Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

Link the thread here and maybe I can help.

That's a good idea, here it is. I hope. Apparently I already misremembered a newer version of this thread, but looking it up showed me it started before I joined SA, so that was obviously wrong. Hopefully I didn't misremember anything else!

Anyway, over the weekend I looked up my sources (mostly German Wikipedia plus some Konrad Zuse related websites) and made tons of notes. There was a lot more stuff than I thought, mostly because I lucked out and found a paper describing some creepy stuff done by the Nazis involving Lochkarten.

I'm adding this and everything else I found together, but since I'm also supposed to work most of the day, it's slow going. Don't expect anything until at least the next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the logical interpretation of armoured cavalry to be concurrent with mechanized infantry is that you have a man riding a horse riding a tank.

How else are you going to pilot your horse robots, but to use a real expert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYtEFf0cBc

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 8, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mantis42 posted:

Dead horses are the glue that holds an army together - Napoleon, probably

In desperation in the retreat from Moscow, soldiers of Napoleon's army fed on the warm blood of the slowly dying freezing horses during the retreat. Like cut them open during the march and collecting blood straight from the wound into some sort of surface desperate.

Poor bloody animals.

Fangz posted:

How else are you going to pilot your horse robots, but to use a real expert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYtEFf0cBc

It is telling I knew what was going to be before I even clicked the link. I keep thinking that is going to end in tears with somebody slipping on the horse poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Soup Inspector posted:

I'd totally watch a film about Dogger Bank. At least from what I remember of reading about it in Castles of Steel it'd make a pretty exciting watch.

I'd also watch a film about Jutland to be honest.

Myself, I'd like to watch a movie about the Battle of Coronel. It could even get a sequel for the follow-up battle!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Goddamn I forgot how amazing that scene was. If nothing survives of our culture other than that video clip I'm kind of OK with that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you consider predreads, Battle of Moon Sound.

Uhhhh and not Tsushima?! I'd love to see a movie of that. I'm surprised Japan hasn't made one, actually.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Libluini posted:

That's a good idea, here it is. I hope. Apparently I already misremembered a newer version of this thread, but looking it up showed me it started before I joined SA, so that was obviously wrong. Hopefully I didn't misremember anything else!

Anyway, over the weekend I looked up my sources (mostly German Wikipedia plus some Konrad Zuse related websites) and made tons of notes. There was a lot more stuff than I thought, mostly because I lucked out and found a paper describing some creepy stuff done by the Nazis involving Lochkarten.

I'm adding this and everything else I found together, but since I'm also supposed to work most of the day, it's slow going. Don't expect anything until at least the next weekend.

If the hosed up forums haven't hosed up archive and search, you didn't post about Konrad Zuse in that thread. Your posts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495621&userid=186956

e: and here are your zuse related posts in the old milhist thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&pagenumber=835&perpage=40#post454429745
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&pagenumber=707&perpage=40#post451565373
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&pagenumber=707&perpage=40#post451559031
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&pagenumber=706&perpage=40#post451540780

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 8, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn I forgot how amazing that scene was. If nothing survives of our culture other than that video clip I'm kind of OK with that.

Several nods to BS:G in there :cylon:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Libluini posted:

Myself, I'd like to watch a movie about the Battle of Coronel. It could even get a sequel for the follow-up battle!

There is an entire movie franchise just WAITING for Hollywood to hear about it. Jutland is the version of The Avengers when all the past characters show up in one enormous battle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comstar posted:

There is an entire movie franchise just WAITING for Hollywood to hear about it. Jutland is the version of The Avengers when all the past characters show up in one enormous battle.

And the grand finale is a lot of flailing about with surprisingly little actually happening and the whole thing is a bit of a wash.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

feedmegin posted:

Uhhhh and not Tsushima?! I'd love to see a movie of that. I'm surprised Japan hasn't made one, actually.

Good news !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCmNtsxOFUo

Toshiro Mifune as Togo !

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fpuNirkwDY

There's this thing, I have no idea what it actually is though

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Man, I had forgotten all about Keldoclock, thanks for bringing that up again. (But no serious, thanks. I would have never been able to find those posts again on my own. Also holy poo poo, is that thin. Time to do this again, but better.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 8, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Against all odds Buzzfeed did a good article on the Radium Girls.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tias posted:

People oughta make some spergin' reconstructions with easier to maintain frames and engines, we more or less have the means anyway.

http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/id56.html

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Aliens, thousands of years from now: drat things were lit around here but I'm not surprised they all died.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

chitoryu12 posted:

Ironically, the only guns with a 100% reliability rate (firing every single round flawlessly) in the mud test were the AR-15, Luger, and CETME-L. The tight tolerances that are claimed to result in the AR-15 being easy to jam actually seal the gun from the elements and prevent mud and gunk from getting inside even if you smear it all over the bolt with the dust cover open.

They should try and Owen gun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23M6H_rec6Y

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cythereal posted:

And the grand finale is a lot of flailing about with surprisingly little actually happening and the whole thing is a bit of a wash.

Apart from all the loving exploding battlecruisers, you mean?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Like anyone cares about battlecruisers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The history of the procurement problems for this gun is basically military-procurement.txt

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Taerkar posted:

Like anyone cares about battlecruisers.

:Cryingjackiefisher:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Libluini posted:

Comstar posted:

I'm fine with both of these ideas. Also a newer film about Tsushima would probably be cool.

I also just realised that I was thinking of the Battle of Heligoland Bight earlier, which is just an embarrassing mistake to make. :doh: Although really you could probably squeeze an entertaining film out of that too.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Comstar posted:

As long as Beatty is the villain and Jackie Fisher is Nick Fury!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

A question brought about by random thoughts about jet fighters and popular media about them:

How realistic/possible is the "hit the breaks and they'll fly right by" maneuver as seen in Top Gun and some video games?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

JUTLAND THE MOVIE

The Rookie Captain Beatty is stymied by the uptight Jellicoe at every turn. While on a routine patrol, Beatty discovers the Imperial Navy's latest superweapon, the SuperDreadnaught ADOLF HITLER class. Rousing Jellicoe from his tea party (making him very cross), the two fleets engage - but disaster! Despite all the skilled and rapid British cannon fire, shells just ping off the thick German Krupp steel armour. Meanwhile British battleship explode one by one like the death traps they are. The dashing Beatty aboard his quick moving battlecruiser has a cunning idea - "speed is armour!" Dashing between the splashes from the German shells, he drops anchor in a totally unprecedented move, swinging behind the HITLER to shoot it in its weakly armoured rear. In this battle between titans, only one of them can lose the war! And the Germans did.

Inspired by real events.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

$200 million dollars.

That movie cost $200 million dollars to make.

I will forget the faces of my parents and the names of my friends before I forget that Battleship, a movie based on a boardgame that features an international coalition fighting off an alien invasion that use literal pegs as weapons, cost $200 million dollars to make.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That is kinda a dumb argument since most of the cost of making a movie like that is salaries - I.e. keeping a large number of people fed and housed and comfortably while they make the film.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I got to play with a 25-pounder and an artillery tractor at the VE day celebration in Toronto today, be jealous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched Under Siege this weekend, that's the best battleship-centric movie ever.

One thing I was a bit confused about, they spent a lot of focus on the actual gun loading procedure, but it looked like they were putting separate charges behind the shells before they fired them, did/does ship ordinance separate the shell and the propellant?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zoux posted:

I watched Under Siege this weekend, that's the best battleship-centric movie ever.

One thing I was a bit confused about, they spent a lot of focus on the actual gun loading procedure, but it looked like they were putting separate charges behind the shells before they fired them, did/does ship ordinance separate the shell and the propellant?

Yes because you might want to fire it a variety of different ranges or with a variety of different arcs for land bombardment, also wrangling a 16 inch shell is hard enough as is without it having the propellant attached.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The Iowa turret interiors and the loading/ammo systems are worth looking up if you've never seen them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ice Fist posted:

A question brought about by random thoughts about jet fighters and popular media about them:

How realistic/possible is the "hit the breaks and they'll fly right by" maneuver as seen in Top Gun and some video games?

Not really, unless you're super close and you have an actual air brake on your plane.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

Unrealistic. Even jet airlines take a long time,distance to bleed airspeed, let alone a super aerodynamic from fighter jet. Modern jet dogfights are nothing like Top Gun with the fighters keeps up really close behind the other. The fights are high speed knife passes at each other until someone explodes/goes down in flames.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

In desperation in the retreat from Moscow, soldiers of Napoleon's army fed on the warm blood of the slowly dying freezing horses during the retreat. Like cut them open during the march and collecting blood straight from the wound into some sort of surface desperate.

Poor bloody animals.

One of the details of the Andrew Roberts bio of Napoleon that stuck with me is the account of dehydrated soldiers dunking their head into puddles of horse piss to find relief.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

One book mentioned some starved soldiers reaching a supply depot in East Prussia who gorged themselves on flour and promptly died. Not sure if it was from the flour expanding their stomach or simply refeeding syndrome.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ice Fist posted:

It's not realistic at all. ACM is (broadly speaking) mainly about energy management, trading off potential vs. kinetic energy to stay in a part of your flight envelope where you can control the fight. A fancy speed-shedding maneuver like a Pugachev's Cobra will basically kill all your kinetic energy, not give you any potential energy in return, and while if there's a guy behind you he might "fly right by," that guy's wingman is now going to blow you up because now you're going really slow and can't maneuver worth a drat until your engines can accelerate you back up to a useful speed. It's fine for airshows but nobody would do that in an actual fight.

Animal posted:

Unrealistic. Even jet airlines take a long time,distance to bleed airspeed, let alone a super aerodynamic from fighter jet.

In terms of retaining speed, jet airliners are really super aerodynamic, way moreso than any fighter jet, which shouldn't be a surprise because fuel efficiency is much more important for commercial airlines than it is for fighters. A modern airliner will have a glide ratio that's something higher than 10 (at least 10' in forward travel for each 1' of altitude lost), a fighter's glide ration will be something around 1.

Take a look at the first few seconds of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcLavSl58yQ

And then ignore everything else that's on the screen because it's pretty much whatever the Soviet equivalent of being a wehraboo is. But that's a serious drop in speed, really fast. It's just not useful unless you want to win at airshows, which isn't something you should really win at.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 8, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fangz posted:

JUTLAND THE MOVIE

The Rookie Captain Beatty is stymied by the uptight Jellicoe at every turn. While on a routine patrol, Beatty discovers the Imperial Navy's latest superweapon, the SuperDreadnaught ADOLF HITLER class. Rousing Jellicoe from his tea party (making him very cross), the two fleets engage - but disaster! Despite all the skilled and rapid British cannon fire, shells just ping off the thick German Krupp steel armour. Meanwhile British battleship explode one by one like the death traps they are. The dashing Beatty aboard his quick moving battlecruiser has a cunning idea - "speed is armour!" Dashing between the splashes from the German shells, he drops anchor in a totally unprecedented move, swinging behind the HITLER to shoot it in its weakly armoured rear. In this battle between titans, only one of them can lose the war! And the Germans did.

Inspired by real events.

I hate you.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That's the biggest thing that bothers me with the new-er CG-filled WWII movies. They can sure make photorealistic aircraft with computers now, but they often make them move more like TIE fighters than like WWII piston-engine aircraft. Red Tails was full of this, as highlighted in the clip below. This "maneuver" is actually a big plot point in the film, if I recall correctly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlp2P9iO2I

Here's hoping that the new Hanks/Spielberg show about the 8th Air Force finally gets it right (I know the show is going to be about B17 crews, but there will be plenty of shots with fighters I'm sure)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MrMojok posted:

That's the biggest thing that bothers me with the new-er CG-filled WWII movies. They can sure make photorealistic aircraft with computers now, but they often make them move more like TIE fighters than like WWII piston-engine aircraft. Red Tails was full of this, as highlighted in the clip below. This "maneuver" is actually a big plot point in the film, if I recall correctly:

Nice experimental thrust vectoring Mustang he's got there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

In fairness that's basically an immelman compressed for movie purposes. The top gun intentional stall thing is just suicide in jets because you destroy your speed without gaining any energy back as altitude.