=69
High: A=110, B=112, C=114
Average:A=100, B=97, C=94

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
A is Cutler, B is Eli, C is Plummer.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Those numbers hint at what I've always thought: Cutler is slightly better than Eli. Jay had a poo poo oline for an eternity, and really bad teams for the majority of his time in Chicago. His career reminds me of Romo's excluding that the latter was able to work through all the bullshit - which is an exception for nearly all QBs.

That's why Romo is great, Cutler is good, and gently caress you if you disagree.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cutler would have owned on the Texans. Glad they have a bad GM.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Year Cutler finally got an O-Line and weapons, are the years the Defense was the worst and second worst defense in franchise history.

Cutler got hosed by the stupid as gently caress Bears organization.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

Rate+ is a player's passer rating for a season indexed to the league average for that season (where average = 100). So this is actually a piss-easy comparison. Source is pro-football-reference.com

Low: A=83, B=68, C=69
High: A=110, B=112, C=114
Average:A=100, B=97, C=94

That's just passer rating though. Look how many 4,000 yard seasons Eli has compared to cutler. Hell, Eli almost cracked 5,000 once. Cutler could never generate offense like that. gently caress his efficiency stats.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Elephanthead posted:

Cutler would have owned on the Texans. Glad they have a bad GM.

You have a roster that's playoff ready.

There is an above average veteran QB interested in playing for your team.

Instead you reach for a raw QB prospect.

You are a professional NFL General Manager.

Nov 6, 2002

Volkerball posted:

That's just passer rating though. Look how many 4,000 yard seasons Eli has compared to cutler. Hell, Eli almost cracked 5,000 once. Cutler could never generate offense like that. gently caress his efficiency stats.

Passing yards is a garbage stat.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

There is an above average veteran QB interested in playing for your team.

They'd be dark horse Superbowl candidates with a good qb

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I bet Rick Smith's line of thinking is looking at last year's Cowboys and going "welp if they caught lightning in a bottle with Dak we sure as poo poo can with Deshaun! :haw:"

Nov 6, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They'd be dark horse Superbowl candidates with a good team.

To play devils advocate I can understand a little why they made that decision. The Texans have spent much of their existence getting burned by free agent quarterbacks who turned into pumpkins. Maybe after the latest debacle with Brock and then the failure to sign Romo they felled compelled to draw a line in the sand and draft a quarterback.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

There are two above average veteran QBs interested in playing for your team.

Fixed your post

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Was Romo ever going to join another team?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Was Romo ever going to join another team?

There was a ton of poo poo going on behind the scenes, with promises he wouldn't go to "certain" teams and Jerry possibly not releasing him because he A. wanted to see if someone would get desperate and B. he didnt want houston to get offseason media coverage which is absolutely insane but it's Jerry so I believe it.

Romo probably just decided he didn't want to lose his offseason fat again and wants to work one day a week and play golf the others.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

To play devils advocate I can understand a little why they made that decision. The Texans have spent much of their existence getting burned by free agent quarterbacks who turned into pumpkins. Maybe after the latest debacle with Brock and then the failure to sign Romo they felled compelled to draw a line in the sand and draft a quarterback.

There was no reason not to do both though, given they bought all that cap room. Sign Cutler to a Glennon-like deal and give him a shot while seeing what you've got in your new QB.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Passing yards is a garbage stat.

It's a big one to take into context.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball posted:

Lol at comparing Cutler to the guy whose job he took

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

Lol at comparing Cutler to the guy whose job he took

Trubisky confirmed for better than Cutler

• Locked thread