Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Aku is still so down. :( I hope he gets a little excited when he's told Jack doesn't have his sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Moon Slayer posted:

I may only be 21

So you reged at age 11??

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So for the folks saying Jack otherwise had no reason to stay in the future without a physical relationship with Ashi... Wasn't it a connotation of her journey that there are a poo poo-ton of people who love and respect Jack, who needed him and owe him their happiness? Do all those people he affected not matter if he doesn't personally get something out of it? Like the fluff ball said?
50+ years of saving lives and you decide not to undo hundreds of years of terror because you got a new girlfriend and man, that tang is sweeeeeet!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Especially considering this is just him taking a break from his on-again, off-again relationship with the Scotsman.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Mom and river of corpses: You never came back! You were the only hope we had! We died hoping you'd save us!
Jack: SHUT UP, MOM, I'VE GOT A GIRLFRIEND AND WE'RE IN LOVE!
*Pointedly makes out with Ashi as Dead Mom floats by*

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
If you held a gun to my head I would have told you the Food Vendor was Zoidberg

turns out it was!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6726402/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

*edit* poo poo thought I went back far enough to search for this amazing revelation

LegoMan fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 8, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Das Boo posted:

So for the folks saying Jack otherwise had no reason to stay in the future without a physical relationship with Ashi... Wasn't it a connotation of her journey that there are a poo poo-ton of people who love and respect Jack, who needed him and owe him their happiness? Do all those people he affected not matter if he doesn't personally get something out of it? Like the fluff ball said?
50+ years of saving lives and you decide not to undo hundreds of years of terror because you got a new girlfriend and man, that tang is sweeeeeet!

his personal relationship with Ashi represents the culmination of all those other relationships or something

also please stop trying to complain about episodes that haven't come out yet

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Augus posted:

his personal relationship with Ashi represents the culmination of all those other relationships or something

I accept this more than the "but he has no reason to stay unless he's in a romantic relationship" nonsense.

E: Wait, when did I complain about future episodes?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Wait, can we complain about cybernetic episodes of Samurai Jack past from the future?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Das Boo posted:

I accept this more than the "but he has no reason to stay unless he's in a romantic relationship" nonsense.

Hmm...well, this is the possible theory thing I was talking about, and I didn't want to share it in case it didn't turn out to be true, but...what if Ashi's life is tied to Aku's? And whatever her Mom did to her turned her into a sort of horcrux for Aku? Jack literally cannot kill Aku unless he kills Ashi too? It would even fit in really well with Episode 9's summary, which states that Aku "finds out a truth about Ashi that puts her in danger".

How would you feel about THAT sort of drama?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I still think Jack and Ikra can make it work. :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fionordequester posted:

Hmm...well, this is the possible theory thing I was talking about, and I didn't want to share it in case it didn't turn out to be true, but...what if Ashi's life is tied to Aku's? And whatever her Mom did to her turned her into a sort of horcrux for Aku? Jack literally cannot kill Aku unless he kills Ashi too? It would even fit in really well with Episode 9's summary, which states that Aku "finds out a truth about Ashi that puts her in danger".

It would really, really depend on the execution. I'm finding myself more hesitant to trust not so much the ideas of the writers, but the way they're presented. Ashi confronting Mother as Jack recesses into his own mind to retrieve the sword were both excellent concepts with poor execution.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Source your goddamn quotes people

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fionordequester posted:

...drat that's actually good. Even though this romance is bad, I still care enough about Jack for that to be interesting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fionordequester posted:

So what you are saying is that Jack wants to gently caress Aku? :v: The sword symbolizes his penis and

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, he got closer than he'd like to admit with Ikra...

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Gynovore posted:

So you reged at age 11??

The guy is obviously stealing those lines from some fanboy on tumblr. I didn't need to spend three seconds on google to confirm this, but I did so anyways because it only took three seconds.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Snipee posted:

The guy is obviously stealing those lines from some fanboy on tumblr. I didn't need to spend three seconds on google to confirm this, but I did so anyways because it only took three seconds.

Would you mind linking the original post?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I don't know why you wouldn't just put it in quote tags rather than try to convince everyone you're an idiot.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Megaspel posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't just put it in quote tags rather than try to convince everyone you're an idiot.

IF that IS what actually happened. Plagiarism's a serious crime, so I'll wait for hard proof before making any judgments.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Das Boo posted:

I don't know who was making the argument that he has no reason to stay unless he's in a relationship, but from a writing perspective a relationship does help bring all those other connections together into one person and one question. When Jack was preparing to take his own life, it was because he understood his mission only as undoing Aku, and if he couldn't do that then any further struggle was futile and only hurting the people around him. Ashi saw the many people he had helped and talked him out of it by highlighting what he'd done in the present, helping both them and her. There was a gap there that someone had to bridge.

Strictly speaking it doesn't have to be a romantic relationship, but it should be a personal one. If they'd stuck with the ragged, weary Jack even after he got his sword back, mentor to student could work just as well. A different take on the season could've had it be Jack partnered up with the elderly Scotsman, playing up their decades of cooperation and contrasting the Scotsman's connection to the world (ageing, children) to Jack's separation. Having someone to specifically represent Jack's investment in the present helps the theme of the show, in a way that just the broader coalition of acquaintances Jack's helped can't on its own.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't even care about any name portmanteaus, I just think this plot is bad writing and surprisingly clunky storytelling.

And it's depressing seeing the audience regress to "well it's just a kids show what were you expecting :eyeroll:" when the first few episodes didn't need that because they were, you know, actually good. Imagine that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mycot posted:

And it's depressing seeing the audience regress to "well it's just a kids show what were you expecting :eyeroll:" when the first few episodes didn't need that because they were, you know, actually good. Imagine that.
Yyyyep.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Dolash posted:

A different take on the season could've had it be Jack partnered up with the elderly Scotsman, playing up their decades of cooperation and contrasting the Scotsman's connection to the world (ageing, children) to Jack's separation.

A legitimately good idea, that could have easily been the arc from episode 5-9 (while still culminating in an Aku standoff with eyeblast and ghost)

There are plenty of themes from scifi that could have been brought in - hell, even from Bicentennial Man.

"Just nuts and bolts" could have been brought back to refer to himself. An episode could focus on the Scotsman's family, and jack could have an existential crisis - if Jack is stuck in an endless cycle of violence and without any human connections and doesn't even age, can he even call himself human any more?

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
It was a bad episode. Only redeeming part was the hat scene, IMO. The music was bad. The monster was boring. Everything else was pretty cringey/weird.

I didn't want Jack and Ashi to be a thing, but it could have been done a lot better. They could have capitalized on the previous episode and have Jack teach Ashi about controlling her rage after murdering a thousand people plus her mom. It could have been a bonding moment and help the audience understand how Jack has changed because of his mediation. Maybe give Ashi an understanding of what it means to be a Samurai or whatever and then he has an epiphany that he can recreate the past in the future with Ashi. That's why the hat scene worked.

Or maybe instead have goofy teenage foreplay. IDK.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Jack and Ashi could have felt more natural and legitimate if it had more time to develop instead of be something that occurred because they suddenly felt compelled to like each other for the episode's sake. Would it have still felt awkward? Would there still have been teenage awkwardness from one if not both people involved? Sure, but it's just a problem of a 10 episode affair. If you wanted the Ashi romance this quickly, maybe you shouldn't have literally had her borne and sent to kill him the first several episodes. Maybe that could have been implied backstory and they already have been traveling for a while with those sort of feelings starting to stir from episode 1.

On one hand I think its unfair to have these opinions and on the other hand I don't. I really didn't need to be conflicted on, much less be frustrated from something that started out so cool. Goddamn it, Gendy. You are still doing well. Please don't loving up the ending.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Crabtree posted:

On one hand I think its unfair to have these opinions and on the other hand I don't. I really didn't need to be conflicted on, much less be frustrated from something that started out so cool. Goddamn it, Gendy. You are still doing well. Please don't loving up the ending.

Man; that'd be one messed up ending :ohdear: .

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gynovore posted:

So you reged at age 11??

Yeah I noticed that too.

That was a really holier than thou post that amounted to, "Now I'm only [AGE] but here's my 2 cents about my favorite shows Naruto and South Park and I love slash fan fiction and happy if it becomes canon. Ya'll need to grow up."

I'm sorry he's so offended that we don't particularly care for plotline the show is ending on. If only I had the benefit of Naruto Slash Fan Fiction to teach me good values. :jerkbag:

edit:

Moon Slayer posted:

The fact that I can drop unsourced tumblr posts into the thread and they don't stand out should tell you something about the level of discourse in TVIV.

Oh it's a gimmick.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 9, 2017

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jack really should go back to the past. He can do whatever he wants for now but he better go back to the past.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Jack still doesn't age in the future, so I don't know how a relationship with Ashi can last.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

One thing that I thought was really good in the episode was how the green tiger guys really looked like how people look on the subway. Most were kinda looking up into empty space, avoiding eye contact.

Also, Ashi's face in profile looks like it'd fit into Leia's bounty hunter mask from Return of the Jedi really well.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hypocrisy posted:

Jack really should go back to the past. He can do whatever he wants for now but he better go back to the past.

I guess we can't know for sure for another week or two but I'd maybe brace for disappointment on that point. The whole season's had a pretty big "letting go of the past, live in the present" angle. It'd be weird to spend so much time on the setting and people of Aku's present only for Jack to ultimately undo them, and any ending where he beats Aku in the future then goes back to beat him in the past to create two different timelines would be sort of a cop-out.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Prediction:

EP9: Jack and Ashi hunt for a time portal, while at the same time holding hands and making goo-goo eyes and feeding each other bits of rainbow fish and poo poo like that. Scaramouche's head finally gets to Aku.

EP10: They find a time portal, maybe the Guardian's. At the same time, the head tells Aku that Jack had lost his sword. Aku, re-energized, flies off to fight Jack. Aku and Jack fight to a stalemate. Jack is about to jump into the time portal, but he realizes that doing so will cause Ashi to cease to exist. Jack agonizes over it for a long time, then either jumps in, or does not and resolves to stay and fight Aku's tyranny here.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I actually enjoyed this last episode, not because it was good, but because I was laughing at how bizarrely out of left-field and stupid it was. Maybe if I had more investment in the series I'd have been annoyed, but it was just so drat stupid and ridiculously cheesy. Not saying it was a good episode at all, but it was certainly unbelievable.

Also perhaps the ultimate "good" ending, that hasn't been brought up I don't think yet, could be that Jack doesn't return to the past, instead he rescues his friends and family from there and brings them to the future where Aku's evil has lost.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Well, I think it was kinda weird that Jack didn't air last week, but I'm pretty excited for this week's episode nonetheless.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Just watched the latest one, and holy cow was that ever a bad episode. It was almost worth it for reading the real-time reactions in this thread, though.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

We'll pretend it's like the Tsukihime anime and say it doesn't exist.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Megaspel posted:

Maybe if I had more investment in the series I'd have been annoyed

You are posting in TVIV. There is nothing more to invest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I've watched 7 episodes of this so far, and went to load the next one up and realized I just did not care about it enough to watch it anymore.

I think there are some very good ideas in this season but I do not think this is a good season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I watched all 3 episodes of the season and had a blast. It was a really bold move to end the series with Jack's death from a fall rather than in a climactic battle with Aku, but it was a risk worth taking

• Locked thread