Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

None of the story events where romance is brought up in anyway are influenced by your Joker having a relationship with a character in that scene.

It's particularly egregious when you're in Hawaii at the scene with Ann/Ryuji and Joker and they're talking about what they find cute and if Ann and Joker are dating, there's not even a sweat effect trying to brush it off or from them trying to keep their dating a secret.

Little things like sweat drops or an additional line of dialogue showing they're beating around the bush with relationships would go a distance to making the game deeper and more lived in.

e:

Tell a lie, there's one scene that is affected by it.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

None of the story events where romance is brought up in anyway are influenced by your Joker having a relationship with a character in that scene.

Actually that's not quite true. There's a scene late in the game where they're all chatting together and the protagonist gets asked in passing if he thinks he'll get married one day. Choosing yes gets an "I see...:allears:" reply from his girlfriend if they're a party member.

It really could've used a few more bits like that though, yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What makes me sad is that some of those wouldn't even be that hard to work in. It would've just been like two or three more lines for that Hawaii one to make Ann nervous about her hidden relationship with Joker, or have her hesitate briefly when Sojiro asks if she has a boyfriend. (Weirdly, Ann is the only character who really ends up in those positions--for the most part, relationship stuff doesn't come up in story scenes anymore by the time you could be dating any of the other Phantom Thieves, with the sole exception of the marriage question, which does have a small reaction to what you say.)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually that's not quite true. There's a scene late in the game where they're all chatting together and the protagonist gets asked in passing if he thinks he'll get married one day. Choosing yes gets an "I see...:allears:" reply from his girlfriend if they're a party member.

It really could've used a few more bits like that though, yes.

I wish there'd just been like sweat drops or something if more than one girl reacts to Joker's marriage answer there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

What makes me sad is that some of those wouldn't even be that hard to work in. It would've just been like two or three more lines for that Hawaii one to make Ann nervous about her hidden relationship with Joker, or have her hesitate briefly when Sojiro asks if she has a boyfriend. (Weirdly, Ann is the only character who really ends up in those positions--for the most part, relationship stuff doesn't come up in story scenes anymore by the time you could be dating any of the other Phantom Thieves, with the sole exception of the marriage question, which does have a small reaction to what you say.)

The Lovers Arcana S.Link is generally the inferred default girlfriend character for the protagonist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Lovers Arcana S.Link is generally the inferred default girlfriend character for the protagonist.

That was true in Persona 3, but in 4 it's possible to read Rise's crush on Yu as just a funny crush, and Ann doesn't really show any interest in Joker outside of her social link. There's not really a default love interest in Persona 5 like there was in 3. (And if we go back before 3, it's the Moon character in Persona 2: Innocent Sin who's the canon love interest.)

I think the last story scene "romance" thing before the marriage part is Makoto clinging to Joker's leg and then denying he's her boyfriend, and that happens before you could realistically be dating her so there's no reason for that to be influenced. (Except maybe in NG+.) It just doesn't really come up again after that, or if it does, it's in a "choose who to hang out with for this event" context.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 8, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
An expansion to scenes where people react more to stuff you're doing would be pretty high on my list of things I'd want from a remaster, if only because Ryuji's "oh poo poo" reactions if you decide to tell the gang would be hilarious.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

For a minute there I thought you were referring to the Moon S-Link from Persona 3, which certainly would have been a surprising choice for canonical love interest, if nothing else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

There's not really a default love interest in Persona 5 like there was in 3.

It's Makoto. Everything about her reads as the generic default love interest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

While we're talking about things that would be cool in an expansion/rerelease, here's my wish list:

1. A bonus dungeon. I don't care how they do it. It's easy enough to get to level 80+ in this game and there are some cool as hell level 90+ Personas. Give me a whole dungeon where levels like those are actually necessary.

2. More social links crossing over into the story. I loved it when Takemi was the one you called to check on Futaba, for example. A couple more scenes like that would be awesome. And just add a few lines here and there so that the game recognizes if you're dating someone when it's relevant--that isn't that often, and it wouldn't take much.

3. Scenes where the Phantom Thieves hang out with each other when Joker isn't around. Specifically, I think it'd be cool if you could run into Phantom Thieves hanging out while you're out with another social link character. There are already some scenes kinda like that--for example, if you go to the bookstore with Makoto you can run into Hifumi, at which point they both briefly get jealous of each other, then Makoto's like "Oh he's just here to hold my books," and then they ignore Joker and be shogi nerds together. That was hilarious, I loved that scene. I want more of that, and the possibility of running into people in pairs, like Futaba dragging Yusuke around Akihabara, or Ryuji and Ann eating crepes together, Haru and Makoto nerding out over study guides, Haru taking Morgana out for sushi, that kind of thing. You could run into them if you go to that place with someone else and just have a little non-voiced scene.

Yeah, but after the fourth Palace or so they don't really push her anymore. I agree that she's the closest to an in-game "default" love interest, but she's not pushed nearly as hard as I remember Yukari being, for example. (That said, Makoto is also Best Girl, so if she is the "canon" love interest I'm call for it :v:)

The manga is apparently leaning way into Joker/Ann, though I'm not sure if Makoto's even been introduced in the manga yet so maybe it's just going full harem manga.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

She's definitely the game designers' love interest, for drat sure. (I got spoiled on her ultimate weapon.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rangpur posted:

She's definitely the game designers' love interest, for drat sure. (I got spoiled on her ultimate weapon.)

They really shoulda named that gun Overkill

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

One of my favorite side scenes is when you and Ryuji run into Kawakami at the fishing pond

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of my favorite side scenes is when you and Ryuji run into Kawakami at the fishing pond

"Call her Master Kawakami"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

"Call her Master Kawakami"

That was :discourse:

Joker best MC

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Harrow posted:

Ann doesn't really show any interest in Joker outside of her social link. T

at the same time her first scene has an anime cutscene where joker is essentially replaced by a character from an old droopy the dog cartoon due to his "holy poo poo, a girl" reaction

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

darealkooky posted:

at the same time her first scene has an anime cutscene where joker is essentially replaced by a character from an old droopy the dog cartoon due to his "holy poo poo, a girl" reaction

Oh for sure. Ann doesn't show any interest in Joker but he full-on creepy stares at her when he first sees her

Which is kinda even worse once she talks about how nobody cares about anything but her looks and Kamoshida's pressuring her to have sex with him and :smith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Let's not forget our introduction to Yusuke through the magic of ~Stalker Vision~ after Ann has come up to Joker a few times because she feels like someone's been watching her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And the initial deadline for the second palace being Ann having to pose nude, which I'm sure is illegal with her being a minor.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In real life, you'd totally be telling Ryuji to take Yusuke into a side alley to teach Yusuke a couple of lessons about stalking at his intro.

Waffleman_ posted:

And the initial deadline for the second palace being Ann having to pose nude, which I'm sure is illegal with her being a minor.

~japanese laws of consent yadda yadda~

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Twelve hour in and im still on palace 1, i just discovered you can go out of the castle and into "normal live". Now im buying things to finally enter the treasure chamber. After i beat voleyball man i can go back to the palace to retrieve the locked chest or isnt worth it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regarding the whole "the game focuses too much on Ann being hot" thing, I appreciate that her role is supposed to be the femme fatale, using her charm and looks to get enemies to lower their guard or give up information they shouldn't. That's perfectly fine for something taking a lot of cues from heist stories. But I wish that Persona 5 didn't focus it entirely on her looks, because she's actually pretty terrible at the rest of the femme fatale package. She's often forced into the role by the others (most often Ryuji) and even when she isn't, she's a terrible actress so she has to rely on her looks getting men to look right past what she's actually saying.

I mean, haha men are stupid and think with their dicks, sure, but it'd be great if Ann really was a great actress and capable of charming her way past anyone's defenses and relished her ability to just outright play people. That'd be a lot more fun, if nothing else.

At least the "Ann has to pretend to pose nude for Yusuke" plot got us this

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
After you beat a boss you are done and you can never return to that palace.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Twelve hour in and im still on palace 1, i just discovered you can go out of the castle and into "normal live". Now im buying things to finally enter the treasure chamber. After i beat voleyball man i can go back to the palace to retrieve the locked chest or isnt worth it?

You can't go back into a Palace once you beat the boss. However, after you send the calling card, the only things you can do the night before going in to fight the boss are either sleep or make infiltration tools, so make some lockpicks that night and grab the locked chests on your final run.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

You can't go back into a Palace once you beat the boss. However, after you send the calling card, the only things you can do the night before going in to fight the boss are either sleep or make infiltration tools, so make some lockpicks that night and grab the locked chests on your final run.

but they are worth it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

but they are worth it?

They often contain equipment and, later on, rare consumables like strong SP restoratives or Bead Chains, so they're pretty worth it. Lockpicks don't really cost anything (especially if you do your crafting the night before the heist, when you can't do anything else anyway) and you should be crafting infiltration tools to increase your Proficiency anyway, so you might as well. Plus, the locked chests should be marked on your map now, so you can just zip around to nearby safe rooms and grab them before the boss.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

They often contain equipment and, later on, rare consumables like strong SP restoratives or Bead Chains, so they're pretty worth it. Lockpicks don't really cost anything (especially if you do your crafting the night before the heist, when you can't do anything else anyway) and you should be crafting infiltration tools to increase your Proficiency anyway, so you might as well. Plus, the locked chests should be marked on your map now, so you can just zip around to nearby safe rooms and grab them before the boss.

Thank you! Im now at the top of the tower, so i should craft lockpicks and retrieve those chests, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Thank you! Im now at the top of the tower, so i should craft lockpicks and retrieve those chests, right?

Have you reached the treasure? I'm not sure what part you're at, but just so you don't end up leaving prematurely, basically you just need to reach the treasure, then you'll be required to leave. Then you spend a day sending a calling card, and the next day you go back in to fight the boss on the final run. (You might already know this, but just to make sure everything's clear)

If you haven't sent the calling card yet, craft lockpicks at your desk the night after you send it, because you'll automatically go into the dungeon the next day after school. Then yep, go get those chests.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

I mean, haha men are stupid and think with their dicks, sure, but it'd be great if Ann really was a great actress and capable of charming her way past anyone's defenses and relished her ability to just outright play people. That'd be a lot more fun, if nothing else.
i 100% agree with this part, but I also like the Ann we got where she knows she's extremely attractive, but also she's kinda goofy and she knows that too.

Like she's bad at acting cause she gets flustered easily. She eats crepes 24/7 and she really shouldn't do that but she texts you after class to get food with her anyway. She really likes female villain characters and loves it when her model rival is mean to her cause she sees she can be like that too.

Confident Ann that liked playing people would own, but I also appreciate goofy Ann

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

Have you reached the treasure? I'm not sure what part you're at, but just so you don't end up leaving prematurely, basically you just need to reach the treasure, then you'll be required to leave. Then you spend a day sending a calling card, and the next day you go back in to fight the boss on the final run. (You might already know this, but just to make sure everything's clear)

If you haven't sent the calling card yet, craft lockpicks at your desk the night after you send it, because you'll automatically go into the dungeon the next day after school. Then yep, go get those chests.

no i still havent retrieved the treasure but im at the top of the tower and now im in the city selling things and upgrding my weapons

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Yes, make lockpicks the night you send the calling card. It's all you can do that evening anyway.

You frequently get SP recovery items from the locked chests, which is critical in the early and mid game (SP is your real "timer" for exploring Palaces and Mementos). You sometimes find nice weapon and armor upgrades too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

WhiteHowler posted:

Yes, make lockpicks the night you send the calling card. It's all you can do that evening anyway.

Not true, you can make coffee too!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

no i still havent retrieved the treasure but im at the top of the tower and now im in the city selling things and upgrding my weapons

Okay, so you'll need to go a little further first. Once you reach the treasure you'll get kicked out for the day--you don't get to fight the boss right away--and then you have to send a calling card, after which you should do your lockpick-crafting.

Moltrey posted:

i 100% agree with this part, but I also like the Ann we got where she knows she's extremely attractive, but also she's kinda goofy and she knows that too.

Like she's bad at acting cause she gets flustered easily. She eats crepes 24/7 and she really shouldn't do that but she texts you after class to get food with her anyway. She really likes female villain characters and loves it when her model rival is mean to her cause she sees she can be like that too.

Confident Ann that liked playing people would own, but I also appreciate goofy Ann

Yeah, I really like goofy Ann, too. I think what I'm envisioning is that confident femme fatale Ann would be something she could switch on, that she does when she absolutely has to, but for the most part she's still goofy and eats a ton of crepes. I guess that might be too much of a contrast, though. Maybe if she turned out to actually be a natural at a certain kind of acting? Or would that be too many things for her to be effortlessly good at?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ChaosArgate posted:

Not true, you can make coffee too!
Sojiro is too drat stingy with his s-link points, so I gave up my career dreams of being a superstar barista.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't sweat it if you miss a locked chest.

If it's not a lockpicks for proficiency day or a get your rear end to bed because you sent the calling card and you're only allowed to make coffee or craft slot, it's not worth spending the time making picks for them at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's also true. Locked chests are sort of a "might as well grab them if you have the lockpicks but don't sweat it if you don't" thing.

Crafting infiltration tools is the easiest way to raise Proficiency for most of the game so you should definitely do it, but don't worry about it if you don't have enough to open all the locked chests or anything like that.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Few quick questions since I've been mostly avoiding this thread so I can enjoy my first persona game blind:
* How do you use the guaranteed down gun skill you get from the tower arcana? Haven't been able to figure that out.

* Is there any guide as to which each of the persona stats do? I.e. Strength is pretty self-explanatory but does endurance cover all damage or just physical? Is agility purely turn order or does it affect dodging as well? Is luck 100% just for critical hits or does it cover things like battle rewards, item drops, etc?

* Is there any guide to which fusions of persona's arcana leads to which arcana as a result? Or just a pure guide of "fuse X and Y to get Z?" Starting to realize that I'm missing out on a few advanced fusions because I didn't realize I should be nabbing at least one of every persona that appears in a palace before finishing it.

* The reporter woman (Ohya?) and the fortune teller, am I right in assuming that their co-op links are kind of useless? I'm about 40% of the way through both and neither of them have impressed me.
Edit: Actually the fortune teller's social stat/ money boost, how effective are those? Is getting the money boost and then doing a palace grind session worth it to stock up on cash?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Few quick questions since I've been mostly avoiding this thread so I can enjoy my first persona game blind:
* How do you use the guaranteed down gun skill you get from the tower arcana? Haven't been able to figure that out.

* Is there any guide as to which each of the persona stats do? I.e. Strength is pretty self-explanatory but does endurance cover all damage or just physical? Is agility purely turn order or does it affect dodging as well? Is luck 100% just for critical hits or does it cover things like battle rewards, item drops, etc?

* Is there any guide to which fusions of persona's arcana leads to which arcana as a result? Or just a pure guide of "fuse X and Y to get Z?" Starting to realize that I'm missing out on a few advanced fusions because I didn't realize I should be nabbing at least one of every persona that appears in a palace before finishing it.

* The reporter woman (Ohya?) and the fortune teller, am I right in assuming that their co-op links are kind of useless? I'm about 40% of the way through both and neither of them have impressed me.
Edit: Actually the fortune teller's social stat/ money boost, how effective are those? Is getting the money boost and then doing a palace grind session worth it to stock up on cash?

The gun skill is another option you get when Joker pulls out his gun.

Here's a fusion chart for question 3:

Ohya's bonus isn't great and really I just hang out with her for the charm boost. The fortune telling boosts are really handy to have though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

1) When you pull out your gun there's a prompt for it on screen.

2) I'm not totally sure myself

3) Yeah, there are calculators and the like. Also a guide on Gamefaqs that shows what arcanas lead to what

4) The fortune teller link has the most powerful boosts in the game in terms of time saving. Her ability to increase affection and stat gains saves a fuckton of time. Money, not as much. Ohya's is not useful at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hit Triangle when you have your gun out. Only Joker can do it.

Strength is physical damage, both with your weapon and Persona physical attacks. Magic is magical damage. Luck also affects the chances of landing a status ailment (and also how much money enemies drop if they're confused). Agility definitely affects turn order and I'm not too sure about dodging, someone else probably knows.

Yep. But really there's no reason not to use a fusion calculator like this one: https://chinhodado.github.io/persona5_calculator/#/list

Don't worry too much about nabbing every Persona you run into. You can fuse any Persona you could find and even if you don't want to, you can also find them in Mementos.

Ohya's useless. The fortune teller is really, really good. Get a Luck Reading any time you know you're going to try to increase a social stat, and use Affinity Readings to help you get past those "relationship isn't ready to become closer" parts with confidants. She's the whole reason I was able to max all confidants in my playthrough--she's pretty amazing.

The money reading is totally worth it, too, if you remember to get it before you go into the Metaverse that day. It's not make-or-break but you'll make your money back within a few fights and after that it's just more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Fortune teller is number 1 priority A+++

I've literally never seen Ohya's skill work. I have to imagine it's a mistranslation because I can literally just go rack up alert level even though it says I can't.