Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

My (25/F) boyfriend (28/M) of two years turns every minor topic into a debate.

:murder:

Learn to recognize the prophylactic apology and the argument-ender apology. These apologies only exist so that you're not "allowed" to be mad any more. Hugh did this all the time, so that story is just me going "yep, yep, yep, he's going to keep doing that and it will never stop."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pick posted:

Learn to recognize the prophylactic apology and the argument-ender apology. These apologies only exist so that you're not "allowed" to be mad any more. Hugh did this all the time, so that story is just me going "yep, yep, yep, he's going to keep doing that and it will never stop."

I'm glad we've come to know bitter wheelchair floor painting man on a first-name basis.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Dude knocked up a 15 year old and made her get an abortion didn't he?

Look on the bright side. At least he didn't knock up a 15yo and force her to keep it (and then inevitably ghost on her).

Nazzadan posted:

This seems likely. Also adds credence to her not actually being 19

Nah, it was either he made her get an abortion or made her get birth control like an IUD. I can't see someone referring to some paperwork as "had a...procedure..." like that.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Haifisch posted:

hot take: it's borderline abusive to share bad ideas with your bf then get mad when he points out they're bad

Pick posted:

But how do you distinguish between someone giving a prophylactic, and someone who honestly thinks they're right but also recognizes a relationship means more than "winning" every argument, which is probably a healthy respectful way to think?

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 8, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

hot take: it's borderline abusive to share bad ideas with your bf then get mad when he points out they're bad

None of her examples really seem like something anyone should argue over tho, like boss was obviously a dick, it's her business what food she wants to eat, and while yeah you can't stop creeps from sexualizing 15 year olds that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to pursue their hobbies and interests.

He just sounds exhausting.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

But how do you distinguish between someone giving a prophylactic, and someone who honestly thinks they're right but also recognizes a relationship means more than "winning" every argument, which is probably a healthy respectful way to think?
If you think you're right 100% of the time you're probably wrong most of it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah. Most dudes of Gor were just sword fodder or menial workers, arguably with less rights than the women!

Even in perverted sex fantasies, the Class War rages on

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

maskenfreiheit posted:

Look, my boyfriend told me he would give me venture capital for any business idea I came up with, so he has no right to reneg just because I want to make heelys for dogs!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Naerasa posted:

Look, my boyfriend told me he would give me venture capital for any business idea I came up with, so he has no right to reneg just because I want to make heelys for dogs!

One of my favorite sagas.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

None of her examples really seem like something anyone should argue over tho, like boss was obviously a dick, it's her business what food she wants to eat, and while yeah you can't stop creeps from sexualizing 15 year olds that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to pursue their hobbies and interests.

He just sounds exhausting.

I might have a unique perspective since I have a background in policy, but I think people underestimate how bad online abuse can be. I think it's totally valid for him to express concern for these young women. That being said, her saying they can turn off comments and will require parental permission is probably a pretty easy fix.

Also I may be bringing in my own baggage, but I really dislike being "talked at" by partners, and I think while mansplaining is a big issue, being expected to sit passively and do nothing but nod and give affirmation is equally insufferable.

ArbitraryC posted:

If you think you're right 100% of the time you're probably wrong most of it.

No, if someone raises something I didn't account for I go "oh, good point, I didn't think of that". I'm wrong a lot of the time, but if I don't understand why someone thinks their position is right I'll asked a few questions.

I've found phrasing things as questions works a lot better.

Example:
"What if people leave lewd comments on the youtube?"

vs

"That's a bad idea - people will leave lewd comments"

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 8, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

You're stupid. I'm sorry I said that. You're stupid though. Dumb as a brick shithouse mortared in turds. Sorry.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
kickstarter proves that rollder skates for dogs is completely viable as a business plan. like duh, obviously, i'm sorry we live in a world where that's true, but pet spending is one of the few areas that never decreases and there's only so much a person can humiliate their cat with bow ties

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i can tell im dumb because heelys for dogs sounds amazing

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Goddamnit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When you film yourself doing this to your dog, please use your full legal name in the video title.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also there's a huge amount of spending that boils down to "thing person will use 1 time and it doesn't work that good so it collects dust forever" and by god dog roller skates are going to be one of those things and he missd the boat and now his wife is going to nag him about the millions they lost, for years and years

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Narcissist:

Me [33f], have fallen in love with another man and need advice on whether to leave my husband[30m].

quote:

u/Thrownaway3355
Here is the situation: I've been married to this man for 6 years. No kids. We relocated to a new city a few years ago for his job. At my new job I met another man, who I have fallen deeply in love with. I know this is super cliche and I can hear your groaning through the web, but it's true. I have been having an affair for almost 2 years.

I understand the statistics, and I understand all the things people say that are in this situation. The fact is that I think I would rather be with this man. Aside from the sex being everything I've ever wanted, he is exactly like me. Our interests and personalities for each other match SO much better. We have vastly more fun together, even doing the most mundane stuff. I think my life would be much better with this man.

My husband is an amazing guy. He is everything you could want in a husband. He's nice, caring, a hard worker, and he takes care of me. We get along great, hardly ever fight. The issue is that the sex is seriously lacking, both in frequency and quality. We also don't share a lot of the same interests. It almost feels like we are room mates. We get home and spend most of our time doing separate things.

Honestly, when I met my husband and we dated for a long time, I had never thought that I could find someone better. I thought this was the best relationships got. I didn't think I could find someone that I could connect with so deeply on so many things. I simply didn't know it existed.

Here are my concerns: 1. As silly as this may sound, I am terribly afraid that my husband will not be able to find anyone in this area if I leave him, and I'm worried that he will be unhappy the rest of his life and it will all be my fault. Not to mention that I would be leaving him completely out of the blue and I already have someone to fall back on and he doesn't. I desperately do not wish to hurt him. 2. We have shared pets that we both care deeply about. I don't think I could leave them solely with him, or take them permanently. 3. I love his family, and they have done SO much for me, and taken care of me. I couldn't imagine how awful it would be to throw that in their faces by destroying their son emotionally. 4. If I leave, I am not sure I could live with myself. I'm not sure if I could even enjoy my new life over the guilt of doing that to my husband.

Please give me some perspective. I need help. If you have gone through this please let me know your thoughts.

Also, I know how this sub is. I know there are a lot of people who have been cheated on and hurt, and people who despise cheaters more than anything on the planet. I know the things that you guys are going to say. I know you are going to tell me what an awful piece of poo poo I am and how horrible I am. I get it. But I'm legitimately seeking help and advice and that stuff simply isn't going to help.

tl;dr I am having an affair, and don't know if I should leave my husband.

From the comments:

quote:

quote:

I guess I should add that I think he is very happy with me and our relationship. This is one of the things that makes it so hard.
ONLY BECAUSE HE DOESN'T KNOW HIS WIFE IS loving SOMEONE ELSE.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

Also I may be bringing in my own baggage, but I really dislike being "talked at" by partners, and I think while mansplaining is a big issue, being expected to sit passively and do nothing but nod and give affirmation is equally insufferable.
I mean for some examples yeah, like I dated someone that would have an easy to fix problem, make no effort to fix it, complain to me about said problem constantly, and get huffy if I suggested they go with the easy solution, that poo poo's exhausting and everyone ends up unhappy. In her example tho her boss literally made a mistake and reamed her for it, there's literally no reason to defend the boss or do anything other than say "that poo poo sucks, did she at least apologize?". It's not a scenario that requires advice or fixing and he certainly shouldn't have taken the boss' side.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

When you film yourself doing this to your dog, please use your full legal name in the video title.

as a libertarian i feel that the government shouldn't be involved in a dog's decision to wear heelys on their own property

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Haifisch posted:

I dated this person for three months and they ended up hitting me and storming out because we had differing opinions on cinnamon and I gave up instead of arguing, which is what he wanted to do. I "didn't have enough passion" for him. Passion against cinnamon.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Milotic posted:

Narcissist:

Me [33f], have fallen in love with another man and need advice on whether to leave my husband[30m].

From the comments:

ONLY BECAUSE HE DOESN'T KNOW HIS WIFE IS loving SOMEONE ELSE.

Why leave him? It's worked for two years

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

maskenfreiheit posted:

Are you the lovely boyfriend here and if so, why didn't you also defend your excellent restaurant behavior?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean for some examples yeah, like I dated someone that would have an easy to fix problem, make no effort to fix it, complain to me about said problem constantly, and get huffy if I suggested they go with the easy solution, that poo poo's exhausting and everyone ends up unhappy. In her example tho her boss literally made a mistake and reamed her for it, there's literally no reason to defend the boss or do anything other than say "that poo poo sucks, did she at least apologize?". It's not a scenario that requires advice or fixing and he certainly shouldn't have taken the boss' side.

to be honest i was half paying attention and didn't see the other two, egregious examples - just the ballet one.

Anyone who wants to tell you the correct food to order is weirdly controlling.

Also anyone who doesn't understand the difference between wanting validation (yeah that's lovely) and sharing an actual idea is not a good match.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Barudak posted:

Lets make it worse: Breast Reduction

My brains not working today, it took a few seconds to get that. Then the horror set in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Hell, sympathizing with a boss at all is a red flag, imo.

Solidarity.

"The boss has to yell to manage the office well" like gently caress off out of here, that's not how poo poo works.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milotic posted:

You know, sometimes I wish if things like this were proven in a court of law they could put on your drivers license just below height and eye color "Bad Person"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

You know, sometimes I wish if things like this were proven in a court of law they could put on your drivers license just below height and eye color "Bad Person"

The issue is that the sex is seriously lacking, both in frequency and quality.

It's the husbands fault

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I like how she has a 2 year ongoing affair where she has great sex with this other guy (that's likely exciting in large part do the taboo) and turns around and complains about the frequency/passion of her sex life with her actual husband as if the two have nothing to do with each other. Maybe you'd be loving your husband more often and more passionately if you weren't diverting all your emotional and physical energy into a second relationship, just a thought.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Listen, I aint sayin we cant have criminal neighbors, no offense George, Im just sayin I dont want one o' them bad types moving in and ruckusing up the place.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Hell, sympathizing with a boss at all is a red flag, imo.

Solidarity.

"The boss has to yell to manage the office well" like gently caress off out of here, that's not how poo poo works.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ArbitraryC posted:

I like how she has a 2 year ongoing affair where she has great sex with this other guy (that's likely exciting in large part do the taboo) and turns around and complains about the frequency/passion of her sex life with her actual husband as if the two have nothing to do with each other. Maybe you'd be loving your husband more often and more passionately if you weren't diverting all your emotional and physical energy into a second relationship, just a thought.

Well she also frames staying with him ( probably still loving that dude though) as a favor to him so she has some issues.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The SO that insists that sometimes you have to yell to make an inferior perform correctly is not a good SO, especially if they yelled this, at you

e: and APRICOT CHICKEN DOESN'T GO WITH TURNIP GREENS YOU MISERABLE WHORE. DON'T YOU DARE ORDER OR ENJOY THAT

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 8, 2017

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

The SO that insists that sometimes you have to yell to make an inferior perform correctly is not a good SO, especially if they yelled this, at you

But what do you expect them to do? Just listen passively while being talked at and agree with everything? Seems like nonsense to me and furthermore my expertise on policy gives me a unique insight into

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
how dare you order a meal with what I project is a substandard flavour profile

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Well you can't hit them anymore so what are you supposed to do

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, don't argue with someone who knows and likes horses about what a "pony" is. It's not a baby horse. Don't argue with me that it's a baby horse! It's not a baby horse! A baby horse is a foal (genderless), a filly (female), or a colt (male). Why are you still arguing with me and saying you think I'm wrong? Look, we're heading to the stables, to meet my friend, who has a horse, and there will also be a pony there, but that pony is not a baby horse. It is an adult pony. Yes, I know what I'm talking about!! You say you've never even touched a horse!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Well you can't hit them anymore so what are you supposed to do

Don't hit your partners, people jfc.

That's what children are for.

Me [26F] dating a guy [27M] and he told me this weekend that he will 100% be physically disciplining his future children. Relationships

quote:

236 points 224 comments submitted 10 months ago by Whywiththespanking to r/relationships

I've been dating a great guy for the past couple months and we get on pretty well together in general. Similar work ethic, sex drive, hobbies in common, etc.

This past weekend we were laying around his apartment talking and I think we were talking about my sister and his sister and the topic of children came up. I told him it's going to be a trainwreck when my sister has kids because she is so impatient and that I'm sure she's going to do whatever is easiest (slapping or spanking) to get them to behave.

He very nonchalantly tells me he would never not hit his kids because that's how you get bratty children. I told him that psychologists have shown that hitting kids is not a correct/beneficial way to discipline children and that things like that are illegal in many places in Europe because they are detrimental to healthy emotional development.

He tells me 'I was spanked and I turned out fine.'

I respond 'That's great but that doesn't mean it is the right way to raise children.'

We went around in circles for a while before I just called done and said I wasn't engaging any more. He agreed and went to make us food and we sat on the patio and ate quietly afterwards.
I really like this guy and obviously neither of us has children yet but I'm looking for a long term partner.

tl;dr: Guy I've been seeing wants to spank and smack future children as discipline. Do I dump him based on hypothetical children that don't exist yet? Just have fun and break up if things start gravitating towards something more serious? He also deserves to not have me waste his time because I know he likes me a lot but I can't bend on this issue even a little bit.

Never stop never stopping (hitting your children)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I didn't think I could possibly care any less about horses but well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
This thread is really just about Pick.