Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Freakbox posted:

Okay, I was bored...so i wandered around the house to take some shots of some of the old stuff in it. As a highlight, though- this nightmare, which has its own fire alarm.

I would love to rewire the first half of the house, but "inheriting a house" should indicate that wife and I are both lucky and as poor as hell. We're saving up for it, and this thing only seems to control two rooms.

We just try not to plug in anything more complex than a lamp. :catstare:

The resident evil people should come photograph poo poo in some parts of this house.

I'm gonna guess, based on what you said the lever does, that your grandfather installed a way to enforce bedtime.

If the kids don't sleep when you tell them to, just take away their electricity.

Are the 2 rooms it kills power to the rooms you parent/parents siblings slept in, and the hallway outside it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

WrenP-Complete posted:

I did the needful.

Way off, Caption Bot. If it were an old stove, a woman might have actually used it at one point in it's life.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

man, I wish I had pictures of the bathroom in my old apartment. I lived in a ground floor 1-bedroom that apparently wasn't zoned for residential, or something like that. When I moved in, the bathtub was already sinking a bit, i.e. you could see a gap between the top of the tub and the tile right above it where the faucet was. Not that big a deal, when I moved in I sealed it off with caulk so water wouldn't get in and didn't think twice.

A few months later, some cracks appeared in the floor tile. Big cracks. Like cracks in the concrete underneath the tile. Next I noticed that there was another gap where I had caulked it off. The cracks in the tile/concrete started getting bigger, and I finally contacted my landlord about it.

Turns out what I thought was a solid concrete foundation my apartment was built on, was some sort of unholy thing I still don't quite understand. From what I could see, it looked like my bathroom was built on a several-inch-thick concrete slab, and underneath was like 6 feet of open space and a bunch of wooden support beams. The guys who came to do the 2-week repair job told me that if I had filled the tub up with water and gotten in, most likely the entire tub with me in it would have fallen through the concrete and dropped 6 feet into this creepy abyss-like crawlspace.
It really felt like there was a loving sinkhole in my bathroom, and I moved out of there a few months after the repairs were done.

Actually, telling the story it seems like what happened to me will probably happen to OP's bathtub.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Kelp Me! posted:

Actually, telling the story it seems like what happened to me will probably happen to OP's bathtub.

i was about to ask who your landlord was tbh

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

RFC2324 posted:

I'm gonna guess, based on what you said the lever does, that your grandfather installed a way to enforce bedtime.

If the kids don't sleep when you tell them to, just take away their electricity.

Are the 2 rooms it kills power to the rooms you parent/parents siblings slept in, and the hallway outside it?

Oh my god, IT DOES. It's in their old bedroom and controls their room, dad's old room, and the hallway. That...sound like grandpa. :unsmith:

Also, Thank you for telling me about the cracks a ways back, goons - I'll worry much less about them now. There's no cracking anywhere else; someone just banged into it, I'd bet.

We rented this house immediately after they died because it was just too hard to live here, so the tenants probably screwed it up. They were good at screwing things up. :mad: I had to pull up almost all the carpet ((discovering beautiful wood floors underneath)) because they let their cat pee on the floor.

What the hell, guys? I know you were smoking pot constantly, but were you that stoned?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Freakbox posted:

Oh my god, IT DOES. It's in their old bedroom and controls their room, dad's old room, and the hallway. That...sound like grandpa. :unsmith:

Also, Thank you for telling me about the cracks a ways back, goons - I'll worry much less about them now. There's no cracking anywhere else; someone just banged into it, I'd bet.

We rented this house immediately after they died because it was just too hard to live here, so the tenants probably screwed it up. They were good at screwing things up. :mad: I had to pull up almost all the carpet ((discovering beautiful wood floors underneath)) because they let their cat pee on the floor.

What the hell, guys? I know you were smoking pot constantly, but were you that stoned?

Cats are assholes. I ended up ripping out the carpeting in the finished portion of our basement because my cat, as adorable as he is, will use carpet as a litterbox if you aren't around. I had vinyl plank flooring put in to replace it. I should probably get the carpeting on the stairs torn out but that can wait until I've got more spare money lying around.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
i'm here to say that i would never--never--use the f-word.

instead, i use alternatives that empower the womanly aspect, such as "herselves", or "shemales"

thank's

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Slanderer posted:

i'm here to say that i would never--never--use the f-word.

instead, i use alternatives that empower the womanly aspect, such as "herselves", or "shemales"

thank's

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

0/10 effort

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Dr.Smasher posted:

Cats are assholes. I ended up ripping out the carpeting in the finished portion of our basement because my cat, as adorable as he is, will use carpet as a litterbox if you aren't around.

This shouldn't be happening. May want to re-evaluate your litterbox setup: if your cat isn't using it preferentially then something's wrong with it. Might be a bad location, too shallow, not big enough, they might hate the litter that's in there, hate the covered litterbox, something like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

I for one agree especially considering how many times brontosaurus has been probated and banned for being either sexist or racist in the past. This place is way too full of niche inside jokes and references and it's lovely when those inside jokes become rules. What's next banning new people whenever they ask about the weight of concrete or trying to guess the contents inside a safe. . .

i am hoping this post is tongue in cheek because these forums have had dozens of bannable catchphrases in the past

Common Brushtail Possum

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

FoldableHuman posted:

This shouldn't be happening. May want to re-evaluate your litterbox setup: if your cat isn't using it preferentially then something's wrong with it. Might be a bad location, too shallow, not big enough, they might hate the litter that's in there, hate the covered litterbox, something like that.

I've tried all kinds of things. His boxes get thoroughly cleaned weekly. I've tried every brand of cat litter on the shelf at the store... different locations for the boxes. Since the carpet removal, he pees in the box exclusively. He just likes to get schwifty and poo poo on the floor sometimes. He will poo poo in the box if we're home.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

SoundMonkey posted:

0/10 effort

lol you're still a mod somehow

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dr.Smasher posted:

I've tried all kinds of things. His boxes get thoroughly cleaned weekly.

Weekly?

I think I know why your cat would rather poo poo on the floor.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I assume by "thoroughly" they mean swapping out all the litter etc for fresh litter, not just scooping it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gotta clean them daily, bro.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

"It was sunrise when Dominic Sterling, billionaire financier and playboy, stepped into his shower. The clear glass of the shower stall appointed him a luxurious view of the city skyline, obscured only by the dick- and rear end-prints he left on the glass each morning, perfect as the first frost and distinctly Dominic. Each smudged rendition of his most intimate region was a coup counted against the world, a mark of power.

"With an artist's careful hand, Dominic spread his cheeks and backed towards the glass. Yes, this was a fine morning to be alive."
Don't lie. If you lived in a 100th floor penthouse with a glass wall in the bathroom you'd start every day by mooning the city, too.

Anyway, I was browsing real estate listings and came across something that made me think of this thread.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Can't fit a sink in the bathroom? Install it in the hallway!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

Can't fit a sink in the bathroom? Install it in the hallway!

Sinks in the hallway seems normal in the UK. :shrug:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Is it just a weird perspective thing or all the doors, particularly that bathroom door, different sizes? And who thought it was a good idea to put the toilet inside the shower?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

TheDarkFlame posted:

Is it just a weird perspective thing or all the doors, particularly that bathroom door, different sizes? And who thought it was a good idea to put the toilet inside the shower?

Just think of it as an inverted bidet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's partly perspective, but the bathroom door is definitely smaller than the kitchen/living room doors. It's because it's probably a closet door.

That style of bathroom is fairly common in smaller inner-city apartments in Stockholm because a lot of the houses here are built in the late 19th/early 20th century and the small 1-bedroom apartments were intended as servant or worker housing and didn't have indoor bathrooms. When the houses were modernised showers and toilets were often built into existing closets.

e: You can see the plan in the second to last picture here. The last picture is the realtor's suggestion for how you could remodel it if you wanted (with no guarantee that it's actually possible wrt load bearing walls etc). https://www.karlssonuddare.se/till-salu/OBJ30326_1540759605/?view=gallery

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 8, 2017

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

That's gonna be some really soggy toilet paper if you shower with the door closed.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

It's partly perspective, but the bathroom door is definitely smaller than the kitchen/living room doors. It's because it's probably a closet door.

That style of bathroom is fairly common in smaller inner-city apartments in Stockholm because a lot of the houses here are built in the late 19th/early 20th century and the small 1-bedroom apartments were intended as servant or worker housing and didn't have indoor bathrooms. When the houses were modernised showers and toilets were often built into existing closets.

e: You can see the plan in the second to last picture here. The last picture is the realtor's suggestion for how you could remodel it if you wanted (with no guarantee that it's actually possible wrt load bearing walls etc). https://www.karlssonuddare.se/till-salu/OBJ30326_1540759605/?view=gallery

I was going to make a snarky comment about how that tiny closet sized apartment probably costs incredible amounts of money but then I looked at all the pictures and didn't care because Stockholm is awesome.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Reene posted:

I assume by "thoroughly" they mean swapping out all the litter etc for fresh litter, not just scooping it

Yeah it's this. Scooped out daily, sometimes twice or three times depending on usage, and emptied/washed/refilled weekly. We're not gross awful people.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Gotta clean them daily, bro.

Also one more box than the number of cats you have

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I was going to make a snarky comment about how that tiny closet sized apartment probably costs incredible amounts of money but then I looked at all the pictures and didn't care because Stockholm is awesome.

It's estimated at $340,000, so yes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Wow Stockholm seems to be in the middle of a Vancouver/Australia level of bubble.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Baronjutter posted:

Wow Stockholm seems to be in the middle of a Vancouver/Australia level of bubble.

Yes, but stilrent renoverat kök med fönster mot den fina innergården and badrum med kakel, klinker och trevlig duschhörna

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Also how can you say no to this remarkably swedish salesman? If he were to take me hostage I most certainly would, over time, learn to understand his motives and, perhaps, grow to love him

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

His beard is certainly minimalist in a very Nordic way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

It's also $340k starting bid. Co-ops like that one are sold on auction and you can expect the closing price to be at least 15% higher. Closing 25% higher or more is not uncommon.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So I live in an apartment building that was built in 1912. These are my bathrooms.

Panorama image of main bathroom (with bonus goon!). Approximate measurements: 8x12 feet.

Guest bathroom. Approximate measurements: 3x5 feet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Other than all the exposed ugly plastic piping it looks fine.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I'm a fan of the toilet paper shelf as a decoration.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Unironically

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

So I live in an apartment building that was built in 1912. These are my bathrooms.

Panorama image of main bathroom (with bonus goon!). Approximate measurements: 8x12 feet.

i'm the TP placement

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Someone I dated had a bathroom about the size of that guest one with a little 3x3 shower stuck onto it. You can tell I really loved her because I'm 6'3" 225lbs and used a bathroom that size for years. My poor elbows.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is this the share your bathroom thread? Here's our perfectly functional little one.

I could do with a couple extra feet but it's otherwise totally fine. Got one of those racks that hangs off the shower head for in-bath storage, works fine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You and I have very similar bathrooms only there is a window where your mirror is which goes across to the bath and the last person painted the walls light brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

learnincurve posted:

the last person painted the walls light brown.

I hope that's not a euphemism.

• Locked thread